LEDs on 12v?

Posted by: tfabris

LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 12:24

I want to have an on/off indicator LED on my stealth-mounted radar detector. I just want to indicate when the 12v power supply is there or when it is not there for the radar detector (I control it with a switch).

I have a bunch of old radio shack LEDs in various colors sitting here. I'd like to use one of them.

I know it's been asked on the BBS before, now it's my turn... I don't think I can plug these LEDs directly into the 12v line, can I? What do I have to do to make them work and not burn out too quickly? Just resistors? If so, what value and how would they be wired?
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 12:37

Please Refer To This FAQ for your answers.

http://www.pioneernet.net/optoeng/LED_FAQ.html

I've always wanted to do that, to you.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 12:38

Heh, touche'.

Actually I found my answer with a search here on the BBS: A 1k ohm resistor in series with the LED is all I needed.

Thanks!
Posted by: elperepat

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 12:47

Hi!

You only need a resistor inline with the LED. Here's how to find the value:

Normal Leds drop something like 1.2 V and require 20 mA for full intensity.

You substract 12V-1.2 = 10.8 V that you have to drop at the resistor. R=V/I, so 10.8 V / 20 mA = 540 ohm somthing near that is 510 ohm, or better 560, which will let less current flow through the led, so longer longevity... 10.8V / 560 = 19 mA

As for power of the resistor P = V * I, 10.8 * 19 mA .2 W, a 1/4 W will be fine

So, the result is:

a 560ohm 1/4 W

Included is a picture of such a resistor (for color code: Green Blue Brown and size)

But any value from 500ohm-1kohm would be fine too... same size

And don't forget that leds have polarity, the flat side of the led (viewed from top) goes to the negative:

Hope this helps

Patrick
Posted by: muzza

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 14:34

Hey, cool! An(other?) elctronics technician has joined up. And another Patrick no less.
How long have you been lurking/posting for? Great to see you here.
Posted by: elperepat

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 15:12

Hi!

It's been a while, almost two years, but just got my first empeg last year...

I'm not posting often (still a stranger), but I'm reading the BBS everyday.

I just finished school 3 yeras ago and I currently work with PLCs and motors, etc, in a factory here...

Posted by: 753

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 26/04/2003 16:20

An(other?) elctronics technician has joined up.

Patrick is the dude who released the original lyrics scroller before Tony decided to take up on the project. So he's not that new I guess, and certainly already contributed a great deal.
I too, don't have many posts, but rarely miss a post. Only recently my posting habits changed a bit. I wonder how many silent readers are out there.
Posted by: pedrohoon

Re: LEDs on 12v? - 27/04/2003 01:35

Judging by the number of anonymous users under 'Who's Online', quite a few!