Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question

Posted by: Robotic

Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 17:49

Hi all-
I began with Mozilla at work and really got used to it. I installed FireFox at home to see the differences.
One of the things I got used to with Mozilla that I can't seem to replicate in FireFox is using the address field as a google search field.
That is- start typing in the address field and one of the options in the drop down list is a google search for what I've just typed. Nice. Love it. Want it in FireFox.

Oh- one more thing-
Page searching for text. In Mozilla, anytime I just start typing (not entering data to a field) the page in the browser is scanned for the word I'm typing out. Easy. Nice. Handy.
In FireFox, I have to get a 'Find text in page' dialog up before I can start the search (and press 'enter' after typing in the search field). Yuck. Cumbersome.

I'd go all FireFox if I could easily mimick the things I like about Mozilla. (all I'm after is the browser, anyways) Any ideas?

If it matters- I'm running Win2k at work and WinME at home.
Thanks in advance- Stew
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:22

Preferences->Advanced->Accessibility->Begin finding when you begin typing

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:27

I know what you're talking about with respect to the search entry in the URL bar list, but I don't know any way to replicate it with Firefox. However, I can suggest this:

Go to Google (or whatever search engine you like) and right-click in the text entry field. Select "Add a Keyword for this search". It'll pop up a dialog that asks you to enter a keyword and a name. Enter an appropriate name (it's just a descriptor) and then enter a short keyword. (I use "g".) Then you can type into the URL bar "g search items" and hit return and it'll perform that search for you. I find that even easier than the thing you're describing.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:29

Try just typing your search into the address bar and pressing enter. Mine is setup (don't remember what I did) to search google if no valid URL is present.
Posted by: lastdan

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:32

my understanding is that by default if you type into the address bar it will be treated like a 'I'm feeling lucky' google search. I'm dang near sure of it.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:36

Ahh, maybe that's it. I don't actually ever search that way. I hit alt-d shift-tab to get to the search bar.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:42

Yeah, that's true. I forgot because I hate that. I don't want a search when I mistype a domain name. But now I can't remember where I changed it.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's the option keyword.enabled.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:48

Amen, I hate that too. In fact, when I get anything other than 404 I know I have been infected by adware.

If only they'd make ctrl-enter append the www. and .com I'd be so frickin thrilled. On IE, I used to type google ctrl-enter and I was there. Loved that.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:54

Works that way for me.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 18:56

Eventually, but it takes like 20 seconds.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:01

Uh, for me, if I type "google" and just hit enter, it tries a bunch of different things and eventually gets to www.google.com. If I type "google" and hit Ctrl-Enter, it immediately goes to www.google.com.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:10

REALLY?! Mine definitely does not. Time to upgrade, methinks.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:31

Thanks everyone!
There's a lot more about FireFox that I should learn. This is great stuff!

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:38

I believe shift-enter does www. and .org
I don't have the browser on this machine, so I can't test.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:41

In Firefox
/ to find text on the page
' to find links on the page

I just wish that when I search for link that I could hit something to find the next match. If you hit enter it opens the link. Yes I can use the mouse to click find next but then I have to take my hand off the keyboard.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 19:48

Control-G works for me.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 20:03

Thanks!!!!!!
Posted by: ricin

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 20:04

Ctrl-K goes directly to the search bar.
Ctrl-L (and Alt-D*) go to the location bar.

*I'm trying to break the habit of using Alt-D because some sites use that as a shortcut. I.e. Mediawiki sites use it for "Delete" and that can be highly annoying. :/
Posted by: music

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 02/12/2005 22:15

Quote:
One of the things I got used to with Mozilla that I can't seem to replicate in FireFox is using the address field as a google search field.

In my version of Firefox, you can type "google whatever" into the address bar to get a Google search.

You can also type "goto whatever" to get a Google "I feel lucky" search.

You can also customize this; for example, mine is set up so I can do "imdb whatever" to get an imdb search (movies and actors). (Because it really sucks if I ever have to try to view the IMDB front page over dialup. Best to bypass that nonsense and just jump directly to the good stuff.)
Posted by: Roger

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 08:21

Quote:
On IE, I used to type google ctrl-enter and I was there.

Personally, I just have a google search box at the bottom of my browser home page, which otherwise contains a bunch of links to stuff I visit frequently.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 18:01

Let me add a couple of Firefox questions of my own:
  • Is it possible to add or change keyboard shortcuts?
  • Is it possible to make shift-click open the link in new tab (as opposed to new window)? Selecting 'Force links that open new windows to open in new tab' doesn't do this.
    (Edit: ah, ctrl-click does that; OK)
  • Can new tabs be made to open next to the current one, rather than at the end, at the rightmost position?
  • How to make bookmark links open in a new tab (other than right-clicking and selecting the appropriate option there)?
    (Edit: ctrl-click again! You can see I am a Firefox newbie... )

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 18:20

You might be interested in the Tabbrowser Extensions extension. The questions you ask are dealt with better by it than by the default answers you list, IMO. Check it out.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 18:53

I'm not aware of a user interface to change keyboard accelerators, but if you're compelled to do it, you might check out this page about keyboard accelerators in extensions. You could probably put something together with it.

Edit: Nevermind. Here's the Keyconfig Extension.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 21:54

Ah, more interesting stuff to keep me from doing Real Work . Thanks, Bitt!

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 03/12/2005 23:01

Middle clicking a link opens in new tab. Middle clicking a tab closes that tab.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 04/12/2005 01:46

Anyone know a way to make the middle click open a new window instead of a tab. I don't like the tabs.
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 04/12/2005 22:24

Multiple windows? You're crazy. But the easiest way to do that is to leverage one of the tabbrowser config extensions where you choose the option between new window or new tab.

With the radial context extension, it's right-click-drag-left.

--Nathan

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 05/12/2005 23:36

Also found this page while surfing through the extensions list:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
Haven't tried any of it, though.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 05/12/2005 23:47

Quote:

middlemouse. openNewWindow

Determines behavior of middlemouse.contentLoadURL when that preference is true.
True (default): Open links that are middle-clicked in a new window

So do they really mean new tab not new window ?
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 06/12/2005 03:05

Quote:
Quote:

middlemouse. openNewWindow

Determines behavior of middlemouse.contentLoadURL when that preference is true.
True (default): Open links that are middle-clicked in a new window

So do they really mean new tab not new window ?

I'd expect... New window, unless one of the other options that demand new windows be opened in tabs is also set.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 06/12/2005 10:11

I didn't see any options for tabs and this is one by default.

Re: Quick Mozilla/Firefox Question - 06/12/2005 13:38

Honestly, I believe that that just turns the middle-click feature on and off, regardless of the details. I've got too many extensions about tabs to check it well, ATM, though.