New 13" Macbook

Posted by: sein

New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 11:43

Maaan, that is so tempting! I knew I should have eBay'd my 12" Powerbook last week. I want it, a Black one.

Link
Posted by: peter

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 11:56

Quote:
I want it, a Black one.

Everyone says that. That'll be why the black one costs £60 more than the white one even after the bigger disk is taken into account...

Peter
Posted by: DWallach

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 14:35

5.2 pounds. Yawn. Call me when Apple has something under 4 pounds.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 14:47

Really. All the drawbacks of being small without any of those pesky benefits.
Posted by: drakino

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 15:00

$150 extra here in the US for the black version. Really strange, since the black iPods don't carry a premium price tag.

Oh well, ordering a 1.83 white one anyhow for my sister. Should be a great little system for school when she starts college in the fall.

Also, the MacBook Pros saw a few upgrades too. They now have a glossy screen option, and the 15 inch ones were bumped to 2.0 on the low end and 2.16 on the high end. Good to see Apple is going to keep their portable lines competitive with the rest of the industry with the same chips.
Posted by: mlord

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 15:47

Quote:
5.2 pounds. Yawn. Call me when Apple has something under 4 pounds.

Yawn.. and call me when they've got something around a kilogram or so (~2.5 pounds). (still happy with the Dell X1 here)

But seriously, these look like great machines! Go Apple Go!
Posted by: andym

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 16:02

Quote:
Maaan, that is so tempting!

Me likey!!!

Had my iBook for 18 months now..... Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 16:07

Quote:
Had my iBook for 18 months now..... Maybe it's time for an upgrade?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. (I'm trying to justify a MBP, and have had my PB for 15 months)

Matthew
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 18:21

I'd like to know when they have something at -10lbs. I need a lighter step and anything to offset the weight of the pack full of other crap.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 20:37

Helium apparently can hoist 1g per liter. Ten pounds is 4.5kg, so you'd need 4.5K liters of helium. That's roughly speaking a balloon two meters in diameter. We could shrink that down by using hydrogen, of course, which could double as a fuel source for your laptop. I hope you don't smoke.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: New 13" Macbook - 16/05/2006 23:05

Mac-Zeppelin? Oh the humanity...
Posted by: tonyc

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 01:52

Quote:
Mac-Zeppelin? Oh the humanity...

The way some of them bad boys have been overheating, maybe not so far-fetched. Mine gets pretty damn hot when doing a long software build, but no overheating yet. *knock on aluminum*
Posted by: msaeger

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 02:14

Exactly ! I wan't 2lbs with no built in cdrom.
Posted by: drakino

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 03:20

First impressions, the keyboard is strange. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it feels very different then my MacBook Pro. Also the touchpad has a slightly rough surface, instead of the really smooth surface on the MBP. The magnetic latch is pretty cool. The screen is very nice looking, a very good upgrade over what I saw on the iBooks. Very bright, crisp and a decent resolution for this size.

They are selling pretty quickly too it seems. The local Apple store here in Austin sold me their last 1.83 unit, and tons of people were crowded around the show models contemplating one. Looks like a great hit for Apple.

Now to see what they do for the PowerMacs. I'm sure Apple can't wait for Intel to release the Core 2 chips.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 11:08

Despite reading a number of people write/complain about the Mac's premium pricing, I think they're priced very respectably. Configuring a name-brand Windows box with similar specs can give you a higher price in some cases. It's a lot easier to compare apples to apples now but for some reason those trying to make a point feel fine ignoring things like DVI, Firewire, the price of XP Pro and sometimes even comparing against a Celeron-equipped PC.

It's a shame they don't have any commercials out right now that actually feature their products. I don't know how well the stand-up comedic ones will do to bring over people who would not otherwise buy a Mac instead of something like a Dell.

Bruno

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 16:29

Quote:
Maaan, that is so tempting! I knew I should have eBay'd my 12" Powerbook last week. I want it, a Black one.

I just did it... a 1.87GHz White Macbook with 1GB RAM should be here in a few days. I can't wait!

My 12" Powerbook has served me well for 3 years. Hopefully this little Intel number will go a bit longer.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 20:42

I'm a mac virgin with questions...

How hard is it to move from windows to Mac? (I'll admit I'm terrified!)

Are MS Office files interchangable between Win and Mac versions?

I have more but I'll just bore everyone.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 20:53

Quote:

Pretty easy. The only differences are minor.

