European Carry-all

Posted by: Dignan

European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 08:11

Yes, much like Jerry, I need something to tow my stuff.

Some of you may feel the same way I do. My girlfriend is able to carry around an obscene amount of stuff, while I'm trying to think of a place to put my phone, wallet, and keys.

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I can't stand having much at all in my pockets. I don't carry a single thing in my back pockets (I've never put my wallet there), and when I'm sitting down I always take my wallet and put it on a table or something. I just get incredibly uncomfortable. Hell, when I go to a restaurant with friends or something, they make fun of me because half of my side of the table is taken up by my keys, phone, wallet, watch, and whatever else is with me.

So what's the solution? I suppose its a "european carry-all," like on Seinfeld. Here we see the problem, though. Guys don't want purses. Well, straight ones usually don't

So does anyone have any suggestions? Basically, I want something big enough to fit my phone, its foldable keyboard, a camera, and maybe some other stuff. But it can't look like a purse. What would you guys suggest?

"Hey Silvio, look at Jerry here, prancing around in his coat with his purse. Yup, he's a dandy. He's a real fancy boy!"
Posted by: lectric

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 08:54

Hehe, you could alwsy tote around either a toolbox or violin case. Seriously, I have the same problem. My current solution si to basically hang everything off my belt. Sometimes I feel like batman.
Posted by: mlord

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 09:01

I don't know what they're properly called, but those small belt-like waist packs are really common around here (Canada). And when I was in Europe twice this year, I used my shoulder-hung camera bag as a general-purpose tote. When in Toronto, I frequently carry a canvas army shoulder bag.

Cheers
Posted by: robricc

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 09:02

small belt-like waist packs
fanny pack?

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 09:03

Well, most people seem to wear them in the front, not over the fanny. And they're much smaller than what we called fanny packs when I was a young'n.

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 09:23

I'd say a soft-sided leather attache with a shoulder strap that you could wear across your body. That way, it looks like you're carrying books and papers, but it might be too bulky for what you're looking for.
Posted by: cushman

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 09:58

When I'm going on a trip where I will need more than my phone, wallet and keys, I carry a small Timbuk2 messenger bag. I have the Pee Wee, but it looks like one of their new models is pretty cool too, the Metro. My bag is 6 years old and looks like it is brand new. It's very well built, I'd dare say bombproof. I found out about their products from a friend of mine who was a bike messenger in DC for a summer.

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:07

No no, that's about what I'm looking for. I should have also included that I'm not fond of "fanny packs" (that's what they're generally called in the US, regardless of where the main pocket rests).

I was thinking of getting something over-the-shoulder. Plus, the right type of leather can make it look sufficiently "manly" as to not turn it into a purse.
Posted by: andym

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:17

fanny pack?

Tee hee!

Fanny means something completely different on this side of the atlantic.

They're usually referred to as a bum bag over here. But seriously don't get one unless you like bri-nylon slacks, carry round a thermos of weak lemon drink and have glasses held together with elastoplast.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:23

Personally, I use a plain, black, two-straps-over-the-shoulders back pack. (Well, actually mine has all kinds of weird features like a separate internal pocket for your laptop, but anyway...). These days, there's plenty of variation in the world of the backpack. The new "hip" backpacks have only one thick strap, emulating the common usage of just slinging your bag over one shoulder. Likewise, I've seen lots of people using "courier bags" (commonly seen on bike messengers). A surprisingly common feature is having a cel-phone pocket attached to one of the shoulder straps. Of course, I work on a college campus where everybody's hauling books and such around. I also see perhaps more cargo pants than appear in the general population.
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:25

ok fellow MetroSexual wannabe. We like to call them "messenger bags" Here are a few from Yahoo! shopping. You can even get a nice fancy Prada bag if you want. Please just don't get a fanny pack!

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:35

Here is a funny little story about man-purse frustrations. In it he recommends the DJ Handbag from Target. Looks pretty good really.

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:38

Messenger!

All I could come up with was ``courier bag'' which apparently refers to something else.

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 10:39

ok, sorry for all the posts, but look at

Manbag.com
Posted by: trs24

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 11:06

The Timbuk2 messenger bags are pretty cool, too. I use one to carry my powerbook around in. Back when I got my powerbook, there weren't many laptop cases that would fit it - so I had to go with a messenger bag. I've never gone back.

EDIT: Ah - I didn't see that Cushman recommended the Timbuk2, too. So make mine a second for Timbuk2.

- trs
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 11:17

I'll third a Timbuk2 if they do one the right size. I have had one for several years and, as you would imagine, it was excellent for taking crap to university on my bike. Five or so years later I am still taking it to work every day and all the pockets are very useful.

