SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection

Posted by: DBALKUNJR

SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection - 07/11/2003 20:29

I have a cable connection and lately, my speed has dropped considerably. I am by no means have the technical background to figure out where to start troubleshooting. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start. Cable compnay, computer manufacturer, router , modem, cable etc.?????? Could there be a virus on it? Any direction would be appreciated.
By the way I am running XP home on a P4 2.66Ghz. I have a INtel 850 chipset w onboard NIC.
Posted by: genixia

Re: SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection - 07/11/2003 20:42

First thing first. Do a speedcheck using www.dslreports.com
Posted by: tman

Re: SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection - 07/11/2003 20:49

Run a recent antivirus program. You might have something like Blaster. You can use the Stinger utility from Network Associates to scan for the worms.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection - 08/11/2003 05:37

I get this about twice a year with NTL. I have to phone and get them to sort it out. Usually its because over "over subscribed lines, sorry we can't do anything" and I say, "but I pay for a 1MB line, and I now have dial-up speed". "Oh, ok, we'll have to dig up the road, but we'll fix it". Yeah... i'm grateful.
Posted by: davec

Re: SLLLOOWWWNNEESSSS of broadband connection - 09/11/2003 03:44

"over subscribed lines, sorry we can't do anything"

My repsonse would be, "Why do you over subscribe lines in the first place? Surely you could do something about that. no?"