Worst song of all time?

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:21

My vote has to go to William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:22

Sweet Home Alabama
Posted by: robricc

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:26

The Titanic song by Celine Dion.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:28

Now, is that because you dislike the song, or the fact that at any given time within 200 feet of your position, it is playing somewhere?

I've got a friend at school in Atlanta. That song drives him nuts. Is it equally bad in NC?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:29

The Beat Goes On. The Britney Spears version is even worse. That song drives me nuts.

Maybe If I was around during the proper time period and in the properly drug-induced state...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:30

Both (although I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's quite that ubiquitous). Actually, if you get right down to it, I think the world would be a better place if the entire Lynyrd Skynyrd oeuvre could be excised from existance. I suppose that Smell That Smell may be even worse as a song, but SHA offends me in ways beyond the song itself.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:31

I can't possibly pick just one. A few that come to mind at the moment:

The Electric Slide
That "Felis Navidad" (sp?) song at Christmas
Who Let the Dogs Out

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:35

This list also must include the Macarena

I think it's Feliz

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:37

That "Felis Navidad" (sp?) song at Christmas
If you're going to get into seasonal stuff, that Wings/McCartney Wonderful Christmas Time is pretty awful, too.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:38

I take into account how serious the artist is about the song. If they know its crap and do it with tongue in cheek, then its not so bad. William Shatner was serious - see his facial expressions when he sang it??
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:38

"Nothing Compares 2 U"- Sinéad O'Connor
Posted by: andy

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:43

The Titanic song by Celine Dion

Her version of "I drove all night" is much worse than the Titanic wailing. Whenever I hear it accidentally on the radio I have to drive straight home and purge myself by playing the Cyndi Lauper version...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:46

Agreed - I loathe Celine. Didn't Roy Orbison do that one originally? Don't recall a Cyndi Lauper version.
Posted by: blitz

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 08:55

I was going to nominate Linda McCartney singing "Cook of the House" but stumbled across this. You could go on forever.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 09:04

Agreed - I loathe Celine. Didn't Roy Orbison do that one originally? Don't recall a Cyndi Lauper version

He did, the Cyndi Lauper version is excellent.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 09:11

Remember Lolly? http://www.lolly.uk.com/

Dreadful dreadful stuff - she destroyed many a song.
Posted by: EDub

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 09:27

Night Rocker by David Hasselhoff..my friend made me listen to it..egads!!

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 09:37

The Germans love him though!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:05

My vote has to go to William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.
You can't possibly count that. You have to either vote on a bad SONG or vote on a bad PERFORMANCE. You can't say a song is bad just because someone covered it poorly. The original song is wonderful, and is a key part of one of the best and most-respected albums of all time. Yes, Bill butchered it, I agree.

Now, as long as we're talking about songs, I'd say my vote goes to Seasons in the Sun. I want to drill the evil spirits out of my cranium each time I think of it.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:09

Ok... grumble grumble.
Posted by: Chimaera

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:12

You can't say a song is bad just because someone covered it poorly

That's a good point, and I was just about to pick some examples off my Samantha Fox CD, but realised it was probably the performance of them that sucked more than the actual songs (although it was close).

So in that case my vote goes to Doop by Doop

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:33

I was just about to pick some examples off my Samantha Fox CD, but realised it was probably the performance of them that sucked more than the actual songs (although it was close).
Oh, if they're original Samantha Fox tunes (i.e., she's not doing a cover tune of an old classic like Shatner was), then they're fair game.

I just don't like to see people saying "song x sucks" just because they never heard the original version, only saw David Hasselhoff butchering it.

"Oooga chaka, Oooga chaka..."

/me goes to put a bigger bit on his power drill...
Posted by: peter

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:47

You have to either vote on a bad SONG or vote on a bad PERFORMANCE. [...] Now, as long as we're talking about songs, I'd say my vote goes to Seasons in the Sun.
I guess you haven't heard Westlife's version, then, or you'd nominate it for the double. On the scale of egregious first-degree murderings of songs it's up there with The Presidents Of The USA's Video Killed The Radio Star and Wyclef's headmanglingly pointmissing Wish You Were Here.

As for really bad original songs, I feel your pain for Who Let The Dogs Out but would also suggest Daniel Bedingfield's saccharine stalkers' anthem If You're Not The One, the entire contents of the Now Christmas Album (not the new one, the old one that's played in a loop in every department store in Britain from September 1st to December 24th), and Snap's Rhythm Is A Dancer for, if nothing else, the sheer insanity of the couplet "You know I'm serious as cancer/When I say that rhythm is a dancer".

Peter
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:52

Any song by S-Club 7. They even beat out A-Teens.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:55

Over-ruled. As long as Rachael is in S Club, they rule.
Posted by: Chimaera

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 10:55

she's not doing a cover tune of an old classic

All the ones I can think of off that album are covers, but I guess there may have been some 'original' material on there.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:06

Although I think you might be swayed by the visual aspect of the young hotties, I will let your veto stand and retort with Madonna's cover of American Pie. It is just plain wrong.

As for pure worst song (original recording), I have to think a while on that one.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:07

On the scale of egregious first-degree murderings of songs it's up there with The Presidents Of The USA's Video Killed The Radio Star and Wyclef's headmanglingly pointmissing Wish You Were Here.
I feel lucky to have never encountered either of these during my life. I hope I can go through the rest of my life without ever hearing them.

Side discussion: Covers that are BETTER than the originals?

A few months ago, I saw a video of Marylin Manson doing a cover of an old 80's tune (don't remember which tune) and thinking it really rocked. But perhaps it only "worked" because I had the context of the original song to go from?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:09

One cover that was better (well, different and good and stronger in many ways) was Ugly Kid Joe doing Harry Chapin's "Cats In The Cradle".

Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:09

Covers that are BETTER than the originals
Pretty much any Stones cover.

I like Echo & the Bunnymen's Paint It Black, for one (a recording I, sadly, no longer have, ).

(I will have to admit, though, that I liked PUSA's Video Killed the Radio Star.)

