snow sucks

Posted by: qbasic309

snow sucks - 15/02/2003 08:35

Anyone else getting hit hard? I am really getting sick of winter already and so is my empeg.
Posted by: jasonc

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 08:43

I'm pissed off. I live in northern illiinois and for some reason the snowstorms keep missing my town.
Snow rocks.
You dont enjoy runnin down to the nearest parkin lot and doin donuts listenin to ur empeg?

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 08:57

i'm in central illinois and its falling pretty hard. I'm not much of a winter person. It would be cool if I had ATV's and could go crazy but I don't.

All of the sudden... I wonder which state has the most empeg owners.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 09:28

california
Posted by: mlord

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 09:30

Surely you jest..
Posted by: butter

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 10:49

It rained here in the plains states for a few hours and just got cold enough to envelop my car with about 1/4" of ice. And then it snowed about 5" with wind gust up to 40mph. All in all a good winter storm.

Not one person here complained. If we don't have anymore snow dumps like this, we are going to be in HUGE drought trouble again this summer.
Posted by: Daria

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 11:46

I had 8 inches in my yard before it melted last time. There's probably another 4 or 5 inches there, none of it from the last 3 days. Yeah, I'm tired of it.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 11:48

Snow is awesome! My parents said that in northern VA, they're supposed to get 10 to 18 inches tomorrow (I wish I could get a job with that kind of accuracy). I live 2 hours south of them, and we're getting nothing but rain Then again, northern VA is pretty close to the mountains.
Posted by: phi144

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 17:59

I'm in New Hampshire. There is about 3 feet in my back yard right now and -18 without the wind chill. With? Doesn't matter, it's cold!
Posted by: robricc

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 21:29

I flew to Florida today to pick up a car I bought on eBay. When I left NY, it was about 20º. When I got into Ft. Lauderdale, it was 80º!

Unfortunately, I will be driving back home through all the crap tomorrow. Oh well, just thought I'd rub it in that I'm down here with a short sleeve t-shirt on.
Posted by: ricin

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 22:16

Rob, you're crazy. Pretty good deal though, what'd it cost for the plain ticket/hotel?

How long is it going to take you to drive that back?

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 22:19

actually my brother might do the same thing but he isn't sure yet because the car is in miami and that is a LONG drive back to illinois. Gas, food, hotel, all adds up and he isn;t sure it would be that hot of a deal after all that.

Posted by: ricin

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 22:24

Yeah, I'd do it too, but it'd have to be a damn good deal, and a car I really want.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: snow sucks - 15/02/2003 23:25

haha rob is the ultimate travel trooper! its great. what kind of car did you buy?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: snow sucks - 16/02/2003 04:19

Are you going to be installing the empeg in the trooper while still in FL so you can listen to it on the ride back???
Posted by: tonyc

Re: snow sucks - 16/02/2003 10:27

They're talking about as much as 22 inches (!!!) of snow where I'm at in the Philly area. Weather forecasters are idiots, though. Last night they said it'd be getting here at 7pm tonight, and it's already here throughout the region. I understand weather prediction is not an exact science, but how can you be off by more than eight hours? I'm glad I cancelled my travel plans this weekend, or I'd definitely be stuck somewhere.
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: snow sucks - 16/02/2003 13:22

20 to 30 inches expected here around Baltimore. There is already about 12-15 inches of new snow on the ground, and it has been snowing for 12 hours. It isn't expected to stop until sometime tomorrow, with snow showers tapering off Tuesday. There was already 3-6 inches on the ground from yesterday.

This thing is a monster... this is so awesome!! I left my empeg at work though... but at least I have the backup here.

I might post some pictures here later... this storm is really incredible. Everything is closed.
Posted by: Whitey

Re: snow sucks - 16/02/2003 15:30

I routinely deliver cars that I sell on ebay. I think it’s a great way to spend a weekend at someone else’s expense. I like doing it so much I have thought about offering free shipping on some destinations. I know there is another thread on traffic tickets, but this is a good way to get a bunch of them.

I need to find a way to rig my empeg to be carried from one car to another more effeciently.

Re: snow sucks - 16/02/2003 15:56

The kids should be in paradise but I guess it's too cold. There's now probably at least 9 inches on my front yard, not counting the piles from shoveling.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 02:25

haha rob is the ultimate travel trooper! its great.

"I'd like to test that theory..."

When I bought my ShoWagon, my trip home was over 6,000 miles. Some days I put down over 1200 miles. Other days I went 0 miles. (Laid up for three days in Oregon for repairs...)

tanstaafl.

