Technologically advanced Urinals!

Posted by: lopan

Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:32

Unbelievable....
nice to see technology moving or should I say flowing in the right direction!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:36

grumble grumble Quicktime grumble grumble
Posted by: fusto

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:46

Thats brilliant!

Almost equals the empeg in terms of ingenuity.
Practicality however...
Posted by: djc

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:53

the windows media version is here.

--dan.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:53

There's something unsettling about seeing the girls getting to try out the system with the little makeshift demonstrator device. Not sure why.

I wouldn't want to be the repair guy when the sensor array malfunctions.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:55

the windows media version is here.
grumble grumble windows media grumble grumble.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 10:57

hey, the best compromises tend to be the ones where both sides are equally unhappy.

--dan.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:01

Hey, I can't watch either one! Wheeee!

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:03

I've just noticed that all three of the most popular online video formats are proprietary, and in addition, all suck in their own way, thus making them all equally undesirable.

If I were king of the world, I'd make everyone post all media in MPEG format, then everyone could choose whatever player they wanted.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:05

amen.

--dan.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:08

I've noticed that for the last many years.

In all reality, Quicktime was fairly open until it effectively became Sorenson-only. And Real sorta-kinda tries to make a Unix player available for a good number of platforms (though I think the most recent Solaris one is RP8 and it's even harder to find than the link to RealPlayer Basic). Real video truly sucks, though.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:10

I've noticed that for the last many years.
I was using poor grammar to express the idea. What I meant to say was that "I just wanted to point out that I've noticed..."

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:13

Now I've done it. I wasn't saying anything about your grammar. I was agreeing and adding more info.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:16

Well, your reputation proceeds you, Bitt.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:19

Well, I the Windows Media version doesn't work for me, either! If they're going to use a proprietary format, the least they could do is make it work, or for the love of God, let us download the damn clip! I don't care what format it's in, all embedded video sucks.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:23

Now, that's not fair. Independently I came up with this idea while I was in the pub a few weeks ago! Just because these guys have the temerity to actually go and implement something that seems like a good idea when you're drunk doesn't mean that they should get any kudos.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:23

I don't really have a problem with the formats being proprietary. It's the fact that the players for Real and Quicktime are so horrible it prevents me from ever downloading any of them. I know WMP came with my OS, but how much sense does it make to provide sneaky, obnoxious programs for your video format? I think people forget that it isn't MS's fault if other programs just suck.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:33

Well, I the Windows Media version doesn't work for me, either! If they're going to use a proprietary format, the least they could do is make it work, or for the love of God, let us download the damn clip! I don't care what format it's in, all embedded video sucks.
Too true. If you could just download the thing and watch it when it's done, you wouldn't have all that herky-jerky video. Which is not to say that streaming doesn't have its place (real-time stuff, for instance), but it's not used as a convienience; it's used to prevent you from downloading it. Why they want to prevent that, I don't know, really.
Posted by: rob

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:45

I don't believe it! We invented that in the pub a few weeks ago!!

(although ours was going to have a plasma screen built into the urinal).

Goes to show, there's nothing that hasn't already been thought of.

Rob
Posted by: peter

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:50

Goes to show, there's nothing that hasn't already been thought of.
Goes to show, we shouldn't discuss technological breakthroughs in pubs in Cambridge...

Peter

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 11:56

Or at least pass around an NDA to the other patrons.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 12:42

It's the fact that the players for Real and Quicktime are so horrible it prevents me from ever downloading any of them.
Agreed completely. The formats are what make you install the players, and the players are what really suck.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 12:44

While I agree that RealOne sucks (even more than the previous Real players), its format sucks just as much, if not more.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 12:48

The quicktime version plays fine in mplayer under Linux.

Cheers

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 12:52

Is that the mplayer that uses Windows DLL codecs and has to be run on an x86 processor?

Or is the video not Sorenson encoded?

(To be honest, I haven't bothered building an application under Solaris that will play QTs, since it's largely pointless since 99% of all new QTs are Sorenson and would be unplayable for it.)
Posted by: mlord

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 12:56

YEah, that's the one.

Xine also works fine.

Cheers
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 14:10

Heaven help us all, they wrote a paper about it. The "You're In Control" (Urine Control) project appears to have been a final project in a course titled "How To Make (Almost) Anything".
Posted by: ricin

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 02/05/2003 18:28

mencoder "You're In Control-LG.mov" -o "You're In Control-LG.mpg" -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1800 -oac mp3lame -> You're In Control.mpg

See if that works
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 03/05/2003 10:52

It seems that Microsoft is now getting into the act as well.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 03/05/2003 11:00

ugh. i don't know about you, but i wouldn't exactly be the first in line to touch that keyboard, thanks.

--dan.

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 03/05/2003 11:18

The iLoo? What, are they trying to develop negative connotations with Apple products?
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 05/05/2003 16:53

I wonder how long until the monitor malfunctions? (That is, from people peeing all the way up to it to kill the ducks on the screen)
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Technologically advanced Urinals! - 14/05/2003 03:41

Greetings!

For those who didn't see today's User Friendly yet... The storyline has been going for a few weeks, but this was good...