printing directly onto DVDs or CDs?

Posted by: burdell1

printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 16/07/2003 05:41

has anyone tried the Epson Stylus Photo 960 printer? With it you can print directly onto CDs or DVDs. I was just wondering how good they look afterward....
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 16/07/2003 05:46

While not an answer to your question...
Converting an ink jet to print on CDs

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 16/07/2003 05:51

I think I will stick to the printer.......i think for $100 more (probably less if found on pricewatch) that it would be worth it for multi-color DVD/CD printing
Posted by: Dignan

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 16/07/2003 06:15

I've seen that printer. It looks cool but I have to wonder whether the ink will run.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 17/07/2003 08:08

My previous company had a ink-jet printer (I don't remember which) that prints directly to CDs, but it required special media (with white paper-like absorbent coating). Worked quite well.

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 17/07/2003 08:12

Well, that isn't printing directly on the CD, is it? You can already do that with any printer and a CD labeling kit...
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 17/07/2003 08:13

No. You just have to use printable media - the media has an ink-retentive layer on it. It looks more like a drive than a printer - you put the disk in it, and it prints on the media itself.

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 17/07/2003 08:21

So do you always start at white with this media? I prefer the silver background you can get with thermal on blank-faced media.

I've wanted to get a small professional one with a friend of mine for a while now. He records a lot of local groups and makes CDs for them, so we've been thinking about it.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 17/07/2003 09:25

You can get either white or silver. Both media versions are typically unbranded with a matte finish. The finish supposedly has little pores for the ink to settle and dry. I was just checking out the printers over here, and they have the various media types as well.

Re: printing directly onto DVDs or CDs? - 20/07/2003 10:35

does anyone have any samples of CDs or DVDs after they have been printed?