Secondary DNS

Posted by: andym

Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 13:56

I'm currently hosting DNS for a couple of sites I've got. I'd like to get somebody else to host secondary DNS records for me, preferably on a decent, fast server as resolution sometimes times out on my ADSL connection. I noticed DynDNS do a secondary DNS service but $11 a year seems awfully steep for keeping a 2kbyte file on a server somewhere. Any recommendations?
Posted by: Attack

Re: Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 15:59

Are you running the primary dns server? Is it Bind or TinyDns?

Re: Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 16:16

Yes it's the primary server and it runs BIND, it hosts my local domain .homenet.all. and serves all the DNS requests for all my local machines.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 17:08

Hmm,

I could help you out but since I'm running Tinydns you would need to email me any updates you make to your DNS since TinyDNS doesn't like to transfer zones with Bind.

Re: Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 19:06

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to see if the guys at work wouldn't mind hosting it as they're running BIND. I'll see how it goes.
Posted by: andy

Re: Secondary DNS - 17/04/2005 19:25

Hmmm

If you do end up paying for secondary DNS, I would highly recommend Gradwell. For £20 a year you get secondary DNS and backup SMTP for upto 50 domains.

Their service just works and keeps on working, which is all you can ask for really.

http://www.gradwell.com/dns/
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Secondary DNS - 18/04/2005 22:13

I'll do it for you if you want. I have an 864kbit upload on my DSL. You can try it and see how it goes if you want. It's DSL, but its free.

Also, check with your ISP. My ISP will do secondary DNS for me for free.

Jim
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Secondary DNS - 19/04/2005 01:46

Depending on how many records you have, I could do it on our company's server. T1. BIND.

Re: Secondary DNS - 19/04/2005 19:04

Thanks for the offers guys, I ended up emailing an old friend who's agreed to host it on one of his servers on the end of a fat pipe.