Empeg 10th Birthday Party

Posted by: rob

Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 13:00

Gosh, how time flies! It seems like only yesterday that a group of fresh faced engineers set upon their mission for world peace, through the medium of in-dash digital audio. Now almost ten years later Hugo's neat idea has touched many lives, or at least made it more enjoyable to go for a nice drive. How can we mark the occassion?

I say, BRING OUT THE LUGE, BRING OUT THE CHILLI, BRING OUT THE LARGIN' SOUND SYSTEM and let's have a PARTY!

empeg was registered around July 1998 so Saturday July 5th 2008 has been chosen for the tenth birthday party. Hugo & Claire are so excited they have already booked their flights! The top secret (i.e. not yet chosen) venue will be somewhere in or around Cambridge and you, the empeg illuminati, are all invited! Oh, how we'll laugh! How we'll dance! How we'll stagger after draining the firkins!

If it seems we're planning a little far ahead, that's because WE REALLY WANT YOU TO COME. So cast aside any less important plans such as holidays, weddings or Himalayan retreats and put the date in your diary. Better yet, put it on a calendar and start crossing off the days! July 5th 2008! Party!

Rob
Posted by: mlord

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 13:41

Superb! I'll be there!
Posted by: Taym

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 14:54

I'd LOVE to be there!
I am starting to plan!!
Posted by: Cris

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 15:04

I'm sure both Nicola and I will be there

Can't wait....

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: rmitz

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 15:04

Very real possibility I'll try to be there. I was planning on a trip out that way next year anyway.
-Roman
Posted by: andy

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 15:05

It seems like days since I last attended an empeg gathering

We'll be there.
Posted by: sein

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 15:36

I'm definitely there
Posted by: boxer

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 17:34

Wild Horses!!!!
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/09/2007 23:52

Oh, alright.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 00:52

Quote:
Oh, alright.

That really should read:

Oh. Allriiiiiiight. Sigh.

That would be my imitation of some guy named Jim who doesn't know how to have a good time. Curb-your-enthusiasm-ville

But I may *yet* know how to have a good time. Thanks for the very advanced warning. I would like to come. Plane ticket hunt begins....
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 08:09

Quote:
Plane ticket hunt begins....

It seems the prices bottom out around 3-4 months out, unless you see a seat sale with a price you can't refuse. Unfortunately July is peak season so bargains aren't likely. As a reference, this year I paid £440 for an early July flight from LGW to EWR (was Continental, their 777's have laptop power in economy).

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 12:26

I'm managing the guest list using evite.com - if you declare your interest in this thread I will send an evite to the email address listed on your BBS profile. The first batch just went out!

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 12:45

Quote:
I'm managing the guest list using evite.com - if you declare your interest in this thread I will send an evite to the email address listed on your BBS profile. The first batch just went out!

Rob

Oh crap.

Yet anther email address list to be sold off to spammers (by evite, not Rob).
But I may as well try for the largest set of them!

Cheers!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 13:23

As usual, I am very interested, but, also as usual, I don't know if I can afford $1000 for a party. I'll try to make it and turn it into a holiday.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 13:42

I think it's a fairly safe bet that there will be more than just the Saturday night party to look forward to. Also I would expect a large number of overseas attendees some of whom might be interested in clubbing together on some sight seeing or other touristy activities either side of the party. We'll try to help bring people together as the plans start to gel.

Rob
Posted by: dr_dos

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 13:51

Count Martina and me in.

-Peter

Posted by: andym

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 14:04

Yes, should be there.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 14:14

Yeah, I know. I suppose that came across more negatively than I intended.
Posted by: pim

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 14:15

Quote:
Count Martina and me in.

Ah, so there will be Señoritas and Margaritas.

Count me in.

Pim
Posted by: drakino

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 14:16

I was hoping to attend next year already, so being that this is the 10th anniversary makes another reason to attend.

If you toss me an evite, please send it to d_empegevite @ miniinfo.net .

Thanks Rob for starting the organization this early.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 15:05

Looks good for me too! This much notice means I'm in.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 17:50

Quote:

Just rational and accurate, as usual. Sums up my situation exactly. I've wanted to make all of these meets, but just couldn't afford it when the time came around. I might just stop being rational about it and come any way for this one.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 17:52

Well, I left out the irrational part: my fear of flying. Much Xanax was consumed when I went over the last time.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 19:20

Quote:
Quote:

Just rational and accurate, as usual. Sums up my situation exactly. I've wanted to make all of these meets, but just couldn't afford it when the time came around. I might just stop being rational about it and come any way for this one.

I'm in 100% agreement. Please add me to the evite, though. I can put myself down as a maybe for now, then talk to the wife about travel plans next year.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 13/09/2007 21:18

I was too lazy to get myself to any in the past, despite being pretty close, but put me down for this one, I will make sure I'm around.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 00:19

Quote:
Quote:
Plane ticket hunt begins....

It seems the prices bottom out around 3-4 months out, unless you see a seat sale with a price you can't refuse. Unfortunately July is peak season so bargains aren't likely. As a reference, this year I paid £440 for an early July flight from LGW to EWR (was Continental, their 777's have laptop power in economy).

I'll start obsessing over it now as I'm not sure if I will pay with real money or miles.

United et al are making it progressively harder to use award miles, esp on partner flights. The so-called "saver" award seats are getting very scarce. But I see some biz-class seats to Frankfurt and elsewhere right now for 80K reward miles. So, I guess I'll have to judge whether to wait for that 3-4 month window. As we get closer to that window the award seats will dry up. I figure I'll sit down every few weeks and look. Then start calling the 800 number and playing "What If?" Anyhow, the fact that this was announced so far in advance means that I might actually have a shot at using miles if it makes sense.

And I'm thinking Rob's invite could be the occasion for a decent vacation, work permitting. I'd much prefer to drive around over thataways in June rather than July, so maybe the Birthday Party will be the "final" destination.
Posted by: julf

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 05:25

Quote:
Well, I left out the irrational part: my fear of flying. Much Xanax was consumed when I went over the last time.

But the Xanax did work, didn't it? Xanax also helped my father-in-law (who hadn't flown in 15 years) get here for our wedding...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 05:27

Rob, could you please add [email protected] to the evite list? I'll see what I can do about dealing with the July 4 clash.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 12:55

Oh yeah, it works a charm without making you feel dopey. Honestly, if there was some way I could just be knocked unconscious for 10 hours, be packed in baggage and then just wake up overseas, that would be excellent. But the Xanax seems to be the next best thing. I did honestly take probably a total of 8 for the flight, though. (Not all at once. I could feel my anxiety starting to come back at points, and I would take some more.)
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 14:03

Do you figure if you flew enough, you'd eventually get used to it?

Anyway, I can't predict my schedule next July, but I'd love to go. By then, my daughter will be three, which means she might be more likely to be able to put up with a trip that long.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 14:59

I used to fly vaguely frequently, and, for the most part, I did get used to it. But I spent many years not flying at all and the next time I got on a plane, my fear was greater than it had ever been. I'm not really sure why. I knew that I would be nervous on the flight across the Atlantic, and I took the Xanax for that, but by pure happenstance, I had to fly to Alabama (through Charlotte) a week or so after I got back from England. I figured that it was two hour-and-a-half-long legs and that I would be fine, but I was absolutely freaked out. Fortunately, I had brought some just in case, but it didn't kick in until the first leg was done. That was honestly one of the worst experiences of my life. I would probably rather have another root canal than do that again.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 15:27

Quote:
Honestly, if there was some way I could just be knocked unconscious for 10 hours, be packed in baggage and then just wake up overseas, that would be excellent.

If they could do that in such a way so that I could start the unconscious part before leaving home (thus avoiding the whole parking/security/terminal stuff), I'd be all over it.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 15:32

But how would you take off your shoes?! Think of the children. Iraq destroyed America.

Only a terrorist would want to avoid doing his part to make our country secure. Why do you love Bin Laden?

I feel dirty, like a politician. :P

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 16:13

Hey, if I'm unconscious, I don't care if they strip search me, as long as I don't have to deal with the fricking airport.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 16:34

Quote:
Hey, if I'm unconscious, I don't care if they strip search me, as long as I don't have to deal with the fricking airport.

That might attract a whole new group of lowlifes for the TSA positions. They might even be able to get volunteers.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 18:05

Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, if there was some way I could just be knocked unconscious for 10 hours, be packed in baggage and then just wake up overseas, that would be excellent.

If they could do that in such a way so that I could start the unconscious part before leaving home (thus avoiding the whole parking/security/terminal stuff), I'd be all over it.

Two words, my friend: First Class.

It doesn't avoid all of that stuff, but it does eliminate nearly all of the line-ups, and somebody will even park your car for you.

Cheers
Posted by: Roger

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 19:03

Quote:
as long as I don't have to deal with the fricking airport.

I'm not going to go unconscious (although I may have a few beers), but one of the reasons I persuaded SWMBO that we were going to Provence next week is that I don't have to deal with a frigging airport. At least this time.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 14/09/2007 23:39

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now here's a case where booking too far in advance may not pay. Current UAL ticket from SEA/SFO to LHR and back is looking to be around 14K USD. 'Course, only $9K or so on BA

Quote:
It doesn't avoid all of that stuff, but it does eliminate nearly all of the line-ups, and somebody will even park your car for you.

Cheers

I think I'll hold off. Come next April or May, if they haven't filled all of those F Class seats with award travelers or deadheading flight crew, I might be able to snag a ticket for as low as 4 or 5 grand!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 15/09/2007 04:24

The way to get to the U.K. in style is to take one of the new all-business-class airlines.

Quoting from a New York Times article that I saved:

MAXjet (www.maxjet.com), Silverjet (www.flysilverjet.com) and L'Avion (us.lavion.com) — offer round-trip ticket prices starting in the $1,400-to-$2,000 range, including taxes, with occasional sale fares that are lower. Eos (eosairlines.com), offers more of a first-class ride between New York and London, and its fares are priced to match that level of service, starting at $3,280 round trip. (Booking at the last minute, of course, could result in significantly higher fares.)

I've never had the chance to fly any of these airlines, but one of these days, the stars will line up properly and I will.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 15/09/2007 05:04

The big problem with those all-business-class airlines is what happens when things go wrong. They don't have lots of spare aircraft hanging around, so when they have a fault that knocks out a plane you end up in economy on another airline instead. There are plenty of "horror" stories on the web of this happening.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 15/09/2007 15:24

On the other hand both Stansted and Luton are fairly convenient for Cambridge - I'd be on them all the time if I weren't miles building with Virgin.

Another option, if a dozen or so folks can co-ordinate, would be to hire a private jet

Rob
Posted by: tahir

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 17/09/2007 08:51

And both Stansted and Luton are much less busy than Gatwick or Heathrow, much less stressful.
Posted by: Tim

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 17/09/2007 11:52

Quote:

Business Class gets nearly the same perks groundside that First Class does, while being significantly cheaper. The one thing I'm not sure about would be valet parking, but that doesn't even happen First Class here. They do use the same lines and lounges that First Class gets to use, though.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 17/09/2007 13:21

Quote:
They don't have lots of spare aircraft hanging around

Sadly, these days, the major airlines suffer from the same problems. Bad weather in one city can delay the movement of aircraft all around, cascading to canceled flights later in the day in a variety of places. If and only if you're starting in a "hub" city, you might luck out, but if you're out on a spoke, then you're in the same boat.