Biggest thing to get used to is the keys for text editing. The "Home" and "End" keys on the mac keyboard are completely useless, and everything you expect to do with the Alt and Control keys is totally backwards from what you're used to in Windows. That's really all that gives me trouble.

Please have a look here for a day-by-day account of a Windows user (me) getting used to a mac mini.

Quote:

Yes. More or less.

I didn't buy MS Office for the mac, instead preferring to try one of the OpenOffice ports. I am unhappy about this, as nothing opens .DOC files properly on the Mac including all the images except for real live MS Office itself. A simple document file with one picture in the corner, for example, doesn't open correctly in OpenOffice (the picture is missing). So if Office file interchangeability is important, then definitely buy MS Office for the mac, too.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 17/05/2006 20:59

Quote:

Easy. As long as learning something new doesn't fill you with dread. Of course, if it does, you've got bigger problems.
Quote:

Yes. I've never had a problem. If you make your living editing complex documents where the layout is paramount, it might be a problem, but I've never encountered any dificulties.
Quote:

I have more but I'll just bore everyone.

Feel free. With a intel mac running parallels there just aren't any excuses. The thing I miss the most is mp3 tag studio, but I'm getting used to media rage.

Matthew

Re: New 13" Macbook - 18/05/2006 19:22

Quote:
If you make your living editing complex documents where the layout is paramount, it might be a problem

If that's the case, his bigger problem is that he's using MS Office to do it.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 11:13

Quote:
his bigger problem is that he's using MS Office to do it.

Amen. Two words for why Word sucks for complex layouts: text reflow.

-Zeke
Posted by: tahir

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 12:29

Quote:
preferring to try one of the OpenOffice ports. I am unhappy about this, as nothing opens .DOC files properly on the Mac including all the images except for real live MS Office itself. A simple document file with one picture in the corner, for example, doesn't open correctly in OpenOffice (the picture is missing).

Yeah, same here, and the main reason why I won't be changing our network over to OpenOffice when we upgrade from NT4.0. I prefer the feel of OpenOffice but I've had plenty of .docs that don't display all the elements correctly in it.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:25

Quote:
but I've had plenty of .docs that don't display all the elements correctly in it.

And searching through their FAQs and Wikis doesn't seem to indicate that they even know this is a problem...

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:28

Ok so looks like Office for both. I just use Office because the rest of the world does! Not for any fancy stuff.

I suppose I'm wondering "how much would I need to run back to the PC for certain tasks". Silly things like TmpgEnc and MSN Messenger etc.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:36

Quote:
Silly things like TmpgEnc and MSN Messenger etc.

MSN Messenger is handled nicely by any number of applications for the Mac. I use Adium, for example, and it works quite well.

I don't know much about video encoding, but I'm sure there's a similar solution on the Mac.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:41

I'm also totally out of date with laptop technology. How does 2Ghz compare to my Dell desktop which is a P4 2.4Ghz? Or my Dell Notebook (x300) with a Pentium M 1.7?
Posted by: tahir

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:43

Quote:
I just use Office because the rest of the world does! Not for any fancy stuff.

Same here, only becomes an issue if someone has perhaps mailed you a .doc that includes contact details as an image which isn't displayed. Docs created in OO appear to be fine in MS Word.

Got to be more than just me and Tony with that issue?

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 14:47

Quote:
I suppose I'm wondering "how much would I need to run back to the PC for certain tasks". Silly things like TmpgEnc and MSN Messenger etc.

Adium will supper MSN messenger, I'm fairly sure. TmpgEnc I'm not so sure about, as I've never used it. I use ffmpeg on a linux server for my video encoding needs, but they're a specific, daily scripted kind of thing. FFmpeg would run on osx, along with just about any other command line unix program. If you're looking to transcode DVDs, I'm sure it's possible.

I havn't encountered a "normal computing need" that can't be done on a mac. If you insist that email has to be read in eudora, then you might have a problem. If your company insists you run lotus notes, then you might have a problem. If there aren't any specific applications you have to have, and you just want to accomplish tasks, the likelyhood that you can find a task that can't be accomplished is minimal.

Matthew
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 15:09

Quote:
call me when they've got something around a kilogram or so (~2.5 pounds). (still happy with the Dell X1 here)

Don't forget the Lenovo X41 convertible tablets. I'm still happy with my 7 of those at work; so are all my users!

Oh, and they're black like the Mac, so that makes them cool, right?

