WIN 98 and floppy disks.

Posted by: schofiel

WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 09:32

Sometime over the last year, during the slow but sure erosion caused by using Windows Update at M$, both my Win 98 boxes seem to have lost their ability to access their floppy disks. I have swapped out for known good drives, but they dont work either.

There are no disabling settings in the BIOS, which I have reset and then re-configured, and it's still the same. It seems as if it's something that Win itself does to the drives.

Symptoms are - won't boot from drive A: even when designated first boot device with normal user access in BIOS, and always reports "Not ready" or "inaccessible" when looking at A: in Exploder.

Any one seen the same? Any ideas?
Posted by: Daria

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 10:48

I inadvertantly set my wife's machine's bios to "2.88mb type 3" or somesuch, and it did the same thing, but I think that's a coincidence.
Posted by: Mach

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 11:09

Are you running a tape backup system with these systems? This thread in dejanews may help.
As a last resort, Here's MS troubleshooting link
Posted by: StigOE

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 11:22

Are you sure that the floppy interface/controller is actually working?

Stig
Posted by: andym

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 11:49

Check wether the floppy controller is still enabled, I think you can still select the floppy settings in the other BIOS screens even if it's disabled.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 14:43

Yeah, I'm with everyone else here. The only times I've had trouble getting a floppy disk drive working is when the BIOS, Windows, and the drive itself all disagreed on the type of floppy it was.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 14:53

Most likely not the issue here, but I've connected a floppy drive cable backwards. It ends up corrupting the floppy and is frustrating b/c the drive light comes on and it looks like its working. I munched several boot floppies this way before figuring it out. If you're not booting from the floppy you can boot all the way up to the OS (at least W2k) and still have a: show up, although it's not functional in the least.

-Zeke

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 15:04

Yeah, agreed, and there's also the wrong-connector issue, where you connect the drive to the B connector on the floppy cable instead of the A connector.
Posted by: pca

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 15:57

There may in fact be a stealth floppy drive disabling setting in the BIOS, called "Swap FD" or something similar. This inverts the drive select line, so A: becomes B:. It's a sneaky setting that can cause hours of enjoyment if it gets turned on, by, for instance, a CMOS backup battery getting low and causing the BIOS settings to become a bit suspect.

pca

Re: WIN 98 and floppy disks. - 19/07/2003 16:29

NOW, I remember what was wrong with my BIOS.