My Canon SD500 LCD Broke...

Posted by: ShadowMan

My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 15:19

My Canon SD500 LCD broke for no obvious reason and it seems to be a common problem with Canon cameras, particularly the SD series.

I've posted a bunch of information on my site at http://rene.conneriver.com and I also posted to digg.com.

Anybody on here have a mysteriously broken LCD?

Rene
Posted by: lastdan

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 16:12

I read that the screens had this problem. I lost my s200 a few months back and was looking at this for a replacement.
how do you like it otherwise?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 16:49

Quote:
I read that the screens had this problem. I lost my s200 a few months back and was looking at this for a replacement.
how do you like it otherwise?

I love the camera otherwise. It has a replacement now, the SD550. It's fast, small, takes great pictures and excellent video. If you go to my website you can find a link to my gallery (http://rene.conneriver.com/gallery) and most, if not all, pictures there were taken with the SD500. They are scaled down to 640x480 due to the number of pictures I have there.

If you would like to see some full sized versions of pictures you see on the site let me know and I will email them to you.

Some more recent albums would be the 2005 camping album, Targa Newfoundland 2005, 2006 Gulf Stream, the last three wedding albums, and the landscaping pictures.

The battery life is excellent. I have taken well over 300 pictures on a single charge with LCD on at all times and flash set to auto with a combination of indoor and outdoor dark and light shots.

Did I mention this camera is fast???

Hope this helps you!

Rene
Posted by: tfabris

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 18:44

Quote:

/me checks his SD200...

Nope, all OK here. Knock on wood.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 19:16

SD300 ok here.

I hate to say it, but it looks a whole lot like an impact fracture. Maybe time to start questioning the wife/kids/cow-orker/dog etc...
Posted by: jbauer

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 20:26

Quote:

My SD400 is fine. I use: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=13 which I love.

- Jon
Posted by: Robotic

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 22:12

Quote:
... Maybe time to start questioning the wife/kids/cow-orker/dog etc...

I've never seen a cow being orked before, and I don't think I wanna, either.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 22:15

I think Scott Adams said approximately the same thing when he coined the phrase in The Dilbert Principle.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 22:21

I'll have to re-read that (and the others)- it's been too long since the last time.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 22:25

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just love those books. I've got four of them, has he written any more since then?

/me checks Amazon...

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 29/09/2005 22:30

Hm, looks like I need to get "Top Secret Management Handbook". I'm skipping the two God books because I'm pretty sure he'd be preaching to the choir with me.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/10/2005 23:47

Quote:

/me checks his sd200...

Nope, all OK here. Knock on wood.

GAH. I knew I shouldn't have knocked on particle board and called it wood.

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.

I've got it dismantled, I'm pretty sure there won't be any trouble putting the new LCD in. Assuming I can convince them to send me the LCD on Monday when I call the parts department. I need this camera working in two weeks, and that's well past their repair department turnaround time.

GAH.

So... For Shadowman, what did you end up doing? Did you get it repaired or what?

Edit: I just checked your web site. Glad to see you convinced them to send you the LCD by itself. It means that on Monday, I've got a chance. Thanks for posting the information.
Posted by: cushman

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/10/2005 00:04

Quote:
My SD400 is fine. I use: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=13 which I love.

I bought a sd400 based 1/2 on dpreview.com and 1/2 on feedback from this forum. I use this case from LowePro (although it is often in a Timbuk2 messenger bag).

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/10/2005 00:44

Glad (in a way ) to see I am not the only one here... though my jaw almost hit the floor when I read your post! Any idea what happened to yours??? I still don't know what happened to mine as I was the only one who had used it. My fiancee hardly touches the camera and she would tell me if she did break it and no one else had access to the camera when it broke.

For those of you who are interested I have an entry on my blog at http://rene.conneriver.com/ as well as pictures and somewhat of a writeup in my gallery linked from my blog.

I hope it helps you Tony. I could probably do it myself in about 20 minutes now that I have already figured out how to strip my camera apart.

If you need any assistance feel free to email me.

