good audiophile board for selling stuff?

Posted by: ithoughti

good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 15:53

So I'm about to aquire some Revel Salon speakers.

They are rediculously amazing and expensive (about $15,000) I'm not exactly paying full price, I know someone at the manufacturer and he is getting them for me at a deep discount. This is perfectly legal, I swear. They are unused but do not come with a warranty. I would like to sell them because I realized that I don't have the right equipment to run them and probably never will.

I would imagine that I could sell them for $10K, but don't really have any idea what the going rate for a pair of speakers like this with no warranty would be. So I figured I would ask all of you kids what you thought I should do. Maybe go onto a serious audiophile board and ask around, or ebay, or something else. I really don't know.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 17:02

Quote:
I realized that I don't have the right equipment to run them

According to the manual:
Quote:
A minimum impedance value of 3 ohms, together with moderate phase angles, signifies that any competently-designed amplifier can easily drive SALON.

Do you not forsee being able to afford a competently-designed amplifier?
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 18:15

Maybe he means "equipment to do the speakers justice"
Posted by: andym

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 18:30

Yeah, I doubt a £30 amp from Richer Sounds will do the trick. Kind of like sticking a Trabant engine in a Ferrari.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 18:42

Quote:
Maybe he means "equipment to do the speakers justice"

exactly. "garbage in garbage out"

on a side note: anyone want to buy these?

Posted by: Dylan

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 19:46

Yeah, don't forget to pick up some of these to do them justice.

As for a place to sell them, try www.audiogon.com

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 19:56

um, $32000 for 10ft of speaker cable? wow. If I only had $50billion.... I still wouldn't buy that!

thanks for audiogon, I'll try that out.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 19:59

Quote:
Yeah, don't forget to pick up some of these to do them justice.

As for a place to sell them, try www.audiogon.com

This never ceases to amaze me! I don't know for any other branch of commerce (not even haute couture) with profit margin of 50%, 80%, 99% ...!

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 20:08

Aren't the speakers "the weakest link" in most audio systems? After all, thay are the place where easily manipulated electrical signal finally has to be made to actually move something, preferably linearly, without harmonic or phase distortion etc... If the speakers are worth their price (I am not familiar with them), I say you have 3/4 (in fifnancial terms) of an excellent system.

I would bet that your discount would buy you everything from CD to power amp you would be very hard pressed to tell apart from the most outrageously expensive bait for fool's money (of course, by listening only).
Posted by: tfabris

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 20:21

Quote:
Aren't the speakers "the weakest link" in most audio systems?

Naw, usually it's the guy picking which CD to play.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 17/05/2005 20:21

well, i would love to keep these but I'm acctually also getting a pair of Revel Gems, much smaller and less expensive and they suit my lifestyle better. Besides, if I can sell these for a hefty profit and at the same time someone else gets a great bargain, then that would be fantastic towards paying off some debt.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 04:56

Quote:
Quote:
Aren't the speakers "the weakest link" in most audio systems?

Naw, usually it's the guy picking which CD to play.

LOL

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 05:06

Quote:
well, i would love to keep these but I'm acctually also getting a pair of Revel Gems, much smaller and less expensive and they suit my lifestyle better. Besides, if I can sell these for a hefty profit and at the same time someone else gets a great bargain, then that would be fantastic towards paying off some debt.

Ah! Of course. In that case the site linked before looks like a good bet (browsing through descriptions of $3000 used CD 'transports' (that is, drives without DAC in huge expensive-looking housings) and such was amusing; it should not be difficult to sell expensive speakers that are actually good).
Posted by: MarkH

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 05:44

$3000 ? Ah - then you'll be needing our entry-level line, sir. Our serious stuff is a very reasonable $56,000

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 06:20

Quote:
$3000 ? Ah - then you'll be needing our entry-level line, sir. Our serious stuff is a very reasonable $56,000

Argh, my heart!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 12:39

Wow. How can you possibly say things like "sweeter, more music-like sound, and a better layering of depth, especially in the mid-frequencies" when talking about a device that reads bits from a CD and transmits them digitally to another device. That is, without laughing.

That's like saying "I prefer Western Digital hard drives because they make my JPEGs' colors richer."
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 20:02

They make the ones more oneish and the zeros more null, you numb eared cretin!

-Zeke
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 18/05/2005 23:59

Quote:
"I prefer Western Digital hard drives because they make my JPEGs' colors richer."

HA haha! Perfect.

I was going to new-thread (verb) my typical rant about how audiophile gear frustrates me, but here it is in two sentences: Audiophiles deny the problem that the weakest link in their setup is the equipment at the recording studio. Um, Sony LTD isn't using solid stranded argentum-aurum cables.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 19/05/2005 13:06

Indeed, it's amazing what happens once you get a reasonable setup. Years ago, I got myself a pair of Grado Labs SR60's -- reasonably priced headphones that sound just absolutely amazing. My first discovery was that the sound card in my PC was beyond useless. I could hear buzzing when I moved the mouse and, if I tried to scroll a window, it was far more pronounced. Turned out that the CD-ROM drive's internal audio output was significantly cleaner. My next discovery was that one of my favorite Bobby McFerrin CDs had been mastered by a pack of raving lunatics who must have plugged their mastering board into a two-stroke diesel generator. I believe the audiophiles refer to this quality as "revealing".

In my home theater, I decided to blow most of my budget on quality speakers (VMPS RM2's) and everything else is fairly pedestrian Japanese gear. My speaker wire came from Home Depot and my cables are Radio Shack's "Gold" line. This worked out pretty well. What I really want now is a larger room. If I wanted to get silly, I'd go for sound-absorbing foam on the wall behind the speakers.