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:14

Not sure if it's better or not, but Cake's cover of "I Will Survive" is great.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:17

Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:17

Covers that are BETTER than the originals?
David Wicox - "Missing You" (Originally by Bad English). One of my favorite tunes, though I don't like the BE version. Actually I’m not sure the song is really that great, but David Wilcox really makes it work.

Also for those of you who listen to Christian music, Caedmon’s Call’s “Hope to Carry On” totally blow the Rich Mullins version away.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:19

1000 Mona Lisas cover of Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" is great.

It was a hidden track, so it might be hard to find on P2P, but it's worth it.

EDIT: I had to edit this post twice. I got confused between 10,000 Maniacs and 1,000 Mona Lisas.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:21

How about some of those C&W horrors:
Never heard:
Ferlin Husky's "The Drunken Driver Song" - about the guy who runs over his own kids?

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:22

I'll probably catch alot of flack for this, but I like GNR's version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door better than Bob Dylan's.
Posted by: russmeister

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:22

Cake's cover of "I Will Survive" is great.

I second that.

But their "Race Car Ya Yas" song is awful.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:25

Me too. But, I don't really like either version of the song too much. Live and Let Die is the GNR cover I like.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:27

I'll probably catch alot of flack for this, but I like GNR's version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door better than Bob Dylan's.
I'll avoid it (though I'm tempted), but, in a similar vein, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 11:36

better (cover version) than Bob Dylan's (original)

IMO, any cover version of a Bob Dylan song is going to be better than the original. Great songwriter. Shame he couldn't sing worth a damn.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:41

Laibach's Sympathy For The Devil, Club Nouveau's Lean On Me, The Happy Mondays' Step On, and, though I'll get killed for this, Friendship Seven's There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Plus Annie Lennox's Keep Young And Beautiful, which, like the Quixote of Pierre Menard, owes its startling effect to its utter fidelity to the original.

The bloke who does the afternoon show on BBC Radio 6 apparently has a regular feature of covers better than the originals, but I don't have digital radio so have never heard it.

A few months ago, I saw a video of Marylin Manson doing a cover of an old 80's tune (don't remember which tune) and thinking it really rocked. But perhaps it only "worked" because I had the context of the original song to go from?
If you're thinking of Tainted Love, then I thought exactly the same things. The Inspiral Carpets' version was good, too.

Peter

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 11:42

I have to admit that there’s a few cover songs that I really like but haven’t heard the originals for comparison:

“Little Wing”- SRV (Hendrix)
“Higher Ground” – Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder)
“You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go”- Shawn Colvin (Dylan)

I know I probably should have heard the originals but please don’t berate me too bad, I just haven’t gotten around to listening to them yet.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 12:09

If you're thinking of Tainted Love, then I thought exactly the same things.
Yup! That was the one. I remember thinking how perfectly it suited his style.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 12:12

Lay Lady Lay. So badly sung its funny.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 12:28

Lay Lady Lay. So badly sung its funny.
Arrgh! Drill... not... working... must... find... skillsaw...

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 12:51

Doesn't like Dylan but does like S-Club 7. Pray we never meet...

-Zeke

ps: I'm retracting my previous veto override allowance for the Dylan comments.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 13:01

Okay, here's a vote for a bad song which dovetails nicely into a discussion I wanted to have a couple weeks ago:

"Tai Shan" from the Rush album "Hold Your Fire".

I stood at the top of the mountain
And China sang to me
In the peaceful haze of harvest time
A song of eternity
<shudder>

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 13:02

Rachael is better looking than Bob. Besides, I still have an image in my head... Saturday morning kids tv show, girls from S Club were dressed as Xena Warrior Princess. Nothing can erase it from my mind.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 13:02

Madonna's cover of American Pie. It is just plain wrong.

A bad version no doubt, but I love to play it in the following medley:

Weird Al - The Saga Begins
Madonna - American Pie
Bob Rivers - Madonna Killed American Pie

(all of which are the same tune)

Followed by the original...

It always cheers us up on a crap day in the office.

A couple of links for people who haven't come across those two particularly odd versions of American Pie:

http://yeahx3.ionichost.com/?Bobrivers.html
http://www.sagabegins.com/

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 13:16

Bob Rivers - Madonna Killed American Pie
I must have this lyric. Clicking on link now.

Weak Rush Songs - 05/05/2003 13:20

Okay, here's a vote for a bad song which dovetails nicely into a discussion I wanted to have a couple weeks ago

HA! I knew you couldn't let this one lie!

I like Tai Shan, in fact I think "Hold Your Fire" is a great album end to end and it’s one of my Desert Island picks.

To continue your digression of a digression, I can't think of a single Rush song I would classify as "bad", but ones I wouldn't want coming up regularly on my Empeg (in no certain order):

"Cinderella Man", "Nobody's Hero", "I Think I'm Going Bald", "Rivendell" (like the song alright, it's just too slow to mix in with any other rock), "In The End", 1/2 the songs off the first album and most of off Vapor Trails. There are probably others, but these are, in my opinion, the weakest. Actually, now that I think of it I’d have to lump “Tai Shan” in with “Rivendell” if I’ve got a mix of Rock going: It’s too slow to be interspersed with more upbeat stuff. Still, I like it when I’m playing the album through.

In a similar thread (weak songs by great bands), I can’t stand “Black Hole Sun.” I don’t know why because I really like Soundgarden, but it just drives me nuts. I also realize I’m probably the only person who feels this way.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 13:21

Yeah, well road kill is better looking than Bob, but that's not why I like the guy. I (apparently) am one of the few that likes his gravel strewn voice (to my wife's eternal chagrin).

I've nothing against your Zena fantasy, but I put some S-Club onto the empeg in my euro-pop phase a few months back and about ralphed all over the dash. Perhaps some video saturation at a strip club would help my pavlovian response, it sure did with that ex-Spice Girl (Gerri Hallo-something?) song last year.

-Zeke
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 13:23

As long as Rachael is in S Club

Correct.

