A long-term time waster

Posted by: FireFox31

A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 01:51

I got sucked into an online Civilization-like browser-based game called Travian. Build your village, harvest resources, train troops, join alliances, and attack others. Best part about it is, you have to wait hours for things to happen, so you only need to play maybe 20 minutes a day. Well, unless you're addicted like me.

If anyone's interested in starting, join Server 6 in the South West. We can team up! Just thought I'd pass on my latest time waster.
Posted by: BAKup

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 02:29

I just joined Server 6 as BAKup, looks like fun.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 03:34

Alright, I'm in... where are you guys at? I'm at -149 -225. We should form an Empeg alliance.
Posted by: petteri

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 10:14

Ok, I'm in. Server 6. I just signed up as "Teutons", later reading that they are best suited for advanced players! Oh, well. Same name as here. I'm at 60|260 on the map.
Posted by: Tim

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 11:54

Some of my friends started playing this a few years ago. I didn't really get in to it, but some of them loved it. One of the terms they used to describe it was 'sanctioned griefing'.

Don't get to attached to your village, it will get steamrolled. I think that is why I couldn't get into it.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 17:14

OK, I'll try it: TigerJimmy @ -55, -261
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 21:38

We'll see what happens.

(-153 x -219)
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 22:24

12 x -267

So is there anything for me to do while my Granary is building other then upgrade the surrounding land?
Me thinks I may have to block this at work.

edit:
Just noticed that the time moves faster in this game then I first though.

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/03/2008 23:08

The time does move faster than I thought it would too but I'm still waiting hours to get enough resources to upgrade stuff.
Posted by: lectric

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/03/2008 01:18

Server 6 as Lectric, 19x266.

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/03/2008 14:14

Yep, at least at first, this seems to be a minute or two of effort every couple of hours. Save overnight for bigger projects. Seems like clay is the early bottleneck resource, then it looks like that might switch to iron...

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/03/2008 14:20

I agree with you. I spent 5 of my gold for the +25% clay production. I'm currently low on lumber, but I do see iron being a problem in the future.

I've got my embassy up to level 2, but you need level 3 to start alliances. Anyone close? I can probably have it tomorrow morning.

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/03/2008 15:01

How do you do that? I don't even see gold as a resource anywhere. I could use 250 clay at the moment...

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/03/2008 15:29

Oops.. should have said +25% clay production. Hit the "Plus" button on the top. Select gold, and select which one you want to activate. There is also descriptions of everything under Advantages. I don't know if I'll ever buy gold, but as long as they give me some for free I'll use it.

Re: A long-term time waster - 15/03/2008 00:37

This is great! Now we can have an empeg alliance! If you're bored at work, log in and build some stuff. Then if you get a chance at night, log in and build some more stuff. Doesn't take much time (until you're addicted).

I'm at (-249|-49) as FireFox31. If anyone needs a resource boost, send me a message and I can send some down. If anyone attacks you, let me know and I will crush them.

Here are some tips:
Read the building, troop, and game info at help.travian.com. Take note of buildings' and troops' prerequisites.

New players can not be attacked for ~7 days. Use that time to build resources and get Barracks and an Embassy.

With an Embassy, you can join an alliance. If you're in an alliance, would-be attackers may leave you alone for fear of counter attack.

It's good to be Gauls. People leave them alone because they have Trappers. Romans are easy to play as. I know nothing about Tutons. Sorry, should have said this earlier.

Watch your neighbors every few days. Some may be inactive (no population growth for a few days). Some may be very active and may pose a threat.

I created a "Travian calculator" in Excel which can help plan what resources you need to get the troops/buildings you want. It's not perfect, but I'll post it here soon.

This is going to be fun!

Re: A long-term time waster - 15/03/2008 01:45

You've been at this a while! So can you create an alliance for us? Are you sure you want to offer resources? wink I'm sure every one of us could use some!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: A long-term time waster - 15/03/2008 02:26

A little late joining, but:

tonyc (-125, -237).

Re: A long-term time waster - 15/03/2008 17:40

Ok, I will create an empeg alliance. To join, you will need an Embassy. I will begin sending out invitations on Sunday.

Ah Travian, the time waster that keeps on wasting.

Re: A long-term time waster - 15/03/2008 21:39

More time wasting? Would it be wrong to also start on server 2? Given that it has fewer people I presume the game has not been running as long.

Never mind, server 2 is closed, only 1, 5, 6 and 7 are open.

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 03:27

Originally Posted By: Waterman981
Hit the "Plus" button on the top. Select gold, and select which one you want to activate. There is also descriptions of everything under Advantages.

