Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware

Posted by: wfaulk

Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 00:19

My Event Viewer has told me "The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D, has a bad block." Is this the same as "Disk 2" listed in Disk Management? I'm inclined to say so, but I don't know.

Also, what does the "D" mean? My drive D: is my DVDROM drive, so that can't be it.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 00:47

I 99% certain Harddisk2 is Disk2. However I know they start at Harddisk0 in the Event Viewer - can't remember whether the disk tool starts at Disk1 or Disk0.

I have had this problem and didn't find anything conclusive although I was fairly certain I knew which drive was the dud anyway.

I'll be interested if there is a definitive way though.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 05:14

Without this kind of obfuscation, It just wouldn't be Windows.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 07:40

Well, were you reading from a disc in your DVD drive at the time? I have seen windows log "bad block" errors on my optical drives before, so it wouldn't suprise me if that is what it is reporting.

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 13:26

No, and when I rebooted, it went through a lengthy fsck/chkdsk/whatever. BTW, it sure would be nice if Windows saved the log file to that somewhere.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 13:51

Quote:
it sure would be nice if Windows saved the log file to that somewhere.

It ought to be in the Event Log. Run Event Viewer (eventvwr).

Re: Matching disks reported in Event Viewer with actual hardware - 01/12/2004 14:28

Unless I'm blind, it's not there. I'll doublecheck.