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 07:16

Last night they raised the snow estimates from 20-25 inches to 30-36 inches. That's 3 feet. That is a simply ridiculous amount of snow for one storm. Of course I haven't checked today, it might be up to 162 feet, or they might have even backed off those outrageous numbers. Good thing I'm in an apartment and I don't have to shovel my own driveway or anything.
Posted by: drakino

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:07

This is Pikes Peak about 3 weeks ago. After the recent storm, its finally back to having quite a bit more snow, along with the mountains near it. But most of the time this winter, there has been more rock visible then snow, a definite bad sign for the area that the drought will be worse this summer for Colorado.

There has been maybe 4 or 5 weekend where snow and road conditions would have prevented me from riding my motorcycle. And for me, that includes the weekends where there was still too much dirt on the road. Normally Colorado Springs roads have dirt on them for at least 3 months solid from the snow.

If the rest of the country is tired of snow, Colorado would like it back .
Posted by: suomi35

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:31

Yes, yes we would!
Posted by: trs24

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:39

Same goes for us down in New Mexico!!! We haven't had a good snow season since '98! Why don't you box up some of that snow your sick of and ship it on down here.

- trs

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:43

I wish we coulda gotten some of that 4 foot 'blizzard' that the east coast got last night!

Goodness knows I would not be here at work today
Posted by: Whitey

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:46

I live in Lousisana, I haven't even seen snow in a couple of years. I have never seen more than 5mm on the ground.

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:51

I moved to Colorado from Texas a couple years ago for that very reason...and the fact that there seemed to be too many rednecks whenever I left the city limits of Austin

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 09:59

I remember one day back in 1982 I woke up and it had snowed over 70" overnight... We didn't have to go to school for 2 days. I think those were 2 of the best days of my life. And sometimes I despair the Southwest will never see another winter like that.

- trs
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 14:03

Snow is awesome!

Yes, sometimes it is...

and sometimes, well, it ain't...

Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 14:54

Snow is better than ice. We went camping in the mountains for the last major ice storm around here. We planned to hike out and camp on a mountaintop. Needless to say, we didn't see anybody else out on the trail and we had to turn back because it was too cold and windy up there. We ended up camping in a nearby valley just before dark where it was 10-15 degrees warmer (just above 0). Freezing rain soon started, chilling everyone to the bone, especially since it was coming down in sheets. In the 15 minutes it took us to set up camp, about 1/4 inch of ice collected on the ground, the tents, the campfire, and us. We had several Fire Logs (chemical firestarters), but incredibly, ice was forming on the same logs that were on fire. After a while, we finally gave up and went inside the tents. Inside, even the sleeping bags rated to 0 degrees were unable to keep us warm and the tents (2 for sleeping and 1 for equipment) started sagging dangerously. We had to knock off the ice several times during the night and discovered the next morning that our supply tent had collapsed under the weight. There was also a tree branch about 15 feet long and 6 inches in diameter directly between the two tents we were sleeping in. Also, approximately 1/3 of the trees in the area had collapsed overnight, making it impossible to use trails already covered in a solid two inches of ice.

A few hours later, enough of the ice had thawed that we were able to attempt the hike back to the main road. It was slow going, but eventually we made it. Unfortunately, I was unable to get my 2wd Ford Explorer back up the road we came in on; the ice was partially melted and turning the dirt road into a giant mudslide. After about an hour of only making 100 yards, we were about to give up and wait it out.

About that time, a group of redneck joyriders in 4wd vehicles came down the road the other way in an Xterra and an Explorer. Apparently they were having a blast teaching their 12-14 year-old kids to drive 20-30 mph in ice and mud on steep twisty dirt mountain roads with 50-foot cliffs just a few feet to the sides.

The road was apparently a loop so we were able to follow them on the mudslide down the mountain. Still, this part was hit harder by the ice storm and everyone would have been stranded if we had not brought an axe with us as numerous trees multiple feet in diameter were lying across the road. The four-hour drive took us 3 hours.

When we returned to the main roads, we discovered that the highway had been closed for fear that an overpass would collapse. After a 3-hour detour, we finally made it back to Athens, GA and passed out; school was not cancelled.

The county we had been in was declared a Natural Disaster Zone and received millions in state and federal assistence. Due to complaints, the school preemptively cancelled classes the next time ice was forecast; the ice never materialized. In response, the administratioin vowed never to cancel classes again under any circumstances.

-Biscuits

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 16:33

Take ours.

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 16:51

Thanks for posting the pics guys, always enjoy snow pics.

Re: snow sucks - 17/02/2003 17:01

I'd be happy to post the snow too.
Posted by: lopan

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 08:44

In reply to:

My parents said that in northern VA, they're supposed to get 10 to 18 inches tomorrow

Manassas, where I live (northern VA) had 25.1 inches of snow. The really sad part is.... I got to work faster today then I ever have before, apparently all the really bad Virginia drivers decided to stay home today
Posted by: lopan

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 09:13

A picture of what we got...

me digging my car out...
Posted by: butter

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 09:57

Manassas, where I live (northern VA) had 25.1 inches of snow.

