Ooh! Pretty colors!

Posted by: wfaulk

Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 06:50

It would seem that the empeggers are now blue and some of the rest of us (the particularly cool ones of us, I'm thinking ) are green.

Whee!
Posted by: ElectricD7

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 07:37

Wish i was cool
Posted by: mlord

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 07:49

Oh yeah, welcome to the Carpal Tunnel club, Bitt!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 08:13

Hmmm, am I cool?

Edit: <Duff Man>Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah! Duff Man looks good in Green!</Duff Man>

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 08:15

Thanks! You, too!

I managed to get there before my new job actually has some real work for me to do.
Posted by: XslamfaceX

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 08:50

i am jealous.
Posted by: loren

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 10:34

ooo... greeen. Am i cool am i cool?

damn skippy
Posted by: davec

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 10:50

Just checkin' what color I am today...

edit DOH! Stupid yellow!!!

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 11:17

It occurs to me that it's probably based less on coolness factor than ond windbag-ness factor. YMMV.

It's definitely not based on how useful our posts are. If it were, I'd be invisible or something.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 12:20

Greetings!

I just turned green. Sometime today when I wasn't watching. But I didn't reach a new title... Soon, perhaps... What is the criteria for the colors?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 12:25

post_count > 1000 (I'm guessing)
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 12:26

Here's my take on the colors:

Yellow: You're cool.
Green: You're cool and you have way too much time on your hands.
Red: You're cool and you wrote the Empeg FAQ, or run the Empeg BBS.
Blue: You're cool and you work for Empeg.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 13:04

Red: You're cool and you wrote the Empeg FAQ, or run the Empeg BBS

Close. Red is the Admin/Moderator color now, instead of having two colors. Thus Dionysus should be red now. Rob, well, Up to him about red or blue, since he falls under two categories.

I implemented it last night, and the change only takes effect at that point.
Posted by: Terminator

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 14:22

Cool, im green now! I feel so special.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 14:37

Yes, aren't the colors pretty

Anyway, let's see if I change....this is my 800th post. I'm gobsmacked that I actually noticed....
Posted by: genixia

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 14:41

Doh!

Terminator and I are both 'Old Hands' but he's green and I'm not...what's with that?!

I guess he must be special. Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything...

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 14:56

The cutoff for green is @ 1000

Sean
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 15:07

Ah, so the titles and the colors do not have the same cutoff points. Tom, you might want to change that to prevent confusion.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 15:20

How about a FAQ entry noting the issue instead ;-)

Sean

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 16:15

Tom, you might want to change that to prevent confusion.

Hmm, well, that would mean I'd have code to change

Right now, the color changes are completly manual. I picked 1000 because it was suggested in the general thread for the threshold of custom titles. I'll update the BBS faq with info about the colors. Glad everyone likes the changes, Mark was the test to see what everyones reaction was.
Posted by: svferris

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 19:33

Am I green yet?

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 19:33

Am I green yet?

(enough of these and eventually I will be...)

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 19:41

Oh yeah, bringing back the titles and colors was a great idea.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 19:44

Weren't "titles" gotten rid of because of post count last time? So perhaps abusing things to change colors isn't the greatest idea?

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 19:57

Well, I will point out in defense of titles that this was about color, the color thing is new, and I actually don't care for the colors

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 20:33

Some people just don't understand humor...

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 22:10

Bah.
This post says otherwise.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 03/10/2002 23:04

Oh sure...respond with over-my-head Linux humor.

I suppose I should call you so you can laugh at me.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 00:48

(enough of these and eventually I will be...)

It is still a manual process, and I could always keep it this way to torment people for making posts like this <evil grin>
Posted by: muzza

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 00:57

?
Posted by: muzza

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 00:58

!!

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 07:43

Well, the explanation is I'm involved in development of a system which uses a feature of the Linux kernel which RedHat deliberately patched away in RedHat 8. This patch, which was written by a coworker of mine, ignores the fact that the symbol for the variable isn't exported, finds it anyway, and essentially patches it in. It is, at many levels, wrong.

That said, I'm bitter enough about the whole thing that I ended up making that offer. Or perhaps promise, depending on how you look at it.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 07:45

>Mark was the test to see what everyones reaction was.

Thankfully, nobody noticed or commented on it. And now that the proletarian masses are also green with envy, I feel safe again!

Cheers

-ml
Posted by: tms13

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 09:00

In reply to:

Red is the Admin/Moderator color now

So how do we tell them apart from mortals (who also appear red)?

[Edit - I've only just enabled author colours in my browser (for unrelated purposes) and came back here with colours on. Maybe I did something wrong?]
Posted by: rob

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 09:25

Rob, well, Up to him about red or blue, since he falls under two categories.

I'd like a blue "R" and "b" and a red "o".

Rob

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 09:50

Man, the convergence on this monitor sucks! That looks more like:
 o

R b
to me.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 09:58

Yeah, I had exactly the same problem. Unfortunately, lining the red and blue up made all my white text go funny.

Since I don't want my eyesight to go odd (well, not until after the pub this evening), I've put it back.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 04/10/2002 14:19

So how do we tell them apart from mortals (who also appear red)?

