4 wheel motorcycle?

Posted by: drakino

4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 21:25

What is this?

(Captured off a random clip from TechTV)

Posted by: ninti

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 21:42

It is the Dodge Tomahawk with a Viper v10 (yes v10) engine that does something approaching 400mph.

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 21:55

Ahh, thanks. Don't know if I'd ever be brave enough to ride that thing. Definitly not built for mountain riding :-)

Also, thanks for the quick response. My friend was amazed about the power of the "Off Topic" forum.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 21:59

Now all we need is a working Recognizer and we're all set.

End of line.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 22:42

That got passed around at work here a couple days ago. The first thing I thought was "That's not a motorcycle, just a skinny car."
Posted by: Daria

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 22:51

Seeing the CEO of the Chrysler Group wearing a leather jacket and riding one (on one of those news sites, not in person) was very amusing.
Posted by: number6

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 22:55

That news link has a photo [attached] that makes the whole thing with rider look not unlike the "light bikes" used in the movie TRON....
Posted by: muzza

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 23:30

Is it just me or would that thing be a nightmare on corners?
Posted by: genixia

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 09/01/2003 23:32

Is it just me or would that thing give you some serious groin strain? It's f***ing huge.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 10/01/2003 01:14

its probably american they don't do corners

Posted by: ashmoore

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 10/01/2003 06:28

This is proof that so many companies "just don't get it".
The dodge guy said "The Tomahawk is a scintillating example of what creative minds can do when given the opportunity to run free. It is a pure mechanical sculpture and a joyous celebration of the artistry and emotion of design."
I can't believe he is a brit.
So they design a motorcycle, completely ignoring the basic fact that bikes have to lean to go around corners. Isn't that a bit like designing a taxicab without passenger seats?
Or as they used to say at home, its about as much use as a Chocolate teapot/Trapdoor in a canoe/fart in a spacesuit. The local version seems to be "tits on a boar hog", just add any suitable colorful saying here.
Posted by: peter

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 10/01/2003 06:39

So they design a motorcycle, completely ignoring the basic fact that bikes have to lean to go around corners. Isn't that a bit like designing a taxicab without passenger seats?

You never know, it might auto-lean in an eldritch kind of APT/Pendolino sort of a way. What's better than a 400mph motorbike? A 400mph motorbike that decides on your behalf when it's going to corner...

Peter

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 10/01/2003 10:21

According to some specs I found:

STEERING:
Type: Dual hub center type.
Steering Linkage: Rocker arm and push/pull rod with roller bearings. Polished billet aluminum steering yoke with turned aluminum grips and billet levers
Steering Lock: 20 degrees, left and right
Lean Angle: 45 degrees, left and right

So, it still can lean, and probably about as much as some of the luxary cars on two wheels, aka the Gold Wings.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 13/01/2003 15:52

That news link has a photo [attached] that makes the whole thing with rider look not unlike the "light bikes" used in the movie TRON....

Hence my Recognizer comment, earlier in the thread...
Posted by: Yang

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 13/01/2003 17:17

Check out how much drag-motorcycles can lean..
Posted by: MarkH

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 13/01/2003 21:10

Sadly, this 4-wheeled motorbike is no longer in production:

http://www.supercars.net/garages/Drivevm/9v2.html
Posted by: lectric

Re: 4 wheel motorcycle? - 13/01/2003 21:22

Aw shucks, if you want it to lean, just goose the throttle, the torque will take care of the work. (just so long as you only want to turn left, always.)