Moving on..

Posted by: rob

Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:02

Hi folks

After six years with the cool team in Cambridge, tomorrow is my last day with Rio. I am moving on to work in professional audio, where the products have more knobs, the launch parties are more debauched and the salaries are astronomical (well, two out of three ain't bad).

Leaving empeg isn't easy (I'll have to check which counseller rehabilitated Roger) but with my trusty car player by my side it will be a whole new experience to join the ranks of the empeg outsiders. Now I too well be able to moan loudly until those lazy gits release the next v3 alpha.

Rob
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:05

Congratulations on the new gig! I hope everything goes well for you. I assume you will still be around the board, even if not in any official DNNA/SonicBlue/Rio/Empeg capactity. All the best, of course.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:11

Good luck at your new job Rob. Don't be a stranger.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:14

Does this mean the purple suit and tophat are being retired and put up in the empeg trophy case?

You're a good man, Rob Voisey. Best of luck!

-Zeke
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:24

We're losing all our advocates on the inside!

Best of luck Rob!
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 17:50

You've been the face of empeg for me for so long it'll be odd not having you there, offering help and rumors.

Best of luck!

-jk
Posted by: loren

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 18:13

Gah! I hate change. heh. Good luck Rob... I'm sure you'll stay around here but be sure and keep us posted on what you're doing. Sounds like it'll be interesting stuff.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 18:52

Wow! Congrats on the new job, pro audio isn't a bad place to go! I pray that you'll still hang out here - it wouldn't be the same without you!
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 18:52

Quote:
You've been the face of empeg for me for so long it'll be odd not having you there

Same here. Best of luck, Rob!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 19:11

You can't leave - we didn't persuade you to give us the source code to the player yet!

Good luck in the Pro Audio business. Still with D&M?
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 19:40

Quote:
Still with D&M?

Yeah, yeah, gory details! I want to hear about all the debauchery stuff!
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 19:48

Sniff, sniff.

When is the going away party? And where do we send the beer & curry funds to?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 19:53

Oh sh*t! D*mn! [censored]!

You are missed already, Rob!

Cheers
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 20:34

Oh, wow. Congrats on the new gig. So long, and thanks for all the fish...

-Mike
Posted by: mschrag

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 20:55

Congratulations Rob -- Keep in touch with all of us little people ...
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 21:06

Best wishes in your future endeavours, Rob... Though I trust that dealing with the rabid empeg community has prepared you for just about anything you might encounter.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 21:09

Good luck on your new job. You'll be sorely missed in the community, I hope they've found someone half as competent to replace you.

The yearly bay area meets won't be the same without you.

Matthew
Posted by: Laura

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 21:42

Take care Rob and good luck to you.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Moving on.. - 23/09/2004 23:44

Good luck out there Rob. We all appreciate everything that you've done over the years. And listen, I still owe you one big time, so don't loose touch. Talk to you again soon!
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 01:00

A sad day. It's hard to think of empeg without you, but good luck- I hope the new job is even more fulfilling than the last!
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 02:48

Wow, Congrats Rob.. Good luck on the new job..
Sad to see you go.
Posted by: adavidw

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 04:09

I'm at a loss for words, other than to say...

Whoa.

Fare thee well, Rob.
Posted by: Mach

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 05:15

Congrats and best of luck Rob. Thanks for all the help with the lenses and side projects. Keep in touch!

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 06:42

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll let you know where I've gone when I start there in a few weeks, but be assured it isn't D&M. I will *of course* still be on the BBS (perhaps with time to actually post now!) and I'll make it to as many meets as I can. I'll have to talk to Roger about starting an empeg old boys association.

Rob
Posted by: Laura

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 08:30

Quote:
and I'll make it to as many meets as I can

Does that mean you might make it to the Cincinnati meet next year?
Posted by: tahir

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 14:11

Rob

I don't know you, but I've followed empeg from the start (there was once a link on ARM's website to empeg's) I'd always followed the discussion both here and the receiver site and been amazed by the commitment of all the empeg guys (and tfabris) to the product and community. I'm glad to say I did eventually buy an empeg based product (Karma) and have never regretted it. Good luck in your future endeavours and may you carry the empeg attitude with you always.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 15:08

Rob, I do want to thank you for your help over the past 6 years now. Your dedication to empeg and the information you released here were one of the reasons I decided to trust an unknown UK company with thousands of my dollars. Had you not done what you did, I believe the empeg team would have been even more of an unknown dot on the radar, and not been picked up by Rio.

