Arafat dead!

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Arafat dead! - 04/11/2004 20:09

Wife keeps him on life support.

Keeping a nervous eye on the Middle East..
Posted by: siberia37

Re: Arafat dead! - 04/11/2004 20:37

Quote:
Wife keeps him on life support.

Keeping a nervous eye on the Middle East..

I wonder what happens to a swiss bank account if no one can remember the account number and pin. I guess that's one of the benefits of owning a Swiss Bank.
Posted by: andym

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 12:18

That's not what I've heard, he's in a coma but he's alive.
Posted by: mdavey

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 12:38

The Israelis are claiming that he is brain dead and is on a ventalator. The Palestinians are categorically denying both claims.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3984711.stm
Posted by: tman

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 12:42

Yeah. I was in a bar yesterday and the TVs were set to Sky News. First a news flash came up that said he was dead, then he was just brain dead, then he wasn't dead at all according to the PM and finally he was in a critical condition but semi conscious. All of this in the space of about 15 minutes.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 13:39

This just in:

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 18:31

Seen on IRC: "Weekend at Arafat's"
Posted by: Redrum

Re: Arafat dead! - 05/11/2004 18:46

Always wanted to “Party” or even live at a “Compound.”

Calling the place you live a “Compound” just seems so cool, and “Wako-ish”

You just have to watch out for the damn ATF.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Arafat dead! - 08/11/2004 08:08

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Well, yes. But surely you don't give credence to those rumors about the demise of Mao Tse Tung?

My local newspaper had a sub-headline under the main headline for the story (about Arafat, not Chairman Mao ) something to the effect of:

"Arafat's Death Could Cause Unrest in the Middle East."

My God, what would we ever do If there were ever unrest in the Middle East? But, I can't imagine that ever actually happening.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Arafat dead! - 08/11/2004 08:43

I read another day an article about a journalist breaking the news of Arafat's death to Bush in the middle of a press conference. Dubya's response was actually quite coherent:

Quote:
My first reaction is God bless his soul. And my second reaction is that we will continue to work for a free Palestinian state that's at peace with Israel.

(Someone - Jim, I think - has already commented on the 'continuation' part, but still)

So, does that mean that Dubya only plays moron? If so, he deserves an Oscar, Emmy and all Golden Flora-and-fauna.

What befuddles me is that many Israelis (among others) think that Arafat's death (or permanent incapacitation - removal from the political scene, anyway) is somehow a good thing for the region. Unless the logic is 'the worse - the better'.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Arafat dead! - 12/11/2004 04:08

Now he's "dead" dead. Likely, as per everyone's definition - because there was some disagreement over the past week about how vegetative one had to be to be classified worm-food.

Bruno