Rene

P.S. I didn't disasseble mine until I had my new LCD in hand so I could make sure they matched as I was taking things apart. I also wouldn't have to worry about forgetting what went where when reassembling.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/10/2005 01:17

Actually, I already stripped my camera apart to make sure I could do it before ordering the LCD on Monday. Pretty straightforward stuff. But I'm glad that you have those photos up just in case I need a reference.

Regarding what happened: I've got a pretty good idea, but the thing is, I can tell from the fracture that it was stresses on the casing, and not an impact on the LCD itself, that caused the break. The fracture originated at the corner of the point next to where the ribbon cable tucks beneath the LCD. It was clearly the aluminum LCD frame pressing against the LCD glass that caused it. The origin point of the fracture isn't even visible from outside the camera.

Anyway, it happened at the same time I dropped my empeg case (the camera lives in the side pocket) and caused the hairline fracture in my empeg's VFD glass, that I mentioned in another thread. Thankfully, the empeg VFD is still working. The case hit in a completely different spot than where the camera lives, but I guess it was the sudden G forces that caused the stress on the casing that snapped the glass.

Oh, also, I find it amusing that the LCD in the camera is a Sony part.
Posted by: Roger

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/10/2005 05:56

Quote:
I can tell from the fracture that it was stresses on the casing, and not an impact on the LCD itself, that caused the break.

Same thing happened to my friend Paul's SD500. He ended up replacing the screen himself, too.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/10/2005 03:31

I sold my SD400 on Craigslist for $300 and am planning to buy the SD450. The 450 is SUPPOSED to have addressed the fragile screen issue, although I can't find anything official on that - just conversation on www.dpreview.com.

- Jon

BTW, I dunno why someone paid $300 for a camera that can be bought brand new from Dell for 263.00, but I'm not complaining...

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/10/2005 07:27

So they know there's an issue? Should I be asking for my LCD free when I call them on Monday?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 10/10/2005 03:15

Quote:
So they know there's an issue? Should I be asking for my LCD free when I call them on Monday?

I would. Never hurts to ask!

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 16:02

Argh. Got the replacement LCD, put it in really carefully, everything fits together perfectly, and the unit won't turn back on. Argh argh argh.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 17:24

Argh argh argh.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 17:34

From ShadowMan's gallery:

Quote:
The camera didn't turn on the first time and I panicked a little. I removed the memory card and battery and reseated both and she fired up!

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 17:57

First thing I looked for, and first thing I tried.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 17:57

argh argh argh
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 18:43

Is today "Talk like a Pirate Day"?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 18:45

No, it's scream and panic day, it seems. I'm completely stumped as to why this thing isn't working.
Posted by: lastdan

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 19:03

please don't find this insulting, but are you sure the battery is charged?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 12/10/2005 19:39

No insult taken, always good to check assumptions.

I have two batteries for the camera, both of which I took the opportunity to recharge during the time I waited for the replacement LCD. I have tried both batteries.

Incidentally, I'm not the only person to have this problem. Haven't gotten a reply back from him yet.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 13/10/2005 17:43

Wow, this sucks for you. Not to sound mean, but it really does suck.

Have you disassebled the camera again to see if there is something you missed? Mine didn't start the first time for some reason unknown to me but luckily it did the second time around. Maybe you have something just a little out of place inside. You are pretty competent with this kind of thing so taking it apart again shouldn't be too big a deal for you.

I hope Canon/Sony admits to a flaw in these cameras sometime and maybe gives us our money back for the screens and a little extra for our own labour!

Good luck, watching the thread closely.

Rene

P.S. Any pics of your Elph surgery?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 13/10/2005 18:30

Quote:
Have you disassebled the camera again to see if there is something you missed?

Only about a dozen times, now.

I even just now disassembled it a lot farther than I otherwise would have, just to see if something else had worked loose. Couldn't find anything.

It's behaving as though the sensor switch that detects an open battery hatch is malfunctioning. You know, not turning on because it thinks the battery hatch is open. But on the last disassembly, I got the thing apart enough to test this switch with the multitester, and it's working properly.

When you disassembled your camera, do you know if it'd turn on when the casing is open (as long as the battery hatch was still closed)?

If I knew that, then fiddling with it would be easier because I'd know whether or not I had to fully reassemble the thing before trying it.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 13/10/2005 18:32

Quote:
P.S. Any pics of your Elph surgery?