(woah, suddenly Pooh-Bah status. since I've crossed 1600 posts without even noticing? cool)

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 20:51

Quote:
TmpgEnc

I don't know if this is relevant to what you're doing, but I've started using the Mac exclusively for putting AVIs onto DVDs. Once you get the hang of iDVD, it works great, and it's a one-step process, unlike the traditional hundred steps I was using before trying to do it with free software on the PC.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 21:14

I've got one of those Lenovo X41 tablets, and it's good but has several annoying problems.
- Suspend works. Hibernate seems broken.

- My sysadm people spent a week trying to get rid of the stupid "emergency restore" partition and ended up only getting me that partition back, empty, as a D: drive rather than getting me one large partition.

- If the CPU is slammed, the mouse motion is jerky and unpredictable.

- With the default 512MB of RAM, it was unusable. With 1.5GB, it's usable, but a whole lot of that memory is being wasted by all of the IBM cruft.

If I could run OS X on my X41 tablet, I'd be thrilled. If Apple shipped a product with similar hardware specs and OS X worked well as a tablet system, I'd be strongly tempted to jump ship.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 19/05/2006 22:13

All of your problems (aside from the OS) seem fixable with a reformat and reinstall. Should be standard procedure when you get a new windows computer. I thought dell was the worst until I sat down in front of a new Hewlet Paqard, that was a new low. The people who create the factory images will be among the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Matthew

Re: New 13" Macbook - 20/05/2006 01:18

Quote:
I'm also totally out of date with laptop technology. How does 2Ghz compare to my Dell desktop which is a P4 2.4Ghz?

The 2GHz P-M is (considerably) faster than the P4-2.4Ghz, but the notebook hard drive is undoubtedly considerably slower. The 2GHz Duo gives you about 1.5X that (P-M) again.

Quote:
Or my Dell Notebook (x300) with a Pentium M 1.7?
Well obviously that one is slower than the 2GHz one, but it should be slightly quicker than the P4 2.4GHz.

Cheers
Posted by: loren

Re: New 13" Macbook - 20/05/2006 02:11

Quote:
I havn't encountered a "normal computing need" that can't be done on a mac. If you insist that email has to be read in eudora, then you might have a problem. If your company insists you run lotus notes, then you might have a problem. If there aren't any specific applications you have to have, and you just want to accomplish tasks, the likelyhood that you can find a task that can't be accomplished is minimal.

I'll one up ya and say I have found that not only are there not many normal computing needs that can't be done on a mac, MOST if not all of them can be done better. I've found the quality of software is heads and shoulders above pretty much everything I use on the PC. It may take a month or so more for a mac version of some random task filling app to come out, but once it does you can bet it will be easier to use and better written. MP3TagStudio is the one I can't find a match for, but it's interface was super clunky, though incredibly utilitarian. I honestly haven't looked too hard though.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 20/05/2006 02:48

iTunes has always had better tag editing than typical MP3 software for WIndows used to have. So you'll find a severe lack of stand-alone tag editors for Mac OS. I've searched a few times (though not recently) for something as good as Tag & Rename and Dr.Tag (I bought and use both for Windows). Those two programs offer a lot more beyond empty fields within which to type.

I suppose that's one more thing I'll use a virtualized copy of Windows for when I get the new MBP. It should easily beat using VNC.

Bruno.
Posted by: Cris

Re: New 13" Macbook - 23/05/2006 17:14

Just placed my order. White 2.0, 1gb, 80gb.

I didn't like the look of some of the black ones I have seen on the net, and I like having to pay a premium even less!

What was really great is I qualified for their educational discount. Even though I work full time for openreach (BT) I study for a degree with a Uni in London in my spare time and have a student card etc... this discount was much better that the discount I got though BT and has saved my quite a chunk! PM me if you want to know how much.

They are doing 6 months 0% finance until the end of May too. I don't think deals get much better than that from Apple?

Cheers

Cris.

PS - Anyone want a G4 mini, 512Mb, 80Gb, BT (No WiFi)? Open to offers.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 25/05/2006 08:01

k, well my MacBook arrived this morning! First impressions are, I like the magnetic latches, I like the keyboard, I would have never known that it weighs more than my Powerbook, and it is lovely and slim. I love the extra width over the 12", it really is the right size. Can't pass judgement on the screen yet, it is still charging - but as it is, I generally like X-Bright and other 'reflective' screens a lot.