I have carried god knows what in mine in *all* weathers and it refuses to break. The only thing that has gone is the velcro strips on the flap but I think I can glue some new stuff on considering the rubbery nature of the lining (which is another good thing - it's *very* easy to clean out squashed melted chocolate)

Edit: Bum-bags/fanny packs (tee hee) are useful but deeply unfashionable and would probably make you an instant mugging target in London due to the loser/tourist image.

Gareth
Posted by: andy

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 11:45

http://www.crumplerusa.com/ have a similar range

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 12:38

Thanks, everyone.

For the moment, the Manbag looks pretty good. I may try to find something a little nicer (possibly leather, like Bitt originally suggested).

The Timbuk2 bags, as well as the CrumplerUSA bags are all pretty bad colors, unless I were a bike messenger.

I like how that DJ Handbag has teenage girls posting about it xxaznprincessxx said "I just got the DJ BAG! It is so cute!", and another said "its a great little bag, perfect for all your makeup or school supplies, or whatever." Definitely a guy thing The writer notes that it was probably designed for women, though. It looks like a nice thing to start with, though, because at $9.99 it's hard to argue with.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 12:59

Ah the joys of carrying a laptop to work every day (which means I can use the bag for everything I need). Add this to the fact that I don't carry a cell phone or PDA and I do OK. The only thing I have to deal with is carrying my empeg, but that's worth it!
Posted by: _hardcore_

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 13:26

Try a simpler solution, stop carrying all that with you. Limit what you're carrying to a small mobilephone, 1 & 2 keys and a single creditcard. Fits allmost anywhere.

I have like you allways disliked carrying anything in my pockets, especially in the back pockets, i can't stand some of those guys that has this extremely large wallet in the back pockets, i suspect that the opposite sex thinks it looks goofy.

.. or start wearing suits, there is plenty of room for the above mentioned - fits in the pockets of the jacket without anyone being able to see it.

And if you really need to carry extra stuff with you, the right solution is starring right in your face now. Buy an extra empeg bag and stuff your gear in that.

\\Kaare

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 13:53

I don't like having anything in my back pocket, either. I carry my credit cards, driver's license and cash in a binder clip (like you would find in any office) instead of a money clip. This keeps the size down to a minimum, if you fold your bills in thirds. Go light!

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 14:50

Limit what you're carrying to a small mobilephone, 1 & 2 keys and a single creditcard. Fits allmost anywhere.
Easier said than done. As it is, I don't think I'm going to get rid of my P800 anytime soon, and the whole point of that was to eliminate the need for me to get a PDA. My keys are actually not a problem, as I enjoy carrying them on a carabiner that hangs from a belt loop. I can put any number of things on there and it won't bother me.

As for carrying a single credit card, I wouldn't feel very secure. I just know I'd always be checking my pocket to make sure it hadn't slipped out when I sat down somewhere.

Nah, I'm someone who likes having his stuff with him. Especially his gadgets

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 19:34

The Timbuk2 bags, as well as the CrumplerUSA bags are all pretty bad colors, unless I were a bike messenger.

Er, the Crumpler link has lots of colours and Timbuk2 are all custom made to your choice (eg. blue/silver/blue looks great). I bought mine from the only place in the UK that sold them at the time and only had a choice of two (something awful and "plum").

Gareth

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 21:50

Ah, I see. I didn't know the colors were customizeable. I'd recommend to that company that they make that better known on their front page, because the initial colors you see on their homepage are very off-putting.

Regardless, I'm not really into that style, so I'll pass on that brand.

At the moment, I'm waiting for info from the people at Manbag.com as to whether or not they know if my P800 will fit allright into the cell phone pocket of the Manbag Original. That's looking like a winner at the moment. I'd prefer leather, but I think it's sufficiently non-womanly for me to carry around

*edit*
Oops, it looks like the company is actually called "Man-n-bag". I think I prefered my name for them

Re: European Carry-all - 16/12/2003 23:55

I don't know, man. That bag looks an awful lot like the purse my girlfriend carries around.

- trs
Posted by: boxer

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 04:25

Out of all these suggestions, isn't there one that would be suitable as an Empeg replacement? - something I'm trying to organise on another thread - but to get something high quality in small numbers, seems to be a problem.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:17

I don't know, dude, there's just something about that name I don't care for. Especially when (almost all of) the models have their logo "Man Bag" on the outside. Calling it a "man bag" could sound funny:

"Dammit! The dog is chewing on my man bag!"

"Whoops, I just dropped a bowling ball on my man bag."

"Honey, can you hand me my man bag? I want to go out with the guys tonight."

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:29

!!!!

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:34

Dude, anything I get that's been suggested in this thread will fit that post correctly. Or I could go with one of the messenger bags that have been mentioned, and people will mistake me for a city bike messenger

This why the whole damn subject is difficult!