Edit: And my favorite bit of incomprehensible audiophile dribble came from one dealer where I was listening to some overpriced speakers. I brought along a CD-R I'd burned with a variety of tunes to really stress all the different aspects of a speaker (some jazz vocals, some big band, some classical with serious dynamics, and some techno with deep bass). One salesman said that, when you burned a CD, you were loosing "at least 20%" of the sound from the original CD. (These were straight WAV rips; no MP3 compression.) Interestingly, several of their "audiophile" CD players simply couldn't handle a CD-R, while the more pedestrian gear worked just fine.

Standard joke: What's the difference between a used car salesman and a stereo salesman?

A: The used car salesman knows when he's lying.
Posted by: andy

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 19/05/2005 16:45

Quote:
Interestingly, several of their "audiophile" CD players simply couldn't handle a CD-R, while the more pedestrian gear worked just fine.

I have found that with slightly suspect CDs as well. The more expensive the transport the less likely a scratched or otherwise dodgy CD will playback sucessfully.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 19/05/2005 17:13

Right, because it specifically doesn't interpolate missing data. I mean, I understand the general concepts involved and can see how a high-quality transport (with or without built-in DAC) can read data more accurately (after all, look how much effort we have to go to to get accurate rips of CDs on the computer), but to really affect the sound quality, especially on an unmarred CD? I don't think so.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 20/05/2005 01:42

Here's one more thing I don't get about these hyper expensive CD players: who cares if the speed is dead perfect when you could cache the whole thing at whatever X speed and then just spool the data to the DAC at the exact right rate?

Sorry, I know I'm using logic which isn't allowed in high end audio.

Now about those laser turntables...
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 20/05/2005 23:32

Good tips, and a good laugh.
Quote:
it's amazing what happens once you get a reasonable setup.

I really need a good setup to understand what IS good audio. It's sad how complacent I am with 160kbps mp3 on my SB Audigy through 30 year old Lafayette F990 headphones. But I love those headphones!
Posted by: BAKup

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 13:56

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I saw this while reading through another fourm: Volume knob that will make your music sound better

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 17:52

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 18:27

The best part is that, even as if we didn't know that these people are gouging, they're charging $485 for a hunk of beechwood and a T-nut, or maybe a threaded insert, if they're fancy. Maybe $5 worth of materials.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 18:44

I think they're clearly missing an opportunity to sell special audiophile-quality air to pump into the room to maximize the <bullshit audiophile adjective> <bullshit audiophile noun> of the music listening experience.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 19:02

Nah. Air's hard to ship. A fan and a filter would be better. Plus, you have to replace the filter every 48 listening minutes.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 19:11

Don't forget the special C37 lacquer. That might cost some big money.

Edit: Oh My. I just found out the price of that lacquer. 88$ for 10ml of it.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/c37_e.html

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 20:15

Gah. PT Barnum was right.
Posted by: rob

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 20:40

Quote:
Don't forget the special C37 lacquer. That might cost some big money.

So after spending 50 grand on your audiophile loud speakers, they want you to coat them in lacquer??

I can accept some of the audiophile science. One of the guys at work has a set of Meridian DSP33 tops and DM5500 sub in his office at the moment. I can't deny that the sound is amazing, and there's some good science behind that including a very low noise floor due to the system being digital to within a few inches of the drivers. The major differentiating factor from a cheaper system is that each and every driver has been DSP calibrated to compensate for non linearities caused by manufacturing variance. Getting each driver perfectly matched in phase and amplitude across its full band leads to very impressive sound reproduction.

And then some tosser wants you to paint a bunch of shite all over the cones, totally screwing up the calibration.

Riiiight.

I think I'm going to have to market the resonant anal cavity damper that I came up with. It heightens the listening experience by a factor of 2.4 by damping out intrusive anal cavity resonance, and at $649 I believe it offers tremendous value to the descerning audiophile.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 20:52

I think the sellers of these "audiophile" things are in a contest to see who can sell the most ridiculous item.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 25/05/2006 21:00

Ah yes, I saw that knob linked from this list of audiophile gadgets:

http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

What amuses me is the descriptions in the reviews describing that a POWER CABLE "dramatically improves the immediacy of a transient’s inception, allowing for an incredible expanse of harmonic information and musical envelopment to follow"

Gareth

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 26/05/2006 17:33

Quote:
Ah yes, I saw that knob linked from this list of audiophile gadgets:

http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

What amuses me is the descriptions in the reviews describing that a POWER CABLE "dramatically improves the immediacy of a transient’s inception, allowing for an incredible expanse of harmonic information and musical envelopment to follow"

Gareth

Oh, even better was this quote from that site about those power cables.

Apparently the miles of lowly aluminium high voltage lines that brought your power to your house are of no consequence.

PT Barnum was an optimist.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 28/02/2007 20:49

Yet again, I bring this thread from the dead.

This can not be real, I keep telling myself this, but somehow I feel it's true:

http://www.cableburner.com/index.htm

A cable burn-in service, so your sound will be better since your cables must be burned in.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 28/02/2007 20:57

Let me get this straight. Some audiophiles will use rare metals or excessively thick connection cables to get the least amount of loss or resistance, thus "improving" their sound. Yet this company caters to those audiophiles who want their cables deliberately *degraded* by usage.

Sigh.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 01/03/2007 20:37

Quote:

http://www.cableburner.com/index.htm

Ha. I actually sent them an email, thanking them for brightening my day and giving me a good laugh.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: good audiophile board for selling stuff? - 01/03/2007 23:56

Quote:
... A cable burn-in service, so your sound will be better since your cables must be burned in.

"WE ALSO SELL BRAND NEW CABLES. FULL BURN-IN AT NO EXTRA CHARGE."

The old "quick format" con, I bet.