Work at home that isn't a scam.

Posted by: msaeger

Work at home that isn't a scam. - 21/11/2007 02:25

Has anyone found any of the "work at home" jobs that are not a scam. I can not drive for six months due to having a seizure so I can't do my regular job which requires driving.

I know the people at some of the telephone customer service numbers work out of their houses not sure what ones though
Posted by: andym

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 21/11/2007 14:15

Jeez! I hope you're okay?

I would've thought there must be a market for tech-support style jobs that could be done from home. I support a bunch of users in a building across town, and thanks to Remote Desktop/SSH/VNC I can do pretty much everything required from my desk.

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 21/11/2007 14:28

I'm pretty lucky considering it happened while I was driving on the freeway

I found some ads for tech support but everything sounds like a scam so I wanted to see if anyone knew of something legit.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 21/11/2007 15:15

Online poker?
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 21/11/2007 20:02

Do you need to drive to get to work, or is driving a required part of your work?

The first might be solvable by some form of carpooling or public transit.
The second, depends on your employer being able to make accommodations. It falls under the laws related to disabilities, and on that note a disability insurance claim might be in order.

Edit: Ok I looked at your profile. Copier repair is definitely a driving required job.

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 22/11/2007 02:06

As you found I need to drive for my "real" job so I am told I will get disability from them which is 80% of my pay. I will not get the auto reimbursement which makes my car payment. I also will not be able to do my 2nd job delivering at dominos.

The Ricoh HR person tells me I can get another job and still get disability from Ricoh so if I can get to a from someplace or find something I can do at home it would be nice.

I live in the middle of nowhere so public transportation is pretty much out. I can probably find a neighbor to ride with but I figured I would see if I could find some kind of work at home deal.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 22/11/2007 12:46

The Mystery shopping indrusty has a high number for people working from home.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 25/11/2007 08:23

If you're language skills are good, some kind of proof reading / editing?
Posted by: rob

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 26/11/2007 13:23

I did empeg sales & support from home for the first six months - often from bed in fact! It was a serious relief when Hugo rented an office.

So, find a cash strapped technology startup!

Rob
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 01:30

Quote:
If you're language skills are good, some kind of proof reading / editing?

What about foreign languages. My brother in law makes a living doing Italian/English translations.

He's not making big bucks but it keeps things going.
Posted by: andy

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 08:55

Just received the perfect opportunity for you in my inbox:

"We are Looking for partners worldwide. The position is home-based. Our Company Head Office is located in UK with branches all over the world. We are looking for talented, honest, reliable representatives from different regions. The ideal candidate will be an intelligent person, someone who can work autonomously with a high degree of enthusiasm. Our Company offers a very competitive salary to the successful candidate, along with an unrivalled career progression opportunity.

If you would like to work with our active, dynamic team, we invite you to apply for employment. Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge of multiple languages. Please send the following information to [email protected].
1. Full name 2 Address of residence
3 Contact Phone numbers
4 Languages spoken
5 Whether you are interested in part time job or full time employment.
Thank you. We look forward to working with you.
If you received this message in error, please send a blank email to: [email protected]."
Posted by: Schido

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 09:15

You are kidding, right?

That email is screaming "scam" to me.

And they are spamming debian buglists too: http://www.google.nl/search?q=YongPittma...7z&filter=0

Probably a "payment forwarding scam": http://www.worldprivacyforum.org/jobscamtipspayforwarding.html
Posted by: andy

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 09:34

Quote:
You are kidding, right?

Erm, yes. Maybe I should have added a smiley ?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 14:42

msaeger:
Do you have any kind of accounting or bookkeeping background?

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 28/11/2007 17:25

No just technical. I was looking for something "unskilled" like I know some companies telephone customer service workers work at home for instance.

I think I figured out a way to still work at Ricoh so it probably doesn't matter anyway but it would always be nice to find something for extra money.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 29/11/2007 00:10

Jetblue customer service rep perhaps?
-Zeke
Posted by: petteri

Re: Work at home that isn't a scam. - 29/11/2007 08:43

Quote:
Jetblue customer service rep perhaps?
-Zeke

I work for Frontier Airlines, as a airport customer service agent. My training was five weeks long, in Denver. I live and work in Ft. Lauderdale. Although they are making the process shorter, it will still take weeks. I don't know what JetBlue's training process is like, but I'm pretty sure some travel will be involved, unless you happen to live near their training center.

Also, I can't imagine doing reservations over the phone with no prior experience. The reservation system is more complicated than you might think. Anyways, I can't speak for JetBlue, perhaps they have a program that can work for you! The flight benefits are great. The pay, not so much....