Sad Sad News

Posted by: Cris

Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 16:54

I'm afraid I have some very sad news to relay to you all.

Many of you will have met Godfrey (boxer) at meets and events over the years, his daughter has sent me a message this evening to let me know he has passed away today.

I don't have any more details at this point, but as the family supply them I will pass them on.

Godfrey was certainly one of the most unique and interesting people I have had the pleasure of knowing. And although I didn't spend as much time with him as I would have liked to I always enjoyed our conversations and his amusing tales.

I know the Empeg crowd was really important to Godfrey, it seems fitting to arrange some kind of tribute to him. I am willing to facilitate this, and would welcome fitting suggestions. If anyone would like to pass on any thing personal please PM me and I'll supply the details.

Cris.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 17:32

So sorry to hear that. I look forward to hearing how we can help. My condolences to his family.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 17:42

Shocked to hear this news! I've had the pleasure of meeting him twice at an Amersfoort Empeg meet. He was a very nice guy, as you say, full of interesting tales. My condolences to his loved ones.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 17:54

Jen and I are both sorry to here that. Our condolences to his family and friends. He was always a welcome sight at empeg events, and he and his stories will be missed.
Posted by: andy

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:07

Such sad news, I'll miss hearing Godfrey's tales of life in London in the sixties. My thoughts are with his family.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:10

:-( Definitely sad to hear the news. Glad I was able to meet him personally years ago at the 2004 empeg meet.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:29

I'll miss you, my friend.
Posted by: andy

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:35

For some reason every photo I have of Godfrey involves a plastic mac...

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:50

All our pictures seem to be about the empeg boat trips...

Edit - I should point out this is Nicola's favourite picture of Godfrey, and she has asked me to post it up. I think this was following a trip through the willow tree smile

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 18:55

The first meeting, it went something like this... "Did I ever tell you I met Rod Stewart....."

Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 19:17

So, so, sorry to hear that.
Posted by: andym

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 19:30

Originally Posted By: andy
For some reason every photo I have of Godfrey involves a plastic mac...

Ditto

He was an amazing bloke, never short of a story.

Hopefully he's up there, fiddling with God's train set and telling him (or her) about the time he met Rod Stewart.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 20:03

Thanks for sharing. That's really, really sad news. At times like this I recall the "Are you my friend?" thread about this community. Even though I haven't met many here in person, I feel that you are my friends and I will miss boxer quite a lot.
Posted by: pca

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 20:21

frown

Oh dear.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear that. He will be missed. Good bloke, generous, and a lot of fun.

pca
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 21:02

frown

tanstaafl.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 22:46

Looks like he was with us right up to the end too. Last On: 06/18/11 02:19 AM
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Sad Sad News - 20/06/2011 22:54

Yes, Sad Sad News.

I am feeling really fortunate that I met Godfrey.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 02:34

Seemed like a really decent fellow. Would have liked to have gotten to know him better. RIP boxer.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 03:07

never met him in person, only interacted here. sorry to hear it tho, seemed a nice chap!

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 03:32

I have some more information from Natalie his daughter. I think it's best if I just post what she has written...

I know that he really enjoyed spending time with you and the other Empeg guys. Thanks so much for the link, as the pictures show, he was so happy at the meets and I know he had a great time. He always came back and chatted about it. It's great to see so many pics of him, especially in the plastic macs! It made us smile. Also the lovely comments that people have left, we laughed that most people have commented about his 'my mate Rod stories'!

As you are probably aware, David, Ruari and I were due to leave for Oz soon, Sunday in fact. We had been all over the place visiting people before we go and yesterday we went down to Pool in Dorset to visit David's uncle. Dad had a mate - 'my mate Dave' (of the Rod Stewart gang) - that lived in Southampton and he asked if he could hitch a lift with us down there to visit him for the night. I spoke to him this morning to arrange to pick him up from the train station on our way back and he sounded absolutely fine.
When I rang him nearer the time to find out where to pick him up from, a woman answered the phone, she turned out to be the sister of a&e and told me that he had collapsed and was very unwell and the doctors were working with him.
We were only about 10 minutes away from Southampton Hospital so we made our way there. Unfortunately there was just nothing that they could do, they had worked on him for 40 minutes but they think that it was instant death by a heart attack. He had collapsed in a train station and the doctor said that he was probably dead before he even hit the floor.
We are taking solace from the fact that he wouldn't have even known it was coming and that he didn't suffer. Also that he had spent Father's Day in the back of our car with his grandson grinning at him, Ruari gave him so much joy. He spent his last evening with an old friend from the 60's who he used to hang around with and play music, so he would have had a great time.