(I was in Boston for a conference last month and was on an evening flight out. Due to bad weather in Newark, the whole eastern seaboard was screwed up. Even though there were two "later" flights that did go out, they informed me that I had been rebooked to a flight at 6am the next day and offered no assistance with regard to hotels and whatnot. This was with Continental airlines where I'm a second-level elite member. Since the new business-class carriers don't have elaborate connection networks, they should be less likely to suffer from these kinds of weather related delays, particularly made worse by the modern capacity-booking policies of the major airlines.)
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 02:13

Quote:
starting at $3,280 round trip

No amount of money can buy your way out of turbulence.

Quote:
hire a private jet

Um, maybe I should take that back.

I'll be there, unless a major life change occurs, which I hope it does. Heck, I'll still try to be there. Can I fly to Iceland first, though, like I planned a few years ago? Hmmmm.......
Posted by: tahir

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 09:23

Cheap flights from Stansted to Iceland...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 12:00

Quote:
Quote:
starting at $3,280 round trip

No amount of money can buy your way out of turbulence.

Quote:
hire a private jet

Um, maybe I should take that back.

In my experience, private jets are more affected by turbulence than commercial liners. Given, I've not taken one over the Atlantic, only from Raleigh to Boston (and back), but the plane constantly felt like it was being buffeted about.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 15:24

Presumable commercial liners are getting better, more expensive, weather (turbulence) data.
Also, wouldn't plane size play into it? A smaller plane would get tossed around more then a big jumbo.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 15:47

Airplane mass clearly has a good deal to do with it. Smaller planes get pushed around more.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 16:27

Quote:
In my experience, private jets are more affected by turbulence than commercial liners.

The point is that if it's on your tab, you can instruct the pilots to fly around turbulance of course at the expense of air time and the added costs associated with it; the same I presume applies to chartered flights. Commercial airlines always go for the cheapest route.

Stu

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 16:57

Quote:
In my experience, private jets are more affected by turbulence than commercial liners. Given, I've not taken one over the Atlantic, only from Raleigh to Boston (and back), but the plane constantly felt like it was being buffeted about.

I'm suddenly reminded of the corresponding scene in "Almost Famous"...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 17:08

Quote:
Given, I've not taken one over the Atlantic

Having actually taken a Falcon across the Atlantic, I can tell you that really feel the smaller cabin space after 4 or 5 hours in the air. Turbulence sensitivity is mostly determined by wing loading, not so much airplane size.

Anyway, in a business jet you get to see exciting places like Gander, Newfoundland... (the Falcon could have made London-New York nonstop, but we were doing Amsterdam-Denver).

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 18/09/2007 21:10

Quote:
Quote:

I'm suddenly reminded of the corresponding scene in "Almost Famous"...

Heh.. my Myth box picked that one up for us to watch this summer. Hilarious!

Cheers
Posted by: h_blake

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 08:46

Add me to the list please.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 08:53

Everyone who has expressed an interest so far should have received their evite. If not please let me know, confirming your email address.

I've a feeling this may be a big one!

Cheers

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 10:15

I spread the word as a Facebook Event when the date was announced. There are 32 people in the Empeg group (so far), so if any of those guys don't read the BBS they will still know about the party. There is a link to this thread and a note to get on the Evite list too.
Posted by: Schido

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 13:09

I will be there too, and maybe plan a longer stay this time. I still want to revisit Scotland with my motorbike. Although juli 5th is 2 weeks before my workplace closes for 3 weeks, and my colleague's probably won't thank me if i extend that to 5 weeks.

You can get my hidden email address form my profile right Rob?
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 13:55

Anyone have advice on finding airfare? The prices I'm seeing now are going to make it pretty impossible for me to go. I can't afford $2K for round trip for two people, and that's before the hotel stay.

Damn.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 14:09

I believe I am correct in saying that the fares will fall sometime in the coming months, before they rise again closer to the date of travel. At least I think that is how air fare pricing works

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 15:15

Quote:
I believe I am correct in saying that the fares will fall sometime in the coming months, before they rise again closer to the date of travel. At least I think that is how air fare pricing works

That's how easyjet's pricing seems to work. Although the price usually then plummets on the day.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/09/2007 17:23

Alas, our trip to England is going to be around April, to coincide with an uncle's teaching semester. We won't be able to swing a second, so soon after.
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 24/09/2007 09:50

Denise and I will be there...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 25/09/2007 00:18

I will be there, but maybe in Italy before hand? Nah, just lost in the Lakes again!
Posted by: eliceo

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/10/2007 03:03

toss me an evite, i may just go
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 02/11/2007 00:29

Say Rob, have you or I had any really cool ideas about what's going to happen at the party? I mean, if we were to discuss revealing the possibility that {censored} and {censored} might be revealed at the event, do you think it might entice people to go to the party?

How about if we {censored} the {censored}{censored}{censored} and {censored}? Would that be FUN, or what?
Posted by: osito

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/11/2007 20:38

Please add me and my girlfriend to the list.

Don´t want to miss the opportunity to get to know the ingenious people
that have developed imho the one and only indash MP3 player.
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/11/2007 01:05

Quote:
Anyway, in a business jet you get to see exciting places like Gander, Newfoundland... (the Falcon could have made London-New York nonstop, but we were doing Amsterdam-Denver).

Just two hours from my home! My brother lives there actually! Not too often that we here on the Rock find mention of our beautiful province in the wild.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/11/2007 01:47

Quote:
Just two hours from my home! My brother lives there actually! Not too often that we here on the Rock find mention of our beautiful province in the wild.

I gotta say that when you've spent some time on a charter stretch DC-8 where two thirds of the passengers are smoking and one-third of the passengers are changing the diapers on their mil-dep babies that are puking on a regular basis....well...when you look out the window at Gander....it looks just like heaven.

And Newfoundland remains the land of my dreams.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/11/2007 08:09

Quote:
when you look out the window at Gander....it looks just like heaven.

When I visited, it looked sort of like... a runway in the middle of snowdrifts

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 25/11/2007 21:14

Quote:
Superb! I'll be there!

Flights are now booked for SWMBO and me!

(why is this thread in "Off Topic".. took a while to find it again!).

Cheers

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/12/2007 14:28

From my observations, about two months out the prices rise again, although I think most airlines have a complex structure based on passenger loads, and the prices might dip again if the flight is empty. In July I was on a flight and the person sitting next to me had booked the week before and only paid £70 more, and the flight was pretty busy. I'm looking at flights to SFO for the end of January and NWA had a deal for £280 return (stopping over in MSP), last week it jumped to £331.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/12/2007 15:30

I have a friend who used to work for Midway Airlines (now defunct). It was his job to administer the system that dealt with determining the minute-by-minute price of airline tickets. That was his entire job. And apparently the software used (I wish I could remember the name of it not) was an industry standard.

The point of this is that if it was a person's full-time job to deal with that single system for a mid-sized airline, there is no way you can expect to be able to figure out what prices are going to do.
Posted by: MarkH

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/12/2007 23:48

I travel a lot. From experience plus conversations with airline employees, I would say there is no way you can ever hope to out-guess modern airline yield management systems. These things juggle a huge number of variables, most of them stemming from mining data not publicly available: for instance things like the history of connecting flights that passengers on flight X have gone on to, and the chances that encouraging people to choose flight X or not might generate extra revenue from the connection, etc etc.
Posted by: JonnyGee

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 10/01/2008 18:43

Been thinking about the sound system requirements for this event... the options are:
- Loud
- Very loud
- F*&%ing loud
- Overpowered in a way that simply isn't safe

Any thoughts? It's really just a matter of how much green and how much grey...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 10/01/2008 18:50

Quote:
- Very loud
- F*&%ing loud

I think either of those two would do.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 10/01/2008 19:01

Originally Posted By: mlord
Quote:
- Very loud
- F*&%ing loud

I think either of those two would do.

OK, and of course we have to consider coverage patterns. Back in toe '06 party, Rob S had to do a big announcement twice because the system was firing it all at an empty dance floor and most people couldn't hear a thing. Damn 60*40 horns.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/01/2008 08:50

Oh btw, i didn't get anything from e-vite.com yet.
E-mail address is schido@[the same dutch provider that RobS uses]

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/01/2008 09:31

me neither...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 14:30

I'm making a start on the plans for the party. Currently I am considering hosting it at my place (as with the UK meet before last) as a fairly substantial gathering can be accommodated in the garden. This will allow us to spend more money on beer and less on venue hire! Any objections?

I am looking into various entertainments and activites for the party itself. However I have not considered the days around the party - perhaps we could appoint some events organisers if enough people are interested in making more than a night of it. At the very least I would like to organise a fun event for earlier in the day of the party - for example, there is an excellent clay pigeon shooting centre which takes groups.

Suggestions and offers of organisational help appreciated.

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 14:39

Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
me neither...

Please confirm your email address in PM.

Thanks

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 15:05

I think having any or all of the events centred around Rob's place would be totally grand!

Rob.. that being the case, I wonder if someone local to the area might provide a modest soldering station setup for use one morning or afternoon?

I would happily volunteer some time there performing basic mods/fixes to players that other participants might want to bring along. Things like the cs4231a fix, the temperature sensor fix, and other similar, useful yet relatively simple things like those.

We'd just need a proper solder station, solder, flux, tweezers, a magnifying lens/lamp thingie, and a small supply of thin wire.

???

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 15:23

I think having any or all of the events centred around Rob's place would be totally grand!

Rob.. that being the case, I wonder if someone local to the area might provide a modest soldering station setup for use one morning or afternoon?

I would happily volunteer some time there performing basic mods/fixes to players that other participants might want to bring along. Things like the cs4231a fix, the temperature sensor fix, and other similar, useful yet relatively simple things like those.

We'd just need a proper solder station, solder, flux, tweezers, a magnifying lens/lamp thingie, and a small supply of thin wire.

???

no beer?
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 15:34

no beer?

LOL There must be beer!
In TIG welding class I kept a candy bar in my pocket so I could quiet my shaky hands before practical tests.
This is why I don't solder any small, delicate things!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 16:56

I would happily volunteer some time there performing basic mods/fixes to players that other participants might want to bring along.

I'll bring down some bits and pieces, and some beer - in exchange for soldering of one wire (I never completed my memory upgrade as I couldn't get the RAS line on without bridging leads on the processor - too clumsy)

seem reasonable?

I'll see what kit I have kicking about and let you know.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 17:53

Originally Posted By: frog51
I'll bring down some bits and pieces, and some beer - in exchange for soldering of one wire (I never completed my memory upgrade as I couldn't get the RAS line on without bridging leads on the processor - too clumsy)

That's the kind of thing I had in mind, so bring it on!

I suppose I could actually tote along much of the needed materials and tools, except for the temperature controlled soldering station itself. The rest of the required bits and pieces are hardly any size/weight at all.

Which reminds me.. gotta remember to pack the copper braid as well..

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 18:05

Be careful. Soldering equipment could be easily mistaken by an overzealous security screener as something else. (Even if you manage to avoid U.S. airports during your journey, I fear the paranoia has spread well beyond our borders.)

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/02/2008 20:05

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Be careful. Soldering equipment could be easily mistaken by an overzealous security screener as something else. (Even if you manage to avoid U.S. airports during your journey, I fear the paranoia has spread well beyond our borders.)

Yeah, even to this forum/topic, it seems. smirk

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/02/2008 15:42

The repair station is a great idea. I can provide a full set of electronic workshop equipment, and I'm sure Schof will be happy to bring along the empeg spare parts collection.

On a more hedonistic note, I'm thinking local ales by the firkin, hog roast, cocktail bar, bring-a-playlist tunes and a gargantuan Wii experience!

Also, introducing for the first time, never to be repeated, your once in a lifetime opportunity to be a part of EMPEG - THE GAME SHOW!

