DVD problems

Posted by: Dignan

DVD problems - 24/11/2002 00:13

I've got a Toshiba DVD drive, and I'm having playback issues. It's a bit jittery, and the sound crackles a lot. What can I do to fix it??
Posted by: Daria

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 10:08

How fast of a machine is it in? What OS? What playback software?

Or do you mean a player?

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 10:41

I've got an Athlon 2100+, so speed shouldn't be a problem. I'm in Win2K, so that migght be, and I'm using the DVD player in ATI's multimedia center (a pretty current version, too).
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 11:15

Win2K: Does the DVD drive appear in device manager as DMA or Ultra DMA (versus PIO)?

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 12:59

I cant find any mention of DMA anywhere in the device manager or the drive's properties. Where do I find it?
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 15:56

I cant find any mention of DMA anywhere in the device manager or the drive's properties.

My bad. That setting is actually under the "Advanced" tab on the IDE controllers. Whichever IDE channel your DVD is on (assuming it is IDE) should show DMA or UltraDMA. If not, you may have some BIOS/CMOS tweaking or other tweaking to do. That's where I'd start, anyhow.
Posted by: genixia

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 19:45

Toshiba drives are known for being solid performers, and the recent ATI MMCs are also pretty solid. I'd also guess that DMA is to blame.

I'd recommend investigating zoomplayer (www.inmatrix.com) for a DVD app front end though.

Re: DVD problems - 24/11/2002 22:38

Thanks guys, it was the DMA. Now it works just fine, and I'm enjoying Tim Burton's superb "Nightmare Before Christmas" at the moment. Danny Elfman is my hero.