"Chaos in the Middle East"

Posted by: canuckInOR

"Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 12:10

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0304.marshall.html

Posted by: DonnyR

Poll: Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 12:52

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0304.marshall.html

Rate This Article
1. Strongly Disagree: Bah! Conspiracy Theory!
2. Strongly Disagree: Richard Perle is much nicer than Michael Jackson!
3. Strongly Disagree: Obviously Saddam under a bad pen name!
4. Strongly Disagree: We have a HUGE coalition!
5. Strongly Disagree: Syria NEEDS a good invasion!

Posted by: bonzi

Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 13:09

Yeah, and the article doesn't even touch on dangers of redicalizing Muslims in Nothern Africa, Pakistan, India (not all are in Pakistan), Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, China, Nigeria...
Posted by: tonyc

Poll: Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 13:13

Hmm.. Methinks you might have goofed up the poll options a little bit...

Iraqi Election Simlulator v1.0 - 28/03/2003 13:14

Please indicate your vote for the President of Iraq
Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein

Posted by: ninti

Poll: Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 15:35

I choose 6: strongly agree. While it is light on facts, it seems a plausable theory given what is known about Bush's administration. It has already been established here that one of their goals is to marginalize the U.N. and give us an excuse to act unilaterally, and the comments about the budget are right on. I will be sending this article to a bunch of people, thanks.

Poll: Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 21:11

Agreed. It's just too plausible for me to think it's a conspiracy theory -- we're not talking junk science moon landing is a hoax, here. Even if you think Bush is dumber than a sack full of hammer handles, I have no doubt that he and his cabal sat down to look at the repercussions of this whole war. There's no way this war can be a simple in-out type of mission, so I think it's naive to think that they don't have some plan that's far more reaching in scope than simply deposing Saddam. Now add in the background of Bush's advisors, who have been arguing for this very thing for years -- Bush might not have thought of the future, but the guys behind him sure have. This isn't stuff that's being bandied about by your average X-Files watchin', supermarket tabloid reader in his blog. It's stuff written by journalists who have been around politics for quite some time.
Posted by: genixia

Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 28/03/2003 21:43

Don't those hawks study history? Every historical empire has fallen hard, usually involving lots of blood and expense.

Posted by: Roger

Re: Iraqi Election Simlulator v1.0 - 29/03/2003 02:33

Hey, there's a bug in this simulator. I voted for Saddam number 5. Saddam number 1 received the vote.

Presumably Saddam number 5 is a lookalike?

Re: "Chaos in the Middle East" - 29/03/2003 02:49

Don't those hawks study history?

It doesn't seem that way. I started noticing the increasing number of parallels between the Roman Empire shortly before its fall and the current state of affairs in the US after reading some historical fiction about a year ago. Extreme capitalism, corruption, and overextending itself in expansionist wars while alienating any possible allies.

Re: Iraqi Election Simlulator v1.0 - 29/03/2003 04:38

Hey, there's a bug in this simulator. I voted for Saddam number 5. Saddam number 1 received the vote.

Presumably Saddam number 5 is a lookalike?
Lies, infidel! There is only one Saddam! And he is beloved by all Iraq's people! Look at the results!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Iraqi Election Simlulator v1.0 - 29/03/2003 08:09

The vote is rigged! There's no way to vote for Saddams 6 through 11.