[Edit - I've only just enabled author colours in my browser (for unrelated purposes) and came back here with colours on. Maybe I did something wrong?]

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this. Anyone who is red has always been an admin in the past. And i'm not aware of any of the BBS skins changing the normal user to red.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/10/2002 00:48

Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking it was some joke that had been encoded to base 64, and I wasn't about to spend the time unencoding it.

Nothing like patching patches.

Note: my attachment is just my icon. Figured I'd just get it into the empeg system like everybody else.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/10/2002 02:07

My banned name would be green EDIT: nevermind, no it wouldn't.

can you make someone multicolored?
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/10/2002 09:19

How about in addition to colours, we get a random name appearing instead of our own? Now that would truly be something confusing.

Though I still think invisible would be the coolest of all.

Bruno
Damn, I have to get some real work done sooner or later...
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/10/2002 15:32

You mean you didn't see my invisible post just before yours? JEEZ.

-Zeke

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 04:15

In reply to:

i'm not aware of any of the BBS skins changing the normal user to red.

Normal users have always been red (see below) - what colour did you expect?

Posted by: Roger

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 05:16

Yellow:

Posted by: Dignan

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 05:44

Hmm, very interesting. I'm so used to important people being special colors. At least now everyone but me falls under that category

Drakino, you may have to make the cutoff higher actually. I mean, there's a dozen people within 200 posts of it. Just think, if these are the people who post most often, do we want all the names turning green?

ps-come on people, lets not be posting about our post counts or color status. we don't want to incur the wrath of the message board gods. I'd suggest mentioning it at the end of a normal post if you must.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 07:07

This is what I see, but I know I've seen it the other way, maybe when I had stylesheets disabled.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 07:57

Normal users have always been red (see below) - what colour did you expect?

As Roger shows below, yellow, or a darker blue on some skins. What browser are you using? The screenshot below is what I see when using your set skin of "desert"

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 09:58

I'm using Mozilla 1.0.0.

I think the problem is that you don't suggest a colour at all for mortals, and the names are links - meaning that we get our normal link colour. In my case, red.

Whilst looking for this, I was reading the stylesheet (http://empeg.comms.net/stylesheets/stylesheet2.css), and I noticed that a lot of elements specify color but not background-color, or vice-versa. This is a Bad Thing to do, as it means that you can end up with a foreground colour from the site's stylesheet and a background from the user's stylesheet, for example - and I really dislike black-on-black . You wouldn't see this yourself with the most common user stylesheet (or browser's built-in fallback stylesheet) where most elements are specified with { color: inherit; background: transparent; }.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 10:18

I think the biggest problem is that UBBThreads has turned to crap as of late. If I get some spare time, I'll try to go through the stylesheets and clean up the mess. It looks like 5.5 is here to stay for the BBS for a long time out, so I might as well fix what I can.

Is there any BBS software out there that dosen't suck at some level? I'm begining to think no.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 10:23

From what I've seen, this software sucks the least.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 10:27

Agreed.

There are too many worthless features in other packages that just make boards load slow and look cluttered.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 10:56

All I know is that I like my phpBB. It has about triple the amount of user features that this one does. But I'm not sure how well it would work with such a large user/data base. But it does run on php, which I would imagine would be easy to integrate with riocar.org, not that I want it like that.

But even if we switched to another board, we'd need to be able to move all our users, settings, and archives over into the new format, and that would be very hard, even if a new board supported the conversion.

Besides, some wierd, minor style bugs are hardly a reason for going ahead with a process like that.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 11:48

I guess I should make myself clear, I wasn't looking at migrating this board to other software, I was just curious for other projects down the road.

Besides, some wierd, minor style bugs are hardly a reason for going ahead with a process like that.

Well, the minor style bugs just adds to my list of issues with this software. Poking at the code is not a ton of fun. Reminds me quite a bit of PHPNuke actually. The FAQ code driving Tony's masterpiece and the Developer section is pretty much completly rewritten from scratch. The rest of the code is riddles with hacks and patches I did to work around some annoyning issues. And this has left me at a point of not easially being able to upgrade RioCar.Org to anything newer. Of course, the good question is why would I want to. The BBS software here would add a ton of annoyning features with no way of disabling them via a config file. Upgrading RioCar.org would probably add very little benefit, as PHPNuke and others are more aimed as news site software.

Oh well, don't mind my ranting. It's liable to happen any time I go and touch the code.
Posted by: loren

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 09/10/2002 11:54

But I'm not sure how well it would work with such a large user/data base.

Trust me, it could EASILY handle this board. I host Wil Wheaton's site, and he uses phpBB... it is unfarkingbelievable how much traffic that thing gets.

http://www.wilwheaton.net/phpBB2/

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/03/2004 13:43

I've now reached 1000+ posts. Have I earnt an upgrade?

If you need convincing, I have contributed some good stuff, such as the Peugeot stalk adapter resistor network and the playlist DSSSL stylesheet, in addition to the usual inane waffle...

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/03/2004 14:55

I haven't pulled out the green stick in a while, was hoping to get the boards migrated first before doing too many more hacks to the database.

Don't worry though, your not alone in this neglect. I have several people that need to be turned green on my list.

Re: Ooh! Pretty colors! - 05/03/2004 17:25

Thanks, Tom.