Converting Empeg to mp4

Posted by: kjohanss

Converting Empeg to mp4 - 14/02/2003 11:11

I have a brand new Sony Ericsson P800 and I want to convert some small mpeg movies into the mp4 format.

Is there a software solution to this?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 14/02/2003 11:16

Quicktime Pro can do it.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 14/02/2003 11:44

Wow when I first read the title "Empeg to mp4" I was confused.

Empeg != MPEG folks.
Posted by: eliceo

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 14/02/2003 12:16

is the p800 pretty sweet? damn near impossible to find it in the US (lucky to get t68i here), what country are you in and how much were you able to buy it for.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 14/02/2003 15:01

Perhaps you could download the software for the Archos Multimedia Jukebox. I'm not sure what it uses, but I remember reading that all the video files you loaded onto the player had to/should be MP4 files.

And yeah, I'd also say empeg != Empeg != MPEG

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 15/02/2003 06:54

The P800 is very sweet! I absolutely adore it

I'm in Norway, and it costs about $750 - with one year subscription at NetCom (Norwegian telecom company). Without subscription add $282.

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 28/02/2003 00:50

Sorry to bring yet another thread back, but did you find a way to convert toe MPEG4 yet?
Posted by: altman

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 28/02/2003 08:21

Packetvideo have their own software, 60-day trial, available here:

http://www.packetvideo.com/tools/authordownload.asp

Hugo

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 13/03/2003 09:38

Oh, sorry - I forgot to tell you how it went.

Quick Time did the job. I had to fool around with the settings a bit, but at last I got it right.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

You will need the Pro version. The player only plays (obviously)...

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 13/03/2003 12:20

Actually, I have Premiere loaded and it will encode video to MPEG4 as well. I have to adjust the settings to get good file sizes, but that's okay.

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 24/03/2003 01:23

Sorry to bring this up again, but I found a VERY good program for this purpose. In fact, it was made for this purpose.

www.packetvideo.com

Unfortunately, it's shareware. However, it's a full-featured 60 day trial!

The one odd thing though is that I can't seem to find any actual ordering info on thier site or in the software, so I don't know what will happen when the trial ends.

I'm looking at this stuff because I'm quite interested in the P800 phone, and it would be cool to have a couple videos on it in case I get bored. I got a 20 minute South Park episode down to about 9MB. It's at 192x144 and only about 5fps, but when you're looking at a cell phone screen, it's not bad. Plus the result is quite good for the amount of data that is lost. I was quite impressed.

Check it out.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 24/03/2003 10:25

man 9 megs, for a 20min vid, thats pretty good. 5fps isnt bad at all for cartoons, but i tihnk if you had anything else it would get annoying. But cartoons rock anyways

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 24/03/2003 11:35

That's exactly what I thought. In fact, I think South Park may be the perfect show for small video sizes. The resulting file had poorer image quality (to be expected), but the motion was quite close to the original. I think that due to the style of animation in the show, 5fps is all you need. If I was trying to do Dragonball Z, however, I don't think the results would be as good.

But I agree, live action would be pretty poor.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 24/03/2003 18:44

Say... is that the one that Hugo linked to up above?

Re: Converting Empeg to mp4 - 24/03/2003 21:01

Um.........

crap.

Well, now I was able to give my impression of it.

damn.