It appears my power adapter has been used before, the cord is all wrapped in a very non-Apple fashion, and there are a couple of small black marks there. It was a BTO, so maybe they used it for testing. I don't care that much.

Slightly annoying is a cosmetic manufacturing defect. There is a bulge above the F10 key where the vents are. It doesn't affect the lid opening or closing, but still mildly irritating.

Lame Treo pic:
Posted by: tman

Re: New 13" Macbook - 25/05/2006 09:04

Quote:
Slightly annoying is a cosmetic manufacturing defect. There is a bulge above the F10 key where the vents are. It doesn't affect the lid opening or closing, but still mildly irritating.

It is a very visible and obvious defect so I'd take it back. You're going to be staring at that forever if you don't...

Re: New 13" Macbook - 25/05/2006 09:31

Yes, plus the power adapter situation. I'd not be happy. Back it goes I'm afraid...
Posted by: sn00p

Re: New 13" Macbook - 25/05/2006 09:54

Am I the only here who thinks "Spectrum 48K" everytime I see a picture of the keyboard?!
Posted by: Taym

Re: New 13" Macbook - 25/05/2006 13:31

Quote:
Am I the only here who thinks "Spectrum 48K" everytime I see a picture of the keyboard?!

No, you're not

If I had a black one I would put colored stripes on one corner!
Posted by: petteri

Anti-virus for mac? - 25/05/2006 23:52

Ok, grabbed one of these for SWMBO. Both of us are complete MAC newbies. What sort of anti-virus should be installed on a MAC? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 00:37

Quote:

I was in an Apple store today for the first time in a while. The MacBook keyboard is a bad joke and, for that reason alone, I'd never get one. And you'd think that, for all the pro photographers who use Apples, you'd think they'd have a way you could put a CF card into the laptop without needing an external Firewire/USB card reader.

Re: Anti-virus for mac? - 26/05/2006 04:27

Quote:
What sort of anti-virus should be installed on a MAC? Any recommendations?

I wouldn't bother with anything to be honest. Windows viruses don't effect the Mac, and there are very few viruses written for the mac. I am not sure if I know anyone with a mac who runs antivirus software.

But, if you install windows on it (using bootcamp) you will need some for of virus protection for the windows side, just as you would for any other windows install.

Enjoy your new mac

Cheers

Cris.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 06:04

Quote:
you'd think they'd have a way you could put a CF card into the laptop without needing an external Firewire/USB card reader.

You'd think. But then you'd pretty much be wrong even with a powerbook. A PCMCIA card adapter is horribly slow and brings the computer to a crawl (same with a windows computer too). While cardbus readers are available, it took them six months to support tiger, and as it is now the drivers are horribly buggy to the point that they give the machine a kernel panic one in five times you take it out even when properly dismounted. I've nearly tossed mine out the window countless times now. I'd hate to carry a USB/firewire reader, but it's not the expresscard slot that would be driving me to it.

Matthew

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 07:50

Quote:
The MacBook keyboard is a bad joke

I did a little comparison at home with my old 12" Powerbook, my sisters G4 iBook and my new Macbook. The Powerbook keyboard is definately better (I rate it 5/5), the iBook keyboard is definately worse (3/5). The Macbook gets a solid 4/5. Sure, it could be better - but it is by no means 'bad' or unusable. My typing speed is about the same on my Macbook as it is on the Powerbook, accuracy will probably be better when I am more used to it - the keys are spread out a little bit more instead of butted up together.

It is streets ahead of the mush that is the iBook.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 08:06

Quote:
It is a very visible and obvious defect so I'd take it back. You're going to be staring at that forever if you don't...

A little update on that. I emailed Applecare a photo of the bulge, and they called me back in about 30 seconds. They offered to replace it, refund it or give a gesture of goodwill. The bulge didn't bother me so much, it looks worse in the photo than in real life. We are talking about < 1mm. I took the gesture of goodwill, and a nice big fat amount has gone back to my card.

Rock on.

As for the marks on the power adapter, they were tiny and rubbed off. Then I stepped on the cable a few minutes later and put some marks on it of my own. Meh.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 11:18

You can probably push most of that dent out yourself as well. If it doesn't make it worse, it'll probably make it better. I know, perhaps not too helpful, but I'd try if it were my machine.

I can say one thing for sure, I think Apple are more helpful and offer better support in the US than they do in Canada.