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/02/2008 19:05

I'd interested in seeing if I can resurrect my main player which is currently out of action with a mystery IDE and Ethernet problem, the aux and radio visuals work fine however.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/02/2008 19:24

Cocktails - mmm. Pina colada.
I'll need a floor somewhere...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/02/2008 20:20

Yay for drinks and wii!!!

can't wait.

Definitely need to get around to installing an empeg in my Pimpwagon!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 20/02/2008 21:42

Originally Posted By: rob
Also, introducing for the first time, never to be repeated, your once in a lifetime opportunity to be a part of EMPEG - THE GAME SHOW!

Wow. Will that turn into Tony Fabris vs. everybody else? Will Tony still win?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 01:05

And don't forget round two of the empeg Breakout Game competition, with an added twist (or two)!

-ml
Posted by: bmihulka

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 02:20

I'll be looking into tickets. Rob add me to the evite.

Brian

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 07:37

That sounds like something to really kill our rotary controls crazy

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 12:53

that's OK - I have an idea on how to kill the buttons...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 14:49

..and a brisk business was held at the repair desk the following morning.. smile

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 17:23

You're going to re-write Summer Games for the empeg?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 21/02/2008 19:49

Neko?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 22/02/2008 07:30

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR

Close... but I'm a skier so maybe not.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 22/02/2008 18:39

Close... but I'm a skier so maybe not.

Well, there's also a Winter Games sequal... smile

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 23/02/2008 09:47

<grin>
Good, good. All you ever really need for a successful launch is hype....

Let's just say I've been listening to some underground material...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 23/02/2008 18:40

Boulder Dash????
Posted by: tms13

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 27/02/2008 12:07

Cambridge? I can probably manage that! ;-)

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 02:15

Quote:
Will that turn into Tony Fabris vs. everybody else? Will Tony still win?

Wait, is Tony going to be there? I've got to meet "the man, the myth, the legend"!

(and I didn't get an eVite, I don't think. but I want to be there.)

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 02:29

Originally Posted By: tms13
Cambridge? I can probably manage that! ;-)

Woo-hoo! It would be great to see you again!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 16:40

Quote:
Wait, is Tony going to be there?

Alas, no. I've only ever been to one Europe/England gathering of the Empeg crew. I hope to come back again someday, but this year probably won't be the year.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 16:56

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Quote:
Wait, is Tony going to be there?

Alas, no. I've only ever been to one Europe/England gathering of the Empeg crew. I hope to come back again someday, but this year probably won't be the year.

This year could be the final year.. you and the GF should just pack up and go!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 16:58

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
and I didn't get an eVite, I don't think

Are we definitely supposed to be getting 'eVites'? I don't have one either if we are.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 17:52

I'm unfortunately leaning more towards Tony's camp as well of not being able to come. The value of the dollar vs the pound isn't helping much, and July is shaping up to be a busy month for me at work and some family related things.

I'll definitely be up for at least saying hi via skype again though.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 21:40

Originally Posted By: drakino
I'll definitely be up for at least saying hi via skype again though.

And maybe this time we can finish off the quiz with you smile

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 06/03/2008 23:46

Recently I was at a convention in a hotel which had good wifi, and one guy was walking around holding a MacBook with iSight and Skype running, and asking people to talk to his girlfriend, it struck me as being such a good demonstration of how far technology has come in recent years.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 30/03/2008 14:53

So, exactly when is everybody arriving and departing?

Flying to Cambridge (London Stansted) is very cheap, but staying there is very expensive, so I'm anticipating a short stay. But then, I don't want to miss anything either.

I'd really like to book flights and hotels shortly. The hotel of my choice, Hotel du Vin (#1 at Tripadvisor) is already fully booked for the Empeg weekend.

Pim

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 01/04/2008 12:10

I managed to get some kind of sabbatical of 5 weeks after the party weekend, planning to drive around on my motorbike for some weeks.
Want to visit the Wye valley and Snowdonia, probably going to stay here for some days: http://www.bikers-retreat.com

I think i remember Pcats was testing out this place last November, because RobV was thinking about using that as the base: http://maps.google.nl/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=motel&near=Cambridge,+Groot-Brittanni%C3%AB&fb=1&view=text&latlng=52102662,39703,11740072024369949316#

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 01/04/2008 13:28

We definitely do need to sort out a suitable base. Two years ago, it was really great having most all of us staying at the same hotel.

Cheers

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/04/2008 10:08

For various uninteresting reasons I decided to move house next month. I had been planning to host the party as my current garden is quite substantial and could easily accommodate a marquee and lots of guests. However the new house and garden are smaller, and I suspect would be less suitable. Therefore I'm going to give some thought to suitable party venues around Cambridge.

I haven't ruled out hosting at my new place - I'll get some more opinions on doing so over the next few weeks.

I would not book into the Cambridge Motel - it was convenient for my current house but not for much else.

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/04/2008 20:04

For various uninteresting reasons I decided to move house next month.

So.. what's her name? smile
Posted by: kjohanss

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 10/04/2008 18:30

Bugger! Going to the US on june 26th and staying for three weeks - not going to make it frown

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/04/2008 16:18

Hm, Snowdonia: Make sure that you visit my place of work here
Posted by: sn00p

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/04/2008 05:57

For various reasons I've managed to miss every single empeg meet!

I'm a definite for this one. Plus it's on my doorstep!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 12/04/2008 08:07

Yes, of course i will come take a look there.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 22/04/2008 02:08

We definitely do need to sort out a suitable base. Two years ago, it was really great having most all of us staying at the same hotel.

Well, SWMBO & I are now booked for a B&B downtown, a block or so from the central bus station area. We plan to stay there for a few nights, taking trains/buses out to some of the surrounding sights and whatnot, before heading to Heathrow for the (direct) flight home.

On the front side of the meet, we're taking the train over to Belgium for a few days. Oughta be fun!

Cheers

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 28/04/2008 16:23

booked for a B&B downtown,

Being largely flat, Cambridge doesn't really have a downtown or for that matter an uptown.

Of course, if you want to liken Cambridge's compelling and attractive nightlife centre to a gravitational well, that might make sense. Though some might question the empirical value of such a comparison.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 29/04/2008 00:52

Originally Posted By: JonnyGee
booked for a B&B downtown,

Being largely flat, Cambridge doesn't really have a downtown or for that matter an uptown.

Silly me. I was mainly going by the definition from The Pocket Oxford Dictionary I keep at hand here, like as if that would have any relevance to Cambridge! smile

Cheers

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 08/05/2008 16:22

I just checked flights to get from Houston to London for the empeg meet. Wow, approximately $1100 (including taxes) for a coach class ticket on any of the days I might want to travel. Anybody done any better?
Posted by: petteri

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 08/05/2008 18:30

Originally Posted By: DWallach
I just checked flights to get from Houston to London for the empeg meet. Wow, approximately $1100 (including taxes) for a coach class ticket on any of the days I might want to travel. Anybody done any better?

That's probably as good as it's going to get. With oil hovering around $120 a barrel ticket prices aren't going to go down anytime soon. I looked at www.kayak.com for prices.

Planning Update - 20/05/2008 10:50

We're currently thinking along the lines of splitting the day into a morning event - possibly clay pigeon shooting - and the main party in the afternoon and evening. We expect about fifty guests and I don't think my new garden is up to the job, so I'm looking to book a venue. That will introduce some additional cost but between fifty of us I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

I'll assume that most of the guests intend to stay in Cambridge, and will organise transport to our venues from a central location.

I'll be looking for some volunteers to help organise various aspects of the party within the next week or two. It may also be nice to organise some events for the Friday and/or Sunday, so if you have any ideas or can contribute please get in touch.

If you haven't been added to the evite please hassle me!

Cheers

Rob

Proposed Format - 21/05/2008 08:38

I've put together an itinerary for your consideration. Please get your comments to me as soon as possible so I can gauge whether this will work for everyone. The costings are (fairly accurate) estimates right now.

Morning Shoot

Clay pigeon shooting at Haddon Lodge near Peterborough. Akai Digital did this at Christmas and it was great fun despite the freezing conditions - which I'm sure won't be an issue in July! The shooting ground has several traps with different trajectories such as pigeon, grouse and rabbit. We split into groups of about five and work through all of the traps, with prizes at the end for the three top guns. Each group has expert supervision and tuition, and the activity is suitable both for people who have never so much as held a shotgun and for experts alike.

The cost would be £50 per person which includes cartridges and transportation from and back to Cambridge.

Lunch at a Cambridgeshire country pub.

Afternoon

Your own time around Cambridge, or a city tour if there is interest.

Evening

The empeg 10th birthday party at Chilford Hall near Cambridge. This local vineyard was the venue for the empeg 5th birthday party and is set in beautful Cambridgeshire countryside. A working vineyard, the venue boasts a fully restored nineteenth century hall and courtyard.

For those that care to partake, the evening will begin with a vineyard tour and wine tasting at £5 a head. You'll see the vines and the wine making process, and sample from Chilford's award winning range.

Dinner in the courtyard will comprise a hog roast, rib eye steaks, lamb kebabs and locally made sausages served with a range of salads, cheeses and desserts. Vegetarian options will also be available. A pay bar will be open throughout the party and we'll pre-pay for a firkin of local ale and soft drinks. Perhaps the vodka luge will make a welcome return!

We have some special events lined up for the party, and of course the empeg disco will be powered by your playlists! We have the venue until 1am.

The cost for the party including venue hire, dinner, beer and soft drinks will be around £40 a head. Other drinks will be from the pay bar. A coach from and back to Cambridge will be arranged, pricing to be determined but certainly cheaper than taxis.

Please let me know what you think of the itinerary and whether the costs are acceptable. I have us pencilled in for both events and need to confirm with the venues within the next week.

Cheers

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 21/05/2008 08:51

It sounds excellent Rob, really looking forward to it.

Re: Proposed Format - 21/05/2008 10:28

I believe we still need to arrange a repairs desk venue in there somewhere.

Cheers

Re: Proposed Format - 21/05/2008 10:53

How about an empeg workshop session during the afternoon before the party? I can make an electronics facility available to anyone who wants to come along and get work carried out on their empeg, or just hang out and chat tech.

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 21/05/2008 16:48

Sound great! Geeks with guns. Wine, Firkins of Ale and Meat. What could go wrong? smile

One small question, will there be a recommended/advised hotel this year? I guess the coach will leave from only one spot in cambridge?

Re: Proposed Format - 22/05/2008 07:10

Cambridge is so small that any city centre hotel is within walking distance of any other. The out of town hotels would take a taxi ride.

If folks want to be at the same hotel for socialising then we could certainly recommend one... who's still looking for accommodation?

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 22/05/2008 08:07

Quote:
who's still looking for accommodation?

Me smirk

Re: Proposed Format - 23/05/2008 05:27

And me smile

Re: Proposed Format - 23/05/2008 10:21

me too...

Cheers,
-Peter

Re: Proposed Format - 23/05/2008 16:12

A room for 2 somewhere will be required smile

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Proposed Format - 23/05/2008 19:33

Count us in for the afternoon and evening. One small problem, I'd love to contribute a playlist, but I don't have a functioning empeg at the moment. Is there a way round this?

Re: Proposed Format - 23/05/2008 23:56

Ach. Waiting to see how things go, but it is looking like I may spend early July working relief elder care on east coast. I could still get some sort of ticket with miles depending on how it goes.

Fark, I have shot so many things but not skeet.

Re: Proposed Format - 24/05/2008 14:15

Originally Posted By: Cris
A room for 2 somewhere will be required :

Nicola and I have booked into a B&B, from out findings cheapish hotel rooms are hard to find that weekend in Cambridge centre.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Proposed Format - 24/05/2008 14:39

Originally Posted By: andym
Count us in for the afternoon and evening. One small problem, I'd love to contribute a playlist, but I don't have a functioning empeg at the moment. Is there a way round this?

