Out of the harness!!

Posted by: boxer

Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 08:01

Whooppee....After three months of hard graft, I finally became a retired person, last night!
With the aid of four solicitors and three accountants, we finally got signatures on all the bits of paper: No kidding, the papers completely filled one side of a 20ft long conference table and took an hour and a half to complete.
I've sold my business to two managers who have worked for me for 15 years, so it's a pretty happy outcome. We were relieved to find that it's not like weddings, we didn't have to kiss each other after, just go for a celebration pint, or two.
I think that for the next week, I'll stare at the ceiling and then get to work on the model railway.
Posted by: andym

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 08:10

Congrats Godfrey! I thought you were going to carry on until December?
Posted by: julf

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 08:23

Quote:
Whooppee....After three months of hard graft, I finally became a retired person, last night!

Congrats!!!
Quote:
I think that for the next week, I'll stare at the ceiling and then get to work on the model railway.

When I went into semi-retirement from the corporate world (still do independent consulting/advisory work, but had it with the corporate threadmill), I spent the first few days finally playing with the Lego robotics set...

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 09:22

Quote:
I thought you were going to carry on until December?

"The three months of hard graft" is the clue, I got to a point a few weeks back where I'd had enough, the finance people(Those guys chew bullets)were threatening not to underwrite it, so I said OK, I'll reduce the lump sum and you can pay the balance in instalments, but in return: All the guarantees come out of my side of the contract - and I walk on the day we sign.
So my only commitment is to give help, support and advice, because, in the unlikely event that it goes pear shape, I lose some of my money.
Posted by: julf

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 09:32

Quote:
All the guarantees come out of my side of the contract - and I walk on the day we sign.

Ahh. Excellent. That always makes it so much nicer and cleaner! (I lost part of my settlement money when the guys went down 5 months after I left, and I lost a heck of a lot in options and shares that became worthless. Too bad the Amsterdam Stock Exchange doesn't print share certificates on paper anymore - would have been fun to use them as wallpaper in the loo...)
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 13:25

Congrats! Must be a great feeling.

Given your new status, you might want to update the "Occupation" field in your profile with something like "N/A" or maybe "Model Railroad Construction Engineer."
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 13:31

Quote:
Given your new status, you might want to update the "Occupation" field in your profile with something like "N/A" or maybe "Model Railroad Construction Engineer."

Or, given his arrangement, it sounds like he could just swap his Occupation and Hobbies

Congrats!
Posted by: tahir

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 14:48

Congratulations
Posted by: Cris

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 16:30

Well done Godfrey !!! Wow that took some doing !!!

Remind me never to start my own company

Where is the model railway going to go ???

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Out of the harness!! - 08/03/2005 16:58

Quote:
Where is the model railway going to go ???

In bits all round the house, if it's anything like computers, hi-fi, or any of my other enterprises.
I think that I may start round the sitting room floor on Friday, as long as the Boxers don't attack!
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Out of the harness!! - 09/03/2005 08:19

Well done!

Sounds like you'll be just as busy in 'retirement' as you were in work. Probably a good thing though . ...

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Out of the harness!! - 09/03/2005 09:02

I'm not feeling so good about it this morning: I've seen the solicitors and accountants bills: what have those guys been doing!
But thanks for all the goodwill.

Re: Out of the harness!! - 09/03/2005 12:33

Now maybe I'm naive, or maybe it's just that you only do this once in life, but I didn't realise that the buyer's solicitors give the sellers solicitors your money, and then deduct their fees and the accountants fees before sending it to your Bank: so, if you want to get your hands on your money, you have to accept the two estimates, rather than haggle or withold - a very cosy arrangement.
Having said which, the solicitors fees were very reasonable and I felt that they had played very square with me, whilst the accountants are, to my mind, really over the top: And, from everything everyone told me, I expected the reverse to be the case.