My vote : 'Gonna make you feel good' - Stefan Denis (aka Neighbours' Paul Robinson). All his own work. Big in Germany as well I believe.

Re: Weak Rush Songs - 05/05/2003 13:32

I like Tai Shan, in fact I think "Hold Your Fire" is a great album end to end and it’s one of my Desert Island picks.
Heh, HYF would be one of my desert island picks if the last two songs were simply deleted from the running order.

I Think I'm Going Bald
Yeah, they're not good at comedy, are they?

I can’t stand “Black Hole Sun.”
You know, I love the song but it's overly repetetive for me. Some songs just repeat too many times before ending. Same thing with STP's Plush. That one could be cut to 2/3 its original length.

Heck, I could even say the same thing for "Fly By Night". Way too many repeats of the chorus at the end.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 13:37

Well if we're talking soap stars turned pop flops, what about Craig McLaughlin with 'Hey Mona'. It turned my stomach.

Re: Weak Rush Songs - 05/05/2003 13:44

Heh, HYF would be one of my desert island picks if the last two songs were simply deleted from the running order.
You can do that you know . . . (maybe you already have )

Yeah, they're not good at comedy, are they?
Not that kind anyway. There are some better examples in later stuff (like I think the album cover for Counterparts is just great Edit: I mean the whole cover, inside and such). Also the whole first album is excellent comedy, if unintentional (and only because their later stuff is so different in lyrical style thanks to Mr. Peart).
Heck, I could even say the same thing for "Fly By Night". Way too many repeats of the chorus at the end.
I've never felt this way about this particular song, well not unit "In the End" comes up because it sounds way too similar.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 15:04

"Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley
"Respect" - Aretha Franklin

Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 15:08

In reply to:

Time After Time: Matchbox 20
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 17:07

I just learned something new, I'll try to find that one. I thought you were referring to "Sweet Dreams", the Eurythmics song. Same description basically, and I do like his version of it.

Worst song evar? Anything from the Grease soundtrack for me.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 17:16

I can't believe we got to this many posts without Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" (ooh hoo)

OMG, it just grates even thinking about that song! That's surely gotta be the worst song of all time, no?
Posted by: Heather

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 18:19

Thanks for the great drunken debate topic! (It also got them to stop callking me a dwweb for reading this while away).

The absolute worst:

Afternoon Delight by The Starlight Vocal Band. We can't decide if it's because the song really does suck tat bad, or the fact that they took a wonderful thing like a nooner and wrote such a shitty song about it.

Other honorable mentions:L

all the things she said - whoever the russian lesbians are
Boom Boom Boom Boom - Vengaboys
you light up my life - debbie boone
that celine dion song from titanic
I will always love you- whitney huston
Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - puff daddy and the family
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 18:19

"Muskrat Love" - Captain and Tenille

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 19:01

I can't believe we got to this many posts without Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" (ooh hoo)
I'm going to have to go with Tony and say that this falls in the category of all-time worst covers, as the original Dolly Parton recording was quite good.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 05/05/2003 19:11

Covers that are BETTER than the originals
Pretty much any Stones cover.
I'll take the Stones' original rendition of It's Only Rock and Roll over Twisted Sister's live version.

*shudder*
Posted by: ricin

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 19:15

That would be t.A.T.u.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 23:06

The absolute worst: Afternoon Delight by The Starlight Vocal Band.
Ouch. Hard to decide which is worse: This one, or Seasons in the Sun.

Let's see, if given a choice between listening to Seasons in the Sun or sticking bamboo shoots up under my fingernails, I'd choose the bamboo. But only Afternoon Delight would convince me to claw my own eyes out afterwards.

I think we have a winner.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 23:13

Goodbye to you my trusted friend
We've known each other since we were nine or ten
Together we climbed hills and trees
Learned of love and A B C's
Skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.

Goodbye my friend it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and I'll be there

We had joy we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed were just seasons
Out of time......

Goodbye Papa please pray for me
I was the black sheep of the family
You tried to teach me right from wrong
Too much wine and too much song
Wonder how I got along.

Goodbye Papa its hard to die
Little children everywhere
When you see them I'll be there.

We had joy we had fun
But the wine and the song like the seasons
Have all gone.

We had joy we had fun
Have all gone.

Goodbye Michelle my little one
You gave me love and helped me find the sun
And every time that I was down
You would always come around
And get my feet back on the ground.

Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die
With the flowers everywhere
I wish that we could both be there

We had joy we had fun
But the stars we could reach
Were just starfish on the beach

We had joy we had fun
But the stars we could reach
Were just starfish on the beach

We had joy we had fun
Have all gone

All our lives we had fun
But the hills that we climbed were just seasons
Out of time......

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

We had joy we had fun

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 23:14

Sorry Tony, but it had to be done...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 23:16

Don't you just love this rhyme:

Goodbye Papa please pray for me
I was the black sheep of the family

Re: Worst song of all time? - 05/05/2003 23:30

Sorry Tony, but it had to be done...
'Sokay, what goes around comes around.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 00:03

"Skyyyyyy rockets in flight!"

And I just watched PCU this weekend (for like the 50th time). That song would make me jump off a balcony too.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 03:09

I cant seem to open your russian lesbians link.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 03:17

I cant seem to open your russian lesbians link

LOL, that's just brightened up my day. I was sat here in HTML hell and decided to browse this board for a bit of light relief. I got it, thanks!

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 05:20

It's working now.

-Zeke
Posted by: frog51

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 05:22

That track may have been Tainted Love, if it's the goths crashing a frat party type video.

Other excellent tracks from my covers playlist you might be amused by are:

Does Your Mother Know Ash
Just A Gigolo Dave Lee Roth
Won't Get Fooled Again Van Halen
Shout2000 Disturbed
Knockin' On Heaven's Door Guns N' Roses (Not Avril Lavigne!)
Faith Limp Bizkit
Battle Of Evermore Lovemongers
Sweet Dreams Marilyn Manson
Billie Jean The Bates
Hello The Bates
It's My Party The Bates
It's Tricky The Bloodhound Gang

All are well worth a listen for various reasons:-)
Posted by: frog51

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 05:32

I know they are only lesbians as far as marketing presence goes, but I get all misty eyed (or something) just thinking about them....