I happen to have a 'spare' empeg; if you can send me a USB stick (or simply point me at a URL somewhere) then I'll see what I can do.

PS - we're both looking forward to it. We'll drive up there early and stay for the evening. Fine with the costs. It'll be the first time we've ever used or even held a gun though smile

Re: Proposed Format - 24/05/2008 15:06

On further inspection it's possible I think I can create frankenpeg from the working bits of my two players. It'll only be a 16MB player but what the hell, maybe Mark can breathe life into my 32MB one which appears to have IDE and Ethernet problems.

Now, got to create a good playlist.....

Re: Proposed Format - 24/05/2008 21:02

maybe Mark can breathe life into my 32MB one which appears to have IDE and Ethernet problems.

Sure! Bring it along to the meet -- it may be fixable there, but if not I could bring it home with me for extra TLC, and then post it back to you.

cheers

Re: Proposed Format - 25/05/2008 21:24

Originally Posted By: dr_dos
me too...

Cheers,
-Peter

You have email.

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 04:37

I'm thinking about one of the hotels close in - as Claire fancies wandering round Cambridge for the day - so probably going to grab a room in the Hilton, unless everyone else is staying miles away.

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 09:58

I was thinking about the Hilton too, but they don't appear to have any rooms.

Ignore that, I was looking at the wrong month blush

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 16:28

The Hilton is in a great location in the city centre, it's at the mill pond which is a great place to drink in the summer!

Second good bit of news is that it wasn't always a Hilton so it should be nice! I had a friend who was a porter there and he helped Robert Plant with his luggage.

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 17:20

So are we going to see you there Adrian?

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 17:27

So are we going to see you there Adrian?

I'm going to specifically make sure that I'm not doing anything that weekend!

So I should definately be there!

Re: Proposed Format - 26/05/2008 18:36

Nice one!

To anyone else who's still undecided wether or not they're going to attend. Be there or be square(er)!

Re: Proposed Format - 27/05/2008 03:23

I was going to be there in the squarest vehicle I could think of, the Land Rover 101 Intercept or Vampire, but as they are right now up in Northwich, and anyway not the perfect vehicles for Cambridge, it will just be EasyJet this time.

Re: Proposed Format - 27/05/2008 07:21

The format seems to be popular, and as I have to pay in advance to confirm our bookings I'd like to request that you get your payments across to me as soon as possible. The cost I'm still uncertain of is transport, but if we get a decent turn out I think we're good.

To pay:

Clay Pigeon shooting in the morning, £50 per head
Party including dinner, transport and some drinks, £40 per head
Lunch & Wine tasting - pay on the day

Two payment options:

1. Direct to my bank account

If you can pay by this method I prefer it, as PayPal charge me 3.4% commission on all payments. I realise this probably only suits people with a UK bank account (foreign transfer fees would far outweight the PayPal commission).

Account 44041662 Sort Code 09-01-26

Put your name as the reference and email or PM me with details of who you are, how much you're paying and what it's for.

2. PayPal

Send your payment to [email protected] and include details of who you are and what you're paying for in the message field.

Finally, if you have particular dietary requirements please email or PM me.

Cheers

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 27/05/2008 19:04

Any chance of someone coming over from the states getting a couple of Atmel NGW100's and bringing them over to Cambridge for me? I don't seem to be able to find a UK distributor for them.

Re: Proposed Format - 27/05/2008 19:56

EBV elektronik are a UK distributer, we purchase all our atmel parts from them.

It's account only, so if you're just tinkering at home they won't be interested.

Digikey also supply this, but they don't appear to have any in stock.

Adrian

Re: Proposed Format - 28/05/2008 02:59

If you can't find a source by around 6/25 I may be able to get them for you. Mouser is out of stock but expecting them 6/25.

Re: Proposed Format - 28/05/2008 05:52

Account 44041662 Sort Code 09-01-26

Would you have the SWIFT/IBAN/BIC info?

Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 28/05/2008 18:42

SWMBO has booked us into this place in central Cambridge.

Here is her exhaustive research list, from when she was hunting for suitable accomodations there:

---snip---

Mostly B+Bs, some hotels.
-------------------------

"#n" = rating in TripAdvisor for B&Bs.

#5 Warkworth House Warkworth Terrace CB1 1EE L75-L85
central only L85 family room available. wireless
011 44 1 22 33 63 68 2
#15 El Shaddai 41 Warkworth St CB1 1EG L55
central "wireless available" 011-44- 1 22 33 27 97 8
prices include breakfast & taxes, and wireless
Regency House 7 Regent Terrace CB2 1AA L72+3%
500m from centre, busy street, continental breakfast (no wireless?)
Regent Hotel 41 Regent Street, CB2 1AB L109
wireless in lounge, price probably doesn't incl breakfast
Lensfield Hotel 53 Lensfield Rd CB2 1EN L99
incl wireless, breakfast. some quite bad reviews

Just NE of centre ~ 1mi across Cam & park
either the maps mark the addresses wrong or the numbering is whimsical
They are in close -> far order according to multimap
#24 Lynwood House 217 Chesterton Rd CB4 1AN L65-?
1mi from centre on univ. side - walk or bus, noisy street, wireless
#2H Ashley Hotel 74 Chesterton Rd CB4 1ER L75
hot breakfast incl. (no wireless?)
#7 Home from Home Guest House 78-80 Milton Rd CB4 1LA L65-80
Alpha Milton Guest House 61-3 Milton Rd CB4 1XA L90+5%
same locn as above (no wireless?)
#10 Harry's B&B 39 Milton Rd CB4 1XA L55-60
same locn as above, wireless
Carlton Lodge 245 Cheterton Rd CB4 1AS > L60
internet, continental breakfast
Kirkwood House 172 Chesterton CB4 1DA L50-90
getting a bit far along chesterton, wireless
Acorn Guest House 154 Chesterton Rd CB4 1DA L95
same as Kirkwood
#2 Worth House 152 Chesterton Rd CB4 1DA < L55

North of centre
#1 Finches 144 Thornton Road, Cambridge CB3 0ND L60-80
similar distance out to our '06 Oxford one, similar bus service, wireless

Between first ring and RR
#19 Railway Lodge 150 Tenison Rd CB1 2DP L55-60 +2%
quiet st, 2 blocks from rr, thin walls, old furnishings, wireless
#21 Alexander B&B 55 St Barnabas Rd CB1 2DE L70 +5%
800m from station, 1km from centre, continental breakfast (No wireless?)
The Ark 30 St Matthew's St, CB1 2LT < L55
about 1.6km from either centre or rail stns wireless iff stay > 3 days

Between RR and second ring
#22 Rockview B&B 99 Cherry Hinton Rd CB1 7BS
1.5km to train, 2km to centre, easy bus (no website -> no wireless?)
Bridge Guest House 151 Hills Rd CB2 8RJ L65
1km from rr, easy bus, (no wireless?)
#23 Iceni House 171 Coleridge Rd CB1 3PN L60 +3.5%
opp side of rr from downtown. bus OK. taxi from rail stn, wireless
Parkview Guesthouse 116 Vinery Rd CB1 3DT L75
similar locn, but quiet st. wireless
#4 Carolina Guest House 138 Perne Rd CB1 3NX L75
opp side of rr from downtown. bus OK. bus + walk from rail stn, wireless
Ashtrees Guest 128 Perne Rd CB1 3RR L58-65
similar locn to above, wireless
No 56, 56 Natal Rd CB1 3NY L45
opp side of rr from downtown. bus OK. bus + walk from rail stn, quiet road
breakfast = DIY cereal, crackers, jam rated 2.1/5 internet
#26 Aylesbray Lodge 5 Mowbray Rd CB1 7SR L55-85
fair ways out wrong side of tracks, wireless
The Mowbray, 32 Mowbray Rd CB1 7SY L55
similar locn to above, wi-fi
#14 Acacia Guesthouse 157 Mowbray CB1 7SP L55-60
2km from train, easy bus to centre, wireless

#27 -> #62 either reviews older than 2004 or not rated

#11, 13, 20 not in Cambridge!
#3, 6, 9, 12, 16, 17, 18, 25 too far out

No wireless
#8 Benson House 24 Huntingdon Rd CB3 0HH -- NO internet, 1mi to centre

#27 -- no rooms --Dresden Villa Guest House 34 Cherry Hinton Rd CB1 7AA

Re: Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 29/05/2008 01:36

Oh man, all this looks like fun. Unfortunately, I can't make it because I haven't got any spare funds for travel. Have a blast, drink a hogs head, and shoot a cannon!

Re: Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 29/05/2008 08:43

Dammit man, sell a kidney!

Re: Proposed Format - 29/05/2008 13:01

Originally Posted By: julf
Would you have the SWIFT/IBAN/BIC info?

IBAN GB62ABBY09012644041662
SWIFT ABBYGB2L
BANK Abbey PLC

Cheers

Rob

Re: Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 29/05/2008 13:05

Oh no! Logan stayed there for a few weeks - the guy who runs it is an absolute nutter (I have heard it said). He predicts the future and is Christ's right hand man (so I hear). Harmless enough though I daresay.

Rob

Re: Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 29/05/2008 13:11

Dammit man, sell a kidney!

Yeah! It doesn't have to be one of your kidneys...

wink

Motor Vehicles - 29/05/2008 13:11

I was asked if we'll be doing anything with cars this year, i.e. whether it's worth bringing particularly nice (or nasty!) examples thereof.

The venue is in its own grounds with lots of parking so there is an opportunity to look at installations etc, but I wonder how many people would choose to drive? The venue isn't within walking distance of any accommodation, so I imagine most partiers will be taking the coach.

There's also the possibility to drive to the shooting in the morning. If enough people wanted to do that we may even have enough lifts to not bother with a mini bus.

Share your thoughts..

Rob

Re: Cambridge B&Bs, some hotels - 29/05/2008 13:26

Oh no! Logan stayed there for a few weeks - the guy who runs it is an absolute nutter (I have heard it said). He predicts the future and is Christ's right hand man (so I hear). Harmless enough though I daresay.

Yeah, at least he is up-front about the nuttiness on their web site. smile But we don't plan to hang around there much, other than for sleeping and breakfast, so no big deal. Other than that, it's a great location with quite decent rates.

Cheers

Re: Proposed Format - 30/05/2008 06:42

IBAN GB62ABBY09012644041662
SWIFT ABBYGB2L
BANK Abbey PLC

Great! Thanks! Carrier pidgeon sent from Dutch bank, let's see how long it takes for it to cross the channel...

Re: Proposed Format - 30/05/2008 13:51

Bring it along to the meet -- it may be fixable there, but if not I could bring it home with me for extra TLC, and then post it back to you.

My spare empeg needs a new handle. I've got the parts (thanks Rob S), but it could use someone with smaller fingers than I've got. Anyone fancy fitting it for me? wink

Re: Proposed Format - 30/05/2008 17:05

Originally Posted By: Roger
My spare empeg needs a new handle. I've got the parts (thanks Rob S), but it could use someone with smaller fingers than I've got. Anyone fancy fitting it for me? wink

Sure, bring it along to the repair desk session, when/where ever that happens.

Cheers

Re: Proposed Format - 02/06/2008 05:55

Couldn't get in to the Hilton, but the Crowne Plaza seems nice so we're staying there. We managed to get our two eldest froglets looked after (they're off to Portugal) but couldn't get childcare for Lexie, so Claire won't make it to the evening do this time. She's up for the pub lunch, but plans to explore Cambridge a bit with Lexie.

