Best Portable Player thread linked?

Posted by: cushman

Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 09:55

Hrm... looks like a lot of people have been taking interest in our Portable Player thread:

What do the referrers say, Drakino?

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 09:58

Number is up to 49 Anonymoose...
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 09:58

If you Google 'Rio Karma' the thread is the #3 link. #2 is a link listing Karma Camille, apparently at the Rio in Vegas with the title 'Sexercize #3'.

-Zeke
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:02

Wow. Imagine how bad it would be if someone had actually followed this moronic suggestion.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:02

Well, they linked here first, so only fair to return the favor:

www.gizmodo.com seems to be the reason for a spike in the anonymous users.

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:03

Yes, but that wouldn't explain the sharp increase in anon users. The number is at 67 anon users, the majority of which are viewing that single thread. It just started happening a few minutes ago. That is cool that the thread is listed highly on Google, though.

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:07

That's a fairly cool website. Too bad they don't have comments that we could troll, though.
Posted by: DLF

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:10

Funny, since I originally found the thread a couple of weeks ago (and immediately joined the board) after Googling "Rio Pearl"

Cushman, I'm surprised you think it's "cool," given the danger of board "contamination" that it represents.

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:18

I don't mind that information exists on this board about the Karma, or that people are linking to particular threads about the Karma. I just didn't think that this board's purpose is to host discussions about ALL Rio products. The Empeg and the Karma are two different products, with different uses and different audiences. Hopefully a Karma discussion board will pop up, then it will be #1 on Google.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:43

Hmm... The number of thread reads is also climbing quite a bit. I hope that the BBS isn't slash-dotted!!!

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 10:49

That was the 1st thing I checked. Care to take bets on when that will be?
[Ducking now]

-Zeke
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 11:23

I suppose the empeg guys aren't probably too upset about this exposure. I mean, if you read through that thread it's all sorts of word-of-mouth about how great their software is. I'd suspect having potential customers fishing around there is probably better than any advertising money they could come up with.

edit: although having the thread where Rob R refers to potential customers as "chodes" might not be the best PR!

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 19:16

Yes, but they'd be above average chodes for picking such a fine music player. Haut chodes if you will.

-Zeke
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 20:27

here's the number one result for rio pearl

http://www.riopearl.com.hk/
Posted by: tman

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 20:39

Chode or choad? They're both in dictionary.com but one is worse than the other
Posted by: music

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 04/08/2003 23:42

although having the thread where Rob R refers to potential customers as "chodes" might not be the best PR!

Shouldn't it be choad ?
From the Anglo-Saxon word ceod -- "one who bears no clue, and posts without wisdom."

/music
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 04:57

True enough (about the spelling anyhow), I didn't check so I trusted my memory and posted without wisdom. I'll have to beg for Rob's forgiveness . . .

Edit: actually, he used the "ode" spelling, so I guess I'm OK. I actually had no idea what the word meant, though I assumed it wasn't a complement!

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 05:27

Regardless of the correct meaning of chode/choad, the board's usage history is overwhelmingly on the ode side: 16 ode posts, the first made by shofiel at 20/07/00 06:34 PM versus just three of oad, two of which were on this thread.

I will concede however that the oad meaning is clearly the intended.

Where is Bitt when you need him?

-Zeke
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 06:10

I suspected the meaning but remembered choad from the alt.tastless FAQ from years back. It's listed here. It also has the group "alt.choad" but all the posting there are offering cable descramblers and penis enlargement, which are totally irrelevant. Except that last one....

Gareth
Posted by: robricc

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 06:12

This is the definition that I meant. There are two on that site. Both are acceptable.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 06:54

Where is Bitt when you need him?
I've looked before and I couldn't find any etymology of ``chode''. This might be better taken up by Reinhold Aman.
Posted by: music

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 10:25

I've looked before and I couldn't find any etymology of ``chode''. This might be better taken up by Reinhold Aman.

Not buying my Anglo-Saxon derivation, are we?

Regardless of the correct meaning of chode/choad, the board's usage history is overwhelmingly on the ode side: 16 ode posts, the first made by shofiel at 20/07/00 06:34 PM versus just three of oad, two of which were on this thread.

Well, if you click the links, you'll see the early shofiel usage was actually for the word "psychodelic." All other usages are by robricc, or direct responses thereto.

P.S. robricc is chiding me by providing that link. I have been chode.

Posted by: tonyc

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 10:29

But what of CHUD?
Posted by: robricc

Re: Best Portable Player thread linked? - 05/08/2003 10:43

All other usages are by robricc...
Chode is a big part of my daily vocabulary. During my high shool years, I probably used that word in 1 out of 10 sentences. It's even engraved on the inside of my class ring (spelled "Chode").