Weblog S/w

Posted by: schofiel

Weblog S/w - 02/09/2004 19:41

OK, could do with some opinions on the best way and best software to build and run a public Weblog so that I can communicate with my sons on a one-way basis (since the Poison Dwarf is preventing them communicating with me). The idea is to run a daily diary of thoughts on a web page for them to read when they can sneak in a quick browse (they are not allowed to use email or browse either, I hear ). At least I can try to keep the lines of communication open one way.

Let me know, any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as it is not a joke to be cut off from your kids....
Posted by: ricin

Re: Weblog S/w - 02/09/2004 19:50

Sorry to hear about that.

You could use one of the journal/blog sites, such as LiveJournal. It's easy enough to use, and you can change the viewing permissions for each post.

You could also run your own blog/cms/journal type software. There are a lot of different ones to choose from. Some have been mentioned in this thread.

Good luck!
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Weblog S/w - 02/09/2004 19:52

I was about to recommend LiveJournal too. I mean, if the Mars rovers can use it...
Posted by: Taym

Re: Weblog S/w - 02/09/2004 23:08

Why not a forum software? In case they get a chance, they may send you a reply. If they don't, they'll read it as they would with a blog.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Weblog S/w - 02/09/2004 23:29

I was thinking that too, but taking it a little further. Get them to sign up to a forum that is related to one of their legitimate interests. Then you sign up too and communicate via PMs. Their mother need never know...
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Weblog S/w - 03/09/2004 14:26

mwest on the board here has one at blogs.com that seems to be pretty good. I've only read it though, not used it for posting.