Hopefully the repair desk will happen - I'll get that last wire soldered on...

We will definitely be driving down - have to take the Foz for a proper hoon, but think I fancy the wine tasting, so it will have to stay at the hotel!
Posted by: Boelle

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 09:10

i can't make it either, no money for travel and have to work...

is there some rule that the yearly meet have to be in the UK ?
Posted by: tman

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 09:28

They at one point used to be in Amersfoort because RobS lived there. Otherwise, its all been in Cambridge where empeg used to be based. People have organised various mini meets on their own however.

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 09:32

Originally Posted By: Boelle

No, the first 5 or so annual meets were in the Netherlands. The last 3 have been in the UK.*

It all comes down to who has the energy to organise them. When RodS took on the burden to organise them they were based where he lived in the Netherlands, when UK based people have taken on the burden the events have been in the UK.

I'm sure if someone based in mainland Europe took on organising an event then plenty of us UK based folks would do our best to cross the channel again.

*I've probably got the exact numbers wrong

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 09:45

i got the idea of orgaising an event... maybe not excatly next year but then the next after

but it all comes down to what everyone else things, also i have to get ideas for what to do during an event (like going to a paintball range etc.), there is also such as booking hotels and arrange transport for those comming without car...

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 09:57

The hotel booking for the UK events has always been down to individuals to sort out, as we've never managed to get enough people booking up front to sort out a group booking (though it is better when everyone is in the same hotel).

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 10:02

i had that in mind, but if there would be the need for a mini-bus (or a bus) it would be more easy if all where in the same place... anyway it would not be a big deal for me to arrange a group booking

Re: Proposed Format - 06/06/2008 10:12

but what are people most up to? hotels? there is also the option to use a camp/caraven site (with small houses/cabin)

Re: Proposed Format - 09/06/2008 14:21

This isn't an empeg meet as such, this is our 10th anniversary celebration which seemed nice to throw open to all our dedicated customers. We had a 5th birthday party at the same venue.

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 09/06/2008 14:25

but what are people most up to? hotels? there is also the option to use a camp/caraven site (with small houses/cabin)

There are campsites around Cambridge, for example:

http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=6060

Bed & breakfast guest houses are also relatively cheap. Try activehotels.com as they have lots of the independents.

Regards

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 09/06/2008 16:00

I'll update this list of payments received from time to time, so if you have made a payment which should have cleared and your name is missing please contact me.

Name, Party, Shooting

Rory, 1, 0
Julf, 1, 1
David (littlebluething), 2, 2
Roger, 2, 1
Mike C, 2, 0
David M, 1, 0
Bas, 1, 1
Brian, 1, 1
Mark L, 2, 1
Hugo, 2, 0
Sein, 1, 1
Chris, 2, 0
John G, 1,1
Rob R, 1, 1
Dave E, 1, 1
Mike S, 1, 1
Mel, 1, 1
Richard, 1, 0
Andy N, 2, 2
Toby, 2, 0
Peter, 1, 0
Patrick, 1, 1

Party: 30
Shooting: 16

If you haven't sent me your payment yet please do so as soon as possible, or at least definite confirmation that you're coming. I have to pay the venue *today* in theory.

Thanks!

Rob

UPDATED 2008-06-16

Re: Proposed Format - 09/06/2008 20:03

ohh, i thought there was a yearly meet for empeg owners...

Re: Proposed Format - 09/06/2008 20:50

ohh, i thought there was a yearly meet for empeg owners...

There is normally, this year is a little different.

Re: Proposed Format - 10/06/2008 05:21

how many does normal show up at the yearly meets?

and what activity's could be of interest?

Playlists and Mixes - 10/06/2008 17:11

Hi There

As legendary unreconstructed post-punk stadium-fillers ABBA once observed, "I'm in the mood for dancing".

"To what?", Nietzsche would undoubtedly reply and of course the only philosophically credible answer is: your mixes and playlists!!

We can accept playlists or mixes on car players, portables, CDs and probably other formats too. Please aim for about 25 mins duration (roughly) and drop me a PM or email if you would like to be given a "slot" as they call it in the scheduling biz.

Cheers, John

Repair Desk - 11/06/2008 09:11

I don't think a repair desk is going to work well at the venue - instead I can offer a well equipped workshop in Cambridge during the Saturday afternoon provided someone is willing to take on responsibility for organising it, locking up etc. This will fit in between the shooting/lunch and the party.

If you would like to take on organising repairers and repairees please let me know.

Rob

Re: Repair Desk - 11/06/2008 13:30

hi rob

is it not you that have empegrepair.com ? if so i dont know if you got my mail regarding help with repairs?

as of now i have got a little experience with the empeg so i thought that an extra hand would not be in the way

cheers
bo

Re: Repair Desk - 11/06/2008 13:37

hi rob

is it not you that have empegrepair.com ?

Wrong Rob. Rob is Rob Voisey, not the Rob Schofield (aka. schofiel) whom you seek.

-ml

Final Call for Shooting - 12/06/2008 07:41

I have to confirm the numbers for the shooting, as the club need to arrange for sufficient tutors. So far we have:

Me
Julf
David + Denise
Roger
Bas
Brian
Mark
Sein
Rob R
John G
Dave E

...plus some observers.

If anyone else wants to join us please let me know before Monday 16th June. I can vouch that the event is a lot of fun, and the clays do not suffer unduly.

Cheers

Rob

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 12/06/2008 07:45

+ Eryl and I

I'll be sorting myself out and sending you some money today.

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 12/06/2008 14:02

I have to confirm the numbers for the shooting,

Wait, is this an empeg meet, or the six o'clock news?

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 12/06/2008 14:25

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Wait, is this an empeg meet, or the six o'clock news?

I guess there's the potential for it to go either way!

Rob

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 13/06/2008 08:36

Count me and a friend of mine in. I'll transfer the money asap.

-Peter
Posted by: rowitech

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 14/06/2008 10:11

Heaven! What do I read here? The empeg is about to be 10 years old? What an interesting time we had. Wireless LAN, BLuetooh, Navigational functions, I tested everything which wasn't deleted until I found it. Guys, thank you for that!

I am unable to be at the party but I wish all the carpal tunnels and all the others do have a really good party and I hope you will take some photographs. And if you don't mind I have a wish: Let's have a party again in 10 years. Then I assure you I will be there!

best regards from Germany,
Rolf

(still a little bit sad about not be able to be there)

Re: Final Call for Shooting - 18/06/2008 00:36

Originally Posted By: rowitech
I am unable to be at the party but ...

... But surely you could find a Eurostar ticket or something for the weekend ??

Oh well. It would be really cool to (at last!) meet up with you there.

SWMBO & I are off for England and Belgium soon-ish, and from there to The Party. We can hardly wait!

Cheers all!

Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 22/06/2008 06:42

I was wondering if anyone flying in from the states would pick one of these for me please ???

I have tried to find one (PMBAG06 for Epson Picturemate 260) everywhere in Europe but have had no luck. I am also after the battery but I can find that here, but if there is a cheap place in the US that stocks both I wouldn't mind the battery too.

I can pay in UK pounds at the meet, or by Paypal in US Dollars now.

Can anyone help out smile

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 23/06/2008 13:37

You could pay from here and have the bag sent to an American address, so no money need be involved with your volunteer.
Speaking of which, would anybody like to bring across a small piece of clear plastic, a part for a zCover ipod cover, costing $10: I baulk at paying $40 to have it shipped and nobody keeps them here. As I say, I can pay for it from here.

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 23/06/2008 20:13

I can bring just about anything, as long as it arrives to my house by July 2nd. Send me pm about it and we'll work out the details.

Brian

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 27/06/2008 12:15

SWMBO and I will drive down Friday late morning and get a wander round Cambridge centre before dinner somewhere. Anyone have any plans for Friday evening? Or any thoughts on a nice restaurant? We are staying centrally - Crowne Plaza so I guess everything is in walking distance.

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 27/06/2008 12:28

Eryl and I will be around Friday evening too, it would be good to meet up.

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 27/06/2008 13:37

PM sent with my contact details
Posted by: robricc

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 27/06/2008 13:44

Bas and I will also be around.

Re: Repair Desk - 27/06/2008 14:06

If you would like to take on organising repairers and repairees please let me know.

I would. Can candidate repairers and repairees please PM me and I'll see what can be arranged. We're thinking of doing it at the venue now (there's more space than we thought) during the early part of the event. I want to guage interest first though.

Cheers, John

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 28/06/2008 03:20

I'll be in town as well and would like to meet up.

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 28/06/2008 09:58

Originally Posted By: bmihulka
I'll be in town as well and would like to meet up.

Likewise.

Friday - 28/06/2008 10:05

We will arrive around Friday noon and stay at the Crown Plaza as well.

Cheers,
-Peter

Re: Can someone from the US pick me up one of these ??? - 28/06/2008 10:25

I'd like to find out why the sound from the phono sockets on my Mark Lord dock sounds like the Who warming up in the '60's. I've tested the dock with a multimeter (And the possibility of a fault in a dock must be negligible), so I think that it must be something loose in the Empeg.

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 28/06/2008 14:08

Originally Posted By: boxer
I'd like to find out why the sound from the phono sockets on my Mark Lord dock sounds like the Who warming up in the '60's. I've tested the dock with a multimeter (And the possibility of a fault in a dock must be negligible), so I think that it must be something loose in the Empeg.

Well, bring along both the empeg and the dock, if you can. It appears that JG is setting up a late afternoon session for us at Akai, and I hope to be in residence there for a couple of hours, working on anything that anyone cares to bring over.

Cheers

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 06:28

Feel inclined to do a couple of rotary encoder replacements?

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 10:36

Oh please - I need mine replaced as well...

-Peter

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 13:56

Sure, so long as the plaintiffs have new encoders available -- bring yours along, Julf. smile

SWMBO & I are already across the pond, so my own tiny stock is now unavailable.

We will likely have access here to RobS's parts bins, which may have some rotary encoders in them. So bring along your player as well, Petr.

Cheers

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 14:58

Hi All

The repair desk will be in Cambridge at the AKAI office, running in the afternoon. I've got a gew green rotary encoders if we need them.

Thanks Mark!

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 15:54

i've got a tray of mk2 encoders if that's of any use.

Re: Can someone from the UHi Mark It wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 16:47

Hi Andy

Are those the green ones or the blue ones?

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 17:26

working on anything that anyone cares to bring over.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I need the handle replaced on my spare empeg. I've got the parts (although I might be short of the screws), it just needs someone with a more subtle touch than I've got. I'll bring it by the Akai office to shoot the breeze and see if you've got time to fix it.

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 17:51

Blue ones if memory serves, they're definitely SMT.

I need the ide and ethernet looking at on my main player. Staying at my parents in Lincoln on Friday night, so should be in Cambridge noonish.

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 29/06/2008 19:04

Roger, if they're the short M3 countersunk jobbies then I have some of them too.

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 30/06/2008 12:13

I'll bring my encoders if I can find the ones I have. But please, anyone with a bunch of them, bring them along...

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 30/06/2008 14:42

We'll have Rob S's complete empeg spares stock available for the repair session.

I need to know how many people are coming to the shooting but who are not participating, so please email me if that's you.

Thanks!

Rob

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 30/06/2008 14:57

I am assuming that we will be meeting in a more central pub for lunch on the Saturday ???

If that's the case I really fancy the punting again, if people who are not going to the repair session would like to join me?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 30/06/2008 15:49

I'm going to try and do both. I'd like to get my player looked at, but i'd also like to give punting another go. What time will the repairs session kick off?

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 30/06/2008 22:54

I'll be up for some punting.

