Paper DVDs ???

Posted by: Skunk

Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 08:44

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639585.stm
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 09:24

The paper discs are also expected to be cheaper to produce than current DVDs.

Does that mean DVD movies will be cheaper off the shelves? Doubtably.
Posted by: Skunk

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 09:40

Does that mean DVD movies will be cheaper off the shelves? Doubtably.

Yeah but I think it means they will now use more plastic in the packaging.
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 14:02

Woah... Be careful and make sure the disc stops spinning before taking it out of the drive.. Talk about a papercut!

Me.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 16:09

This will make it so much easier to copy movies, just pop down to your local Kinko's.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 21/04/2004 19:41

Don't like it, not for one bit. The read surface is bare to the world. I'll grant that the read surface of current cd's is just under a single layer of paint, but that is a lot more protection than these things have.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 22/04/2004 07:38

I'm betting these things aren't very water-resistant. (or any other fluid for that matter)
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 22/04/2004 10:30

If you read more closely, it says that the disc is "51% paper". They don't say what the rest of the disc is made out of. Based on the photo of somebody holding the discs, I assume it's plastic, since they appear to be rigid. It could be something as lame as replacing the current top-layer of CDs (varnish and paint) with paper and glue, for all the article has to say.

Maybe it's plastic on top, with paper "printed" below with the high-density bits as ink, toner, or heaven only knows what else. Clearly, such a system would be more vulnerable to scratching and whatnot.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Paper DVDs ??? - 22/04/2004 11:06

Well, it does imply that the data layer is paper, as it says that the Blu-Ray spec doesn't require the laser to travel through a substrate.