I'm also glad I have had the chance to meet you in person once, though oddly that came over on this side of the pond instead of at the Euro meet.

Good luck with the new job.
Posted by: DLF

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 15:42

The reason I joined the BBS originally was for the Karma-related info you were willing and able to provide, so I'm really going to miss that. On the other hand, that's what turned me on to the whole community, and for that I can never thank you enough anyway. Good luck in any and all of your new endeavours....
Posted by: andym

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 16:54

Hope everything goes well in your new job, I hope it's just as fulfilling as empeg. Does this mean we'll start seeing linux powered amplifiers on the market soon?
Posted by: oliver

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 17:28

Congratulations on the new job. I guess if Hugo is the next one to give his 2 weeks notice, we'll be in a lot of trouble. Long live the Empeg Team!

Anyways, I’m hoping the pro car audio company you’re going to work for will take a liking to the empeg, and maybe even produce just the hardware for an empeg mk3 allowing the empeg guys to create the software.
Now that would be a killer twist
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 19:30

Happy trails!

Who, if anyone, will be taking over your position?

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 21:25

Quote:
I’m hoping the pro car audio company you’re going to work for will take a liking to the empeg, and maybe even produce just the hardware for an empeg mk3

Who was it recently with empeg ties that said "Well, Rio/DNNA are highly unlikely to do one, but.... "
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 21:33

I don't believe Mr. Voisey said "pro car audio". Someone made that assumption along the line. "Pro audio" can have a few meanings.

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 21:48

True, true. Live sound and recording studio equipment come to mind.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 22:11

Agreed. Especially with debauchery at launch parties...
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 22:52

Wow! Rob, you better not be a stranger! Congrats on the new gig!

- Jon
Posted by: mschrag

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 23:08

Maybe he's the new front man for a metal band? That would definitely explain the debauchery ... Perhaps Winger is going to do a tour of Japan? Or he's the new guitarist for David Hasselhoff on a hot new German tour? Just a guess ... I could be wrong
Posted by: tman

Re: Moving on.. - 24/09/2004 23:10

Speaking about David Hasselhoff, he was singing in the West End production of Chicago a while ago. Not sure if he's still there...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Moving on.. - 25/09/2004 01:55

This just goes to prove my theory: Germans love David Hasslehoff.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Moving on.. - 25/09/2004 04:05

Congrats and good luck. So there's like two of the original empeg people left now ?

Maybe he is going to be a roadie for winger
Posted by: boxer

Re: Moving on.. - 25/09/2004 04:34

Quote:
empeg old boys

Oi...I'm the only Empeg old boy!
Can I design the tie and blazer badge!
All the best in the new job, if you tackle their business with the enthusiasm that you've tackled Empeg/Rio's: They're cooking on gas!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Moving on.. - 25/09/2004 16:04

Quote:
Oi...I'm the only Empeg old boy!

No, we've got two. You and Doug "tanstaafl." Burnside.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Moving on.. - 25/09/2004 18:23

Well, I don't know about an "Old Boys" association: what about calling it "Empeg Outside"?
Posted by: peter

Re: Moving on.. - 26/09/2004 20:26

Quote:
Congrats and good luck. So there's like two of the original empeg people left now ?

Hugo's original. Mike is a little bit less original. John is less original still. Toby was an original (and orogenic) bit on the side, though wasn't full-time until rather later. I'm not very original at all, but still original enough to have worked for the real Empeg and not Sonicblue.

Peter

Re: Moving on.. - 27/09/2004 06:02

Quote:
Happy trails!

Who, if anyone, will be taking over your position?

Michael Grange is taking over as manager at Cambridge - he joined the team a few months ago.

Rob
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Moving on.. - 27/09/2004 08:32

Hey ! I go off for a holiday for a week and something like this happens! I sure hope this won't get to be a regular thing with my holidays, or I' swear I'll never go on holiday again !!

Seriously, though I'm a bit sad to see you go (after all, it was you who made me buy my first Empeg), I do realise things can't remain the same for ever.