Re: Can someone from the UHi MarkIt wouS pick me up one of these ??? - 01/07/2008 07:08

Ah, I can sit back and chat up the girls, whilst you struggle. Make dsure that you've studied the manual, this time: http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/college_life/student_life/societies/punt/instructions.html

Re: The Punting Goddess - 01/07/2008 07:43

Maybe they should rent a punt with a professional: cool

http://picasaweb.google.com/robricc/EuropeanEmpegMeet2006/photo#4976591693502939154

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 08:02

There's also the possibility to drive to the shooting in the morning. If enough people wanted to do that we may even have enough lifts to not bother with a mini bus.

I'll have 4 spaces in my car.

If that's the case I really fancy the punting again, if people who are not going to the repair session would like to join me?

I'm so there!

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 08:12

Originally Posted By: sein

I'll have 4 spaces in my car.

We'll have 3 in ours.

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 08:30

Is there no ale on the shooting range? Then i have 1 free spot (helmet needed though) smile

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 10:56

Originally Posted By: andy
We'll have 3 in ours.

I'll be leaving the car with the missus (I figure that Charlie won't be particularly enamoured of the noise, so they won't be spectating for the clays), so could I cadge a lift from someone?

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 11:11

As usual, I'll be renting a car. I should have 3 or 4 spaces available.

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 11:49

I sent out an itinerary update with a request to email me various details, mostly transport related. If you're coming to the meet and you didn't get that email let me know! Please get those emails to me as soon as possible so I can tie up the last few loose ends.

Note for Peter R - your dv-kombinat.de email address tried to forward to another address and bounced. Let me know how to contact you.

Cheers

Rob

Re: Motor Vehicles - 01/07/2008 13:42

Rob, I received your email.

-Peter

Re: The Punting Goddess - 01/07/2008 18:40

Originally Posted By: Schido

Hmm - what's the odds she'll be back this year...

Re: The Punting Goddess - 02/07/2008 09:13

By the way the coach pick-up point is very close to some of the punting stations. A bit of good timing could save a walk..

Rob

Re: Proposed Format - 03/07/2008 10:05

Rob,

Have I missed the boat? Had so much stuff going on that I forgot about this...

I'm not interested in the clay pidgeon shooting, but would be interested in the meal (if not too late) and other activities!

I live just outside of cambridge.

Adrian

Re: Proposed Format - 03/07/2008 11:53

Adrian, you have a PM, contact me ASAP.

Setup helper needed - 03/07/2008 11:58

John G and I need one more person to help with setting up at Chilford Hall during Saturday afternoon. We will be leaving Cambridge as soon as we get back from the shooting (it may be necessary for us to miss the pub lunch if the shooting over runs). You would come to the venue with us in the van (for this reason we need exactly one extra helper) and help set up the lighting, sound system and decor. Some lifting will be involved.

If you can help please let me know ASAP. Of course you should not volunteer if you are going punting, to the repair session, if you're providing transport for others, or if you don't want to risk missing the pub lunch.

Thanks

Rob

Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 13:48

For those who like to get celebrations under way at the earliest opportunity, we will meet at the Eagle public house on Bene't Street at 6.30pm (earlier or later is fine). This may or may not be the oldest pub still operating in Cambridge, since at least 1667 (the building dating back to 1525). It'll be busy so we'll gather wherever we can find space (outside is nice if it's sunny).

We'll move on to the Eraina Taverna just across the street at 8pm. I have a table booked in the name of Empeg. The Eraina has.. err.. an eclectic menu, but it's good value, the house red is drinkable and cheap as chips, and the place is something of an empeg haunt which will make us all feel young again.

On Saturday we'll have lunch at the White Horse in at Swavesey, about 15 miles north east of Cambridge.

http://www.whitehorseswavesey.com/

Tables are booked in the name “Empeg” for 1pm. If we get there earlier we can enjoy some of their real ales.

I've updated the event map with these locations:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8...92c8c2&z=10

An updated printable itinerary will go out later today.

Rob

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 17:09

I'm on my way: http://schido.blogspot.com
Which pub at 6.30 am?

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 18:09

Great picture of the Manchester meet BTW.

Ahh the memories smile

Cheers

Cris

(Read memories: sleepless nights and the longest day ever! I think I clocked up a 19 hour day on the Sat smile )

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 19:13

Denise and I are up for punting - we'll be with the shooting crowd and I'm sure we'll pop in to the repair shack...

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 20:44

BTW, Martina won't make it to Cambridge this time since she has to take care of our new family member Dorian

-Peter

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 03/07/2008 21:36

Congratulations!
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 00:23

That's really nice, with those soulful brown eyes and intelligent gaze.

Oh, and the kid's kinda cute too. smile

tanstaafl.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 05:58

Congrats!!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 06:01

Originally Posted By: Schido
I'm on my way

Ahh, I knew I should have taken the bike (too bad the Hesketh isn't quite ready to go yet!). As it is I will be heading to the airport to catch an not-so-Easyjet flight in the afternoon...

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 11:57

Bas and I are at The Eagle already. Let's get the party started.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 12:23

Originally Posted By: robricc

...and I'm still at work :-(

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 12:50

It's my favourite place to drink (after the mill pond in summer). Will be there ASAP after work!

Happy drinking!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 12:53

frown

Still at work until 19:00 frown

See you guys tomorrow smile

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 12:54

Is there (free) wifi there?

(SWMBO & I are over at the not-really-so-nutters' place right now)

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 12:58

Is there (free) wifi there?

(SWMBO & I are over at the not-really-so-nutters' place right now)

And how many remember who/where this was:

DJ sets lineup - 04/07/2008 13:07

Here are Saturday's DJ sets/playlists...

Little Blue MC - Fresh and fruity chilled Tango - 8:00
DJ Schido - Ska-Punk-Blues-Rock-Folk-with-a-theme - 10:00
Ian B Dog - Hard-core, breaks-core, funky-core and core-core - 10:30
Andy &#8220;in the place&#8221; M - A techno-electronica build-up/tear-down mix-bag - 11:00
The Hulkster - A journey through indie, rock and electronica - 11:30
MC Peter Choon-ley - A brief history of manchester - 12:00
??? Mystery DJ ??? - 12:30

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 13:11

No open hot spots that the iPhone can see. Just expensive GPRS.
Posted by: theGecko

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 04/07/2008 16:43

Due to a hectic lifestyle, I'm unsure how much of this I can attend. I see there is a lunch in Swavesy, though which I have no excuse not to attend seeing as I live 3 miles away smile

Hope to meet some like-minded people there tomorrow!

Rob

Re: DJ sets lineup - 04/07/2008 20:43

At this time, we are pleased to confirm the following addition to the lineup:

DJ Dr DOS - Nu-Old-Middle Skool Electronica - 8.30

Re: DJ sets lineup - 04/07/2008 21:53

hope you guys have had an excellent ale-soaked evening. Hopefully see you all at the pub tomorrow afternoon!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 05/07/2008 05:21

Originally Posted By: Rob

We'll move on to the Eraina Taverna just across the street at 8pm.

Mark, Claire, kid, Rory, Adrian, TobyS, Wolfgang, PeterR, ????, Peter, Jane, Eryl, Bass, Hussein, RobV, Julf, Andy, RobR, JonnyGee, Mike.

Apologies for any misnaming/misspelling -- corrections encouraged!

Time for an upgrade.. - 05/07/2008 05:33

Oh, and now would be a really good time to upgrade to a recent Hijack kernel if you haven't already done so. smile

And set the date/time correctly, too.

Cheers

Re: Time for an upgrade.. - 05/07/2008 05:58

Oh, and now would be a really good time to upgrade to a recent Hijack kernel if you haven't already done so. smile

And set the date/time correctly, too.

Cheers

Now he tells us: my empeg power supply's in London, along with my null-modem cable (not that this laptop's got real serial on it anyway...).

News Bulletin: Rory defends title!! - 06/07/2008 06:59

Empeg News Bulletin:

On his first attempt at the new empeg Whack-A-Mole game, Rory successfully defended his title as the reigning empeg gaming champion.

His open-ended score of 40 (the game crashed at that point) now stands as the all-time record for the sport. smile

For this effort, he won a bottle of the local white wine, and the only existing leather official empeg carry bag, courtesy of Hugo. This bag was apparently a prototype, and is identical to the more common nylon versions, but with a gloss black leather exterior.

Two years ago, at Duxford, Rory won a home dock for the best score at Breakout on the empeg.

Well done (again!), Rory!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 12:45

Updated: Mark, Claire, kid, Rory, Adrian, TobyS, Wolfgang, PeterR, Brian, Peter, Jane, Eryl, Bass, Hussein, RobV, Julf, Andy, RobR, JonnyGee, Mike.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 15:14

Back home now and despite my soaking in the Cam this afternoon, we had a great time. Well done to rob for organising Saturday. It was great to see so many people there again. Here's to next year. I need a shower now though...
Posted by: theGecko

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 17:55

It was good to meet a few of you in Swavesey, hope the evening didn't get too messy smile

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 18:54

Just arrived home as well after a particularly wet 412 mile drive! A bit tired, but uploading and viewing some excellent pics now (some going on my Flickr page ) . A wonderful weekend - thanks to everyone involved in organising it.

I am delighted by my bags which match my empegs:

I will be stress testing Whack-a-mole - we'll get 40 beat smile

And now that Mark and Hugo got my address wire sorted, I now just need to sort my own soldering errors and one of these babies will be embiggened too! Thanks for the fine dexterity skillz.

signed - Punt Magnet

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 19:23

Yes, the roads were very wet. A BMW driver found this out the hard way as he came sideways down my road during the tennis and ended up wrapped around the tree outside my house! Luckily everyone is ok.

Such a great weekend. Thanks to Rob V and all the other guys who put in so much work to get it all organised. The few photos I took are uploaded here.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 06/07/2008 19:56

Originally Posted By: frog51

signed - Punt Magnet

We are definitely going to have to get you that t-shirt...

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 06:19

I returned home to find the family watching the men's final and it struck me: How similar the umpire's chair is to Patrick's robot!
It would be great if the umpire set off for a lap of honour, without the option.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 13:08

Thanks to RobV and everyone else who helped organise things, we had a great weekend. Can't believe no one else has posted a picture of the cake yet !

The rest of our (somewhat small) set of photos are here:

http://www.norman.cx/photos/?r=empeg%2010th%20birthday

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 14:27

OH MY GOD THAT CAKE IS AWESOME.

That's "ace of cakes" quality, that is.

Wow.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 14:30

Wow - didn't realise that the multicoloured mound was a pile of old shell cases!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 14:52

Originally Posted By: boxer
How similar the umpire's chair is to Patrick's robot!

Hehehe, I'm just imagining a swap of the umpire's chair with a Patrick enchanced version. Driving the umpire around the court is just stuff legends are made of.

Here is a video of the bot in action

also

Patrick changing his Empeg display in the competition and Hugo changing his display.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 15:28

Arrived in chepstow, after a drive with just enough sun to get me dry in between the showers, thank you all and see you next year.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 15:36

A big "Thank You!" from me too - it was a great party!

Now back in Amsterdam, but unable to shake the thought of getting a Numark HDmix...

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 18:14

Yes, a big thank you from Nicola and myself smile

A great weekend, the highlights for me were the surprise pinball meet at the pub on Saturday (good job the service was so bad, otherwise I would still have that £20 in my pocket! But it did all go to a local charity.), the Quiz at the party was the work of genius (esp the display change part - what was that music?), the drive back to our B&B in Rory's car and seeing Andy bravely attempting to retrieve his punting pole from the river with full commitment (and a change of clothes) on Sunday smile

I enjoyed the relaxed feel to the weekend, testament to the great organisation and planning. Thanks guys and I am already looking forward to next year.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 18:45

the Quiz at the party was the work of genius (esp the display change part - what was that music?)