I'm old and sad, must get a life somewhere

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 05:37

The Russian lesbians also recorded a cover of How Soon Is Now?, which I only omitted from my list of cover-crimes against humanity on the basis that Americans probably wouldn't have heard of either version...

Peter
Posted by: djc

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 06:12

Americans probably wouldn't have heard of either version...
the smiths were a mainstay of the american college radio scene in the mid-80's.

--dan.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 06:28

the smiths were a mainstay of the american college radio scene in the mid-80's.
Ah, I didn't know that. Respect. (Respect for How Soon Is Now? and Panic, anyway; some of their other stuff was a bit more-Northern-than-thou for my tastes...)

Peter

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 07:04

If that number of repetitions is accurate, I concede. I always thought that Eddie Rabbit's I Love a Rainy Night (another World's Worst contender) was the king there. A friend of mine once counted how many times he repeated it at the end of the song (it was playing before the showing at a movie theater), but I've forgotten now.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 07:39

Snake River Conspiracy also covered "How Soon Is Now?" rather well and it recieved some airplay on some local radio stations here in Columbus about a year ago. Smiths rock, and I really like Morrissey's solo stuff, too.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 07:58

The Russian lesbians also recorded a cover of How Soon Is Now?, which I only omitted from my list of cover-crimes against humanity on the basis that Americans probably wouldn't have heard of either version...

Actually, there's a fairly large following of the smiths in the US.

I now have something to be thankful for. I've never been exposed to their version.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 08:00

Ouch. Hard to decide which is worse: This one, or Seasons in the Sun.

According to last night's rerun of the conversation "Seasons in the Sun isn't as bad, because you casn get drunk enough to ignore it, and it hasn't tainted the idea of luchtime nookie". But it is a hard call.
Posted by: csf

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 08:04

Vanilla Trainwreck's entire album.
Posted by: bootsy

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 09:56

"We built this city..."

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 10:13

I regret to admit that I saw Starship perform that live in 1987(8?). They played that song _twice_.

It was a double bill. Starship & Nightranger. Oh Yeah.

-Zeke
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 10:21

...if given a choice between listening to Seasons in the Sun or sticking bamboo shoots up under my fingernails...

Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks or Le Moribond by Jacques Brel (speaking of covers) ?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 10:51

It was a double bill. Starship & Nightranger. Oh Yeah.
You can make fun of Night Ranger all you want, but Jeff Watson is an insanely good guitar player.

And I agree, "We Built This City" is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 10:53

or Le Moribond by Jacques Brel (speaking of covers) ?
Not familiar with that one. I'm guessing I'm lucky for that?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:01

or Le Moribond by Jacques Brel (speaking of covers) ?

Not familiar with that one. I'm guessing I'm lucky for that?

Not neccessarily. Brel's version (I think that's the original) doesn't have a trace of the other one's sacharine.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:02

Wait, you're telling me that Seasons in the Sun is a cover?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:08

AFAIK yes, Le Moribond is the original (it's from '61, according to AMG and some lyrics sites).

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:09

Wow. The English lyrics are by Rod McKuen. No wonder.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:17

You don't like Starship?? Cheesy 80s pop at its finest, along with Live it Up by Mental As Anything.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:25

Wow. Okay, so it disqualifies it as a contender for the worst "song" of all time, just as one of the worst covers of all time.

I had no idea.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:29

I'm glad I was of some use today

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:33

Tony, assuming we find a winner, will you be adding the worst song of all time to the faq?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:51

Sure, why the hell not?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 11:54

Better yet, when you FAQ people you can force them to listen to it . . .
Posted by: TheRhino

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 12:34

In a similar thread (weak songs by great bands), I can’t stand “Black Hole Sun.” I don’t know why because I really like Soundgarden, but it just drives me nuts. I also realize I’m probably the only person who feels this way.

I like Superunknown, but loathe this song. Too much play, and the video was pretty disturbing.

Covers better than originals
I like the Type O Negative covers:
Summer Breeze (Isley Bros.)
Cinammon Girl (Neil Young)
Hey Pete (Hey Joe - Hendrix)
Day Tripper (Beatles)

Worst song ever
I'd have to go with Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good. I can't stand that... [whiny voice] My Maserati does 185 ... [/whiny voice]
Posted by: Tim

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 13:46

"Nothing Compares 2 U"- Sinéad O'Connor

The Me First and the Gimme Gimmes cover is awesome though
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 17:59

I can't even think of where to start there are so many bad songs out there. A few that will send me into convulsions...

Criss Cross - Jump Around
Any song performed on South Park (particularly by Cartman)
Another vote for Seasons in the Sun
Aqua - Barbie Girl
ABBA - SOS (and most of the rest of their songs)
I Will Survive (Cake's version is terrible, the original is so much worse)
Anything from the movie Grease

EDIT: Forgot one, Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby. I haven't heard that song in at least 10 years and the damn thing is stuck in my head just from typing out the name. Definitely the work of Satan.

-Mike
Posted by: grgcombs

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 06/05/2003 20:04

Annie Lennox does "Don't Let it Bring You Down" far better than Neil Young.

Don Walser does a great Long Black Veil over Johnny Cash

Reverend Horton Heat does a better Fulsom Prison Blues than Johnny Cash.

The Derailers to a better Rasberry Beret than Prince.

I love the Gourds' Gin and Juice, much more appealing than Snoopy Dog Dog.

Greg
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 21:36

Seasons in the Sun isn't as bad, because you casn get drunk enough to ignore it, and it hasn't tainted the idea of luchtime nookie". But it is a hard call.