I was reticent to use the free trial for some reason. I guess maybe I thought that they would want some financial info. They don't. Just click on the Plus Trial link and get 35 free gold, which you can then use to increase resource production (amongst a few other things). I can't see any reason not to do it.

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 04:24

I've just started my level 1 Embassy, so I'll be able to join the alliance later today.

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 14:41

I have an embassy, but see no empeg alliance.... As of yet. We ARE talking about server 6, right?

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 15:06

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I can't see any reason not to do it.

I can sorta see a reason to hold off on doing it, though. Since the production bonuses are percent increases and only last a week, it might be good to wait until production is ramped up. I did already burn 5 gold on +25% clay to see how it worked, but now, I think I'm gonna hold onto mine until the end of my protected period, at least.

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 15:40

BTW, Downloading the graphics pack and installing it DOES make things much quicker, as far as screen loads go, plus it takes the load off the servers, helping everyone.

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 16:26

Originally Posted By: lectric
I have an embassy, but see no empeg alliance.... As of yet. We ARE talking about server 6, right?

It exists now: http://s6.travian.com/allianz.php?aid=3746

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 19:58

I just realized what you did with the alliance name...
"Ensuring Moderated Peace to Enjoy the Game"

Clever!
Posted by: Dignan

Re: A long-term time waster - 16/03/2008 21:32

Hmm, this looks like it could be fun.

I'm at -106, -251

Re: A long-term time waster - 17/03/2008 01:30

Quote:
Since the production bonuses are percent increases and only last a week, it might be good to wait until production is ramped up.

This is very true. However, everything is relative. It may take 6 hours to get enough resources for a level 2 land. But by the time you have all level 7 lands, it will still take 6 hours to get a level 8 land. The FAQ shows the costs of every level of land, building, research, troop, etc. I should really polish up my Travian Calculator Excel file to help you all.

Quote:
I just realized what you did with the alliance name...
"Ensuring Moderated Peace to Enjoy the Game"

Hahaha. Yes, "moderated" meaning "speak softly but carry a big stick."

Quote:
Just click on the Plus Trial link and get 35 free gold

That's a good tip! People with Plus grow very quickly. Hm, I could use the boost.

Re: A long-term time waster - 17/03/2008 02:02

I have moved. I am now at -262:-84. My new nick is e_lectric. At least I'm now closer to you guys.

Re: A long-term time waster - 17/03/2008 02:10

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
I should really polish up my Travian Calculator Excel file to help you all.
The Greasemonkey Travian Beyond script is pretty cool. (English Translation, but the installation doesn't seem to work correctly this way.)
Posted by: MarkH

Re: A long-term time waster - 17/03/2008 05:06

OK, I'll bite! Newcal at -7, -270.

Regards

Mark

Re: A long-term time waster - 17/03/2008 15:06

Yeah, a 25% boost is usually enormous in these kinds of games. Basically you won't be able to compete with someone else who has it, so unless you're willing to pay...

What should be our second-tier building objectives? I've got all my resources at level 1, some at level 2. I've got a rally point, barracks, cranny, embassy, granary. No troops.

What do you need to be able to defend yourself?

How do you expand & profit?

Re: A long-term time waster - 18/03/2008 00:01

There is a forum built into the alliance in the game. We could use that instead of filling up the BBS (though keeping this topic up top may attract more people)

To access it:
Click "Profile" (on the left sidebar)
Click the "empeg" alliance
Click "Forum" just below the alliance name

I'll post my suggested building goals, but you can go for whatever you want to suit how you want to play.

Re: A long-term time waster - 18/03/2008 02:20

Hmmm... I like it better here, but that's just personal. Esp. since I haven't built an embassy yet.

Re: A long-term time waster - 18/03/2008 02:50

I think this thread will fade off eventually, and we can start using their forums then. There's aspects of the site design that annoy me a tad, anyway (and I have to assume that this is an English translation, otherwise someone has terrible editing skills - there's typos all over the place).

Alternatively, we could start using those forums once people start losing their protected status. That's when it's most important.

Re: A long-term time waster - 18/03/2008 02:54

I can go for that.

Re: A long-term time waster - 19/03/2008 21:39

I created a "Travian calculator" in Excel which can help plan what resources you need to get the troops/buildings you want. It's not perfect, but I'll post it here soon.

I created a spreadsheet to tell me how long a stack of new buildings would take to get built. It's not perfect; it doesn't take into account the possibility that the construction time might take longer than the time to acquire the appropriate resources, and it doesn't take into account the production multipliers that some buildings give. But it's not awful.

