What are you afraid of???

Posted by: Ladmo

What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 14:32

Everytime I get on the board here, I notice that there are more anoym. users than users that are identified. Right now, there are no reg users except for myself but 40 'hiding' users. Man! I did not know that everyone was so damn important that they were afriad to be identified... and I don't think that there are always 40 non registered users checking out the board!
What is everyone's trip with hiding? What is it that I do not understand?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 15:16

They might be Bots and Spiders, possibly.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 16:07

Yeah, the current "person" is either an extremely fast reader or a bot.

Matthew
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 16:08

Which means, soon enough "what are you afraid of" on google will point right to this thread.

Matthew
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 16:09

Oh, I thought this was going to be a different kind of thread. Then my answer would be women with moustaches...

Bruno
Posted by: DWallach

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 16:44

Quote:
Then my answer would be women with moustaches...

Changing stinky diapers.
Posted by: visuvius

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 18:34

Rottweilers scare the hell out of me.
Posted by: Tim

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 18:36

"I'm afraid of spiders, coach."
Posted by: eliceo

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 18:54

im just a lurker
Posted by: time

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 20:14

Perhaps nothing. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to login...Funny though, I've been puzzling about the same thing of late.
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 20:36

Quote:
Everytime I get on the board here, I notice that there are more anoym. users than users that are identified. Right now, there are no reg users except for myself but 40 'hiding' users. Man! I did not know that everyone was so damn important that they were afriad to be identified... and I don't think that there are always 40 non registered users checking out the board!
What is everyone's trip with hiding? What is it that I do not understand?

I don't see why it's a big deal, or why you even bring it up. It's hardly a feature to be able to see who's reading a web page at any particular moment.

--Nathan
Posted by: drakino

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 22:14

That is not people hiding. That is people who are reading without being logged in. In most cases they are spiders from Google, Yahoo or others indexing the site. They use a ton of different hosts to do it, and right now it looks like it is two different bots scanning. I can tell from their pretty close IP ranges.

I'm beginning to think this needs to go into the board FAQ, it seems to come up every 6 months or so.
Posted by: lectric

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 22:22

I like the feature when I post a question. It's nice to see if/when people are reading it. It's even nicer to see that they are responding right after they read it. That means if I hang on a few more minutes, I may have an answer.
Posted by: lectric

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 25/03/2006 22:29

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, if they were "hidden" identities, they simply wouldn't show up. Not even as anonymous.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 26/03/2006 21:38

ask'd
But were it the thread that I expected, I'd say:
I'm afraid of surprise. "Scary movies" nearly give me multiple heart attacks. If you jump out from behind a corner to scare me, I'll hit you so fast you'll never see it coming; simply by reflex.
Posted by: tman

Re: What are you afraid of??? - 27/03/2006 06:29

Quote:
ask'd
But were it the thread that I expected, I'd say:
I'm afraid of surprise. "Scary movies" nearly give me multiple heart attacks. If you jump out from behind a corner to scare me, I'll hit you so fast you'll never see it coming; simply by reflex.

Boo! *duck*