Fatboy Slim - Kalifornia

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 19:19

the Quiz at the party was the work of genius

There was a quiz ? Why didn't someone tell me ? I'd have loved sitting down and watching a geek quiz...

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 20:13

Rory's car is nuts. It may have the aerodynamic properties of a brick, but it makes up for it with so much power!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 07/07/2008 20:14

Originally Posted By: sein
Fatboy Slim - Kalifornia

Ah yes, not listened to that for ages. Thanks.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 01:43

Back in the US now, and I would also like to extend my thanks to all those that made this event possible.

Here are my pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/robricc/Empeg10thBirthdayParty

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 10:55

Rory's car is nuts. It may have the aerodynamic properties of a brick, but it makes up for it with so much power!

And there was me taking it easy so as not to make anyone feel queasy:-) Those were good back roads for the journey back to Cambridge though...a good test of Halogen headlights!

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 11:14

There was a brief moment where I thought the ale might make an unwelcome return. But I found that closing my eyes and concentrating helped!

Re: Empeg 2008 photos - 08/07/2008 16:34

Thanks to everyone for having had another great weekend.

Here are pictures made by myself and Gaby, sorted by EXIF date order.
Notice the slight clock drift between our cameras.

http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/fotos/empeg2008/empeg2008.html

Pim

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 16:42

Back home now and despite my soaking in the Cam this afternoon, we had a great time.

Didn't anyone catch that moment on their camera or mobile phone?

Pim

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 16:49

Only the aftermath, there are some blurred shots of a damp andym on our photos.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 18:08

My Dad went to Cambridge and when I told him what had happened on Sunday he told me about a friend of his who fell in after punting and was asked to do it again by a man on a bridge who wanted to catch it on his cine camera!

He was given a pound for his troubles. This was in the early 60's so I'm not sure what that would be today, but I'd imagine it's approx. £15, so, to a student it's probably worth it.

Re: Friday Dinner and Saturday Lunch venues - 08/07/2008 18:52

Especially if you're already wet.
Posted by: pca

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 08:44

Hi.

I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed the weekend. As always, meeting so many friends I see so rarely is a real treat, and the entertainment was first rate. I consider myself very lucky to know so many people from so many places who will take the time to come so far to get together, all because of a stainless steel box of music smile

It's always a shame when it ends, knowing it's going to be a year before I see most of you again. Still, it gives me something to look forward to!

pca

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 14:20

i'm still ready to arrange a meeting next year, but i guess that i need some "help" from people who hav done it before...

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:33

It's local assistance you'll need more than anything, someone to check out venues, restaurants and the like. I don't think there's anyone here that can help you with that.

To me, these days it's a far more social thing than just a sit down technical session (although it still does play a part).

I have to say I really like having it in Cambridge now, there's plenty to see and do there.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:44

well i thought it could be nice to move it from country to country each year

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:46

How about every other year in cambridge, every other in some other country (assuming we find volunteer organizers, of course)?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:48

Can't see it would make a massive difference, we had it at Amersfoort for at least 6 years.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:49

sounds great to me...

what i meant by help is more ideas for a program for a meeting (what activity's and so on)

contacting hotels and so on is what i'm lees afraid of

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:53

what i meant by help is more ideas for a program for a meeting (what activity's and so on)

Yet again, that sounds like something that having local knowledge is going to be crucial. Surely you know what activities you can get up to near wherever you decide to hold it.

It's 'a lot' of work and involves paying for a lot of things up front. Everyone who's organised a meet can attest to that.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:56

Surely you know what activities you can get up to near wherever you decide to hold it.

yep, i can find so many things thati have to choose a few out

It's 'a lot' of work and involves paying for a lot of things up front. Everyone who's organised a meet can attest to that.

no doubt about that, who said everything has to be easy? grin

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 15:58

Surely you know what activities you can get up to near wherever you decide to hold it.

yep, i can find so many things thati have to choose a few out

So what do you need help with?

no doubt about that, who said everything has to be easy? grin

It's all very well saying that now.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 16:04

So what do you need help with?

choose what will suit people most...

about paying up front... well that might be a problem (maybe i could win the lottery or someting)

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 16:16

I think you'd have to approach it from a social rather than a technical angle. Bear in mind the technical stuff is usually dictated by the people who decide to come. Say for instance, there would be no point offering a repairs bench like this year if none of the empeg guys, pca or mlord hadn't already signed up.

Why don't you have a search through the forum, the itineraries have always been published over the years, maybe get some ideas from that?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 16:28

How about every other year in cambridge, every other in some other country (assuming we find volunteer organizers, of course)?

Can we include countries in North America every once in a while? I'm really sick of not being able to attend because I can't really afford $1500 in travel expenses. Of course, you guys can't readily afford that any more than I can....

Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:29

We're back in Canada now, and my photos won't be ready for some time yet.

Meanwhile, a big thank-you to Rob Voisey, for yet another extraordinary event! Wow!

And thanks to Hugo for allowing us to rummage through his electronic cast-offs, and to Rory for the bottle of scotch that we have yet to enjoy!

And to everyone else as well. It really great seeing and mingling with you all -- let's plan to do it again really soon!

Meanwhile.. SWMBO & I have now implemented a project we planned after the 2006 meet:

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:32

Meanwhile.. SWMBO & I have now implemented a project we planned after the 2006 meet:

What on earth is wrong with a Canadian kettle ?

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:37

A British market boiling kettle in our Canadian kitchen -- woo-hoo, boils a full quart in about 3 minutes!

The point being, that our 120VAC kettles top out at 1500W, are generally ill-designed, and take forever to boil water.

The UK (and EU) kettles just seem to be much better designed, and operate on 240VAC, thereby allowing up to double the wattage, and much faster boiling times.
  • Kettle: UK 4.95
  • UK-style switched outlet: UK 2.45
  • surface-mount outlet box: UK 0.98
  • 240V plug for unused 240VAC stove outlet: CDN$24.95
  • Fast(!) hot water for tea: Priceless!

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:38

Agreed. I have a US/Canada kettle that works just fine. Admittedly, they're not as ubiquitously available for purchase in North America as I'm sure they are in England, but they're still available.

Edit: I'll have to time mine. Now I'm curious.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:47

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I'll have to time mine. Now I'm curious.

Being a 1500W kettle, it should take about 4.5 -> 5.0 minutes or so.

We purchased the cheapest UK one we saw (a mere UK 4.95 !!). It is only a 2200W kettle, yet that still makes it 50% faster than the best 1500W models over here.

Now that we've proven the concept etc.. we plan to pick up a 3000W kettle with detached contact base (a nearly-essential feature we were unaware of at the time) on the next trip over.

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:53

[quote=mlord]
Kettle: UK 4.95

A five quid kettle, hope you bought a spare as well wink

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 16:57

A five quid kettle, hope you bought a spare as well wink

Heh.. we thought about that, but there's not much to them to go wrong (we hope!). smile

Besides, we do plan to upgrade to a 3000W unit with separate base next time over, so it doesn't have to survive for very long.

The tricky bit was whether or not the kettle "logic" (if any) would care that our 240V circuits don't have a neutral line -- both sides are equally "hot". Whereas in the UK, only one wire is "hot", and the other is neutral.

With the five-quid kettle, at least, no issue.

Cheers!

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 17:12

Heh.. we thought about that, but there's not much to them to go wrong (we hope!). smile

When I worked in the electrical department of a supermarket, quite a few of the £5 kettles died within the first couple of weeks (though not nearly as many as the £120 14 inch TVs that we sold every Xmas, a good 60% of those didn't make it until New Year).
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 17:47

When our kettle dies I want to replace it with a Tefal Quick Cup - they can produce a cup of boiling water in 3 seconds! According to the manufacturers, they use 1/3rd the energy of a conventional kettle too.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 17:50

Can we include countries in North America every once in a while? I'm really sick of not being able to attend because I can't really afford $1500 in travel expenses. Of course, you guys can't readily afford that any more than I can....

Given the size of the place could it not still be a problem to get everyone there?

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 17:50

Originally Posted By: AndrewT
When our kettle dies I want to replace it with a Tefal Quick Cup - they can produce a cup of boiling water in 3 seconds! According to the manufacturers, they use 1/3rd the energy of a conventional kettle too.

Make sure you check that out properly before buying, the water is not at boiling point when it comes out of that gadget. Also, it doesn't heat a mug of water in 3 seconds, it takes closer to 30 seconds to fill a mug with water at around 80 degrees C.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 17:58

Wow. They're pricy. Seem to me that if you're going to pay that much you might as well get one that's hooked into your plumbing, like the Insinkerator hot water dispensers. Yeah, it's more expensive still, but you don't have to dick with carting water around.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 17:59

Given the size of the place could it not still be a problem to get everyone there?

Yes. Shut up with your logic and shit. wink

That said, I can fly all the way from Raleigh, NC on the east coast to LA, San Francisco, or Seattle for a sixth the price of flying to London, despite London only being about a third farther away.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 18:09

I would be up for organizing it if a minimum of 10 people said they would come no matter what. Even with that small of a number, I can't see it happening.

The core European empeg community is so strong now that it's not even about empegs anymore. It's about seeing distant friends every year. The US empeg community doesn't know each other outside of this BBS. That, the declining number of users, and the size of the country spells disaster for a large US meet.

I can't even get more than two people to show up to a meet in the NY area! San Francisco is hardly any different. This meet was only my group of 3 and Hugo and his friend.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 18:17

You have a solid point, though you have to admit that there is a significant difference between an evening meetup and a months-long planned event.

Honestly, though, it's mostly me grousing about the huge airfare to Europe.

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 18:32

Quote:
You have a solid point, though you have to admit that there is a significant difference between an evening meetup and a months-long planned event.

It's hard to get serious about anything larger if the small stuff is so poorly attended.

Of course, we can look back at the Cincinnati meets where every year the turnout was worse and worse. If Laura would do another one, I would definitely go as long as it's not just her and I again.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 19:07

A British market boiling kettle in our Canadian kitchen -- woo-hoo, boils a full quart in about 3 minutes!

I love it!

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 09/07/2008 19:59

Having put together last years meet with Andy M, I can tell you a lot of the hard work goes unnoticed and that is the way it should be. It is an extremely rewarding experience but it's not an easy one.

I think there has to be a purpose for the event being held in a place. I don't know how many Danish users we have on the BBS here but there is still a strong following in the UK so we were always going to get a turn out that made the event viable (just smile ) I am not sure the same could be said for Denmark?

We also went to quite a lot of effort not to copy previous meets, we tried something new and that fitted what we could provide. Some people come a very long way and it's important everyone enjoys the event, our meet was very much a social affair with lots of time to mix and with very little in the way of an agenda (and only 1 slide at the event itself!).

Also, it's a little early to be talking about next year right now. The only thing I am sure of is that you need the help of other people it's not something that is going to work doing it on your own.

I for one hope this continues for many years to come, I really like the way our group is evolving and it was great to see a few first timers at this years event.

And Rob, I would try my very best to come to a US meet at some point. It would probably have to turn into some sort of extended holiday but there is no way I'll be coming over without some form of meet-up smile

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 20:08

Also, it doesn't heat a mug of water in 3 seconds, it takes closer to 30 seconds to fill a mug with water at around 80 degrees C.

Yeah. Our new five-quid kettle here can do that.

And I really doubt their efficiency claims -- a standard immersed-element electrical kettle is damned near 100% efficient to begin with.