I did it in OpenOffice, so if you actually need to use Excel for some reason, you might try the ODF plugin for it. (And let me know if that works.)

It's attached.

Oh, the red boxes are for data you need to fill in manually. Green boxes are output. Blue boxes are, well, blue.

Re: A long-term time waster - 19/03/2008 22:19

Unfortunately, the drop down boxes don't work in excel, so I downloaded OOo.

Re: A long-term time waster - 19/03/2008 22:41

I've attached my Travian Calculator as well. It still needs work, but it is helpful for early players. It contains only data for Romans, you could add other tribe data, but most of the buildings are the same for everyone.

I've left my most current data in there as a template so you can see how it works.

It has many worksheets:
All the game data are in the sheets Resources, Buildings, Troops, Research, and Upgrades.

------

Calcs is the sheet where you input what you have and what you want (in the grey columns). For lands and troops, enter the quantity you have/want. For buildings and others, enter 1 if you have/want it.

Calcs will tell you how much each item will cost, the total for that group, and the total for your whole wish list. This will help you see what land to extend for your short term goals. ie: 20 Legions will require lots of Iron, so extend Iron Mines. You could even extend lands at the perfect ratio to meet your goals.

The trick with Calcs is, I used Excel's "Hide" function to hide rows that I don't care about. Look at the row numbers; where there's a discontinuity, there are hidden rows. To unhide, select the row above and below the discontinuity, then right click and choose Unhide. You can re-hide rows you don't care about by selecting them, right clicking and choosing Hide.

------

The Output worksheet is where you get the info. It tells you your current production, and the production you'll have when you develop the lands that you want (on Calcs). Below that, it tells you the time (in hours) to produce what you want given your current resources, and given the resources that you want (on Calcs). Below that, it has two benchmarks - time to create an Imperian and a Cavalry.

Like Calcs, Output will tell you the weak link in your resource production. If your goals will take 100 hours of Iron, but 75 hours of the others, then build enough Iron Mines to balance out the distribution. I set weekly goals, so on Calcs, I "want" about ~168 hours of stuff. Go tweak the parameters on Calcs and see how they change on Output.

-------

It has a hard time calculating future "time to produce" for land extension that you want. Output's "Income" section assumes you already have the lands that you want, but Output's "Time to procuce" section assumes you still need to build them. To get more detailed, it should account for building time, etc.

So, you basically change the values in the "Now/Have" columns and watch the numbers shuffle around. It can be more useful, but I only work on it when I have free time above and beyond playing Travian.

I hope it helps someone.

Re: A long-term time waster - 20/03/2008 20:48

So, is this a subtle declaration of peace...or war? Sorry for the top-posting, I just copied and pasted, so start from the bottom:

Quote:
dac09 19.03.08
RE^2: greeting 07:29:11

Yep, just fine

Just fine, you?

hello how u doing

That's all smile

I looked at the map and he/she appears to be a neighbor smile
Posted by: Robotic

Re: A long-term time waster - 20/03/2008 22:02

Originally Posted By: Dignan
So, is this a subtle declaration of peace...or war? Sorry for the top-posting, I just copied and pasted, so start from the bottom:

Quote:
dac09 19.03.08
RE^2: greeting 07:29:11

Yep, just fine

Just fine, you?

hello how u doing

That's all smile

I looked at the map and he/she appears to be a neighbor smile

Dude- ASL and get the digits. wink
LOL

Re: A long-term time waster - 20/03/2008 22:55

That's funny, I got my first random message from a stranger after you all started.

There are many people on here who speak broken/no English. Strange, considering there are Travian servers in every nation I can think of, why would they come to .com.

Well, maybe this person could be an ally, if they're good enough. I got a random message from "PFF", to which I replied, "you can be an ally if you grow more than 35 every week." Looks like he's trying it, so we'll see.

But since an alliance can only hold 60 people, selectivity is needed. Keep an eye on your neighbors, it's better that they're friends than enemies.

Re: A long-term time waster - 21/03/2008 02:27

I've sent little messages to my 7x7 neighbors. Not a single reply. They all seems to be building quite slowly, however, so no big loss. I'll just be farming a few of them soon, as they seem stagnant.

Re: A long-term time waster - 21/03/2008 02:56

How important are 15 croppers? I just found 1.

Re: A long-term time waster - 21/03/2008 08:57

Going on the talk in the forums, very, as an army marches on it's stomach.

