MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business

Posted by: wfaulk

MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 17:06

While it was settled out of court, so at least there wasn't an ultimate ruling, the publishers of DVD X Copy were forced out of business by the MPAA for producing backup software. While I'll not argue that a lot of people undoubtedly used it for nefarious purposes, it had legitimate uses, which seems to have been the thought behind the Betamax ruling. Of course, you had the power of Sony behind that case and a small company against the entire movie industry in this one.

I think this does not bode well for legitimate uses of such technology. When will they tell us that it's illegal to extract audio from our CDs?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 18:28

I hate it when stuff like this gets settled out of court, because that means it's not really "settled" (in terms of legal precedent) for the rest of us.

That's why I'm hoping the JibJab guys have the ability to ride their thing all the way to a ruling. Us parodists need more/better court precedent for protection in these situations.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 18:32

"We parodists".
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 18:37

'wee parodists'
Posted by: mlord

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 23:11

He may really have meant US(A) parodists, I suppose.

Cheers
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 10/08/2004 23:48

lol, where's your 'gammer police' title gone?
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 16/08/2004 13:53

Long live DVD Shrink then, I guess.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: MPAA drives DVD X Copy publisher out of business - 16/08/2004 14:14

Quote:
While it was settled out of court, so at least there wasn't an ultimate ruling, the publishers of DVD X Copy were forced out of business by the MPAA for producing backup software. While I'll not argue that a lot of people undoubtedly used it for nefarious purposes, it had legitimate uses, which seems to have been the thought behind the Betamax ruling. Of course, you had the power of Sony behind that case and a small company against the entire movie industry in this one.

That's too bad one of my co-workers actually knows the founder of the company which is located in St. Louis. Despite the uses of the product they were a company that were innovative, and truly homegrown. Nice to know the MPAA is wiped out small and local businneses and putting people out of work.