Rock Swings

Posted by: Dignan

Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 15:51

Rock music….as performed by Paul Anka!!

I'm not sure how many people here have heard about this, but good ol’ Paul is releasing a CD of rock covers over in Germany. Here’s a track list:

1 Eye Of The Tiger [Survivor]
2 Jump [Van Halen]
3 Everybody Hurts [R.E.M.]
4 Wonderwall [Oasis]
5 Black Hole Sun [Soundgarden]
6 It's My Life [Bon Jovi]
7 It's A Sin [Pet Shop Boys]
8 True [Spandau Ballet??]
9 Smells Like Teen Spirit [Nirvana]
10 Hello [Lionel Richie]
11 Eyes Without A Face [Billy Idol]
12 Lovecats [The Cure]
13 The Way You Make Me Feel [Michael Jackson]
14 Tears In Heaven [Eric Clapton]

I don’t even know where to start. I can’t even single out Nirvana and Soundgarden as the most humorous. “Jump” is pretty hilarious too. I couldn’t pick just one. But in all seriousness, I'm quite interested in hearing what this sounds like. Is there anyone on the board here from Germany who could send me a coupld copies of this? I'd gladly reimburse for the cost+shipping.

I’ve read somewhere that he’s really interested in appearing on Arrested Development, since one of this daughters is married to Jason Bateman. I could definitely see him on the show performing “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

“It’ll sound a lot better comin’ outta Paul Anka”
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 16:55

Meanwhile, 30 second wma clips are available here..
They seem to ship internationally as well, but no idea on s/h costs (the CD is €14.99 - about $18.60 according to my bank)
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:05

Wow, that's almost as twisted as Pat Boone's In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy. He's got a great cover of Metallica's Enter Sandman among others. Amazon was also nice enough to point out Lounge Against the Machine, but the sound clips there don't excite me too much. If you're into genre bending, one of my all-time favorites is The Moog Cookbook. For something really warped, it doesn't get much weirder than Senor Coconut's Latin rhythm take on Kraftwerk, El Baile Aleman.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:07

Also, Amazon seems to carry the Anka CD, as well.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:07

You do know about Pat Boone's similar foray, right?
Posted by: cushman

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:12

You can find all kinds of crap^H^H^H^Hcovers on this label, too.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:16

And:
Beatallica

Brilliant

edit - link down at the moment, but trust me, classics such as Everybody's Got A Ticket To RIde Except For Me And My Lightning, Hey Dude, and Blackened The USSR are brilliant.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Rock Swings - 08/04/2005 17:41

Quote:
You do know about Pat Boone's similar foray, right?

Oh, I know about it. It's quite frightening. But this seems a little more "respectable." At the very least there isn't a Dio cover.

Quote:
Also, Amazon seems to carry the Anka CD, as well.

Thanks! That'll be good. My mother asked for a copy for mother's day

ps- naturally, none of these are up to par with Cash's cover of "Rusty Cage"
Posted by: peter

Re: Rock Swings - 09/04/2005 09:37

Quote:
For something really warped, it doesn't get much weirder than Senor Coconut's Latin rhythm take on Kraftwerk

Senor Coconut's The Robots is classic. As is most of Nouvelle Vague: New Wave classics (Joy Division, Undertones, Clash) redone as bossa-nova.

Peter
Posted by: larry818

Re: Rock Swings - 10/04/2005 12:07

Kind of reverse of this, I once had an album (lp, vinyl) called Elvis "Cover Me". It was 16 of Elvis' top hits by their original artists.
Posted by: ninti

Re: Rock Swings - 10/04/2005 14:45

> Lounge Against the Machine, but the sound clips there don't excite me too much.

Yeah, I can't say I'm too impressed by that one either. Too bad, because I have a Lounge Tribute to Eminem that I absolutely love.
Posted by: julf

Re: Rock Swings - 14/04/2005 08:50

Quote:
For something really warped, it doesn't get much weirder than Senor Coconut's Latin rhythm take on Kraftwerk, El Baile Aleman.

Ahh, another person to find that gem!