I can't believe I'm the only person to-date whose stomach turns to a couple of muskrats having lunchtime nookie (i.e., Muskrat Love) I suspect it's possible that many of the people on this forum may have "tuned-in" after this work of art was finally pulled off the air.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 06/05/2003 22:03

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby. I haven't heard that song in at least 10 years and the damn thing is stuck in my head just from typing out the name. Definitely the work of Satan.
And what makes it worse is that the only part of the song that's anything close to a catchy tune is a looped sample from a much older Queen + David Bowie song ("Under Pressure"). Which in itself should be a nominee IMHO.
Posted by: m6400

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 09:44

but have you heard HIS heavy metal "cover" of it?
don't know what you'd think if it but it made a song I enjoyed when i was 10 into a song i could enjoy when i was 17.....but it's kinda run out of steam now

stop
colaborate and listen
ice is back, i've got a brand new invention
something
grabs ahold of me tightly
flow like a harpoon daily and nightly
will it ever stop
yo, i don't know
turn off the lights
and i glow
to the extream
i rock the mike like a vandal
light up the stage
and wax you chump like a candle
dance
while the speakers go 'boom'
i'm filling your brain like a poisonus mushroom
deadly
when i play my cold mellody
anything less than the best is a felony
love it or leave it
you bet i can't wait
better hit the bullseye
kid don't play
if there was a problem
yo, i'll solve it
check out the hook
while my DJ revolves it
ice ice baby.....
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 10:17

but have you heard HIS heavy metal "cover" of it?
don't know what you'd think if it but it made a song I enjoyed when i was 10 into a song i could enjoy when i was 17.....but it's kinda run out of steam now
Nah, hasn't run out of steam at all. You play that song at a party, wedding, or whatever, and you're virtually guaranteed to get any male in my age range (I'm 26) to the dance floor, singing along, and knowing absolutely every word of the song.

There are some songs that are so bad, they're good.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 10:32

Goodbye to you my trusted friend
We've known each other since we were nine or ten
Together we climbed hills and trees
Learned of love and A B C's
Skinned our hearts and skinned our knees. ....

Again, the Me First and the Gimme Gimmes cover is aweomse. Ah hell, the MFATGG cover of anything is likely to be better than the original Mind you, its not true for ALL their songs, but the vast majority.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 10:36

Mind you, its not true for ALL their songs, but the vast majority.
Well, occasionally, they do a cover of a *good* song (Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, Blowin' in the Wind, Hotel California to name a few.) I think their songs are better (more fun) when they take a cheesy song (Country Road, Walking on Sunshine, Mandy, I Get Around come to mind) and make them cheesier.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 10:55

Hotel California
Surely you've put this in the wrong category.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 10:56

Surely you've put this in the wrong category.
Hey, different strokes for different folks. I think it's a decent tune. I do admit it was the one that I just threw in to make 3, but I wouldn't consider it as bad as the others on my list.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:02

Any song sung by Barney.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:03

Hotel California is one of the greatest songs of all time, for a multitude of reasons. If you wish to debate this topic, I would be happy to, but let's start another thread for that purpose.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:14

(i.e., Muskrat Love) I suspect it's possible that many of the people on this forum may have "tuned-in" after this work of art was finally pulled off the air.

Yup. Never heard it. I have seen references to the song pop up in places.

But I have no idea what a muskrat is.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:20

Muskrat attached.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:24

Muskrat attached.

Thanks. Not one of those things you see too often in The Bronx.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:27

It looks physically like halfway between a beaver and an opossum. But it has stink glands like a skunk.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:29

Can't believe I've missed out 'Saturday Night' but not sure if Whigfield covered it or not.

And who remembers that Tetris song? Aaaaaaaghh!

Edit: And although not bad in its own right, Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red has been played so much that its got a hate following. Its not even that bad... just overplayed.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:35

If you wish to debate this topic, I would be happy to, but let's start another thread for that purpose.
I don't have anything to debate, as it's obviously subjective. I haven't met anyone else outside a redneck in the last ten years or so who doesn't also find it annoying. All I have to say is that it's musically insipid (to me).

If you really feel like debating it, though, I'm sure I can get my polemic swerve on.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:36

"I don't have anything to debate, as it's obviously subjective"

Aren't all debates?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:38

Well, I meant that any criteria for qualifying good-ness is subjective in this case. In most debates, the conclusion is subjective, but the argument itself consists of objective facts (with potentially varying degrees of truth).

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:40

I Will Survive (Cake's version is terrible, the original is so much worse)

How about this version (BTW, I don't remember where I originally found out about it - here?)

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 11:43

Yes, but its not better than Monty Python's Universe song! Factual, catchy and has a tune! But back to the bad ones...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:05

Disclaimer: I actually have country music on my Empeg, but it's because my wife likes country music . . . really!

Yes, but its not better than Monty Python's Universe song! Factual, catchy and has a tune! But back to the bad ones...
I have Clint Black covering the "Universe Song" on my Empeg, complete with an intro he did with Eric Idle. I think it's a really great cover, though not necessarily better than the origional.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:07

Nothing wrong with Shania Twain! But I draw the line at line-dancing.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:10

Hotel California is one of the greatest songs of all time
I don't care for it myself, but what makes me mad about it is that it always gets listed (presumably by people who like it) as one of the greatest rock songs of all time. I simply don't consider it a rock tune.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:12

Sorry in advance for this rant:

I don't have anything to debate, as it's obviously subjective.
While liking the way a song makes a person feel may be the only criteria some need, it is not the only way it can be judged. It’s a given that most pop music really has little else to offer, but other forms (especially classical) have many other criteria that can be applied that are not nearly as subjective as the way a song “feels”. I suppose this case can be made for all art forms, but I think musical is far more mathematical in nature than most art, and therefore is more accessible to less-subjective standards.

As an example, while many listen to classical music and only observe it by the way the instruments and melody sound, most of the time there is a lot more going on. If you’ve studied the different forms (i.e. sonata) you’ll find that the composer is generally following some well defined (and mathematical) “rules”, and doing it rather well (or the music wouldn’t still be around). The really best composers (like Bach) can sometimes really twist the “rules” to the extreme, but if you look at the music you’ll eventually see how it all makes sense.