Re: A long-term time waster - 21/03/2008 14:30

I See. It helps get a bigger army, since you may not be building buildings that fast, but each troop eats at LEAST 1 crop/hour.

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/03/2008 01:21

15 croppers are a good find, but won't be of use until much later (~2 months, for me). They will be your "support villages" once you settle them. To settle one, build a Residence level 10 (not a Palace!!) and build three Settlers. I schedule this 2 months out because your resources are better spent early in the game.

A tip about settling: Don't start a new village within a seven block radius of your main village. If you do, they will have overlapping 7x7's. This is important because of Oasis; the little lake, mountain, tree, clay squares on the map. Each gives you a 25% boost in production, but you can only have three and they must be within your 7x7. So, if you have two villages who's 7x7 overlaps, they may share Oasis, preventing you from settling your maximum three for each village. Yes, you can overlap village 7x7's, but you should plan the Oasis layout for maximum gain (take note of the 25%+25% Oasis for maximum gain).

This being said, I recommend going for Oasis before new villages. Neighbors may take the Oasis in your 7x7 before you, then you'll have to fight/negotiate them for it. If you get them first, it's a good passively offensive move. I strongly recommend asking any neighbor who may be effected by your taking an Oasis if they're ok with it, pointing out other Oasis they can have to show you're not hurting them too much. Some people have in their profiles "All Oasis in my 7x7 are MINE; do not take them or I will attack" even before they've taken them.

My goal this week, week seven, is to get my first Oasis. This requires a Hero's Mansion level 10, which is super expensive. Hopefully my few large neighbors don't beat me to it.

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/03/2008 01:30

And a suggestion about creating an army:

Create an even amount of buildings and army simultaneously. Buildings require tons of crop, which is expensive, so that will hold you up. But troop creation requires very little crop, leaving you with tons of excess which isn't even valuable in the Marketplace. Build even amounts of both at once to balance this out.

I avoided creating troops until necessary because I didn't want them draining my crop and I didn't want them sitting idle in case they were attacked and killed (all the resources they cost could be lost in a few attacks). I still feel this is a solid plan, spending all week creating only troops now that I want to attack.

I was saved from the overabundance of crop by the Grain Mill; once you have a Cropland 5, you can build it to get 5% bonus on Crop. But, it costs a TON of crop. No problem, because crop will build up while you create troops. A Grain Mill is a cost effective way to burn up this excess crop and allow you to support more troops!

So, either create even amount of buildings and troops simultaneously, or prepare to micromanage trades for crop during building-only creation and micromanage crop surplus during troop-only creation.

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 00:09

So, they are starting a new game on server 2. I signed up as TigerJimmy there. It begins in 25 hours. I'll continue to play on our existing game, but if anyone wants to join me, sign up on server 2 and start in the SW.

Jim

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 00:32

Is that kosher?

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 01:58

You can have 1 account per server, so yes. I signed up as well, but picked a random starting position. I'll let you know where I end up.

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 02:44

Cool.. All signed up. SW, so we'll see.

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 18:50

Trying to decide if I have more time to waste laugh

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 19:48

Wow, considering that I "play" Travian for hours every day, I can't start on another server. I'm trying to back off, actually, and am looking forward to the day Server 6 shuts down so I'm forced to not play anymore. And I always said "I'd never play an MMORPG" (and now weakly try to deny that Travian is one).

If you're starting on a new server, I recommend you raid and repress everything in sight. The players around you will be bloodthirsty experts who'd do the same to you. Gain the advantage, keep the advantage, and take no prisoners. Good luck.

Re: A long-term time waster - 06/04/2008 20:55

Well, it's a little slow for me. I spend plenty of time just staring at the screen waiting for units to return. It will definitely be a casual game for me, s6 will be infinitely more important.

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 02:18

Um, so, yeah, I think I'm going to be attacked...

*edit* Wait a minute, what does Reinf mean? Is that short for reinforcements? If so, that's great...

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 10:56

Yup, Reinf is reinforcements, it is either some of your troops returning for raiding / fighting or some one sending you troops. Not certain about the second one. Either way, click on the shield to find more information.

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 12:13

Dude.... you upgrade weird. It's much faster to upgrade the lower end on each type of resource.

Ok... how do we attach files now? My attach button is missing.

NVM

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 12:49

Well for S2 I did end up in the SW. -87 -37

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 14:45

Has anyone bough Gold?
Posted by: Heather

Re: A long-term time waster - 07/04/2008 21:47

Also on S2, -46|-72
Posted by: visuvius

Re: A long-term time waster - 08/04/2008 15:38

Just joined. I'm at -192|-209.