Yes, but since this was my only "good" digicam, I couldn't get any good pictures. Just some blurry ones with my crappy cell phone camera.

But I did figure out why the LCD broke and I've got pics of that. But I'm not going to post those until I've got the camera working again, because what I really need is a high-rez close up photo of the break point on the old LCD, and I need the high rez camera for that.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 10:31

No idea. I never tried anything with the camera apart. I was too nervous that I might break the unit. If you were to call Canon Tech Support and hopefully get a technician on the line then maybe they could point out something that you might have missed.

On mine if I hold the Set button while powering on the camera the screen lights up and shows the time. Did yours ever do that? Maybe a keypress combination might be out there to "Reset" the camera as well. Maybe a firmware flash might fix it...

I am at a total loss as to what else to suggest.

Good Luck
Rene
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 13:16

Perhaps the new LCD is DOA? What about fitting the old one back again to see if the camera behaves differently?

FWIW, this forum discusses replacing the LCD and there's photos available to registered users.

I also found this page with a fairly detailed step-by-step guide. Perhaps mentally going through the procedure again using this guide might help you come up with something previously overlooked?

Oh, and this is the (entire) FAQ from the aforementioned URL:

Quote:
1. My screen just shows white or gray. (E.g. white screen, white display). What did I do wrong?
A. The ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the circuit board was not inserted deeply enough. The end of the ribbon cable has a narrow portion, then a very small much wider portion with two holes at either end, then it narrows again. The very tip should be inserted into the "socket" deeply enough that the wider portion is pressed right up against the "socket." Physically, it cannot be inserted more deeply.
It may help you to use two wooden or plastic toothpicks, one in each of the small holes at the end of the cable, to push the cable into the socket.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 13:28

Quote:
If you were to call Canon Tech Support and hopefully get a technician on the line then maybe they could point out something that you might have missed.

I called, of course. They were very nice, but said a) he couldn't think of anything I might have missed, and b) wasn't supposed to be offering that kind of support anyway.

Quote:
On mine if I hold the Set button while powering on the camera the screen lights up and shows the time. Did yours ever do that?

Yup, mine did that. Tried it. No joy. Tried every combination of pressing and holding keys I could think of. No joy.

Quote:
Maybe a firmware flash might fix it...

Or some kind of an internal reset. If only I knew how.

Quote:
Perhaps the new LCD is DOA? What about fitting the old one back again to see if the camera behaves differently?

Good suggestion. It was among the first things I tried. The old LCD does not work and the camera does not boot with the old LCD in place, either. Oddly, the camera worked with the old LCD in place before I dismantled the camera and replaced the LCD. Now the camera does not work at all, regardless of which LCD I fit.

Quote:
The very tip should be inserted into the "socket" deeply enough that the wider portion is pressed right up against the "socket." Physically, it cannot be inserted more deeply.

Yes, I saw this page, and I have seated and reseated that cable multiple times and I'm sure I've done it right.

I'll check those other links you sent and see if they have additional information that I've missed. Thanks for looking up those links.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 13:35

Quote:
Or some kind of an internal reset. If only I knew how.

Disconnect the battery and any internal battery backup and let it sit for a bit? Won't do you any good for settings in flash, but if it is storing anything in volatile memory you should be able to clear it.

-Mike

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 15:29

The battery was disconnected for a long period of time (days). If I knew what internal stuff to disconnect, I would...

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:16

And my catch-22 is that I need a camera...

... any camera...

in less than six days.

I can't send this thing to Canon and get it back in that time frame.

And if I'm gonna buy a new camera, it's gonna be anything but a Canon.

Who's got suggestions of a unit that's exactly like this SD200, only not a Canon?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:20

These were in the running when I decided on Canon...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx9/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optios6.asp

Ok, they are later models than the ones I was considering, but that probably means they are "better"...?

- Jon

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:26

Those are looking promising. Researching. Thanks.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:31

Quote:
And my catch-22 is that I need a camera...

... any camera...

in less than six days.

I can't send this thing to Canon and get it back in that time frame.

And if I'm gonna buy a new camera, it's gonna be anything but a Canon.