There was no history or indications of heart problems, it was very sudden and completely unexpected. They are due to do a post mortem tomorrow or wednesday as it was a sudden death.

So it sounds like he didn't suffer and it was very quick. I think it's only this morning that I have realised how upset I am about this news frown

Cris.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 08:55

Claire and I both thought he was a lovely, fun gent, with some excellent stories - both on- and off-line.

We are very sorry to hear the news, he will be sorely missed.
Posted by: pedrohoon

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 09:38

R.I.P. Boxer, and condolences to his family.

Although I never met him, I will miss his posts, it really is like a big family here.
Posted by: julf

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 10:56

So sorry to hear!

Originally Posted By: Cris
There was no history or indications of heart problems, it was very sudden and completely unexpected.

I think there is a lesson there for all of us - about enjoying life to the full while we can!

Julf
Posted by: mlord

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 10:59

Such sad news. Boxer (Godfrey) was always a lively character and friend to all of us.

Over the years, I've accumulated a number of photos of him, from 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2008. Here are some of the better ones (plus more in the next post).

Amersfoort 2003 (above and below).

Posted by: mlord

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 11:04

And two more, from Cambridge in 2006 and again in 2008:
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 14:44

This is such sad news. I always enjoyed his posts and hoped one day to meet him.
Condolences to his family.
Bless you all for being such good friends.
Posted by: tman

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 14:47

That is very sad news. I'd never met Boxer in real life but I've always been interested to hear his stories and other posts on here.

Condolences to his family.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 14:57

Never met Boxer in person. Shame I won't have the opportunity. R.I.P.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 15:11

I don't know what to say. How could this happen?
Posted by: Taym

Re: Sad Sad News - 21/06/2011 18:19

Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
Thanks for sharing. That's really, really sad news. At times like this I recall the "Are you my friend?" thread about this community. Even though I haven't met many here in person, I feel that you are my friends and I will miss boxer quite a lot.

Ditto. My most sincere condolences. frown
Posted by: altman

Re: Sad Sad News - 22/06/2011 01:16

Sorry to hear this... I remember him having the best stories at all the meets, the sort of guy that's great to sit next to in the pub for the entertainment smile

Condolences to his family; his friends both here and irl will miss him.
Posted by: petteri

Re: Sad Sad News - 22/06/2011 11:01

I'm pretty upset to hear this. While I don't post here that often, I do read the posts here on an almost daily basis. I'm going to very much miss his contributions here.
Posted by: rob

Re: Sad Sad News - 22/06/2011 11:36

This is terribly sad. Godfrey was a great character of the empeg community and will be missed very much.

Rob
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Sad Sad News - 22/06/2011 11:37

Sad news. He will be missed frown
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Sad Sad News - 22/06/2011 21:17

We will be celebrating Godfrey at the empeg party in a special way, Saturday 9th July.
Posted by: dr_dos

Re: Sad Sad News - 23/06/2011 15:23

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've met him several times at Empeg meets since 2003. My thoughts are with his family.

Peter

Re: Sad Sad News - 27/06/2011 10:21

It will be Godfrey's funeral this coming Thursday, I'm going to attend and represent the empeg crowd. I think AndyM will also be coming.

I'm planning to make a gesture to the family on behalf of myself and the empeg community. I'm not sure if his family want flowers or a charity donation yet. If you would like to contribute to that then you can paypal me at(@) crismatthews.com

If anyone would like to send a more personal message, or in fact would like to attend then please PM me and I'll supply the details.

Edit - Just family flowers, all donations will go to The British Heart Foundation. If you would like to make a donation please PayPal me, I'll collect together and make sure Gift Aid is applied to maximise even international donations.

Edit 2 - To clarify, I will be making a donation from my own funds to the value of the amount collected (which is coming along thanks to those who have already sent) plus my own donation to meet the rules of gift aid, this makes a big difference to the charities.

Cheers

Cris
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Sad Sad News - 27/06/2011 14:55

I'm another who only knew Boxer through the his posts here. They were always a treat to read, and I'll miss them. My condolences to the family.

Re: Sad Sad News - 29/06/2011 06:00

Last chance to make a contribution if you'd like to. I'll be putting them all together this time tomorrow.

Big thanks to those who have already.

Cheers

Cris

Re: Sad Sad News - 30/06/2011 12:35

Well Godfrey had a fantastic send off in his local Church. Standing room only !!!

Really nice to see so many people, and a great set of pictures on the wall back at the pub.

In total we made a donation of £187.50 to the British Heart Foundation in Godfreys name, so a massive thanks to all that contributed. I know his family will be touched by the gesture.

Cheers

Cris