Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this!

Posted by: robricc

Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 19/09/2002 15:10

If you have a Pioneer DVD burner drive, there is a problem with the current firmware and high speed blank media. Read about it here:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/

I just applied the updated firmware to my drive.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 19/09/2002 17:05

Hmmm. Something else to do. Sigh.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 21/09/2002 19:20

how is that drive rob? im been thinking about buying one.. worth it?

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 21/09/2002 19:27

I have an A04. So far I have only converted one Ozzy VHS to DVD, but it worked. The DVD-RW discs don't work in my JVC player, but the DVD-R are just fine.

I think Sony is coming out with a drive that will write both DVD-RW and DVD+RW and will priced less than $400. If it's not vapor, I would probably wait for that.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 22/09/2002 10:55

How about the HP burner I've heard about? Right at $400. I hear the hardware is fine, the software that comes with it sucks. No first hand knowledge though.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 22/09/2002 15:33

ya im thinking about waiting like 3 or 4 months, dvd burners seem to be taking the same route as cd burners did back in 98-99
Posted by: greggerm

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 23/09/2002 08:14

How about the media costs... I know that I shouldn't expect CD-R -like costs, but what are the average media costs for DVD burners? For storage purposes, is the cost per MB cheaper than CD-R's?

I'm interested, but not yet convinced.
-Greg

Re: Pioneer DVD Burners. Read this! - 23/09/2002 08:46

I pay about $2 per disc. The cost per disc goes down a lot when you buy more at a time.