I hate job interviews!

Posted by: andym

I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 09:34

Had an hour long job interview for an IT/Engineering manager job at a local TV station. As seems to be the case for things like that the first interview is all the management bollocks. Is it me or are there no right answers to the sort of questions that get asked at interviews like that? It's a shame that they don't ask any proper technical questions at that stage. Worse still I might have to wait 2 weeks before I find out wether I get a second interview.
Now I'm going to spent the next few weeks torturing myself by going over all the answers I gave in my head.
Posted by: frog51

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 10:25

In my experience, for most of these type of interviews the answers you give aren't necessarily that important. It gives the interviewer a way to see how you respond.

After all, any technical details can be read off your CV and then confirmed with a couple of questions, but at the end of the day any manager worth their salt should be interested in you as a person, your aspirations, your drive and passion.

I always recommend people go for lots of interviews - not just ones for jobs they want - for practice!
Posted by: SteveH

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 11:05

Hating the management before you've even been offered the job, sounds like you're exactly who they're looking for!

Oh year, and well done for getting the interview in the first place.

Steve
Posted by: JeffS

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 12:34

Quote:
It gives the interviewer a way to see how you respond.
Exactly. Having just gone through the process myself (and now giving interviews for my replacement), I can definitely say most of the questions had no "correct" answer.

Some examples:
Your project has been developed and tested and is in the middle of deployment. It will go live in one week. The client comes to you and requests additional features, yet says the origional timeline must hold. What do you do?
Impossible situation of course- I responded that we could make the changes and miss the date or save the changes for a second release, recommending the latter. I also said that OT would not accomplish the goal. Of course, this wouldn't make the customer happy, but sometimes it's just an impossible task.

Another question I had was this one:
You have a task you know can be accomplished in a month and a half with two resources, but you only have one resource available. You are required to finish within a month and a half, so what do you do
To this one I responded either hire a contract help to augment the team or miss the date. OT would not do it. One person cannot do the work of two by putting in more hours.

In either case (and there were many more questions like these), it wasn't so much the answers she was interested as my demostration of understading software development issues. To give the answer "that's impossible" and not follow up would have been a poor answer, even if correct.

The really funny thing about these interviews was when they actually brought the users in and locked me in a room with them for an hour. I don't think they gave the users any clue as to what was going on- and in fact it seemed like they thought I was already on the job. I was informed that one modification should take, "about 30 mins" by one of the ladies! I carefully explained that without seeing the code I had no idea how long it would take, and that if it required an change to the way the data was stored then it could take months to implement if we wanted to make sure nothing else broke. This actually resonated with them because they've gone through a number of modifications that break other, semmingly unrelated things. The fact that I turned a somewhat negative group of users toward a positive discussion by the end really impressed the managers, so it was one of the more useful aspects to the whole process, even if it was a bit strange.

The big myth about interviewing is that people really put a lot of value into it. The truth is, you cannot make a solid, rational judgement after meeting with someone for an hour. Those who are charismatic and outgoing are always going to come off better, even though good IT people tend to have neither trait. I think the most important trait a software developer can have is creative ability, yet how in the world can you judge that in 60 minutes? Instead we get left being questioned about how well we know C# or Java- really useless since good development principles cross language boundries and new software languages are not hard to pick up.

Not that there's any real solution to the limitation of interviews- an interview is better than not meeting the person at all. I guess I just feel like people put too much stock into them and would do better to be more aware of the limitations.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 14:12

Quote:
I always recommend people go for lots of interviews - not just ones for jobs they want - for practice!

It sounds like something I'd like to do. The only problem is that these sorts of jobs don't come round very often, certainly in the northwest so if they do come up, chances are it's a job I'd really like to do anyway.

The job itself will be really cool, everything I want to do, the freedom and perfect environment to do it in and the paypacket to match. It'll be a real kick in the balls if I don't get it.

Spoke to my job mentor (old friend from uni and later the BBC) who seems to think judging from the questions I was asked and the answers I gave that I've got a reasonably good chance... and he's the biggest pessimist I know (SteveH running a close second )
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 15:54

Quote:
(SteveH running a close second )

Maybe Darkstorm running third? I wonder what happened to him.
Posted by: boxer

Re: I hate job interviews! - 04/08/2005 16:56

Fingers Crossed here, from an eternal optimist!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 05/08/2005 05:21

Well - best of luck to you.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: I hate job interviews! - 05/08/2005 08:30

Quote:
(SteveH running a close second )

Thanks,
Remember, every silver lining has a cloud.