Who's got suggestions of a unit that's exactly like this SD200, only not a Canon?

I hope Canon reads this thread!

Rene

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:45

They didn't seem to care when I tried calling them for help again today, and told them the same thing.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 16:53

It's too bad... and with such a seemingly widespread problem as this as well (not counting the failure to turn back on).

Rene

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 14/10/2005 19:53

The SD450, which is SUPPOSED to fix this issue is 304.15 at Dell with coupons right now...

I've read that it has a larger LCD (2.5 as opposed to a 2.0) but has FEWER pixels... WTF.

- Jon

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 17/10/2005 09:56

One more thing... in desperation... give the camera a thwap on your desk or something solid. Not too had, but just enough that you might jiggle something inside. At this point you don't seem to have anything to lose.

Rene

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 17/10/2005 14:05

I've gently thwapped it a couple of times, but I'm worried because the LCD screen is prone to cracking, and I'd hate to crack the new LCD screen. Sigh.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 17/10/2005 17:27

Put the bad LCD back in first?

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 17/10/2005 19:45

Yeah, I might try that.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 18/10/2005 07:41

Tried all sorts of stuff with the old LCD back in place. Nothing.

I think I'm going to get one of those Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9 units. Optical image stabilization on a camera that small is amazing. Must have it.

Now, to find a local seattle dealer. The camera store at the mall: Zip. Best Buy: Zilich. Still looking.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 18/10/2005 15:46

Quote:
Optical image stabilization on a camera that small is amazing. Must have it.

Make sure you understand the trade offs of IS vs Aperture. IS will only help prevent camera shake, it won't stop movement. It's perfect if you want to handhold a picture of a waterfall, but useless if you want to photograph someone running. That said, I love my new IS lens, it's amazing technology.

Matthew

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 18/10/2005 16:07

Yes, thanks, I very clearly understand the difference between fixing hand-shake and fast exposure.

In terms of fast exposure, that camera seems to have the same performance as the Canon units (grainy ISO400 shots).

I can't believe no one in Seattle has this thing and I gotta special order it.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 24/10/2005 20:49

So Tony, what happened? Any update?

- Jon

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 26/10/2005 03:02

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6364395-1.html?tag=cnetfd.li

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 27/10/2005 05:04

Quote:
So Tony, what happened? Any update?

Gosh darn web browser interface for replying to messages just ate my reply.

Me types much shorter version of reply.

Canon: Still no worky. Angry about it. Anyone want non-worky Canon? If you can fix it you can pay me a reasonable price.

Panasonic DMC-FX9. Me likey. Some stuff worse than canon, some stuff better. Low light and indoor light shots much more grainy, but image stabilization makes it all worth it, allowing me to capture a lot more pictures without flash than I otherwise would. Panasonic has no stitch-assist mode for panoramas, but turns out that you can get some pretty great panoramas by hand without stitch assist.

Took an entire set of pics and movies in Ohio because I got the DMC-FX9 just in the nick of time. Pictures are here.
Posted by: tman

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 27/10/2005 06:35

Quote:
Panasonic has no stitch-assist mode for panoramas, but turns out that you can get some pretty great panoramas by hand without stitch assist.

Can you lock the exposure settings without stitch assist?
Posted by: andy

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 27/10/2005 10:20

Quote:

Can you lock the exposure settings without stitch assist?

From looking at the DPReview page it looks like the answer is no. Unlike Eryl's Panasonic you can't manually set the shutter/apperture on the FX9.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 27/10/2005 15:23

Interesting. I kept meaning to find the exposure-lock feature in the manual, and never got around to looking for it. You just saved me an hour.

Thing is, I can adjust the exposure of each panel in the stitching software itself. Even when I was using the exposure-lock on the Canon, I needed to do this because I'd still get discontinuity of exposure between frames. So having to do that with this FX9 is not a big deal.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 02:15

Well fuck shit piss damn hell.

Fuck this right in the ear.

This has not been my year for LCDs.

What else, then, if not the Panasonics and not the Canons?

Looking for:
- Super small size
- Decent low-light shots
- Zoom
- SCREENS THAT DON'T FUCKING CRACK WITHIN A YEAR OF OWNERSHIP

Cocksuckers.
Posted by: larry818

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 02:59

Most eloquently put...

