Hand built harpsicord.

Posted by: muzza

Hand built harpsicord. - 03/11/2002 23:00

What's so unusual about that? well check it out
http://www.henrylim.org/Harpsichord.html
Posted by: lectric

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 03/11/2002 23:06

Good lord... Just when you think you've seen it all.....
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 07:52

Why, God, WHY???
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 11:14

I could have sworn someone linked that harpsichord here on this very BBS a while ago. I sent it in to Blue's and he posted it as a Link Of The Day. This was a month or two ago...
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 12:47

Because he could?

It sounds absolutely excellent. Download the clip.
Posted by: number6

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 13:29

Actually it sounds more like a Lute than a Harpsicord.

Still its an amazing achievement - a testimony to the power of "The Linux of kids toys" - LEGO.

And to think, with all the money he spent on Lego for this thing, he probably could have built himeself a Harpsicord and a baby Grand piano in wood for the same price!

I recall when at school, that one of the older students built an actual harpsicord in the woodwork classes over a number of years (about 4 I think) - he played it in front of the school assembly not long before he "graduated" from the school - it was amazing to see and hear.

Kind of invoke memories of that line from "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" along the lines of
"go play your harpsicord!"
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 16:51

My parents have a friend who builds regular wooden harpsichords. He's done 3 or 4 now, and has a room dedicated to them. Why is this unusual? Well, he doesn't even play!
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Hand built harpsicord. - 04/11/2002 19:20

Greetings!

I can understand this, even if I can't explain it. I have a strange craving for archaic instruments (lute, harpsichord, crumhorn, etc.), but cannot play a note. I haven't tried building any yet, though... I guess obsession will take its course in the ways that are best suited to the individual.