Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping

Posted by: wfaulk

Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 16:53

Sometimes when I activate a window with keyboard commands, like Alt-Tab or Win, the mouse cursor will jump to the middle of the newly activated window. I have searched my mouse control panel and TweakUI for options that might activate this without any success.

Does anyone know how I can make this stop? It's driving me nuts.

I have an IBM/Lenovo 800dpi ScrollPoint Optical with the Lenovo MouseSuite v5.03.8 drivers. I have X-Mouse activation (but not raise) enabled via TweakUI. It's an IBM laptop that also has a trackpoint and a touchpad, with the UltraNav drivers loaded.
Posted by: tman

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 18:11

The Snap To option is off?

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 20:46

I don't see any option labeled "Snap To" in my Mouse Control Panel. There are a variety of other ones that seem to have a similar purpose. None of them are enabled.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 21:04

He means, control panel, mouse, pointer options, "Automatically move the pointer to the default button in a dialog box".

That, of course, is for the main Windows mouse driver. If it's not enabled there, then somehow there's a third-party program running (perhaps from the manufacturer of the trackpad or clitmouse) that's got the same option enabled.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 21:31

Hmm. They must have renamed it in Vista. I don't have an XP machine handy at the moment to check.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 01/10/2008 23:32

Yeah, that's not checked. Also, it's not dialog boxes, and it jumps to the apparent center of the window, not to any button.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 00:16

There is a more common windows way to set this. I've forgotten where it is.

Here is the PowerToys TweakUI screen.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 00:18

You got something like VNC installed? I had odd problems with my cursor in XP once because the drivers it uses to hook into the system were buggy.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 00:46

That's not it, either. That prevents background applications from activating themselves. I'm specifically activating an application and it warps the cursor to the window.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 00:47

I do have UltraVNC installed. I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens.

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 15:38

It's looking like it's a "feature" of X-Mouse. Not sure why I've never noticed it on any other computer.

Now I guess I have to decide if I want a stable mouse cursor or effortless window activation.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 15:48

Surely if it's a feature, it's one that could be disabled?

Edit: I mean if it's a sub-feature of the X-mouse feature, maybe there is a way to disable it, even if it means hand-editing a registry entry?

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 16:04

There are two bits in the Registry that control this feature. One turns activation on and off; the other turns autoraise on and off. I have the former on, the latter off.
Posted by: andym

Re: Annoying WinXP Mouse cursor jumping - 02/10/2008 19:29

Originally Posted By: tfabris
He means, control panel, mouse, pointer options, "Automatically move the pointer to the default button in a dialog box".

I fscking hate that option, you can tell at work whether a certain member of my team has been on a computer as that option is always enabled. It annoys me so much as I instinctively move the mouse down to the button to find the pointer on the screen has now dropped off the bottom of the window.