Notebook with trackball?

Posted by: larry818

Notebook with trackball? - 30/09/2007 18:20

Hi Everyone,

I know I'm probably dreaming, but it's time to replace my aging Panasonic Toughbook (as far as I know the last laptop made with trackball), and I'm looking to replace it with something with a trackball.

I do a lot of graphics work, usually for touchscreen, in strange places like pump vaults, and the nipple and touchpad are both worthless for this. The trackball is nearly worthless, but still useable. A lot of the time I have the laptop sitting on a drum or bucket, so a built in trackball would be preferable.

So, my question to the Knowledge Gods is, is there any laptop still being produced with a trackball or can be converted to one?

Submitted in obsequiousness,

Larry
Posted by: tman

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 30/09/2007 20:50

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I know I'm probably dreaming, but it's time to replace my aging Panasonic Toughbook (as far as I know the last laptop made with trackball), and I'm looking to replace it with something with a trackball.

I do a lot of graphics work, usually for touchscreen, in strange places like pump vaults, and the nipple and touchpad are both worthless for this. The trackball is nearly worthless, but still useable. A lot of the time I have the laptop sitting on a drum or bucket, so a built in trackball would be preferable.

So, my question to the Knowledge Gods is, is there any laptop still being produced with a trackball or can be converted to one?

Submitted in obsequiousness,

Larry

I've not seen a trackball laptop in years now. Trackpad or nipple is it I think.
Posted by: larry818

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 04:11

Oddly, just about an hour after posting this, I saw a blackberry with a trackball. Very neat. Too bad laptops get only worthless options...
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 11:45

I can control a mouse pointer with the trackpad on an Apple PowerBook much better than I can using the stick-type devices used on some machines or trackballs used on older models. Use it for illustration all the time.

The trackpad on the Apple machines is far better than any I have ever used on any other portable though, such as Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer, Dell, etc... For one thing it's large and for another it's less than half a millimeter from being flush with the top of the casing. It's also in the right place, centered in the middle of the case, not off to the left like on some notebooks - centering the pad in relation to the keyboard or space bar by putting it off to the left just makes no sense unless your right arm is visibly longer than your left).
Posted by: mlord

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 12:33

Quote:
It's also in the right place, centered in the middle of the case, not off to the left like on some notebooks - centering the pad in relation to the keyboard or space bar by putting it off to the left just makes no sense unless your right arm is visibly longer than your left).

We've been through this one before here. For people who actually touch-type on their keyboards, the touch-pad needs to be correctly centered between the hands whilst they are positioned on the "home row" --> index fingers on F and J.

Which means the touchpad must be centered under the FGHJ keys.

Otherwise, the part of one hand below the thumb (what's that called, anyway?) will tend to rest on the touch-pad while typing, producing ghost touches/moves.

Cheers
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 16:20

Quote:

We've been through this one before here. For people who actually touch-type on their keyboards, the touch-pad needs to be correctly centered between the hands whilst they are positioned on the "home row" --> index fingers on F and J.

Yup, you've mentioned that before, but I didn't recall a reason being given. I assumed it was to be able to touch the pad while typing. But I've never heard of anyone using a pad that way - it would require a thumb be used.

I'll point out that you're starting by saying it "need" to be there. The disparity between different machines placement of the pad, even from the same manufacturer, clear proves there's no such need. It's workable in all sorts of locations. Some are just more cumbersome than others and most notebooks are extremely poorly designed.

Quote:

Otherwise, the part of one hand below the thumb (what's that called, anyway?) will tend to rest on the touch-pad while typing, producing ghost touches/moves.

Funny, but I don't have that problem with the PowerBook. Maybe I don't type as well as others out there though - or as properly. But I haven't heard that complaint from others either - a number of acquaintances are your traditional touch-typists. I can certainly reproduce the phenomenon you describe on this machine, but I have to really smack my hand well into the middle of the pad and make sure it makes contact. It doesn't normally do that with my fingers at the home positions unless I were to bend my wrists into carpel tunnel inducing angles that don't feel natural even for a split second.

My position is that it's a matter of design. That is to say, a pad implementation and position on a notebook that has been poorly designed may very well have the problems you mentioned. But one implemented properly will not (PowerBooks, iBooks, MacBooks and MacBook Pros for instance). I can only imagine what hell it is to use the circular trackpad on a Panasonic Toughbook.

I can't say for sure what aspects of the design remove the effects of the problem you mention, but if you ever have the chance, do note the overall position of the pad on one of the machines I mentioned. It's certainly centered width-wise, but its dimensions and positioning top-to-bottom likely have something to do with it as well. I also find the buttons on most notebooks, not to mention the keys, abysmal. Not so on these.

The trackpad prefs in Mac OS also have an option to "Ignore accidental trackpad input" - though I can't give any concrete examples of how the system works without it enabled (I've always left it on).

Whether I was running Windows or Linux, I'd still use a Mac notebook. There hasn't been a single time in the past five years where I've used anyone else's notebook, regardless of brand, where I haven't felt like throwing it out a window.
Posted by: sein

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 19:26

Quote:

It is definitely fixed in software. I assume the touchpad driver simply ignores large contact areas with minimal force on the top half of the pad. A finger on the pad would be a small circular pressure point and I'm sure it would be easy to detect and distinguish.

I say definitely in software as I never have an annoying input on my Macbook in OS X, whereas if I boot into Ubuntu the stupid bloody thing has a mind of its own clicking all over the place when I am typing. This is fixed with loading the synaptic touchpad module and adding a big bunch of options for it in the X config.

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 20:44

I thought nearly all Touchpads Mac and Windows alike were actually made by Synaptics or Alps...
Posted by: drakino

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 21:23

Nope. Apple makes their own touchpads for the iPods and laptops. They started doing this in February of 2005, and on the linux side, the touchpad ends up using a module called "appletouch" integrated at 2.6.14.

Not sure why they decided to make their own, but IIRC, thats when they also switched over to multitouch for scrolling on the touchpad, though this was possible on some prior models with a driver hack.

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 01/10/2007 21:51

Quote:
Nope. Apple makes their own touchpads for the iPods and laptops. They started doing this in February of 2005, and on the linux side, the touchpad ends up using a module called "appletouch" integrated at 2.6.14.

Not sure why they decided to make their own, but IIRC, thats when they also switched over to multitouch for scrolling on the touchpad, though this was possible on some prior models with a driver hack.

Ahh okay. I know the iPods got switched to a homebrew system with a Cypress PSoC with CapSense because it was cheaper. Didn't know that the laptops also switched.
Posted by: sein

Re: Notebook with trackball? - 02/10/2007 07:08

Quote:
on the linux side, the touchpad ends up using a module called "appletouch" integrated at 2.6.14.

Yes, I wasn't clear at all. The kernel module is "appletouch" but the X driver is "synaptics" to use the features such as VertTwoFingerScroll and set minimum and maximum finger pressure, scrolling speed, acceleration etc etc. I also have "syndaemon" loaded (part of the Synaptics package, I think) which ignores the pad when typing. "synaptics" and "syndaemon" have man pages if anyone wants to try them out.

Looks like the comprehensive synaptics package can talk to lots of different touchpads, and supports the Alps protocol as well. Very confusing!