Desktop Tower Defense

Posted by: Dignan

Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 15:59

* Warning! Productivity destroyer! *

I've been hooked on this game all day. It's becoming a problem.

The maddening part is that I can't even get very far on easy mode. Argh.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 16:38

Cool. My initial strategy is to build a maze so that all except the flying units have to spend a lot of time going up and down instead of straight to the right. And a few swarm towers seem to keep the flying units at bay. So far I'm on level 33 and only one baddie has gotten through, a boss, and, even then, it was because I accidentally clicked "send next level" before the previous level was done.

Neat game, though.
Posted by: tman

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 16:55

Quote:
Cool. My initial strategy is to build a maze so that all except the flying units have to spend a lot of time going up and down instead of straight to the right. And a few swarm towers seem to keep the flying units at bay. So far I'm on level 33 and only one baddie has gotten through, a boss, and, even then, it was because I accidentally clicked "send next level" before the previous level was done.

Neat game, though.

Ditto. Got to level 43 with the massive maze of squirt towers only. Doesn't work too well after that however.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 17:26

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 17:48

Yeah, I finally caught on to that strategy. I've gotten to level 48. Right now I'm on 23 and hoping to finally beat this. I can't imagine getting very far on the higher levels, though.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 18:03

First try I got through all 50 levels on easy. Only had 2 lives left, but somehow made it through. Upgrading your towers is a must though!

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 18:13

Which towers did you use? I can't seem to get past 49.

I'm starting by making a maze like Bitt said, using nothing but Pellet Towers. Then I upgrade and sell until I get to the following setup:

I have two pellet towers maxed out in the middle of the map, so they can reach anywhere. Then I have freeze towers second-to-last in every row. The last pellet tower in every row is the first to get upgraded, because I figure it'll be more often in range. Then towards the end I evenly place the swarm towers in the path of the flying creeps, which seems to take care of them. Then there's my last line of defense using some squirt towers.

What was your strategy?
Posted by: oliver

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 19:08

I started an "empeg" group in the high score list. I figured it would of already existed.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 19:18

I wish I could say I did have a strategy! I was winging it the whole time. I did have some of the dart towers, but really it was dumb luck!
Posted by: sein

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 20:36

Mine looked like this:

Died right there, so didn't really get past the Easy 50. The boss on 40 is having a laugh or what? Anyone manage to wipe him out? I think the Bash Towers I have on the ends of my rows are pretty weak, maybe I should have upgraded them further. Needed some more dart towers at the bottom of the map and a few more frost ones dotted about would also help I guess.

Wasn't too bad, could have done better if I actually had a plan instead of just making it up on the fly.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 20:51

Okay, "Medium" is totally hard. Can't really set up a maze because you'll end up blocking the path.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 06/04/2007 23:36

Quote:
Okay, "Medium" is totally hard. Can't really set up a maze because you'll end up blocking the path.

I think it is a case of "simple when you know how", not that I've necessarily mastered this... they only come from the top and the left. Get some squirters trained to max damage in the congregation zones and you're all set.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 01:25

This one worked out pretty well. Plus, it's purty.

I'd hoped that the upgraded swarm towers would help with the flying bosses at the end. Not so much.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 03:19

That one did work good! Before I was directing both directions to the same route/direction.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 03:38

I've been playing this since early March. My best map on Medium before 1.2 was 5570 points with 7 guys left. Lately I've just been playing Spawns Fun Mode.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 03:52

Quote:
The boss on 40 is having a laugh or what? Anyone manage to wipe him out?

I was able to get him with that map I posted. Even then, he only died at the very end. Crazy!

Quote:
I think the Bash Towers I have on the ends of my rows are pretty weak, maybe I should have upgraded them further.

I found the bash towers to be pretty useless. I guess they have to be maxed out to be effective... I just think that takes too long.

Oh well, this game gets me pretty frustrated, but I love it. I keep playing it Hopefully I'll be over it by Monday. I have a lot of work to do that didn't get done on Friday!
Posted by: sein

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 04:38

Bitt, that is a masterpiece.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 16:06

Check out the map I used to beat the easy mode. I only used Pellet Towers. It's not like it was even close, either. I let one boss through early on, and then the bosses on 40, 48, and 49 (I was really close to getting the boss on 40, like within 200 hit points).

