Home Cinema anyone?

Posted by: furtive

Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 09:29

http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/complete/

Posted by: DWallach

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 09:40

Does this guy live in Las Vegas or what? Wow. I'd love to have all that tech, but I don't know about the interior design.
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 09:45

I'm with you. It's a sweet setup, but I would have taken the interior design in a different direction.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 09:51

Well, I agree, but I understand what he's doing. He made it look like an opulent theater from early in the movie era. But he did go overboard. At least it's not egg-crate walls.
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 10:07

Oh, I completely understand (and admire) what he was striving for. Here in Richmond, we have a golden-era theater called The Byrd. It has been well-maintained and is quite a joy to attend on occasion.

Upon closer inspection of his image gallery of the design and creation process, I have to admire his dedication to detail. I can't image how much that theater costs, but I would venture that it estimates more than my house is worth. The guy even had 300 fiber-optic stars hand threaded into the dome. Amazing!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 10:09

Wow. That must have cost a small fortune. Plaster columns cast into latex moulds moulded from custom hand-carved wax models. Not to mention the rather large fibre-glass dome ceiling with fibre-optic lighting. No expense spared there!
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 10:20

Pah, looks like he painted the gold on! I would have gone for proper gilding myself. If I could afford it. And a Wurlitzer theatre organ, but you would need a special extension for that.

Gareth
Posted by: burdell1

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 10:22

it doesn't really resemble the theaters from the Golden Age of movie theaters...it looks more like what Liberace's Home Theater would look like....
Posted by: trs24

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 11:41

Wow - Fiber-optic stars in the dome ceiling - nice touch! Agree with everyone here, though - way too gaudy. I like the fact that after all of that ornate work, though, he uses IKEA media storage cabinets.

- trs
Posted by: Daria

Re: Home Cinema anyone? - 24/02/2004 12:30

Seattle, apparently.