Neds!

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:05

How many of you know what a 'ned' is? Here in Scotland, its a person with clunky gold chains and big soverign rings, a white Kappa tracksuit with the bottoms tucked into sports socks, orange Fila trainers and a baseball cap sitting on top of the head at 45 degrees. Rab McGlinchey from BBC's 'Chewin the Fat' is a prime example!

Even when they are dressed up they stand out!

Girls are the same, but also wear big gold chains with their name on it.

Can usually be found on a friday night in groups of 5 drinking Buckfast on a street corner.

Well here in Glasgow they are neds. Just wondering what they are called elsewhere?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:07

Idiots.

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:09

Yeah I know they are idiots and there to be laughed at, I was wondering if the term ned is just a scotland thing?
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:13

Well, in Essex, they're Block 'eads!!! according to Ian.

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:19

It's certainly not something I've heard in the US. Large parts of that may have to do with a good number of the things you mentioned I don't believe exist in the US, although they probably have their equivalents.

I don't believe that there is an all-encompassing term for such people, though.

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:22

see attached!
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:38

WARNING: MASSIVELY POLITICALLY INCORRECT LANGUAGE BELOW!!!

In my high school, any white kid acting, well, er...black (taking cover now...) was subject to the term "wigger" which is shorthand for white ____er. Not a very nice expression in the least.

-Zeke
Posted by: robricc

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 15:54

"wigger"

Same here.
Posted by: peter

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 16:00

"wigger"

I can't remember where I heard it now, but a radio interview between Tim Westwood and Eminem, each unable to understand the other's pseudo-black argot, was once aptly described as "the pot calling the kettle white".

I've never heard of neds, which probably means it's neither Mancunian nor Cambridge slang. Could it be short for [censored]in' [censored]-'eds?

Peter
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 16:03

was once aptly described as "the pot calling the kettle white".

Okay, now THAT is funny!
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 16:14

Okay i have heard of the term ned but i come from down the water in millport
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 17:24

I went to find a good picture of Ned Flanders as he is the only Ned I know of, any came across this very interesting piece.

I've heard of that book it is from, and I think the author even visited my campus last year. Wish I had gone to hear him speak. I'm not terribly religious, but the subject interested me.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 17:57

"wigger"

You may, or may not have seen Ali G already.

He is currently filming a US-based series and has already upset some people!

Gareth
Posted by: greggerm

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 19:20

Swallow back swallow back!

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 20:36

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that just Tom Green doing some kind of a stupid shtick?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Neds! - 05/02/2003 21:49

I don't think it's Tom Green, but it's still stupid shtick.

Oh, and I've not heard the term ned before, either in Toronto, or here in LA.
Posted by: loren

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 00:11

Ahahah..! A buddy at work, Ryan (who's posted here once) introduced me to Ali G about 6 months ago. We've watched all of his stuff and damn is that some funny shite. I can't wait to see how he does in America. Juvenile for sure.

Down with the F. B. . . . . Aiiiiiight!

lol. love it.
Posted by: David

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 03:43

NED = Non-educated delinquent. Also known as scallies, charvas and scheemies. Also less commonly townies, chavs, nackers, smirkers, gadgies, and probably many more.
Posted by: peter

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 04:03

I don't think it's Tom Green

Ali G was educated at Christ's College, Cambridge and is the cousin of neuroscientist Professor Simon Baron-Cohen. Respect.

Peter
Posted by: Roger

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 04:21

I believe that (in Carlisle at least), charva and gadgie are not particularly derogatory terms.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 06:07

a baseball cap sitting on top of the head at 45 degrees

Hasn't that been superseded by a woolly hat pulled right down over the ears?

I'm sure that we just call them W*n*ers, here in Yorkshire!
Posted by: andym

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 06:09

Scallies or townies in Manchester.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 07:54

Over here, Neds are called "Johnny's". Their classy girlfriends are called "Marina's". Don't exactly know where those names came from, but when you use them over here, everybody knows what you're talking about.