Since there are so many people picking up Mac lately let me reiterate a warning I made last year. Unless you own your own Apple Authorized dealership, or you or a friend do your own Apple Authorized repairs, do not take your computer for repair to any place than a real Apple Store if at all possible. In the US I believe you may also have a chance to return the system by mail directly to Apple if there's no store in close proximity. I had nothing but repeated horrible experiences last year and the year before with third-party Authorized facilities. So much so that the only original parts on my machine are the LCD and its attached case along with the CD-ROM. Everything else has been replaced at least twice. YMMV.

Even if the problem is an easy one to diagnose/fix (internal hardware), the G4 Powerbook is obviously too tricky to open and put back together again for most people and invariably you'll end up with a machine that does not look like it did when you first bought it. Mine was mangled six ways from Sunday.

Bruno
Posted by: andym

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 21:56

Quote:
It is streets ahead of the mush that is the iBook.

I don't know which iBooks you've used but I've been really happy with the one on mine. I've not used a Macbook yet but those inital shots of the keyboard have put me right off. Assuming they have one at the apple shop I'll probably have a look next week. But I think I'll probably go for the Pro.

Re: New 13" Macbook - 26/05/2006 23:09

For grins, I stopped into a nearby Sonystyle store and played with their sub-3 pound notebook (with a forgettable name, built-in Cingular EDGE service, and a wide-aspect 12" screen), and found that keyboard to also be unusable. Maybe I've just had good luck, but all my previous laptops and my present IBM/Lenovo X41 Tablet all have wonderful keyboards.
Posted by: frog51

Definite reason to get a mac book - 27/05/2006 07:14

http://blog.medallia.com/2006/05/smacbook_pro.html

Brilliant!

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 27/05/2006 11:23

Quote:
Brilliant!

Better than Light Sabers, too!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 27/05/2006 12:37

Very neat. They should make it so you can map whatever buttons you want to the motion sensor then you could so something like forward and back in a webbrowser.

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 30/05/2006 03:43

I just showed that video to a friend, and he says the motion sensor works more than just for smacks. Supposedly it's got a diagnostic program showing you tilting the notebook and showing the onscreen notebook tilting. So? I say control Marble Blast Gold that way.

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 30/05/2006 04:37

Amit Singh got most of that stuff working. See here. If you look at the Motion-HID page there are videoclips of playing games and scrolling in Safari (and Google Maps).

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 30/05/2006 22:56

Quote:
Amit Singh got most of that stuff working. See here. If you look at the Motion-HID page there are videoclips of playing games and scrolling in Safari (and Google Maps).

Ah yes! Exactly what I was talking about.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Definite reason to get a mac book - 31/05/2006 00:52

Quote:
Quote:

Ah yes! Exactly what I was talking about.

Neat video, did you notice, a couple of times the ball seemed to be rolling uphill.

Delay in shipping - 05/06/2006 19:05

Apple have pushed back the delivery of my Macbook to 22/06. This is the second time the order has been pushed back. They say it's because of demand, but I have a feeling they are trying to sort the heat issues out.

Has anyone else had an order pushed back?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Delay in shipping - 05/06/2006 21:42

I don't know about the Macbooks, but I know for a fact the Pro models are supply constrained and have been since they launched.

I think if they fix the heat issues you'll be glad you were made to wait a little longer. One of the reasons I'm holding off on the purchase of a 17" MBP is in hopes Apple will get their stuff together and make some revisions in the next month or so. Waiting until I launch my new site and start bringing in a little bit of income doesn't hurt either.

Bruno

Re: Delay in shipping - 15/06/2006 18:03

It arrived today.

First impressions...

Not as much wow factor as when opening the MacMini or iBook, build feels cheap (lift one corner and the other 3 stay on the desk). Magsafe is esp cheap and nasty. There also a few springy bits around the screen.

It runs very very hot, mine gets too hot to touch the underside under normal use, I am slightly worried by this as the fan doesn't seem to kick in at all ??? It does cool down very quickly when turned off and charging.

Windows went on ok, but I get the impression I'm gunna get stiffed by apple by having to buy the next upgrade to continue use.

The no catch lid works really well.

I prefer the new keyboard, feels nice.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Delay in shipping - 15/06/2006 18:24

I think the two main offenders so far (for heat) is the thermal paste on the processor and reports of plastic over the ven at the very top of the keyboard and below the screen.

Other than that, I think if you take it in to the experts at your local store, they can take a look at it. I can't imagine that "too hot to touch" is an acceptable heat level for any laptop.