Found this article today explaining how they measure the actual snowfall. Years of wondering were put to rest today, maybe now I can sleep at night.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 11:23

We got, I'd say, two to four inches of sleet. It was bad on the unscraped roads until at least 10 this morning when I drove to work. I nearly fell down five or six times scraping the ice off of my car. In the four hours since then, it has basically all melted off of the pavement. Amazing. You can see vapor floating just above the roads, like some short fog.

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 11:23

re: lopan's picture

mmmmmmmm - that looks like the PERFECT ammount of snow. I WISH we could get that down here so all these damn ski areas could open up!

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 11:28

Damn straight
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 11:37

heh!
I spend 5 long years in NJ before moving to Texas. It snowed here last week but was 75 degrees the following day, suits me fine

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 11:41

I'm movin to TX...
Posted by: JeffS

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 12:02

I'm movin to TX...

Just be careful on the occasional snow day if you do. People here can't drive in snow to save their lives.
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 12:16

What do you mean snow, they all forget how to drive when it rains as well. Anything involving something other than a sunny sky and its accidents galore.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 12:20

People in South Carolina freak out at the mention of snow.... Its incredible. We've had two "snow days" this school year. One day was about a month ago and all the snow was melted off the road by 10:30. The second day was Monday when alll it did was rain and get very cold. Ice was on cars but not the ground.
Thanks to general incompetence, my wife (an elementary school music teacher) has to go to school on a Saturday to make of for the tons of snow we've recieved!
Here if the forecast predicts snow all the grocery stores sell out of bread and milk and at the first flake of snow they all close down but Wal-Mart. I don't know about you but my favorite thing to do when its snowing is to set in the front yard eating bread and milk and pretending to be in the Gulag.

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 12:25

I never have understood the bread and milk thing. We have that in NC, too. It just seems stupid to me to buy the two items that arguably spoil the quickest when you're worried baout not being able to get out of the house. Why not buy bottled water, canned foods and a church key?
Posted by: JeffS

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 12:31

I actually found this rain thing to be a huge problem in San Antonio when I moved here from Houston. It hardly ever rains here, and when it does it makes up for lost time. People have no idea how to deal with this. Half of them drive dangerously fast and the other half go so dangerously slow (i.e. you almost run over them).
Posted by: mandiola

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 13:14

Hrm. No global env. class for me today because somehow my professor got stuck in a snow storm.. Shouldn't have left sunny miami... Guess the snow worked out for me... too bad for just about everyone else on the east cost ;/

-Greg
Posted by: drakino

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 16:02

has to go to school on a Saturday to make of for the tons of snow we've recieved!

They have always built snow days into the schedules here, so if the time dosen't get used up, typicially the spring time gets littered with tons of half days. It tended to happen quite a bit when I was in school since it seemed they never shut down for snow. I still remember the junior high school day where me and my friends were the only ones on the school bus. Actually toughing it out and staying at the stop resulted in a nice and easy day at school with practicially noone, instead if being stuck at home forced to shovel snow
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 18:16

here is a pic of my car (WRX) and my girlfriend digging me out. Ain't she sweet?

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 20:58

While you kindly take pictures from the second story window. Keeping the bed warm for her?
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: snow sucks - 18/02/2003 22:52

Keeping the bed warm for her?

How'd you guess?

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 00:07

Rob, you're crazy.

OK, so you found me out... I bought a sh*tbox. I just bought this thing so the Viggen would be off the road in bad weather and to keep its miles down.

I am back in New York now, and the Trooper is still in one piece and in excellent mechanical condition for a car that now has 186,000 miles on it. Anyway, although the A/C in the car works, the heat doesn't. I had to drive it all the way up while freezing my ass off. I still think it's a good deal. I brought the truck to an Isuzu dealer in NC to diagnose. They say it needs the heater core replaced. I guess I will be looking around junk yards for one....

The plane ticket was expensive because of the weekend I chose to go down ($300). After I picked up the car, I drove 5 hours to my Grandfather's place near Tampa and stayed over one night. I left the next day after we made sure the car was road worthy. Unfortunately, when it's 70 degrees out, you don't think to check the heater.

I stopped in Lumberton, NC on my way up after it started freezing rain. That hotel with my AAA discount was $54. I decided to stay an extra night due to the weather up north. So, all totaled not counting gas, tolls, and food I spent about $400 to pick this thing up +$69 at the Isuzu service.

I am debating puting an empeg sled into this thing because that would involve purchasing an amp. The car did not come with a stereo, so I went to Wal Mart and bought one of $28. It has an Aux input for my iPod, so that solution is working well right now.