A buddy at work, Ryan (who's posted here once) introduced me to Ali G about 6 months ago. We've watched all of his stuff and damn is that some funny shite. I can't wait to see how he does in America. Juvenile for sure

If you like Ali G, I can recommend also looking for "Borat" on your favorite file sharing program. Borat is another character by the same guy that also does Ali G. Here he plays a Russian immigrant who discovers Brittain. Look for "Borat's Guide to Britain" Hillarious!

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 10:55

Ali G was educated at Christ's College, Cambridge and is the cousin of neuroscientist Professor Simon Baron-Cohen. Respect.

Okay, respect given. But you gotta admit, Tom Green bears a striking resemblance to Ali G. in that photo.

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 12:10

Yeah, i've seen all the Borat vids too. LOL. The one where he's at the rowing club is the best by far. LOL. great stuff.

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 15:01

The one where he's at the rowing club is the best by far. LOL. great stuff

I agree. The discussion about fox hunting is hillarious!

Borat : "In Kazachstan we shoot bears"
Fox hunt protesters : "You shoot bears? That's evil !!"
Borat :"Yeah, but we do not hunt the fox!"
Fox hunt protesters : "Yes, but nevertheless you shouldn't be talking to us then, because we love animals!"
Borat :"We love animals too!"
Fox hunt protesters :"Yeah? Why do you shoot bears then?"
Borat :"Erm...for fun! "

BTW, have you ever seen the video clip in which he plays yet another character, a (gay) Austrian reporter who visits Evilfest, some sort or skinhead meeting in Britain ?
LOL!

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 15:13

aahahah...

nope... never seen that one. Sounds interesting.

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 15:47

Damn, I've tried uploading it to my webspace for your convenience, but for some reason the upload stops every time at half a meg. I've got two 50 mb webspaces with two different providers and both don't work. This may be normal, I dunno. I've never uploaded a file this size before so maybe it's a limitation built-in by my provider. (I hope not!)

Therefor I can't provide the file myself, so if you want to see it just search on your favorite P2P client for "Austrian reporter". It's a 17Mb DiVX file.

If you have any idea what could be the problem with my webspace then please tell. I'll try and fix the problem then and upload the file to it.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Neds! - 06/02/2003 17:29

In reply to:

NED = Non-educated delinquent. Also known as scallies, charvas and scheemies. Also less commonly townies, chavs, nackers, smirkers, gadgies, and probably many more.

aka Spides in Belfast/Northern Ireland.
I don't know why for certain, but at a guess, it might be related to the spider web tattoos many of them sport.

Re: Neds! - 08/02/2003 11:39

AFAIK, I'd never heard the term ``ned'' before this thread. However, check out this odd news report about driving some annoying Goths away from the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art, which references some of the Goths' clashes with rival gangs of neds. And I wasn't even looking for neds; it was referenced off of Fark.
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: Neds! - 08/02/2003 18:00

I've heard Townie stateside pretty much used interchangeably with Hippy. For example, a pothead with long dirty hair and psychadelic clothing might be called a townie. It is generally used as a term of derision.

I've only heard the term a few times, so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I've heard the rest of those (with the exception of wigger and goth).

-Biscuits

Re: Neds! - 09/02/2003 08:23

A townie is usually descibed as a Stripey Lacoste top, tracksuit bottoms, rockport boots and a shaved head hidden by a baseball cap....
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: Neds! - 09/02/2003 22:05

I don't know what any of those clothing items are.....

Re: Neds! - 10/02/2003 02:31

you've never lived!
Posted by: frog51

Re: Neds! - 10/02/2003 03:25

In Glasgow, they're definitely Neds, but in Edinburgh they are still usually Casuals, although the Casual movement petered out maybe 6 years ago.

Anyone who hasn't seen Ali-G should check out old 11 O'clock Show episodes. Also of interest would be Daisy Donovan's interviews...very funny, and they have Daisy in them! Two very good reasons to watch!!

Re: Neds! - 21/02/2003 10:19

Finally found an example!

http://www.clonetech.co.uk/vids/neds.wmv (under 5 mb)