Best of luck to you Rob, and congrats on the new job !!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Moving on.. - 27/09/2004 09:59

Is that your first post as an outsider? Welcome!
Posted by: Half_Geek

Re: Moving on.. - 28/09/2004 09:48

Shame to hear that! Good luck in wherever you are going.

Thanks for all the help on various things in the past. Always appreciated.

Nick

Re: Moving on.. - 28/09/2004 11:52

Quote:
You and Doug "tanstaafl." Burnside

I had this out in PM's with Doug some time back and concluded that I was about half a zimmer frame nearer the tape!

Re: Moving on.. - 28/09/2004 11:54

Quote:
Well, I don't know about an "Old Boys" association: what about calling it "Empeg Outside"?

Or "Empeg Outsize" in my case.

Re: Moving on.. - 29/09/2004 02:17

Quote:
Michael Grange is taking over as manager at Cambridge - he joined the team a few months ago.

Just how depraved is this Michael? I mean....CAN HE DO THE JOB????

Umm, Rob, seriously, all of my jokes about debauchery aside...I can remember some times years ago when many BBS denizens new and old asked zillions of challenging questions ("How come Empegs aren't free?.... like beer?" comes to mind) and you responded with patience, thoughtful deliberation, class, and just enough of the rapier to make some of us go "Good shot, Rob! I do believe you have killed him!".

Anyhow, I am not quite sure how this Michael chap can be expected to take your place.

Sniff.
Posted by: peter

Re: Moving on.. - 29/09/2004 11:40

Quote:
Umm, Rob, seriously, all of my jokes about debauchery aside...I can remember some times years ago when many BBS denizens new and old asked zillions of challenging questions ("How come Empegs aren't free?.... like beer?" comes to mind) and you responded with patience, thoughtful deliberation, class, and just enough of the rapier to make some of us go "Good shot, Rob! I do believe you have killed him!".

Anyhow, I am not quite sure how this Michael chap can be expected to take your place.

Michael's a software manager. Although of course he'd be very welcome here, I can't see him spending a lot of time hanging out on forums for a product EOL'd three years ago: he's got other fish to fry. Hopefully Rio is big enough these days that we don't actually need our software manager to also be QA, beta co-ordination, customer liaison, and all the other huge number of things Rob did back in the Empeg days.

Peter

Re: Moving on.. - 29/10/2004 21:28

Quote:
Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll let you know where I've gone when I start there in a few weeks, but be assured it isn't D&M.

The garden leave is over, and Monday I start my new role as Leader of Engineering for the new Akai Digital Technology Group. Akai Professional was recently acquired by my new boss, who also owns Numark and Alesis. My group will be involved in all sorts of interesting pro audio and video projects.

Rob
Posted by: robricc

Re: Moving on.. - 29/10/2004 22:05

Quote:
Numark and Alesis

Congrats on the gig Rob. If you'll be at the NAMM show this January, let me know so I can say hello. I know Numark and Alesis always have a booth there as well as any other company remotely related to music retail. I'll be there as an exhibitor for the 5th year in a row.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Moving on.. - 30/10/2004 00:48

Hey! Can we all like get together and drink away the winter blahs?!

Re: Moving on.. - 30/10/2004 01:05

Quote:
Leader of Engineering

Rob, that sounds completely bitchin'. Great. I get to say "I met that bloke once."

So, I don't have any musical bones in my body, but I think I could really use some of those blinken lights around the house to attract women. Do we here on the BBS qualify for a discount?

Re: Moving on.. - 30/10/2004 08:51

Quote:
[If you'll be at the NAMM show this January, let me know so I can say hello.

Should definitely be there (probably also CES as Numark does a bit of consumer stuff with its Ion brand).

Rob

Re: Moving on.. - 30/10/2004 08:53

Quote:
I think I could really use some of those blinken lights around the house to attract women. Do we here on the BBS qualify for a discount?

I'll see what I can do - maybe we need a product specifically for that purpose!

Rob
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Moving on.. - 30/10/2004 15:19

Quote:
some of those blinken lights around the house to attract women.

I can't resist posting this as a solution.

Rob, congratulations on your awesome new job. I bet all the pro audio users out there will thank you for whatever cool stuff you cook up.