A New Record!

Posted by: music

A New Record! - 17/09/2004 17:39

A new record! At least in my personal recollection.

On September 14th I walked by a large department store near Union Square, San Francisco.

They have a giant Santa Claus, Christmas Tree, and all the ornaments and regalia all lit up.

Only 101 shopping days till Christmas! I guess I'd better get started.
Spend, spend, spend.

Gee, I thought it was only common courtesy to wait for the last day of summer (which is next week) before the Christmas gear comes out. I mean, really, we're still 6 weeks from Halloween here, people!
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: A New Record! - 17/09/2004 17:52

Those elves are greedy little bastards. I'm going to kick the next one I see.

-Zeke
Posted by: Laura

Re: A New Record! - 17/09/2004 21:00

You must not have walked by any Hallmark Cards stores lately. They have had Christmas stuff up for months. Get with the program
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: A New Record! - 17/09/2004 23:17

They've already opened up one of those season-only Christmas stores at one of the local malls. It's been open a week or so already. And they had to hire people, find a place to rent, etc. More than just putting up last year's decorations.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: A New Record! - 18/09/2004 04:15

I believe the local Hechts had ornaments for sale on July 5th
Posted by: music

Re: A New Record! - 19/09/2004 04:25

Quote:
I believe the local Hechts had ornaments for sale on July 5th

[keanu] Whoa! [/keanu]
I guess by that logic, I should hurry up and start selling stuff for Spring Break about right now. I've got some sunscreen, sunglasses, beer, and "Female Body Inspector" T-shirts if anybody wants to buy them. Anyone? Anyone?
Posted by: larry818

Re: A New Record! - 20/09/2004 03:45

Here in So. California, those evil marketing folk at Toyota treated us to a month long Christmas campaign in July.

I'll never buy a Toyota, and this is a big part of the reason why.

I've read in a car magazine once that if you take Toyota's yearly advertising budget in the US and divide it by the number of cars they sold, it comes to a whopping $5,000.00 per car! They played those Christmas in July ads a lot. This must have been more than 10 years ago and I still get sick thinking of it.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: A New Record! - 20/09/2004 05:21

Here in Minnesota Audio King (now ultimate electronics)has a yearly Christmas in July sale.
Posted by: larry818

Re: A New Record! - 20/09/2004 22:33

Euuu... At least Toyota did it to us only once.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: A New Record! - 20/09/2004 23:56

Homestar Runner had a Decemberween in July. It wasn't HALF as icky as a typical retail sale (but some may say it's just as desperate).
Posted by: davec

Re: A New Record! - 21/09/2004 13:43

I never took down my tree from last year (a 24 inch tabletop tree) or the "Ho ho ho!" decorations....
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: A New Record! - 23/09/2004 16:05

as long as the lights and the deer/sled outside your house were down I think you are safe!
Posted by: trs24

Re: A New Record! - 23/09/2004 19:22

Why is it always "Christmas in July?" I never hear of "Christman in June" Sales. And that would make a lot more sense since June is really the opposite month of December. Weird.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: A New Record! - 23/09/2004 19:39

For those in the US, you need space for the Fourth of July sales and "summer clearance"...