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 21:18

Starting with a quart of 74°F water, it took 4:13 until the switch tripped, but it was clearly boiling a good 30 seconds before that.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 21:26

Starting with a quart of 74°F water, it took 4:13 until the switch tripped, but it was clearly boiling a good 30 seconds before that.

Sounds ballpark. The water I use here is quite a bit cooler than 74F at the beginning.

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 21:48

The tricky bit was whether or not the kettle "logic" (if any) would care that our 240V circuits don't have a neutral line -- both sides are equally "hot". Whereas in the UK, only one wire is "hot", and the other is neutral.

UK appliance wiring practice never assumes the neutral line is at earth (ground) as far as I've seen. Indeed, if the neutral goes open circuit somewhere, all the neutrals downstream will get pulled to live by the load. So I think you'll find most UK devices are OK with 2-phase 120V.

Discalimer: This is an opinion, not qualified advice. Be safe out there.
Posted by: tman

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 22:00

A quart in my Brita filter 3KW kettle took just over 2 minutes to boil.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 09/07/2008 22:43

Also, it doesn't heat a mug of water in 3 seconds, it takes closer to 30 seconds to fill a mug with water at around 80 degrees C.

Yeah. Our new five-quid kettle here can do that.

And I really doubt their efficiency claims -- a standard immersed-element electrical kettle is damned near 100% efficient to begin with.

Just tried our reasonably fast boiling flat bottomed kettle. With a single mug of water (which is after all what we should be comparing the Tefal heater to) it boils in about 50 seconds. However with that little water in it takes quite a long time for the boiling sensor to trip so the element is actually on for 65 seconds.

Assuming the element in the Tefal has the same rating as in the kettle, then that would fairly closely match their 65% claim. Though of course with the kettle I actually end up with boiled water.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 00:00

Originally Posted By: JonnyGee
UK appliance wiring practice never assumes the neutral line is at earth (ground) as far as I've seen. Indeed, if the neutral goes open circuit somewhere, all the neutrals downstream will get pulled to live by the load. So I think you'll find most UK devices are OK with 2-phase 120V.

That was our hope, and subsequent observation (sample of one).

But it does matter, in that most (EDIT: many?) AC switches are only single-pole single-throw. So in the UK one would normally ensure that those are wired to cut off the "hot" wire. Such is the case with the UK outlet we purchased, and quite likely also with the internal switch of the kettle itself.

But here in Canada, that UK switched outlet only switches off one leg, and the other pin still has 120V potential on it (w.r.t. earth ground). Definitely not code over here, but nothing I'll be worrying about either. smile Ditto for the kettle.

Our initial unknown concern, was whether such "wet" appliances might have built-in GFCI style functionality, which would prevent them from working at all here in Canada.

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 04:31

But it does matter, in that most AC switches are only single-pole single-throw.

Actually, only 10% of the outlets that I sell are single pole, only the most penny pinching cheapo ones. But this does vary where you go, big bargain sheds like Screwfix will have a much higher ratio.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 10:07

Sounds ballpark. The water I use here is quite a bit cooler than 74F at the beginning.

Our groundwater temperature today appears to be about 63F.

So we brought in the outdoor thermometer, and filled the kettle with exactly 1 quart of 74F water. It took 3:15 for full boil, and shut itself off about 8 seconds later.

EDIT: wait a sec.. SWMBO informs me that the measure scale on the kettle is incorrect: we actually just boiled 5.5 cups of water rather than the indicated quart (4 cups). The experiment will have to be run again now. smile

Cheers!

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 10:41

we brought in the outdoor thermometer, and filled the kettle with exactly 1 quart of 74F water. It took 3:15 for full boil, and shut itself off about 8 seconds later.

EDIT: wait a sec.. SWMBO informs me that the measure scale on the kettle is incorrect: we actually just boiled 5.5 cups of water rather than the indicated quart (4 cups). The experiment will have to be run again now. smile

Okay, the experiment has now been re-run, using exactly 4-cups (to avoid confusion over differing definitions of a "quart") of 74F water. Note also that we compared our various kitchen cup measures, and used the volume that nearly all of them agreed upon.

It took 2:15 for a peak roaring boil to be achieved, and the kettle again switched off 8 seconds after this.

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 10:54

Okay, the experiment has now been re-run, using exactly 4-cups (to avoid confusion over differing definitions of a "quart") of 74F water. Note also that we compared our various kitchen cup measures, and used the volume that nearly all of them agreed upon.

Heh.. the things one never suspected! Okay, our "cup" measures are actually 250ml, so that was exactly one litre of water for the test, which is somewhat more than one USA quart.

Quote:
It took 2:15 for a peak roaring boil to be achieved, and the kettle again switched off 8 seconds after this.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 11:33

I've always been amused over the North American use of "cup" as a "standard" measurement, it seems like a measure guaranteed to cause confusion.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 11:38

I've always been amused over the North American use of "cup" as a "standard" measurement, it seems like a measure guaranteed to cause confusion.

smile Yeah, well.. we all have you British to thank for that!

Cheers

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 11:44

smile Yeah, well.. we all have you British to thank for that!

So Wikipedia suggests (says that it is common in the Commonwealth as well). I'm puzzled as to how though, given that it is pretty much never used as a measure in the UK. The only time I have seen it used in recipe books here is when converting from a US recipe.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 11:48

So Wikipedia suggests (says that it is common in the Commonwealth as well). I'm puzzled as to how though, given that it is pretty much never used as a measure in the UK.

Heh.. so next time over I'll try ordering a half-litre of Ale at the pub, then. smile
Posted by: peter

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 12:01

So Wikipedia suggests (says that it is common in the Commonwealth as well). I'm puzzled as to how though, given that it is pretty much never used as a measure in the UK.

Perhaps the term used to be common in British English, at about the time all the colonial dialects were forked, but has since passed out of use here only. Unfortunately for that theory, though, the oldest cookbook I've got (a facsimile of the 1805 Hannah Glasse) doesn't mention cups. It just says "half a pint". Or perhaps it's not really Commonwealth-wide, but only occurs in Commonwealth countries "near" (in a trading sense) to the USA, and influenced by them: Canada, Australia, NZ. Are recipes stated in cups in South Africa? India?

Peter

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 12:15

Heh.. so next time over I'll try ordering a half-litre of Ale at the pub, then. smile

Huh ? I wasn't suggesting that imperial measurements aren't still common here, just puzzled as to why Wikipedia think the cup is our fault given that we don't appear to have used it for a very long time, if we ever did.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 12:21

Well, that seems to line up with Wikipedia:

The imperial cup was defined as half an imperial pint. The unit is no longer in use.

In Canada, we're definitly schitzoid with measures, switching fluently between inches and metres, cups and litres, etc..

Non-commercial cooking and woodworking generally use imperial units (cups, inches), for roads/driving we use metric, for weather we use both (degrees C/F, baramoter, etc..).

For official/commercial purposes, only metric is valid. But being so close to the sleepy giant beneath us, we're not likely to become absolutely metric for some time yet.

Cheers
Posted by: Tim

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 12:47

In Canada, we're definitly schitzoid with measures, switching fluently between inches and metres, cups and litres, etc..

That is nothing. In aerospace we use feet for altitude, meters for weapon range, kilometers for aircraft ranges, feet per minute for ascent/descent rates, pounds for the amount of fuel left, etc.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 15:03

It's pretty clear the vast majority of the time. If it's amongst other measures like quart and pint, it probably means half-pint. If it's amongst measures like glass and pinch, it probably means whatever a coffee cup might hold (usually 6oz, or 3/4 of a cup, or 3/8 of a pint). However, if the measurements are that inaccurate anyway, it's unlikely that the difference between 6oz and 8oz is going to make a lot of difference.

"Ounce" is a bigger problem, as it measures both volume and weight. It tends to be avoided though, most recipes skipping volume units from tablespoon to cup and not using weight measurements at all (unlike most European recipes).

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 16:20

Quote:
"Ounce" is a bigger problem, as it measures both volume and weight.

True. But frequently when the reference is to volume, it is listed as "fluid ounces".

tanstaafl.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 16:23

It's pretty clear the vast majority of the time. If it's amongst other measures like quart and pint, it probably means half-pint. If it's amongst measures like glass and pinch, it probably means whatever a coffee cup might hold (usually 6oz, or 3/4 of a cup, or 3/8 of a pint). However, if the measurements are that inaccurate anyway, it's unlikely that the difference between 6oz and 8oz is going to make a lot of difference.

"Ounce" is a bigger problem, as it measures both volume and weight. It tends to be avoided though, most recipes skipping volume units from tablespoon to cup and not using weight measurements at all (unlike most European recipes).

How many ounces in a slug?

Hmmm... I'll have to look that up. Or is there some other mass-equivalent of the ounce when dealing with slugs?
Who deals with slugs, anyways? ...what a bunch of jibber-jabber.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 16:27

Originally Posted By: Robotic

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 16:34

Quote:

Technically.... none. A slug is a measurement of mass, not weight and thus comparing ounces to slugs is like comparing pumpkins to rutabagas.

But if you insist on muddying the waters, there would be about 512 ounces in a slug, a slug being the amount of mass that would accelerate at one foot per second per second with an application of one lb-ft of force, making it sort of the equivalent of one pound acted upon by the force of gravity which would impart a force of 32 pounds.

tanstaafl.

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 10/07/2008 16:57

LOL
Thanks, guys!

Yes- I insist on 'muddying the waters' ...for the fun of it!
I was just getting my brain bent around slugs at the wikipedia article, but I really should do some real work today! laugh

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 11/07/2008 06:45

Hi,

Thanks for putting on a great meet! Particularly embarrassing for me considering I live in Cambridge and this is the first meet I've managed to attend!

Nice to meet everybody that I did and unfortunate that I had to leave the saturday party early and unexpectedly, I will however try my best now to attend future ones!

Great job guys.....roll on next year!

Adrian

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/07/2008 12:03

If there were a meet at Woodside next year (10 years on from the first - and only - US meet at Woodside) I'd be there...

Rob

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/07/2008 12:18

CA? DE? PA? NY?

Re: Empeg 10th Birthday Party - 11/07/2008 13:31

CA? DE? PA? NY?

Woodside, CA would be an easy one for me! lol

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 11/07/2008 16:10

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Quote:

Technically.... none. A slug is a measurement of mass, not weight and thus comparing ounces to slugs is like comparing pumpkins to rutabagas.

On a tangent, I recently discovered that licking a banana slug is supposedly a rite of passage for kids in the Pacific Northwest. The toxins secreted by the slug apparently numb your tongue and lips for the better part of a day. Anyone have first hand experience?

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 11/07/2008 18:19

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Quote:

On a tangent, I recently discovered that licking a banana slug is supposedly a rite of passage for kids in the Pacific Northwest. The toxins secreted by the slug apparently numb your tongue and lips for the better part of a day. Anyone have first hand experience?

No firsthand experience, but as kids at camp we were told (and we told others) that they tasted like peanut butter. This was always an attempt to get someone to lick one, but I never saw anyone convinced to actually try it.
Wikipedia says the slime does act as an anesthetic...
Posted by: tms13

10th Anniversary - photos - 15/07/2008 08:05

Photos from this year, at last:

http://TobySpeight.fotopic.net/c1544978.html

High-quality ones (for printing) also available:

http://TobySpeight-print.fotopic.net

All free for personal use - if you want to redistribute any, just email me (I'm usually generous with permission, but like to be asked).

Sorry it's taken so long to get them put up!

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 15/07/2008 08:43

Great photos Toby!

Re: Finally, a good, quick, cuppa! - 21/07/2008 18:59

the reason why i came with denmark as a place to have the next yearly meet was pure social and to try something new

but i guess that most are up for cambridge