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:46

Granted, this will make you look like a bike messenger (is that so bad anyway?)

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:48

But all black isn't that bad, kinda sporty even.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:53

There's other reasons I'm not fond of those bags. I don't want something too flexible and bag-like. I also just don't want something as big as that. They seem pretty big to me.

*edit*
Actually, the Timbuk2 are more than twice as big as the Man-n-bag. 384 cubic inches vs 152.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 08:58

They do a couple of smaller ones which should be pretty rigid

http://www.timbuk2.com/products/companionbags.html

But they large ones are quite floppy and anything in the main compartment has zero protection from crushing. Stuff in the front inner and outer pockets is unlikely to get bumped around a lot.

Personally I try and avoid anything small with a carry handle because of the serious risk of being given a nickname after this chap:

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 09:00

Oh sweet Jesus...

Yeah, that's a definite risk. So far I don't think anyone has suggested anything in this thread that has a carrying handle. All over the shoulder

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 10:48

Hey, I like the Go Postal II from Kenneth Cole:

It's pretty stylish, and still manly(ish). And it's leather.

- trs
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 11:31

And it would look great on my wife!

Seriously, I think the chances of finding a manly purse are about as good as balancing five uncooked eggs atop one another, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Zeke

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 11:40

Maybe you should just do what Patrick does and wear a fishing vest all the time. I witnessed him pull all kinds of crap out of that thing.

Posted by: tfabris

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 11:44

If it were really detachable, don't you'd think she'd rather take it from you before you go out?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 11:47

don't you'd think she'd rather take it from you before you go out?
Don't most wives do that, albeit metaphorically?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 12:45

Which brings to mind http://www.scottevest.com/.
Posted by: bootsy

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 15:17

My personal "Man-Bag" is a messenger style black and silver bag with a large PS2 logo on the side. I use it to shuttle my gadgets and empeg to and from work... I know you want something smaller, but the messenger style has room for my sketch pads and the empeg and all the other weird little things I don't want in my pockets.

Plus the PS2 logo diverts any girlie comments into the dork arena... Wave your Geek-Flag!

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 16:16

True, I have no problems being a dork. I don't think the girlfriend would argue either. She's already embarassed by my dorkiness, so it would be nice to try not to attract the metrosexual vibe.
Posted by: pca

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 20:10

I object! It's not all crap!

All I generally have with me is:

LED flashlight with headband
Keyring with about 30 keys, and tritium glowstick
Wallet, containing credit cards, debit cards, both driving licenses, magnetic sensor card, IR sensor card, many old cards I don't use any more, stamps, business cards, and occasionally money
Inhaler just in case
Aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamines (I get hayfever)
Camping set of salt and pepper
Several sets of disposable latex surgical gloves
Small multimeter
Bluetooth headset
Phone
Coins
Cheque book
Sometimes business cheque book
Toolkit containing gas soldering iron, solder, screwdrivers, small adjustable spanners, two tweezers, cable ties, wire cutters, wire, spare battery for the meter, heatshrink tubing, flux pen, self-adhesive velcro, rubber bands, scalpel, etc
Some strong paper towel
Lighter

That's not much, is it? It still leaves several pockets empty for job or situation specific items such as PDA, various cables, water purifier solution, glowsticks, batteries, memory cards, lenses, binoculars, sunglasses, camera, and so on.

My trouser pockets are usually empty though. I don't like weighing myself down

pca

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 20:23

I meant crap as in a lot of stuff. Not crap as in garbage. I think your vest is pretty awesome.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 20:26

Just make sure you stay away from deep water, unless you're stashing a life preserver in there somewhere.

Kidding aside, at least when someone asks you: "Who are you?" you won't answer: "I'm Batman!".

Re: European Carry-all - 17/12/2003 20:35

Kidding aside, at least when someone asks you: "Who are you?" you won't answer: "I'm Batman!".

No, I can say, "I'm an engineer. Run."

It can be quite amusing at security check areas such as in airports. It gives them something to do, I guess, aside from being intrusive and impolite. My laptop bag gives them fits as well, it shows up as almost unintelligible noise under the Xray machine.

pca

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 13:07

My backpack is giving up the ghost, so I decided to dig up this old thread and I ended up buying myself a Timbuk2 "classic messenger" bag in all black so it doesn't stand out too much in more formal situations. I was torn between the messenger bag and the "commuter" bag, with laptop padding, but I decided I was more interested in having 1400 sq. ft. of internal space than the 1000 sq. ft. of the commuter bag (or 1200 sq. ft. for the commuter XL).