Re: A long-term time waster - 10/04/2008 23:27

Wow, that is pretty wild to upgrade a few lands all the way and keep others really low. I was going to do the math and see if that was more beneficial but never got to it.

One theory is: upgrade everything to 8, then bring one of each lands to 10. This lets you get the "bonus buildings" - Sawmill, Brickyard <?>, Iron Foundry, and Grain Mill. These buildings give you 5% bonus production per level, up to 25%. And they're CHEAP! Very much worth it.

Good luck everyone on S2. So there are already 18900+ people on a server that's 3 days old?! That's way too intense for me, I'll stick to S6. Fight hard!!!

Re: A long-term time waster - 11/04/2008 00:02

Yeah, I had no idea how I was supposed to do it. Clearly it is NOT the better way to go, judging by my growth rate smile I'm now bringing my other lands up to speed, and another good indicator that I was doing it the wrong way is that after being at the bottom two of the list in the alliance for the entire time, I'm not moving up slightly. Who knows, maybe this tactic makes for a really slow start, but also a really steep growth rate later on...

Re: A long-term time waster - 11/04/2008 11:36

I'm going to be staying on S6, for pretty much the same reasons as Firefox31, I already see myself totally hooked on this game, and starting up on another server would eat into my WoW time wink

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/04/2008 00:51

Apparently, a lot of WoW players are on Travian. One of my friends started Travian to find many of the people he "pwnz0rd" on WoW were there. They immediately invited him to a powerful alliance because of his pull in WoW.

You might search Travian for the usernames of WoW players you know. Who knows what you'll find.

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/04/2008 22:23

I'm quitting Travian. I have become more addicted to the point where it's effecting my life and work more than I'd like. For years, I promised myself that I'd never play Everquest or World of Warcraft because I knew how addictive they'd be. I never knew Travian could be the same way, but with my avarice for maximum utilization and Travian's constantly ticking clock, this may be worse than those other games ever could.

I offer my account to whomever among you would play it best (yes, account transfer is legal). Who could manage the alliance, reaching out to form new confederations, find new members, and excite the current members into taking positions? Who could maintain the raiding schedules presented by opportunity, develop the army that the groundwork has been laid for, and maintain the advantage (or facade of it) to keep the neighbors at bay?

Screen captures of my villages and troops are included (which doesn't do justice to the building levels).

I will keep playing until we decide, here, who will take it. Maybe you'll abandon your old village, or give it to a newer player like vesuvius. What do you all think?

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/04/2008 22:35

But.....

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/04/2008 22:56

Bwuh??

That's too bad! I'm sorry to hear that! I thought you've been doing a great job, by the way.

Couldn't you just alter your playing habits somehow? I mean, I'm sure that organizing everyone takes more time than the folks with villages my size are putting in, but how much time are you spending on this a day?? Again, maybe it's because I have a puny village, but I couldn't put more than 10 minutes a day into this game if I wanted to! I simply don't accrue resources fast enough to devote any more time than that...

Anyway, that said, I certainly don't want your account. I clearly don't know how to play this game very well, so that might be my issue in the first place smile

Re: A long-term time waster - 23/04/2008 23:36

I've been doing a great job because:
The first thing I do after waking up and turning off my alarm clock is logging in to Travian. It really helps me wake up by activating my brain. But I wind up there for 45 minutes with another 15 minutes before leaving for work, late, after wolfing down breakfast and not packing a lunch because I have no time.

I log in once or twice at work. For over five years at my job, I spent essentially no personal time playing online or chatting on AIM. I deducted time on personal phone calls from my work day, making it up later. And I do that for Travian, but at 30 minutes a day, my deficit of time is adding up.

The first thing I do when I get home from work is log in to send out raids, build things and review raiding data. I try to make it quick so I can do work until my raids come in hours later for me to send out before bed, but I often get sucked in.

And I know this is a problem. Like an addict, my habit is making me short change other things (ie: time for breakfast). I'm covering up my habit, minimizing the window at work if someone comes by; and I'm guilty all along. This isn't me. I don't sneak around and hide stuff like this.

Maybe there is a way to play less. But I'm so addicted to production efficiency, raiding opportunity, maximizing troop potential, etc. And the clock is ticking: log in xyz hours from now or your storehouses will overflow, etc, etc.

Failing a way to moderate my involvement, I've got to give it up.

