President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle

Posted by: drakino

President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 18:24

Err, sorry, I mean President Xi. Please don't fire me.

More specific to tech, I'm curious about the outcomes from this summit. On the surface some of it seems nice like users being able to know where their data is being stored. On the downside is the obvious government intrusion and desire for backdoors to the same data.

I've worked on a few projects now with Chinese specific versions. It's always been a weird part of the process to submit a version of an entertainment product off to their government for approval.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 19:58

I'm still confused about what a "casual newsreader" is. That's probably how I'd describe myself.

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 20:10

Likely a regional language difference. Newsreader (no space) is also known as a newscaster or news presenter, or more commonly called a news anchor here in the US.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 20:21

Originally Posted By: drakino
Likely a regional language difference. Newsreader (no space) is also known as a newscaster or news presenter, or more commonly called a news anchor here in the US.

You misunderstood. That's not the word I was confused about.

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 20:33

The casual part? I'd assume they meant independent newsreaders who may be part of one newscast one night (say the local NBC station), then possibly showing up on a different channel later (such as the local ABC channel).
Quote:
"Doordarshan keeps a list of freelance casual newsreaders. They are called for duty when there is a shortage of regular staff,"
Posted by: tfabris

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 22/09/2015 21:35

Interesting. I'd never heard the term "Casual Newsreader", but Googling for it, it seems like an Australian term or something like that.

To me, that term makes me think of using the Agent newsreader on Usenet in the 1990's. It was great at letting me "casually" read usenet and scroll through all my subscribed forums with the space bar, and I had shortcuts that let me easily ignore certain threads and cross posts. It was so very casual. :-)
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 23/09/2015 00:57

If you search on the term "casual labor", you'll get a lot of results. I was familiar with the term, but I forget why. It has a lot to do with labor law, but the surmise that it means something along the line of freelancer or contract player is likely correct in this context.

I am staying on the north side of the ship canal until President Eleven leaves town.
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: President Eleven and others from China visit Seattle - 24/09/2015 01:40

Why did this seem familiar? It came back to me:

In early '73, at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, I finished corpsman school but then had a 3-week wait for an advanced school at Fort Sam to begin. So, for 3 weeks, we were obliged to report to the "casual pool" where different units at Fort Sam could drive by and pick up some number of "casuals" to perform complicated tasks like raking leaves, mowing lawns, or painting rocks.