I've had no probs with the Nikon.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 03:01

Perhaps the problem lies more in how you are carrying it. I seem to recall that you put it in the front pocket of the empeg bag. While that's a convenient place, it's not padded in any way, and it's right next to a relatively heavy object to exert some force on it if set down roughly.

Perhaps look and see if you can find something with more protection. Crumpler is my bag brand of choice, but there are plenty of others.

Also, consider buying from costco or somewhere where you can get an extended waranty that will cover the screen. The trend in cameras is not stronger materials, it's cheaper materials combined with bigger screens, which is a great combination for ending up with a broken LCD.

Matthew
Posted by: larry818

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 03:09

We abuse the Nikon pretty badly, it's about 1.5 years old now. It even takes decent movies. I'm surprised at the quality for such a small camera.

It's a Coolpix 5900

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 03:47

Quote:
Perhaps the problem lies more in how you are carrying it.

Oh, I'm certain that was it.

In this case, I happened to have it in the same pocket with my key-wallet. The key-wallet is about the same size and shape as the camera. They fit nicely against each other there in my pocket.

The problem is that the key-wallet bulges in the middle, and the camera's LCD was facing the bulge. I played some motion driving simulator games at GameWorks today, and I'm certain it broke when the game tilted to the right and I slid against the side of the game and the key wallet's central bulge pushed up against the center of the LCD and caused it to flex and crack.

If i'd merely carried it turned round the other way, or had the foresight to put it in the other pocket, I would have had no grief today.

But GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. COME THE FUCK ON. This shit is supposed to be carried in a pocket. WHY ELSE WOULD THEY MAKE THEM SO FUCKING SMALL? THE WHOLE REASON TO BUY A CAMERA THIS SMALL IS TO CARRY IT IN YOUR POCKET.

If I was gonna put the thing in a pelican case I would have bought a big fucking camera.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 03:49

I've heard that Canon changed the design of their SD line post SD400. The SD450, SD600, SD630, & SD550 all are SUPPOSED to have the redesigned, stronger screen design. I can't find any actual documentation on that, but I've read it on dpreview and other forums like it.

I now am using the SD600, and love it. Bought it from Costco in case I ever need/want to return it...

- Jon
Posted by: Dignan

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 10:28

Quote:
I've heard that Canon changed the design of their SD line post SD400. The SD450, SD600, SD630, & SD550 all are SUPPOSED to have the redesigned, stronger screen design.

I wouldn't doubt it. I have the SD630 and if this screen weren't designed to be strong, I would have broken it five times over by now. It's the biggest screen I've ever seen on a digital camera.

Tony - I know you're pissed about having to replace the camera, and sure, these things are meant to be carried in your pocket, but I think it's your choice as to whether you carry something else in your pocket along with it.

I carry my SD630 in a pouch clipped to my belt. It's actually the case that came with my Treo 600, and works pretty well.
Posted by: robricc

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 11:06

I have been using a Pentax Optio S5z for the past few months after my Powershot S400 became unreliable. It's extremely lightweight and takes great shots considering its cost and size. I bought it from buydig.com for $152. The price has gone up since then, but it's still an incredible deal.

The only possible downside to the S5z is that it doesn't have a view finder. The screen is absolutely huge though and is protected by plastic. One thing it has that the Panasonics usually lack is the orange AF helper lamp (like the Canons also have). I find that to be pretty important for macros. The battery that comes with the camera is a little weak. It's rated for 150 shots, but even that is too little. I got a higher capacity one off ebay for $11 and it was well worth it. I can point out the seller if you're interested.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 07/08/2006 13:06

Yeah! Why can't they just use that unbreakable glass? Also, frictionless buttons would be nice.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 02:23

Quote:
SCREENS THAT DON'T FUCKING CRACK WITHIN A YEAR OF OWNERSHIP

My Olympus 3030 zoom has a solid polycarbonate shield over the lcd, but then it's not exactly a pocket camera either.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 04:16

It's funny, the Panasonic's screen felt so very solid to me the entire time I owned it. It felt like it was a very hard plastic cover.