BTW, did you muster a suit for this one or rely on your charm and skillset to impress them?

Steve

Re: I hate job interviews! - 07/08/2005 14:59

I now have a suit. Although I did have to go out an buy a tie the day before. If I get another interview I might have to get another tie, that way it doesn't look like I only have one shirt and tie.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 05:20

I'll mail you one from my extensive collection, waiting to go to the charity shop, I haven't worn one since March (Except for dinner at our Hotel in Wales), any colour preference?

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 06:24

Nice one! I'll PM you.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 08:42

Ugh! Too late, the bin liner has left: Choice is now down to blue or blue!
I'll be keeping: Black, Winnie the Pooh and Father Christmas!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 11:25

I think blue could work. Is it dark blue?

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 11:49

SWMBO keeps telling me I have too many ties and that I need to 'rationalise' before moving house on the 26th...so potentially I'll cheer her up and zap one or two your way!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 12:36

Wow this turning into Tie Aid! After meeting you in Amersfoort I just can't picture you in a suit. You looked like you were more at home dangling from a rope off a cliff (or maybe in high security vault looking for an unsecured workstation )

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 12:53

Both a sort of mid blue, one in a fairly sober abstract pattern, the other in a very sober small grid pattern, of course, I should have mentioned that I shall be keeping the old school tie, also!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 13:12

Ha ha ha - the day I joined my current firm I had hair about a foot long and wore black leather and jeans by preference, but the partner who gave me my job offer answered my question of "So, do you have a hair length policy?" with "Just do what you think is right for the client, Rory."

So short hair. Luckily most of my clients are smart casual, so no ties, unless I'm chatting with CEOs, FDs etc.

And even then I tend to wear Tigger, Pink Panther, Winnie The Pooh, or Kangaroo ties

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 16:02

Quote:
Luckily most of my clients are smart casual, so no ties, unless I'm chatting with CEOs, FDs etc.

I've been thinking about what I'd have to wear from day to day if I got the job. Everyone was very smart in the interview but I wondered what the technical people wear day to day at work. I'd be happy with a polo shirt and trousers, I think wearing a suit every day is a little OTT.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 16:30

Quote:
I think wearing a suit every day is a little OTT

For 25 years, I wore a different suit each day of the working week, each suit had 2 pairs of trousers, as you don't always wear the jackets.
Two of my staff once asked me about dressing down, friday, I replied: "What you mean no cufflinks!" I was never asked again: In an ad. agency, you're always have to be presentable.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 08/08/2005 16:47

I think if you're customer/public facing then it's important. However, if you're on the end of a phone or running cables then I think it's less important.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 11/08/2005 12:05

Looks like I'll definitely be needing another tie, just been offered a second interview.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 11/08/2005 12:46

Result! Congrats - and best of luck with round two and the blue tie!
Posted by: JeffS

Re: I hate job interviews! - 11/08/2005 16:23

Congrats! That's gotta feel good.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 16/08/2005 21:32

New tie and shirt purchased, now onto interview prep. This one's going to be technical. I'm not worried about the broadcast side too much, nor am I worried about pure computing stuff. The bit I think I could fall down on is heavyweight windows admin. I'd like to think there's nothing I can't usually do with windows, but that usually involves sitting in front of a machine and having a poke round first, not sat in a meeting room in a suit.

I there anything you guys could recommend to have a read through before Monday? I'm not saying I want my MCSE in a weekend just something to bring me back up to speed.

TBH, I don't think they'll ask much, if at all about it. I'd just like to prepare myself in case.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: I hate job interviews! - 16/08/2005 21:37

Just be honest and say you can do it when your at a computer but find it hard to rattle it off at interview. Its what I say and it works!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: I hate job interviews! - 16/08/2005 21:40

Yeah, generally I find that you needn't know the exact answer as long as you can show you know where or how to find the answer and that you understand the question in general.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 16/08/2005 21:52

Makes sense, almost like showing your working out on a maths test to get extra points even if the final answer isn't right or missing.
I've never really been to an interview where i haven't had a really good grasp of all the key skills before. Windows network admin isn't listed as a skill in the advert, but thought they might assume the candidates would know it anyway.
Posted by: sein

Re: I hate job interviews! - 18/08/2005 12:10

Nice one Andy, best of luck, hope it goes well!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 17:05

Got it!
Posted by: Cris

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 17:09

WELL DONE ANDY !!!!