While this all might seem academic, it really isn’t. One’s appreciation for music skyrockets when these “rules” are understood. Instead of sitting at a symphony thinking “that was a nice melody, but let’s get on to something more interesting” you find yourself with thoughts more like “hmmm, I wonder what the composer’s going to do now . . . Oh, I see, but . . . OK that was different. I sure would like to hear it again. I like the way he brought the main them back into the recapitulation but this time in the lower voices.”

Certainly there is still a subjective element here, but it is not pure subjective reasoning. Of course this is just one medium, and there are a whole different set of “rules” for pop music than there are for classical (The dastardly crime of “parallel fifths” in classical would write off half the rock songs I know). Still, it is difficult to find pop music that really is even remotely intelligent from a form standpoint, thus leaving the listener with only pure-subjective criteria for determining whether a song is “good” or not.

To bring it back around, “Hotel California” has more going on than just a subjective listening would tell you. The chord progression alone is fairly complicated from a musical standpoint.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:13

I don't care for it myself, but what makes me mad about it is that it always gets listed (presumably by people who like it) as one of the greatest rock songs of all time. I simply don't consider it a rock tune.
While I am well aware that debating musical styles, genres, tones, etc. is a slippery slope, I find it hard to understand how Hotel California could be considered anything other than rock. What else would you call it? Country? Blues? Gospel?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:18

Rock ballad.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:22

Rock ballad.
Okay, so getting back to Dignan's assertion, let's make sure that any "500 best rock songs ever" list includes no ballads. No "Let it Be," no "Black", no "Hey You"...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:26

What else would you call it? Country?
Yeah, I'm sure that's what he was thinking. The Eagles straddled the Country and Rock genres. Most of that album is more country than rock. I happen to think HC falls under Rock more than Country.

Regarding the earlier comments on the song form itself: I agree that the chord progression is more complicated than most rock tunes. It does an interesting dance with keys and resolutions that makes it particularly cool. It also breaks out of the standard rock song format by placing the guitar solo at the end of the song instead of before the second chorus, making it a great climactic moment. And the guitar solo itself is revered by many guitarists as being one of the most interesting and melodic examples in the history of rock. The trade-off between the two guitars exchanging the riffs and then harmonizing is just fantastic. The lyric is wonderful because of the subject matter and the metaphors. (Not everyone knows the song was about Hollywood and the music business in the 70's.)

Darn, now I've done it... and I didn't even start a new thread...

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:33

Not everyone knows the song was about Hollywood and the music business in the 70's.
I didn't, I'd always heard they never said what it was about (though people in the circles I run in have said it was obviously about the devil worship, like the situation in the song is a favorable one). However, being about the music business seems to make perfect sense now that you've said it. The stuff you learn on this bbs!

Darn, now I've done it... and I didn't even start a new thread...
Nope, I did. I almost put my comments in a separate thread, but I couldn't figure out how to subject line it.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:48

I'd always heard they never said what it was about
Musicians tend to dislike talking about the meaning of their own songs, preferring the listener to make their own interpretation. It's part of all art: The viewer/listener adds themselves to the experience, making it more than just what the artist created. But for what it's worth, "Hollywood in the 70's" was a specific quote I read from Henley himself (long after working it out on my own).

Oh, and there's a more recent one Henley did about Hollywood in the 90's, called "Garden of Allah". Love that one. Always considered it a sequel.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 07/05/2003 12:51

Okay, well, I just don't lump it in with what I consider the "rock" genre. Not that particular song, at least. I tend to seperate sounds like "country-rock" and just plain "rock" as being different genres.

Plus, I have a hard time saying "Hey, man 'Hotel California' ROCKS!" [add devil-horn hands and stuck-out tongue]

Guess I'm just not an Eagles fan

Besides, I agree with Bitt. "Best Songs Ever" would be a subjective list no matter how or who made it, because chances are they would all be different. My favorite song of all time probably wouldn't even be on any of your lists at all.
Posted by: muzza

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 04:01

any good songs from Def Leppard?
mmmmmmm, no.

Rocket. Ye-ah. Satellite of Luurv. OOoo.
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 06:38

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!!

I check my email the other day... lots of mention of Ice Ice Baby in the Off Topic Digest. Cool. I have since heard it three times on MuchMusic. Now I also have the lyrics looking me in the face! ARRRRGGGHHHHH! Please make it stop!!!

Posted by: Mach

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 08:55

Ahh David Hasselhoff.... Warning: Swallow the beverage of your choice before clicking.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 10:50

Ahh David Hasselhoff.... Warning: Swallow the beverage of your choice before clicking.
Thank you, that was hilarious.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 10:55

Plus, I have a hard time saying "Hey, man 'Hotel California' ROCKS!" [add devil-horn hands and stuck-out tongue]
I have a great musician joke that only works visually because it requires you do the devil-horn-hands thing. So it won't "work" here in print. But I'll print it here and then the next time you tell it "in person" you'll get a good laugh:

Q: How many death-metal guitarists does it take to put in a light bulb?

A: None, because DARKNESS RULES!!!! [do the devil-horn hands on the last bit and make sure to say it like a teenage metal fan would say it.]

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 08/05/2003 14:02

"Reverend Horton Heat does a better Fulsom Prison Blues than Johnny Cash"

BLASPHEMER!

I love the Reverend Horton, but I cannot agree his version of Folsom Prison is better than The Man in Black's.

Homer Simpson singing "We Built this City..." is almost physically tolerable.
Posted by: grgcombs

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 08/05/2003 15:17

I've been called that before over this very issue, but I'm nothing if not stubborn. I love Johnny Cash. So much so that I'm comfortable saying that I like the Rev's version better.

After hearing the Reverend, I have to say that Johnny Cash's Fulsom is too dry, not enough soul I think.

Greg

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 19:23

On the topic of good covers:

John Mayer covered "Kid A" very well. I would say it's very, very close to the goodness of the original, which elevates John Mayer in my view.

Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa covered "Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears. Needless to say, the Zappa's version is cooler (now if they could have worked in Moon Unit in there, that would be a hat trick)

I like Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal" better than Jacko's.