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 07/04/2007 20:28

Yeah, those 5-point pellet guns really help. Incredible range.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 08/04/2007 04:46

That game just screams Warcraft III. There were lots of cools addons like that.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 08/04/2007 15:47

I think this has been my best attempt yet.. only the 2 last bosses got by.. the flying one wouldnt have if i had the 2 swarm bases upgraded a little more, he had less than 100 left.. the lvl 48 boss is just insane.. I did tho have him split in 2.. Only lvl 47 creeps and 48 boss made it to/past the S portion in the bottom middle of my map. My ending score was 3495.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 08/04/2007 16:21

I modified my previous design and was able to get 3892 and 18 lives left. I didn't make a dent in the last flying boss, and I was able to split up the swarm boss, kill one of the splits, and nearly kill the other one. I basically used my last design, and this time focused on upgrading all the pelett towers in the flying creeps' path as much as possible. I ended up with about 6 sniper towers which did a whole lot of damage.

*edit*
Now I wish this were a standalone game. I hate having to go to the website to play it. I'd pay a little for it, too. I also wish I could cheat for fun. I'd love to see those last bosses get past a screen-full of maxed out towers

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 08/04/2007 16:22

Quote:
This one worked out pretty well. Plus, it's purty.

I'd hoped that the upgraded swarm towers would help with the flying bosses at the end. Not so much.

Bitt, how'd you make that neat map?
*edit*
Nevermind, I hadn't really played the medium difficulty yet.

Here's my map, basically a version of Bitt's brilliant one, using just pellet towers as I had before. The Swarm bosses at 48 got me.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 08/04/2007 20:09

2nd try, won on Easy with 2700 points (I did LOTS of selling, which hurts points) and 4 lives. Didn't make a dent in the last two bosses. Upgrading is the key, but timing it is hard. I used everyone else's concept of "beef up the core."

Man that game took a lot of time. Started at maybe 4:45, now it's 6:00.

Posted by: spider

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 09/04/2007 06:15

i love this game. thanks for sharing. its a gift and a curse. I have been playing NON stop since Friday. I just finally survived till the end on medium. Lately Master of Magic and virtualNES just havn't been cutting it.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 09/04/2007 13:42

I've now given up on easy. I think I'll stay satisfied with a 5491 points.

Medium is kicking my butt, though. I've been playing around with Bitt's maze, but I can't seem to get past ~45.

*edit*
I'm also looking into ways of cheating. Don't worry, they all involve preventing score uploads. I just want to have a little fun with these damn creeps that have been tormenting me so much for the past several days.

Oh, and if you want to play offline...

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 09/04/2007 22:53

OK, I've beaten both medium and hard. Very slick game. Attached is my solution to Medium. The upgrades on the pellet towers are simply a mad dash to try and kill the split blobs of Span Boss 48. I've found that the trick to the last boss levels is then the spawn bosses enter, send the flying bosses at the same time. The fliers so fast they are past the spawns before I even get a shot off at the spawns. Once they're dead, everything is killing the spawns. Until the 80 regulars come in at the end.

Dammit... How do image tags work again?

Edit: You have to click the attachment link and copy the actual file location.
--_l0ser

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 10/04/2007 02:32

Well that makes sense. Thanks
Posted by: mlord

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 10/04/2007 18:06

This thing is friggin' ridiculous! I picked it up yesterday, and was immediately hooked! Managed to avoid it all day today, though. Until just now -- had another go at "Normal" mode and managed to "win" with 17 lives remaining and 5277 points. No screenshot of the formation, though, cuz I was playing offline, and it locked up when I entered my name at the end.

The formation I used was very simple.. just a few diagonal zig-zags -- maybe 30% of the screen -- with two solid diagonals of level-5 squirters in the mddle.

Damn this is addictive!

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 10/04/2007 19:02

Ahh.. I managed to survive on "Medium" again -- 18 lives left this time. The two final flying whatevertheyares were the only enemies to make it through.

Nothing but ordinary pellet towers, and the center filled with Typhoon squirters.
One improvement in my play is to beef up only the centermost pieces to the max before bothering with any other upgrades. One well-placed heavy is worth a zillion lower-lifes.

I guess I'll have to learn the other types of pieces to figure out how to stop those two final fliers.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 10/04/2007 19:31

I pretty much have the same strategy. I think the only way to get those flying bosses is to have a hell of a lot of firepower combined with very powerful freeze towers. It also helps to not have any other enemies on screen at the time as well, or at least none that are within range of the towers that are focusing on the fliers.

But frankly, I don't know. I can usually stop the one flying boss in easy mode, but I haven't stopped the ones in medium or hard.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 10/04/2007 19:58

Yeah. In easy mode, I win with all 20 lives every time. Stopped that after three of those games, and moved onto Medium.

Now I just tried the same strategy for my first ever game of "Hard". Completed level 50 with 3 lives remaining, despite goofing on the layout placements early on (damned mouse moves the piece after I think I've dropped it!!).