Then, after it broke, I noticed it was very soft and flexible.

Turns out, the "hardness" it seemed to have was only because the plastic cover was actually a flexible cover directly against the VFD glass. So the slightest pressure against the center of that flexible plastic cover, and... SNAP.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 11:57

I'm looking for a better chicken.

In this case, I happened to have my egg for breakfast this morning in my back pocket with my chinese throwing stars. The chinese throwing stars are about the same size and shape as the egg. They fit nicely against each other there in my pocket.

The problem is that the chinese throwing stars have sharp edges, and the egg's shell was facing the edges. I got in my car to drive to work today, and I'm certain it broke when my butt tilted to the right and I slid against the side of the seat and the chinese throwing stars' edges pushed up against the center of the egg shell and caused it to flex and crack.

If i'd merely carried it in a proper egg container, or had the foresight to hard boil it, I would have had no grief today.

But GIVE ME A #%@&ING BREAK. COME THE #%@& ON. This &#!% looks like it's made to be carried in a pocket. WHY ELSE WOULD THEY MAKE THEM SO #%@&ING SMALL? THE WHOLE REASON TO BUY AN EGG THIS SMALL IS TO CARRY IT IN YOUR POCKET.

If I was gonna put the thing in an egg crate I would have bought a whole #%@&ing chicken.

Edited per jbjorgen's request -wfaulk
Posted by: mlord

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 12:15

Both your post and Tony's original were hilarious reads! Keep it coming, guys!

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 12:48

I don't say this much, but:

LOL

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 18:34

Cute parody, thanks.

Doesn't refute my claim that a pocket-sized camera (one that's specifically marketed as being such) should tolerate being carried in a pocket.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 08/08/2006 19:03

Well it can be carried in your pocket - but if it gets pressure from a metal object (keys) then the chances are it will break. I think you were unlucky with the Canon as it just seemed to break for no reason. This one, however...

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 02:01

The keys were inside a leather key-wallet. They weren't a hard metal object, it was the pressure of the lump of leather against the screen that snapped it.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 06:00

Quote:
The keys were inside a leather key-wallet. They weren't a hard metal object, it was the pressure of the lump of leather against the screen that snapped it.

You're complaining that when you press hard against an object made of glass that it breaks???

The cameras with a hard transparent plastic piece over the actual LCD are marginally better but it isn't 100% protection. I know somebody with an Olympus that has that and they still managed to crack the plastic which cracked the LCD underneath.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 06:07

Quote:
You're complaining that when you press hard against an object made of glass that it breaks???

No, I'm complaining that an object designed to be carried in a pocket has only a flimsy piece of flexible plastic to protect its glass.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 10:10

Quote:
Quote:

No, I'm complaining that an object designed to be carried in a pocket has only a flimsy piece of flexible plastic to protect its glass.

Don't carry it with anything else in your pocket? If it was a keyring camera then yes, I'd expect it to survive in there with your keys & random junk but not otherwise.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 12:34

Quote:

Yeah. They should be using transparent aluminum. Duh.

Seriously, Tony, what could they possibly do? Put bulletproof glass over it? Then it wouldn't be pocket-sized anymore, since bulletproof glass is like 4" thick. Anything else non-flexible is going to be opaque. If you feel the need to carry it in your pocket with hard things pressing up against it, get a hard case for it.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 12:41

Quote:
transparent aluminum

Holy shit
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 14:05

Quote:
The method of polishing has a substantial effect on the armor's impact resistance.

Beneficial or not?
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 14:06

Quote:
Lieutenant La Monica said experimenting with the polishing process has proven beneficial.

"We found that by polishing it a certain way, we increased the strength of the material by two-fold," he said.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 09/08/2006 19:49

Well, I can successfully dismantle and reassemble the camera, broken LCD and all, and it's a much easier job than the Canon was. After putting it back together, the camera still turns on, unlike the Canon. So I've ordered the LCD. We'll see if this works. I have to wait about two months for the part to arrive, argh.

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 20/08/2006 03:55

New LCD assembly came. Installed without a hitch. Works fine. PHEW.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: My Canon SD500 LCD Broke... - 20/08/2006 07:48

Well done!

Now... keep it in a pocket on its own!