You can see a few pics I took of the car here.

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 00:12

actually my brother might do the same thing but he isn't sure yet because the car is in miami and that is a LONG drive back to illinois. Gas, food, hotel, all adds up and he isn;t sure it would be that hot of a deal after all that.
You are right, but Florida cars are worth it. If you look at most Troopers of that vintage in NY, a lot of them are rust buckets. My Trooper's frame is in almost factory-fresh condition and the paint (looks like the original paint) is in great shape as well.

The drive is not that bad. This was my second time doing it. To go from FL to NY is 2 days of driving (for me). I could do it in one day, but that seems nuts to me. I would say go for it. If there was another car I was interested down there, I would do it again.
Posted by: fusto

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 08:23

Troopers are great.
I had an '86 awhile back during my college years. Put 160000 miles on it with no major repairs. Most costly item was the clutch, and technically thats a wear item.
I got into a passenger side rear quarter panel accident with it once too, way out on Long Island. Drove it all the way back to Cape Cod with a broken axle. Handled it no problem.
My friends and I drove the snot out of it. From VT to NYC down to Georgia a couple of times, out west. Also used to take it out on the beach here on the Cape.
Youre right about the paint. On my trooper, even though it was a new england car, the paint always looked perfect. Best paint job on any automobile I've ever owned.

Anyway, thats enough of that...

Z~
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 13:37

I was up in College Park, MD (DC area) and we got close to 2 feet of snow this weekend. I was forced to miss two days of work to be snowed in with my girlfriend while waiting for BWI to reopen. bummer!

mental note to self: next time you get snowed in with girlfriend, make sure you aren't at her parent's house.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 14:44

not a bit.. I'm kinda anoyed at the lack of snow this year, I want to take my snowboard out, and the snow in MN just sucks.. then again, I'm a crazy person who likes winter

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 15:25

Wow. Philly gets an 18" snow storm and a guy in Minneapolis is kvetching about a lack of snow.

That's it, I'm moving to Phoenix.
Posted by: rjlov

Confess! - 19/02/2003 15:38

I am back in New York now, and the Trooper is still in one piece and in excellent mechanical condition for a car that now has 186,000 miles on it.

OK, so who, on reading the above, thought to themselves "Hm, 1 light second"?

Posted by: lectric

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 16:10

Me.

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 19:48

I don't get it.
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 19:55

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. Hence, that distance is known as one light second. Personally, I groaned when somebody else pointed that out....

-Biscuits

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 19:58

Light travels at, more or less, 186,000 miles per second. Thus, 186,000 miles is one light-second.

It's just one of those numbers.

Like if you'd said ``I just got my car from the lot and it'd only been driven 3.14 miles'' or ``My spaceship's overdue for an overhaul. It's been 6.022 x 10^23 miles'' or ``They say that the average family has 2.71828 children''.

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 19:58

OK. I think this came up before and I was ignorant of it then as well.
Posted by: Tim

Re: snow sucks - 19/02/2003 20:11

That's it, I'm moving to Phoenix.

Its been about 65F around here lately. Gorgeous today, makes me really not want to go back to the office after wandering to the cafeteria for a bite to eat.

I forgot how cold the temp could get. I went to Denver a couple weeks ago to go snowmobiling. I think I almost had a stroke when the pilot announced it was 14F before we landed.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Confess! - 19/02/2003 20:37

Like if you'd said ``I just got my car from the lot and it'd only been driven 3.14 miles'' or ``My spaceship's overdue for an overhaul. It's been 6.022 x 10^23 miles'' or ``They say that the average family has 2.71828 children''.

I think I read that book... that's the scene where Dr. Avogadro is eating pie in his natural log cabin, or something like that...

tanstaafl.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Confess! - 15/05/2004 13:15

I think I read that book... that's the scene where Dr. Avogadro is eating pie in his natural log cabin, or something like that...
How did you manage to cram them all in one sentence!

I had to bump this; I missed it somehow when it was posted (and found it in searching for '828' as in 'Sony DSC-F828')...
Posted by: altman

Re: snow sucks - 17/05/2004 07:03

Am I the only one who was looking at those numbers trying to work out how they were numerically significant?

Hugo
Posted by: frog51

Re: snow sucks - 17/05/2004 07:59

You obviously didn't waste enough time with mathematics and physics books as a kid, huh?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: snow sucks - 17/05/2004 22:37

Maybe. I saw numbers, and just kind of glossed over.
Posted by: tms13

Re: snow sucks - 18/05/2004 08:00

Hugo - I think the important thing to understand is that they are temperatures, not hexadecimal numbers.

It must be confusing to have a system where 35° is too cold, rather than too hot!

Re: snow sucks - 18/05/2004 08:43

I agree. Except the other way around.