My current, and hopefully final, stats 2.4meg PDF

Re: A long-term time waster - 24/04/2008 00:40

In that case, I'm sorry you have to leave, but I admire your self-awareness in quitting.

I agree completely about WOW. I never wanted to get into that because I knew I'd get addicted, and I just don't have the time and/or money to devote to it. I guess I started Travian because it requires less time investment, and is free if you want (I must admit, I bought some gold).

Re: A long-term time waster - 24/04/2008 01:11

I can totally see it. When you get to multiple villages, juggling resources to build up as fast as you can can get time consuming. The nice thing about WoW is that you can just not log in for few days or more, and nothing is really lost. The BAD thing about WoW is that you can play for 8-12 hours straight without running out of things to do. Ever. In fact, for the larger raid dungeons, you are REQUIRED to play for 8-12 hours straight. I quit playing WoW because I was spending an inordinate amount of time on it. My wife doesn't mind, as I see her all day at work, but she didn't have to be so nice about it.

With Travian, it starts as 10 minutes a day, but it gradually grows to consuming more and more time, if you want to be near the top. The fact that if you slow down you get crushed makes it difficult to just ignore the fact that your resources are wasting away if you aren't managing them. I can easily spend 2-3 hours a day managing my villages and I'm not even that big.

So, It sucks to see you go, but I can certainly understand. I nearly failed out of college due to MUD's, so I need to keep tabs on my habits as well.

Re: A long-term time waster - 24/04/2008 11:25

Hopefully I won't be gone - someone will take my account, so you'll still have that to help you in the game. If nobody here wants it, I'll offer it to my good friend who got me started on Travian (hm, maybe that makes him my enemy). He's been playing for 6 months though heavily farmed, I protected his settlers while he founded a new village, and now he's rebuilding. But with his leadership and love of the game, maybe he'll want to leave his half-farmed account and take over mine, leading you all to victory. But, to keep it in the family, let's see if anyone here wants it first.

Re: A long-term time waster - 24/04/2008 11:29

Well, sad to see you go! I can understand also. During the week, I just don't have that much time to log in and manage even my one small "town". When my internet was lost at home and I couldn't log in from work (site blocked) it almost killed my village. The constant upkeep makes the game a bit of a PIA. I'll stick around for a bit though. In a couple of weeks my work load will go down so I'll have more time to waste!

P.S. thanks for the troops!
Posted by: Armin

Re: A long-term time waster - 30/04/2008 07:34

I just came across this. S6, -259, -36. Bealz is my neighbor. I thought empeg was a stange name for an alliance at first...

Re: A long-term time waster - 30/04/2008 10:54

laugh -=Wave=-

Re: A long-term time waster - 02/05/2008 03:48

Hm, I don't see anyone at -259, -36. What's your username? I'll get you invited to the alliance in no time.

Re: A long-term time waster - 02/05/2008 11:22

This'd be easier if I wasn't dyslexic. -295, -36 Klaus of Klausthal.

I was wondering how to join the alliance. I guess an invite is required... That'd be great!

Thanks!
Armin

Re: A long-term time waster - 03/05/2008 02:21

Not sure of the legality of it, but HERE is a cropfinder, and it works.

Re: A long-term time waster - 03/05/2008 12:20

I just wanted to post and mention that my crazy resource building method didn't end up hurting me too much. Over the past couple weeks I rose from second to last place in the alliance to about the top third. It helped that I bought some gold, of course, but the main impact was when I finally found out how to properly meet building requirements, and also finally finding that damn rally point!

So now I'm building pretty well, I think.

Re: A long-term time waster - 03/05/2008 13:32

Coolness....

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 00:52

Firefox....

Sigh... Finally gave it up, I see. Sad to see you go, but I totally understand.

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 08:33

It is quite the time consuming game.

Firefox, where on the east coast are you?

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 09:01

Oh no!

Does this mean the alliance is falling apart before I got a chance to join?

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 12:02

I don't think it'll be falling apart anytime soon.

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 13:21

No, but we sure could benefit from someone taking over Firefox31's account. Preferably, someone in the alliance who's been playing for awhile and has a good familiarity with the game, but might not have built up their village as fast as they'd like. Also, someone who has some time to devote to the diplomacy stuff.

Sorry you couldn't find a good balance, FF31.

Re: A long-term time waster - 14/05/2008 19:23

I thought about it (taking on the responsibility), but as I'm #2 in the rankings, I'd rather keep my current account. L0ser is I think the most obvious choice, but it would require someone fairly to very active.

