Classic/convertible hire in California?

Posted by: julf

Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 06:34

Will be in CA in July, and planning on doing the stereotypical Highway 1 drive. Amusingly enough, Elaine hasn't ever done it, while I have done it a couple of times myself, but both times in a compact tinbox of a car.

Of course, the only True Way of doing it is in a classic convertible (or on a motorcycle). Any pointers to rental places for classics and/or convertibles? An added complication is that we would have to pick up the car in SF and return it in LA, so a one-way rental...
Posted by: altman

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 09:14

I did the top bit of hwy 1 in Zandr's M coupe that he lent me a few years back. I was very scared, as the insurance position was a bit unknown & I wasn't used to shifting with my right hand... hence I didn't enjoy it like I really should have

Need to do that again, a miata would be ideal!

Hugo
Posted by: Daria

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 09:27

Hertz at SFO had (automatic, sadly) Mustang convertibles, and may have also had (automatic, sadly) Sebring convertibles. So there's a baseline, low effort answer. As to doing better, there was a place called Specialty Rental associated with Budget, I think, at SFO, I rented a Prius from, I bet they have such things.
Posted by: rob

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 10:11

I did the Hertz Mustang thing last year, from SFO down Highway 1 to LA, then across to Vegas and dropped it off there. The 2005MY Mustang is a huge improvement over the earlier ones, but if you're really after a classic then you might find it hard to find a one way rental.

If you need somewhere to stay about halfway down Highway 1 I can recommend the Ragged Point Inn, especially if you're with your significant other (get a Tier 4 room - cliff edge, second floor, jacuzzi and balcony).

Rob
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 12:21

Quote:
Of course, the only True Way of doing it is in a classic convertible (or on a motorcycle). Any pointers to rental places for classics and/or convertibles? An added complication is that we would have to pick up the car in SF and return it in LA, so a one-way rental...

You want a Harley or a sportbike?

- Jon

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 13:47

Quote:
Hertz at SFO had (automatic, sadly) Mustang convertibles, and may have also had (automatic, sadly) Sebring convertibles. So there's a baseline, low effort answer.

Indeed, good as a backup solution! Thanks!

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 13:48

Quote:
If you need somewhere to stay about halfway down Highway 1 I can recommend the Ragged Point Inn, especially if you're with your significant other (get a Tier 4 room - cliff edge, second floor, jacuzzi and balcony).

Sounds pretty good - will check it out!

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 13:51

Quote:
You want a Harley or a sportbike?

Well, if I went the bike route, a "classic" road bike would be my choice - upright, no fairings, but not a heavy plodder like the Harley. But I'm afraid it will be a 4-wheeler this time.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 14:15

Quote:
Quote:
Hertz at SFO had (automatic, sadly) Mustang convertibles, and may have also had (automatic, sadly) Sebring convertibles. So there's a baseline, low effort answer.

Indeed, good as a backup solution! Thanks!

I have a friend in Boston who rents convertibles when he comes out to visit, and usually ends up with a Sebring. They're really the most common, it seems. Hertz does have a variety of convertibles, though, and I expect that other places would have similar.

If you want to go the expensive route, Enterprise has convertible BMW Z4's in their fleet -- I came close to renting one when my truck was in the shop, but couldn't justify the $200+ a day it was going to cost just to drive it three miles to work where it would just sit in the parking lot.

Edit: As for classics, though, the problem is that the major rental companies aren't going to have those in their fleet, so, once you find a place that rents one, you'll likely have to pay a pretty hefty drop charge to go one-way.

Let me know when you're in town...
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 19:29

I'll recommend the Sebring, they just manage the air better. Very little wind in the cockpit (front seats). All in all it will be a much more enjoyable ride for that.

Enterprise always has Sebrings available, but put in a reservation to make sure you get one.

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 16/06/2006 23:43

I like the Sebring, I own one. It's just that, well, mine's a stick. I'd like to rent one which was the same.

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 02:40

You own a Sebring convertable that has a stick? Didn't know that was ever offered, excpet in an autostick variant.

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 02:52

Quote:

I have a friend in Boston who rents convertibles when he comes out to visit, and usually ends up with a Sebring. They're really the most common, it seems.

Has something to do with their popularity. As I recall, the first couple years they sold more Sebring Verts than the next 3-4 most popular models combined.

They really are great touring cars. But no they arn't hotrods.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 15:57

Quote:
You own a Sebring convertable that has a stick? Didn't know that was ever offered, excpet in an autostick variant.

I think it was offered in Canada. Perhaps he imported it?

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 19:25

2002-2004 GTC was offered in stick in the U.S.

It wasn't easy to find.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 19:40

Is THAT why I saw so many Mustangs when I did Highway 1... because that's the proper way, eh?

Don't be fooled when you look on the map and see "towns" along clifside Highway 1, thinking you can stop there for the night. They are actually self contained comunes which have a few rooms, a bar, and some gas pumps. One of them even claimed to keep its own livestock instead of relying on the vastly infrequent supply trucks. Wild.

When you get to the southern end, the bay where the seals hang out, there's a restaurant with a great view to give you a break from all that winding road. Enjoy.
Posted by: Mach

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 18/06/2006 21:25

I posted over on the classic mustang forum. I know that there are several places to rent exotics but haven't heard of anyone renting classics.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1430232/

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 19/06/2006 05:41

Quote:
I posted over on the classic mustang forum. I know that there are several places to rent exotics but haven't heard of anyone renting classics.

Thanks! Appreciated! Might just fall back to a modern Sebring. Still better than your average rental box

Re: Classic/convertible hire in California? - 19/06/2006 05:43

Quote:
Is THAT why I saw so many Mustangs when I did Highway 1... because that's the proper way, eh?

Well, it should really be in a 60's convertible 2-seater Merc, but...

Quote:
Don't be fooled when you look on the map and see "towns" along clifside Highway 1, thinking you can stop there for the night. They are actually self contained comunes which have a few rooms, a bar, and some gas pumps. One of them even claimed to keep its own livestock instead of relying on the vastly infrequent supply trucks. Wild.

Part of the experience

We will play it safe and pre-book accommodation.