Every song that Nirvana covered in their Unplugged set, especially the Meat Puppet's stuff.

I can't decide of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is better than Trent's. Very, very heart-wrenching, that one. Why is it that he can sing about things he's never experianced and make it sound so beliveable?

Other covers that are better than the original:
Joey Ramone's - "What a Wonderful World".
Mike Ness - "I Fought The Law"
Fiona Apple - "Across the Universe"
Dixie Chicks - "Home"
Matthew Sweet - Scooby Doo Theme
Rage Against The Machine - "How I Could Just Kill A Man"
Violent Femmes - "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me"
Presidents of the United States Of America - "Kick Out The Jams"

Well, that should do it for now.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 19:58

Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa covered "Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears. Needless to say, the Zappa's version is cooler (now if they could have worked in Moon Unit in there, that would be a hat trick)

I didn't even know that was a Spears song until one of the girls I work with gave me crap for not knowing that. I never head it until I heard the cover by Second Floor Daycare. I must be sheltered or something

Re: Worst song of all time? - 08/05/2003 21:57

Every song that Nirvana covered in their Unplugged set, especially the Meat Puppet's stuff
Agreed. I have the albums those Meat Puppets songs are on, and I have the Vaselines' album, and the Nirvana covers are all better than the originals.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 01:53

"After hearing the Reverend, I have to say that Johnny Cash's Fulsom is too dry, not enough soul I think.

Maybe we're talking about a different song. I'm refering to FOlsom Prison Blues...

Anyway... I bought the "Holy Roller CD" just for the Rev's version of that and the one other new song. I already had everything else he had recorded. You must be talking about a different recording? Live perhaps? I was honestly quite disappointed with the Reverend's version... To me it had a sort of "phoned-in" quality. Please say it's another recording?

To add to the conversation at hand... Some covers that I find to be at least equal to the originals...

Will Oldham -- "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow"
Johnny Cash -- "I See a Darkness"
Parliament -- "Testify"
Les Claypool -- "Awakenings"
Primus -- "Intruder"
Tom Waits ---"Rain on Me":

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 05:46

I vote with Greg. I also love Mr. Cash, but the Rev's got him beat on this tune.

That being said, Cash's version of 'Reach out and Touch Faith' (Depeche Mode) is deliciously wry. Fantastic.

-Zeke

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 09:32

Cash's version of 'Reach out and Touch Faith' (Depeche Mode)
I believe the correct song title is "Personal Jesus". One of my faves. I didn't realize Cash had covered it, I'll have to look that one up.

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 10:39

You know, I agonized over that for a minute, but everyone I asked in my office had no idea. Either too old or too young. I figured I'd be corrected if I got it wrong!
If you were to look at <a href="ftp://castlegreenwald.dyndns" target="_blank">ftp://castlegreenwald.dyndns</a> dot org
you'd probably find it under /music/general/jkl/johnny cash - Personal Jesus.mp3

-Zeke

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 10:58

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 09/05/2003 12:11

That tune is from American IV: The Man Comes Around.

Cash has been doing a lot of covers in the past decade with Rick Rubin. They are all pretty good, but different enough to not be able to call them "better", like Rusty Cage (by Soundgarden) and One (U2). On the IV album, he also covers Desparado (Eagles), I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams), Bridge Over Troubled Water, and In My Life (Beatles).
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 17:59

Having led a very sheltered life, I never even knew that Mr. Shatner had ever recorded anything.

So, interest piqued, I found a place on the internet where I could download his version of "Lucy...", dutifully loaded it into my empeg, and then played it.

How can there be any doubt that this is the worst song? Or at least, the worst performance of a pretty good song?

This song has proven to be a valuable addition to the "Comedy" genre in my player.

tanstaafl.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 18:01

How can there be any doubt that this is the worst song?
Posted by: tman

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 18:06

If you "enjoyed" the William Shatner monologues then I'm sure you'll like the Leonard Nimoy songs...
You can even buy a best of compilation from Amazon if you like it

One of the Futurama episodes actually has William Shatner as Kirk doing a spoken version of I'm the real Slim Shady...

- Trevor

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 18:09

Nimoy also just barely loses to Maya Angelou as World's Worst Published Poet.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 18:22

In reply to:

If you "enjoyed" the William Shatner monologues then I'm sure you'll like the Leonard Nimoy songs...
You can even buy a best of compilation from Amazon if you like it

My brother actually bought me that CD for Christmas!
He must really hate me!!
Although I'm just twisted enough to see the comedy value in it

Re: Worst song of all time? - 09/05/2003 22:49

I have the video of him singing the Bilbo Baggins song. I'll make it available to anyone who wants it. (as I go off to make sure I still have it...)

And I love that Futurama episode. "How can you do a spoken word version of a rap song?"

Re: Worst song of all time? - 10/05/2003 12:15

I would pay a serious sum of money for a High Quality version of Bill Shatner performing "Rocket Man"... Oh man, is that high art or what?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 10/05/2003 12:46

I would pay a serious sum of money for a High Quality version of Bill Shatner performing "Rocket Man"... Oh man, is that high art or what?
I remember seeing him actually do that live on television once. I forget the event, maybe it was at the oscars or the grammys or something. I seem to remember it was some kind of a show like that. Having been both a Star Trek fan and an Elton John fan at the time, seeing it was like watching the worst train wreck imaginable.
Posted by: tman

Re: Worst song of all time? - 10/05/2003 12:50

Why do singers always want to become actors and actors always want to become singers?
Is there some deep and meaning reasoning behind this or is it just the grass is always greener on the other side?

- Trevor

Re: Worst song of all time? - 10/05/2003 13:16

I went to see Maid in Manhattan (with my wife, and I like Ralph Fiennes, anyway) and there's this minor plot point where Jennifer Lopez's character's son in the movie has an obsession with '70s pop music. Very early in the movie, he asks her, as he's listening to them, why Simon and Garfunkel broke up. She says she doesn't know, and why not look it up somewhere.

