Speed Lives!

Posted by: Dignan

Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 02:46

Not sure how many of you have seen this or heard of this guy, but you've got to see these videos for:

a) the hair
b) the guitars
and finally
c) the speed!

Anyway, here's Video 1, and here's Video 2. You'll probably need to download them instead of stream.

ps-if you want more, and more hilarity, open up Kazaa or similar and find the video "Michael Angelo - Nitro Concert Clip.mpg" It won't disappoint. I promise.
Posted by: BAKup

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 03:40

Woah...That's fast...I wish I could play like that.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 17:05

Very impressive player. And the pieces are kind of decent, too.

The sweep-picking stuff he's doing in the middle bit of the second piece is quite impressive. That's something I never learned how to do. Yngvie does that, too, it sounds like baroque on a cocaine overdose.

The only thing that made me roll my eyes (well, other than the hair, the leather, and the showy guitars) was the flashy thing he does with the hand going back and forth really fast above and below the neck. There's nothing particularly musical about what he was doing there, he's mostly droning an open B or E string with a lot of flanger (or perhaps auto-wah, couldn't tell) and occasionally fretting a note. So that's more of a flashy stunt that can only work at a certain noisy/non-musical point in songs in a limited number of keys. From a musical standpoint, that sort of trick gets real old real fast.

But overall, he plays very fast, very clean, and very tasteful.
Posted by: trs24

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 17:17

For a second, I thought that was Limozeen before they all went blonde.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 18:55

I thought it was Nigel Tufnell
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 19:01

Heh, as much as I respect the Tap gang as musicians (even as they make fun of musicians), Chris Guest only dreams he could play like that.

"But these go up to 11..."
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 20:04

Hair? Check. Tatoos? Check. Drum machine? Check.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 20:16

<checks calender>

Yep, just as I suspected, it is still 2004. And here I was thinking that the Delorean in BTTF was a prop.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Speed Lives! - 21/07/2004 21:51

Hehehe... I didn't mean he played like Tufnell, he just looked uncannily like him... although he was missing the "anatomically correct" t-shirt

Edit: I should clarify... I only thought he looked like Nige in the Video2 link
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Speed Lives! - 22/07/2004 04:38

Quote:
I only thought he looked like Nige in the Video2 link

Really? If anything, he looks more like him in the first video. In the second video he looks more like Dark Helmet.
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: Speed Lives! - 24/07/2004 17:07

Quote:
Very impressive player. And the pieces are kind of decent, too.

The sweep-picking stuff he's doing in the middle bit of the second piece is quite impressive. That's something I never learned how to do. Yngvie does that, too, it sounds like baroque on a cocaine overdose.

The only thing that made me roll my eyes (well, other than the hair, the leather, and the showy guitars) was the flashy thing he does with the hand going back and forth really fast above and below the neck. There's nothing particularly musical about what he was doing there, he's mostly droning an open B or E string with a lot of flanger (or perhaps auto-wah, couldn't tell) and occasionally fretting a note. So that's more of a flashy stunt that can only work at a certain noisy/non-musical point in songs in a limited number of keys. From a musical standpoint, that sort of trick gets real old real fast.

But overall, he plays very fast, very clean, and very tasteful.

I think that part was sped up. If you look at his head movements they seem to be a bit too jerky to be natural, but other than that part I was impressed.
Posted by: peter

Re: Speed Lives! - 24/07/2004 17:22

Quote:
If you look at his head movements they seem to be a bit too jerky to be natural, but other than that part I was impressed.

I thought that about the brown-haired guy in Franz Ferdinand throughout their entire set, but I was watching them live

Peter