POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace?

Posted by: jimhogan

POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 03:45

Posted by: gbeer

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 03:50

He's just old news. Keeps doing mostly the same old thing. Draping fabric across the landscape and calling it art. More like littering.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 05:26

i didnt know who he was, so i asked tonyc. tonyc recommended google. i am unimpressed by whatever he (this Christo dude) is doing. as to whether he is an icon or a menace... *shrug* who cares?
Posted by: bonzi

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 20:16

I just saw a couple of photos of 'The Gates' (Google news and here). Strangely enough, I rather like it...
Posted by: kayakjazz

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 20:30

It's a bright spot in the drabness of the eastern winter, but all the hype about it is amazing. It is scheduled to be there 16 days, aand I doubt it will change the world, or even NYC...maybe Central Park?

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 13/02/2005 20:39

Agreed, but I would like to stroll a bit through The Gates, anyway...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 14/02/2005 18:38

To me, it's pure art. It's virtually non-representational and is just done because. Because he thinks it's attractive.

Of course, that doesn't count the guy that got killed by one of the unmbrellas flying off its mooring at one of his previous installations.

He does need to come up with a new idea, though. I think the fabric thing's been done to death now.
Posted by: kayakjazz

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 01:22

...appreciate your extremely informative link, above. I too would love to stroll it, especially as the trees look to be coated in hoarfrost. I know that part of the park well enough that I can almost put myself there by visualizing, having seen the pictures in your link. I think it's fun, just don't get why it should be so contraversial...

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 04:49

Quote:
just don't get why it should be so contraversial...

I suppose if I were footing the bill, I might feel a bit of controversy, but otherwise I think I'm with Bitt -- art because it looks nice (YMMV).

This Poll #59 was intended to provoke the viewer with a very small model of false dichotomy ("But I didn't stop beating my wife!")

Performance polling.

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 09:04

Quote:
I suppose if I were footing the bill, I might feel a bit of controversy, but otherwise I think I'm with Bitt -- art because it looks nice (YMMV).

Apparently, Christo & Jeanne-Claude (sp?) footed the bill (expected to be $20M+) themselves. So, why not?

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 13:42

Quote:
Apparently, Christo & Jeanne-Claude (sp?) footed the bill (expected to be $20M+) themselves. So, why not?

Dang, what ever happened to the time-honored tradition of starving artists?
Posted by: julf

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 16:47

Quote:

Mao and Stalin died?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 15/02/2005 16:51

I think they still do it in Cuba. And probably North Korea, as long as the artist's name is not Kim Jong Il, history's greatest Renaissance man.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: POLL: Christo: Icon or Menace? - 16/02/2005 03:38

Quote:
Quote:

Not quick enough! The crowds won't stay till the end.