Audiocatalyst with XP

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 06:58

I installed audiocatalyst on my XP machine and i can't rip CDs with ASPI any more, the box is greyed out.

After some internet searching I discovered this is a known problem, but even after installing adaptec drivers it still won't work.

Any ideas?
Posted by: tman

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 07:01

I had this problem when using EAC with XP. There isn't any ASPI support in XP as you're supposed to use the native NT calls. I also installed the Adaptec ASPI layer and it sort of worked but it was kind of flakey and would die every so often.

How did you install the Adaptec drivers? The package you get off the Adaptec page only lets you install if you've got Adaptec hardware.

- Trevor
Posted by: andy

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 07:15

How did you install the Adaptec drivers? The package you get off the Adaptec page only lets you install if you've got Adaptec hardware.

If you Google for aspi_me you will find an exe that installs the Adaptec ASPI drivers even if you don't have an Adaptec card. You have to set the clock back on your PC to 1998 to install it though, the exe was time limited. Once you have done that you can upgrade the drivers to the latest version with the versions from the Adaptec website.
Posted by: peter

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 07:43

The package you get off the Adaptec page only lets you install if you've got Adaptec hardware.

Since about July, they've been giving it away to anyone, apparently.

Peter
Posted by: Roger

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 07:45

The package you get off the Adaptec page only lets you install if you've got Adaptec hardware.

Actually, you can now get a copy of ASPI v4.70 from Adaptec's website, no strings attached -- you don't need Adaptec hardware anymore. I guess they got fed up with people simply copying it anyway.

Unfortunately, v4.70 is flakey. Grab a copy of v4.60 from somewhere else. I think that the aspi_me stuff will do that.

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 10:00

Thats exactly what I installed but my aspi setting is still greyed-out. Where can i get v4.6? Is this more likely to work?

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 11:03

The site I grabbed it from seems to have been taken down -- not just the ASPI drivers, the whole site.

Damn.
Posted by: number6

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 18/11/2002 13:49

Hi PM me your email address and I will email you a copy of the ASPI 4.60 installer I have that works with AudioCatalyst v2.1.
I have used this version on both XP and Windows 2000 and its the only version that works on both these OS'es AFAICT.

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 19/11/2002 06:02

All sorted now, thanks Greg!
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 27/11/2002 18:37

If you're still interested, Adaptec updated (v4.71.2) it's aspi drivers on their website on nov 23rd. Might be worth checking out...

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 28/11/2002 02:58

Yeah, but do they actually work?
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Audiocatalyst with XP - 28/11/2002 04:12

No idea, I don't use audiocatalyst. I just figured since it's an update the bug that was talked about might be fixed.