I hope it's the good move you have been looking for, I am sure Amy is over the moon too!

When do you start?

When are you taking me for a beer to mark the occasion?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 17:21

I'm waiting for the letter (which should arrive tomorrow) before I give my notice in. But it should be a month of which I've got 2 and a 1/2 weeks of annual to take before I go. So I should start at the end of September. It looks like I have to hit the ground running, they want their new broadcast center up and running by xmas.

Let me know when you're in Manchester next and we can go out and celebrate, although we are going to York on Saturday, so maybe we could meet up in Leeds if you're over there?

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 17:32

Mmmmm Digging in 11m of fence and putting up a deck this weekend, so I'm not going to be much fun. Feel free to pop around, but you will have to make your own Cuppa, unless you talk nice to Nicola

Will any nice BBC gear be leaving with you?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 18:06

I'm hoping they'll let me take my toolkit with me, I've also got an old crotch cooker of a P4 laptop that I'm hoping they won't miss. I think it's unlikely they'll let me take my new 20 inch Dell TFT though.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 18:12

You can always come and look at mine

I have 2 now

Cheers

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 18:21

So where'd you get it from at that price?

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 18:33

Decided the deal was worth the risk.

So far so good, there is a little more light bleed than on the other, but I would be really nit picking then, it won't bother me.

So what's the new job title then?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:21

IT/Engineering manager, I have minions!
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:31

Congrats.
Posted by: tman

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:40

Quote:
IT/Engineering manager, I have minions!

Uh oh. No being a PHB okay? Congrats BTW!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:52

Pointy Haired Boss or Psycho Hose Beast? No danger of either hopefully.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:58

I was guessing pin head boss.
Posted by: tman

Re: I hate job interviews! - 24/08/2005 19:59

Quote:
Pointy Haired Boss or Psycho Hose Beast? No danger of either hopefully.

Was thinking first one but yeah, don't become the second either

Re: I hate job interviews! - 25/08/2005 06:19

Congratulations Andy! Was confident you'd get it from what you said.

Minions, eh...nice!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 25/08/2005 15:46

Congrats! Sorry, been nursing a bug for a couple of days, only just caught up with the site.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 25/08/2005 16:30

Thanks guys, there will be two people working in my department. I hope we'll be able to get along and there won't be too awkward as it sounds like they might be older than me.

On a related note, I found a suitable resignation letter on http://www.i-resign.com/uk/home/ there's some corkers on there.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 25/08/2005 18:20

Do they have any idea that you have got another job?

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 26/08/2005 10:32

Decided to tell my project manager just as we got into a meeting this morning. He looked quite upset.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 26/08/2005 19:48

If you were offered a better deal would you stay where you are ?

Although I know this sort of thing doesn't work at all at BT, if you try that sort of thing on they just replace you with another number.

I love working for a big corp, it's great! (I don't think so!)

Cheers

Cris.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 26/08/2005 20:01

It would have to be a pretty bloody spectacular offer for me to stay.

Nope, I'm happy to work for a company with 30 employees of which I'll be responsible for 20% of them. There's only the ops director between me and the big boss too. Working for a company the size of the BBC (or indeed BT) eventually just got to me. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 07:04

Quote:
Nope, I'm happy to work for a company with 30 employees

You do right - said with feeling by a man who worked for a big company, got fed up and started his own!
Incidentally: York this weekend they're giving out warnings to avoid the A64, because of the Leeds festival at Bramham. M62, Jcn 34 and follow the A19 could be the thing to do.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 07:25

Many thanks Godfrey, who needs Trafficmaster when you've got the empeg bbs?

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 17:21

B'locks, I've just watched the northern news, and that section is all closed for an accident: sorry to give you duff info., but I couldn't have known!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 17:42

s'okay, I just asked tomtom to avoid the a64 and it took us a little further up the A1/M1 instead, no problems at all. In fact we took the a64 back and it was fine.

The motorway signs said it was shut and it still said it coming back so it must've been quite serious.

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 17:59

Quote:
s'okay, I just asked tomtom to avoid the a64 and it took us a little further up the A1/M1 instead

Ah, you could have popped in for a small libation on the way!!

Re: I hate job interviews! - 27/08/2005 18:51

Amy said we should've popped round, can't exactly remember where you lived.