EDIT: played my second "Hard" game just now, finished higher with 11 lives remaining.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 11/04/2007 11:00

If anyone wants to do a little cheating (for fun - don't submit your scores - that's not cool), I've edited the game and put it up here.*

You'll start every game with 9999 gold. The only problem I've found is that there appears to be a limit on how much you can build, and I'm not sure what it is, but after a certain number of upgrades, the game will simply freeze and you'll have to refresh or reset. Too bad, I would have loved to cover the screen in maxed-out squirt towers. Still, it's easy to beat any mode with this cheat (except, oddly, the "Cross" fun mode - I haven't found the correct setup for that one yet).

* ps- sorry if you can't open RAR files.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 11/04/2007 13:11

That is his anti-cheat mechanism in place. If you decompiled his swf you might find his function that stops the game.

Also, I asked him about a sandbox mode and he said that he has plans to put one in. Right now, the closest you can come in his official version is the Fun -> Spawns mode. Each guy is worth like 80 gold.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 12/04/2007 11:31

Quote:
That is his anti-cheat mechanism in place.

Interesting. It's not really preventing cheating, though. You can still win FAR easier than you can normally.

Quote:
Also, I asked him about a sandbox mode and he said that he has plans to put one in. Right now, the closest you can come in his official version is the Fun -> Spawns mode. Each guy is worth like 80 gold.

A sandbox mode would be great. The spawns game is not fun at all. I hate that type of creep. Besides, don't you only get gold when you split them up? It looked to me like when you kill the last guys they split up into, you don't get anything...

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 12/04/2007 12:57

That is correct. They do give enough gold to make it very easy to beat spawns mode, though.
Posted by: andy

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 12/04/2007 14:42

The spawns can sometimes jump two diagonally arrange towers as well (as they split), thus bypassing the maze and making a quick exit.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 12/04/2007 14:55

Though they occasionally jump back, too.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 12/04/2007 19:18

And is spawns mode, the have to split twice. So 1 becomes 7 you have to kill, although they cut their hp in half at every split.

Same thing as challenge - 100 levels.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 13/04/2007 01:34

Very fun!! Thanks!

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 13/04/2007 06:33

Go play Line Rider.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 13/04/2007 10:24

A new challenge with DTD, try playing it via the Wii browser It's a little painful. The Opera browser, even the recently updated one, doesn't display the game correctly, so I was able to play it, but I couldn't see:

-the creeps (could see their health bars, though)
-how much money or points I had
-the range of my towers
-the sell button
-the left third of the map

That was all livable, though. The real challenge was not having keyboard shortcuts, so I couldn't use the shift key, which was painful.

Easy mode was still fairly...easy.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 13/04/2007 12:53

Quote:
If anyone wants to do a little cheating (for fun - don't submit your scores - that's not cool), I've edited the game and put it up here.*

Sorry to change links, but I had to move it here.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/04/2007 03:34

Sorry to post about this game again, but here's an interview with the author.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 14/01/2008 21:37

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 04:55

Originally Posted By: tonyc

Is it just me, or is that much harder than the first one? Still, it's going to suck up all my time... smile

Thanks for posting that.

...I think wink

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 13:32

I didn't think it was too bad (if you are just trying to make it through). One time I did a double dare which basically killed me. Then I found "reset elements" in the store.

In a way I wish there was more money available... some of those advanced towers are cool.
Posted by: andy

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 13:47

I concur, not enough cash available.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 14:11

I liked the maze-building aspect of the first one more. This one's still cool, though. I got through the first level (50 rounds) first time without a lot of effort, though, so I don't think it's harder.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 14:14

Yeah, I was able to get to level 50 with a ton of towers, but 50 is really freaking hard, way harder than DTD's level 50, which I always found really easy.

Actually, it appears that this isn't a sequel to the one we were discussing in this thread ("Desktop Tower Defense"), but some game called "Flash Element TD." It's certainly better made than DTD, but I hope there's a sequel to DTD soon, because it seems to me that it's author does a better job at balancing the gameplay elements. I also wish there were a cheat mode to FETD2 (sometimes I like to just take a break and utterly destroy those creeps smile ).

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 14:16

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I liked the maze-building aspect of the first one more. This one's still cool, though. I got through the first level (50 rounds) first time without a lot of effort, though, so I don't think it's harder.

I guess it's just a matter of finding the right mix of towers. For me, it looked like you could get through a good portion of the game with some evenly-spaced splinter towers combined with those slow towers. But how did you destroy the armored guys at the end? I couldn't get them past half of their health.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 14:25

I think a lot of it was fire. I had about 5 evenly spaced advanced fire towers that kept them on fire pretty much the whole time.

Re: Desktop Tower Defense - 15/01/2008 14:26

My mistake was not reading the tips where it tells you that you can't make them slowed and burn at the same time.