Re: A long-term time waster - 18/05/2008 22:28

I feel bad that I left all of you so suddenly. But now I see what life is like "on the outside." I've gotten so much done without the constant demand of the Travian clock. Play a little Zelda on the weekend and that's it for games - the only balance I could achieve.

The threads I left hanging: The United Travian confederation just barely got started, with only Firebird onboard and a few invitations pending. Ditch the whole idea. Merge with another local alliance or two of level headed people. Then, become a wing of a major alliance (FADA? Contact dustman. MoD? Contact glv999 (I think)).

Every now and then I think, "I sure hope my villages aren't being attacked. That would ruin my perfect record of no attacks." But there are more important things, like looking for a new job (yes, still employed). Heck, it would even be a better use of time to revive my Toyota Van.

Good luck out there.

Re: A long-term time waster - 19/05/2008 00:50

Well, for those of us HERE, it wasn't that sudden. FYI, there was no complaining on the forum, just a lot of ppl wishing you well. Bitt and Tony have ,at least for now, been gracious enough to accept the burden of leadership that sort of fell on them by default. (No one else was willing to take it.)

You DID go yellow today though. Tsk tsk.

Re: A long-term time waster - 30/05/2008 17:16

I'm being attacked! What the heck do I do???

*edit*

Oh, wait, I was already attacked. It looks like the attacker wasn't very good, though. He sent 280 of his lowest lever people after me, and stole about 3K in bounty from each resource, but none of my meager supply of troops were killed. Weird.

Well, I'll continue discussion of this on the Travian message board. Sorry to bother the empeg group with this smile

Re: A long-term time waster - 12/08/2008 23:44

Hey all, I'm getting pulled back into this for a week sitting two of my friends accounts. Phew, they've both got 8 villages; what a way to jump back in to the game.

Good to see my old account is still alive and growing. But not in an alliance? I hope it still hasn't ever been attacked.

Who else is still in the game, either on server 6 or the other server you joined? What's new in Travian?

Re: A long-term time waster - 12/08/2008 23:54

Still in there. The alliance is starting to fade away though. Talk of joining or merging with another alliance.

Re: A long-term time waster - 13/08/2008 12:09

Hehe, look me up sometime while sitting your friends' accounts.

Think 8 villages is bad, I now have 16. Including two 15c's one of which is my capital. With everything to 16's and 3 crop oases I'm making 42000 crop per hour in ONE village. Needless to say, I'm making troops 24/7 to use some of it up. It looks like the Natar will be showing up in a month or so, so things should start to get interesting.

Actually, send me an IGM from one of your friend's accounts and I'll set you as a sitter so you can poke around and look.

I'm e_lectric ingame, in case you don't recall.

The End of Empeg - 14/08/2008 18:35

Well, the time has come. Empeg the alliance is over. Later today to tomorrow it will gone. Is there anyone left from here playing?

Re: The End of Empeg - 15/08/2008 09:37

I'm still playing, but just to build up a huge amount of troops to crush PFF once and for all.

Re: The End of Empeg - 17/08/2008 22:48

Originally Posted By: petteri
Well, the time has come. Empeg the alliance is over. Later today to tomorrow it will gone. Is there anyone left from here playing?

I'm not surprised. I'm still playing because mysteriously, the guy that was crushing me for no good reason gave his account to someone else entirely. The new guy was a very rational person and agreed not to attack me if I promised I wasn't a threat. I wasn't anyway, so I agreed.

Now I'm just building up some villages to see how far I can do so. It's pretty much just a sim for me now. When the server ends, I won't be joining up again.

I did have a nice reprieve from the game recently, though. Has anyone here played the Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 1 yet? It's hilarious and quite fun, despite some rough edges. I highly endorse it, and despite its extremely short length, I got far more enjoyment out of it than Travian.

Re: A long-term time waster - 19/08/2008 15:39

Hey all, I'm getting pulled back into this for a week sitting two of my friends accounts. Phew, they've both got 8 villages; what a way to jump back in to the game.

Good to see my old account is still alive and growing. But not in an alliance? I hope it still hasn't ever been attacked.

Who else is still in the game, either on server 6 or the other server you joined? What's new in Travian?

The "new" FireFox31 is singlehandedly attacking a very large alliance, and goading them into wiping him off the map completely.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 01:33

Ah, good to see some of you were still in there. Sorry I forgot to check this thread for the week I was sitting.... I was too addicted to the game to do anything else online.

petteri: You hung in there all this time, stranded up in North East? Way to go. Too bad the empeg alliance is over. I checked their stats and they were (almost?) in the top 100 briefly.

lectric: That's SOME growth there. You'll be an asset to HK. The guys I was sitting for were in REVO, whom I believe is a friend of WK (who I'm guessing is a faction of HK).