Of course, the funny thing is that Simon and Garfunkel broke up because Art Garfunkel was spending more time trying to work on his burgeoning and reasonably successful acting career than working on the music. I assumed that this was a slap of some nature at Ms. Lopez. I wonder if she got it? I'm guessing that she didn't.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 10/05/2003 15:13

I assumed that this was a slap of some nature at Ms. Lopez. I wonder if she got it? I'm guessing that she didn't.
Or she could be deliberately poking fun at herself, or maybe poking fun at those who criticize her singer-cum-actor image. I consider that a much more plausible explanation.

A basic assumption is being made here: That singing and acting are two separate kinds of careers. My opinion is that they're both show business, and there are some performers who are well suited to both. I say, more power to 'em.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 11/05/2003 01:02

Oh yeah... I've seen a really horrible (codec, not the performance) version of it. It was at some industry awards benefit or some such thing. It was fantastic...

Bill, with his bow tie undone in a very Frank fashion... performing his "interpretation"... smoking a cigarette... then him super-imposed over himself, looking very pained... then, as the music rises for the chorus, a THIRD super-imposed image of him groooooooovin'...

Oh god... DVD quality at least. The Bilbo Baggens incident doesn't even compare.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 11/05/2003 03:29

Oh. My. God. No!!

I just listened to Mr Tambourine Man. He sounds constipated, and I have to say I was slightly frightened when he chose to yell "Mr Tambourine Man" at the end.

I recommend you all have a listen.

Oh, and I also remember seeing Mr Shatner singing Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. He was done up in the same dinner jacket and his facial expressions have to be seen to be believed!

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 04:46

Mr Shatner

Shame on you for going for an American worst singer, we may be a small nation, but we have our own talent: Catch Paul Shane (from hi-de-hi) giving it out with: "You've lost that lovin' feelin'" - awesomely bad!

Keep it sunny, I'm belting up the M6 for a week in your part of the world, thursday night.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 04:54

Not much sun just now! Non-stop rain for the past 3 weeks! Although I saw the sun yesterday, so theres hope for Thursday.

Paul Shane eh? Yup I remember seeing him singing that when Reeves and Mortimer showed a clip. His calming tones belting out "Baby Baby"! Wonderful stuff.
Posted by: TheRhino

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 07:57

I'm gonna have to add that "Hey, now. You're an All-Star" song. God, they play that for EVERYTHING related to sports. Super very annoying.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 10:17

Shame on you for going for an American worst singer
Um, isn't Shatner a Canadian?

Hmmm, now that I think about it, he probably lives in the US and has been a US citizen for a long time. Never mind.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 10:36

My best friend gave Shatner lessons on how to use a PC about 10 years ago. I've always found that amusing.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 10:49

He lives in California, but was raised in Montreal according to an mp3 I found of him talking at a dinner thingy.
Posted by: davec

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 12:04

Why do singers always want to become actors and actors always want to become singers?

No marketable skills to make an honest living?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 12:49

I don't know, but just remember that it isn't always a bad thing. One of my new favorite bands has a lead singer and songwriter who was an actress, but she's much better in music than she was on screen.

Also, I just saw "A Mighty Wind" last night, and most of them are great musicians as well. I liked Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara's duets.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 13:21

One of my new favorite bands has a lead singer and songwriter who was an actress, but she's much better in music than she was on screen.

Jennifer Lopez is in a band now?

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 13:28

You insult me!
Posted by: edsmiata

Re: Covers that are BETTER than the originals - 12/05/2003 13:54

...it was never about the singing!!!!

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:04

Um, isn't Shatner a Canadian?

Canada is only the next country up from you, Shatner is clearly from another planet where they have no knowledge of tonic sol-fa!

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:16

You insult me!

Lighten up, I was joking. Hence the

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:18

Lighten up, I was joking.
So was he, I thought.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:18

Hehe, I know. I should have added a

I merely wanted to let you know my stance

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:22

/me feeling stupid now...

Take no notice of me. I just spent an entire day amoung people that are so full of themselves and have the longest toes you can imagine. Politicians....Ugh.
I guess I was still in that world when I logged on...

I merely wanted to let you know my stance

Why? What's wrong with Jennifer Lopez ? (as long as you don't hear her sing or see her act?)

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 15:36

Hehe, no problem! I understand fine Sadly, when I woke up this morning, I turned on my TV to see a Jennifer Lopez video on one station, then turned to VH1 where they were playing "Selena." Ugh.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 12/05/2003 18:07

and have the longest toes you can imagine
???

Howler monkeys?

I'm guessing that this is some Dutch colloquialism that doesn't translate.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 13/05/2003 01:17

I'm guessing that this is some Dutch colloquialism that doesn't translate.

I could have sworn that one existed in English too. Guess not. Don't you guys use the expression : "to step on one's toes" when you insult someone?
Over here we use the expression "to have long toes", and it means "to be easily offended". (it's obviously derived from the former expression)
Like you have to be *very* careful of what you say to those kind of people, because if there's *any* chance of them taking it the wrong way, they most likely will.

I really hate those kind of people. Taking themselves WAY too serious, and not an ounce of humour whatsoever.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 13/05/2003 05:25

I got what you meant right away. 'To have long toes' is not a usual saying (at least in the US), but 'stepping on someone's toes' is a common expression. I like the mental image of your expression. It's perfect.

-Zeke

Re: Worst song of all time? - 13/05/2003 10:09

That's very interesting. "Stepping on someone's toes" is a common expression, but yours is an interesting flip-side to it. I like that! (and no, I've never heard that part over here)
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Worst song of all time? - 13/05/2003 19:22

I like it. I've never heard it used in Canada, either.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 14/05/2003 00:59

Maybe you guys can all start using it from now on.

Come to think of it : maybe it's not even proper Dutch. It could be just the local dialect. Hmm, I'm in doubt now. (Over here, the dialects change considerably every 30km or so). I'm going to look this one up.

Re: Worst song of all time? - 14/05/2003 13:49

Been very busy today, but did manage to look it up : it's perfectly good Dutch, the expression is in the dictionary.
Phew...