Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM monitor

Posted by: wfaulk

Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM monitor - 15/07/2003 08:42

I've managed to screw up my runtime linker configuration on my workstation.

It would be remarkably helpful if someone could remember the thing where you can escalate the privileges of a certain process from the prom so that I can delete the bogus /var/ld/ld.config file and make things work again.

If anyone can find it or remembers it, I'd be much appreciative. I don't really feel like shutting the machine down hard. (Basically I can only run statically linked binaries. I can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH back to /usr/lib, but I can't do that for any process that's suid, so I can't be root.)

In the meantime, I'm going to lunch.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 11:04

Really wish I could help, but all I could turn up was info that this procedure is covered in some certification exam from Sun. Specificially CX-310-301, and I can't find an online study guide for it.

All my experience with Solaris is either remote to a Sun box (long ago), or on Intel platforms. My experience with Open Firmware is only on Apple machine.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM monitor - 15/07/2003 11:23

I am not really sure what you are looking for? You mention the prom, but I assume you are not talking boot prom at this stage. Can you be a little more specific?

I understand you are trying to delete a bogus file, but cannot do it with a symbolicly linked command. Can you use a copy con or other editor (your choice) to overwrite the file? Are you root now?

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 11:41

There is a manner in which one can find the process space of a running process, enter the OpenBoot PROM and modify the memory at that space so that it you can checnge the ownership of the process. I may have read it in a 2600, now that I think of it.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 11:46

If anyone can find it or remembers it, I'd be much appreciative. I don't really feel like shutting the machine down hard. (Basically I can only run statically linked binaries. I can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH back to /usr/lib, but I can't do that for any process that's suid, so I can't be root.)

Move it out of the way with /usr/sbin/static/mv?

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:09

But I'm not root.

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:11

Found it.

FORTH Hacking on Sparc Hardware

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:15

It might be possible to modify the process ownership by changing the user ID in the /proc directory... Hmm... Thinking...

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:15

NEAT!!! Of course, I would trigger tons of alarms if I tried that here...

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:44

Of course, I mistyped one character and screwed it up. Kinda like how I got to this point in the first place.

Oh, well. My ufs logging filesystems are currently grinding the crap out of my drives....

Edit: Now that my drives are done rolling back, I tried it again and it worked right. The zsh I modified even noticed and changed the prompt from `%' to `#'. Neat.

What I typed wrong was ``hex 0 300007dcba9 4 + l!''. I accidentally typed ``hex 0 300007dcba9 f + l!''. (Damn head thinking ``four'' instead of ``4''.) It told me that the alignment was invalid in some manner, so I tried again correctly, but it was already screwed by that point. A ``go'' just hung the machine. I couldn't even get back to the prom.

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 12:45

Damn. And I only just now noticed that I misspelled escalation in the thread title. I should just go home.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 13:04

I should just go home.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Tuesdays.

I was having one earlier today, and that's exactly what I did. Went home, took an hour nap, and came back to work. So I'll have to stay a little later, but at least I'll be somewhat productive.

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 13:21

Let's not forget the construction going on about ten feet from me, where, amongst other noisy activities, they're cutting metal studs with power saws and using gunpowder-actuated concrete nailers, which is like having .22-caliber handguns going off. Then there's the incessant beeping coming from the hardware CD copier of the guy that's not here today.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 14:12

We've secretly replaced Bitt with link-happy CmdrTaco of Slashdot fame. Let's see if anyone notices the difference...
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 14:13

Damn is that ever cool. Makes me feel like a seriously wimpy geek, though...

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 14:13

Just thank your lucky stars I didn't link ``incessant beeping''.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 14:20

That'll be easy - Just look out for a new thread appearing in the near future;

"Hacking Forth to get root on Sun machines. [Edit: Dupe]"

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 16:08

So you just need a static setuid binary and it will all be fine. Too bad su isn't static, despite my best efforts on behalf of my own su. So I'll just shut up.

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 16:14

Yeah. In their infinite wisdom, Sun decided that we didn't really need those static binaries anymore. Assholes. Pointless to make multiple partitions now, too.

Re: Solaris privilege esaclation from the PROM mon - 15/07/2003 22:18

Yeah. In their infinite wisdom, Sun decided that we didn't really need those static binaries anymore.

Well, it's hard to build a static su that supports pam and nss (or even just nss). On the other hand, I have the cheesy setuid binary, which is trivial to make static

But that doesn't help you.