BAKup: Ahhh, PFF. I should have killed him the day he joined and started sending me unintelligible messages. Crush him!! It's a shame the new FireFox31 didn't really even expand or do anything.

Dignan: Yeah, playing it as a sim is fun. The only way to really play is to have some pros on your team telling you what to do. Oh well, at least the game actually ends. That's the best part about it (unlike WoW and those).

Good luck with the Natars!! Enjoy.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 01:54

Actually, we would be enemies....

Oh, and I get a new village tomorrow! Woot! The game has certainly taken a turn to the more fun now. It's far less about resource management, and more about the war aspect as people jockey for position. With 18(19) villages, getting resources is a non-issue. Spending them is. I can produce enough in 1 day enough to do nothing but build troops for 5 days non-stop. The weirdest thing is that when you're the biggest in any alliance, people always assume you are the leader. I certainly get a vote, but I am certainly NOT the leader.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 02:08

Originally Posted By: BAKup

The "new" FireFox31 is singlehandedly attacking a very large alliance, and goading them into wiping him off the map completely.

Would this large alliance happen to be mine? =HK=300? If so, I can make them stop. Or I could personally wipe you if you'd rather. ;8^) J/K.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 12:28

Well, the new alliance got into a battle with FADA, and we pretty much came out ahead. I've gone from a peacetime footing to a more war based setup, and I'm getting ready to crush PFF as soon as he leaves ~Zely~.

I've been learned how to hold my own against someone who wanted to try to farm me, and right now I *still* have some of his troops in my traps in my 15C. Since he never did respond to my messages asking to stop, I'm going to just keep them there until he talks to me.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 15:55

lectric: Wow, the culture points alone to create those villages is astounding. You must have Town Halls all over the place. It's fun being the biggest.

How could it be hard to spend? Can't you keep upgrading weapons and armor, walls and residences, trade offices and marketplaces in every village? What about great barracks and great stables?

While sitting two accounts with 8 villages, the most intense task was moving resources between villages to avoid overflow and ensure constant building. Every time I logged in, I had every merchant in the empire traveling somewhere or offering resources on the market.

BAKup: Good work against FADA. They are massive. They seem so solemn and steadfast, like they would crush anyone without saying a word.

If only I could write an AI to play Travian for me, using my methods. That's the only way I'll ever see clay production and praetorians again.

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 19:36

Server 5 restarts next Friday. Now I've got the itch to get in at the ground floor.

Perhaps it's time to block s5.travian.com at my host file.
Posted by: tman

Re: A long-term time waster - 27/08/2008 20:00

Server 5 restarts next Friday. Now I've got the itch to get in at the ground floor.

Perhaps it's time to block s5.travian.com at my host file.

Step AWAY from the web browser now...

Re: A long-term time waster - 28/08/2008 00:46

Originally Posted By: lectric
Originally Posted By: BAKup

Would this large alliance happen to be mine? =HK=300? If so, I can make them stop. Or I could personally wipe you if you'd rather. ;8^) J/K.

Well, several members of your alliance are attacking us right now. The new Empeg/StThom alliance is called UN.

Re: A long-term time waster - 28/08/2008 03:20

I asked them to stop. We'll see if they listen. ;8^)

Re: A long-term time waster - 28/08/2008 03:24

@Firefox

I have 17 great celebrations running as we speak. My main 15c is fully upgraded. I mean fully, as in all buildings to 20, all researches for all troops to 20, Everything possible to do there has been done. I COULD build a great barracks/stable, but you can't in your main village. Suckage. What I REALLY need is great warehouses/granaries. Natars have to be out for that though. I'm working on bringing my 2nd 15c to completely upgraded.

Re: A long-term time waster - 28/08/2008 09:51

Well, I just noticed this morning that WW has been added to the stats, and I now see natar villages on S6.

edit: Bah, grammer.

Re: A long-term time waster - 28/08/2008 23:58

Yep, 9/1 they're coming!

Re: A long-term time waster - 29/08/2008 01:03

Quote:
17 great celebrations

Ha, it's funny that spending money is your challenge. Your World Wonder team will love you. I'm amazed that you got so far in 6-7 months.

Rock on, everyone. Don't let those barbarians overtake you!

......... see you on Server 5?!

Re: A long-term time waster - 29/08/2008 11:48

Yeah, it's about to get interesting....