Now, as it turns out, my main travel bag is also failing on me and needs to be replaced. Does anybody here have advice on airport carry-on bags? I looked around several stores yesterday, and everybody's now including roller wheels and handles, which I'm not convinced I'll ever really want. (Even though I tend not to get too far off-road, I much prefer slinging something over my shoulder.) I suppose I could just get a largish backpack, which might jive well with the messenger bag, although I can imagine nightmarish scenarios with straps going every which way. The main criterion is that whatever I get absolutely must be carry-on luggage. While there appears to be no "standard" on this in the U.S., 22 inches long is sufficiently common that it's the defacto standard for the luggage industry.

Thoughts?
Posted by: andym

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 13:12

Quote:
I decided I was more interested in having 1400 sq. ft. of internal space than the 1000 sq. ft. of the commuter bag (or 1200 sq. ft. for the commuter XL).

1400 Square feet? That sounds like the dimensions for a warehouse.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 14:03

Oops! Replace "square feet" with "cubic inches" and you've got the actual dimensions.

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 15:57

Quote:

I decided I was more interested in having 1400 sq. ft. of internal space than the 1000 sq. ft. of the commuter bag (or 1200 sq. ft. for the commuter XL).

1400 Square feet? That sounds like the dimensions for a warehouse.

Ah yes. The new Pocket Continuum (tm) feature, fitted as standard to all high quality luggage. Fit everything you own including your house into one small backpack

pca
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 18:32

Hello? Portable hole, anyone?

No... I swear... that's an ET reference, not an "I'm a D&D geek" reference.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 20:00

Um, actually as a D&D geek, I recognized it as a D&D reference...

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 21:06

For some reason, I had the exact same thought. Even the ET thing, despite being a D&D geek.
Posted by: music

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 21:14

Quote:
Portable hole

For the true D&D Geek, wouldn't it be a "bag of holding" ?

Re: European Carry-all - 17/10/2004 21:22

The portable hole was first, I think. It certainly existed in 1st Edition AD&D. I don't have my DM's Guide handy, though.

Re: European Carry-all - 18/10/2004 00:37

I think I should mention that I found a bag a bit of time after this thread died. I can't quite remember when but I know this thread wasn't active anymore.

My girlfriend even kinda picked it out. We were at some store that sells primarily planner stuff, and they had a sale on laptop bags and stuff. There was one that pretty much fit the bill. I'll have to take a pic of it sometime. Most importantly it got the girlfriend approval.

Re: European Carry-all - 18/10/2004 09:14

I also think the portable hole was bigger / more storage. Still... Rule #1: Do not open a portable hole inside another extradminsional space if you ever want to survive.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: European Carry-all - 19/10/2004 02:42

Portable holes are 6' diameter by 10' deep, and have no weight limit (for contents). The largest bag of holding, in comparison, is 250 cubic feet, with a content weight limit of 1500 lbs (and no sharp objects).

Not that I'd be the sort to have an (AD&D, 1st. ed.) DM guide handy for reference.

grammar edit
Posted by: music

Re: European Carry-all - 19/10/2004 03:31

Quote:
Not that I'd be the sort to have an (AD&D, 1st. ed.) DM guide handy for reference.

No, no, of course not. Wouldn't want to imply that.

My thinking was more along the lines that people were looking for a carry bag.

But you raise the good point that some people here cart around a lot more stuff than I. For example, I'm sure that Patrick could make good use of a portable hole. The Bag of Holding would be just for those of us who "travel light," as it were.

And either one of them is absolute hell in an airport X-ray machine....

Re: European Carry-all - 19/10/2004 08:43

And either one of them is absolute hell in an airport X-ray machine....

<cleaning coffee from my monitor>

Okay. Taking this one step further into the surrealistic off topic area, what about the origin of the portable hole. I have seen it used in a few other places over time:

a) Bugs Bunny / Road Runner cartoons where "Liquid Hole" is used to create assorted mayhem...
b) The Beatles - Yellow Submarine and the Sea of Holes...

Any others?
Posted by: davekirk

Re: European Carry-all - 19/10/2004 23:54

Doesn't the reference come in because the kids were playing D&D in the movie E.T.?

Re: European Carry-all - 20/10/2004 00:35

Yeah, with a line something like "I hope you fall in your portable hole."
Posted by: CommOri

Re: European Carry-all - 20/10/2004 01:49

Quote:
Granted, this will make you look like a bike messenger (is that so bad anyway?)

Yes...yes it is.
Posted by: CommOri

Re: European Carry-all - 20/10/2004 01:52

Quote:
It's pretty stylish, and still manly(ish).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Re: European Carry-all - 20/10/2004 11:12

Portable holes are from Bugs Bunny and The RoadRunner cartoon shows. (A)D&D may have them too (alas, I've forgotten much), but let's keep it original, eh!