New Win 10 PC

Posted by: tahir

New Win 10 PC - 22/06/2018 15:37

Just set up a new PC at home, I HAD to create an MS account to complete setup, how long has this been a thing?
Posted by: BartDG

Re: New Win 10 PC - 22/06/2018 17:14

You still don't have to, but they did a good job of hiding the offline option. It's still there, but you have to look for it. (Sorry, can't tell you exactly where - I have to look for it everytime myself)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: New Win 10 PC - 22/06/2018 20:46

I remember having to do it with Windows 8.x, and now I sign into my Win8 and Win10 machines with a microsoft online account instead of a local machine account.

I also didn't know that there was an offline option for this. I might investigate that for my next Windows box, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Posted by: K447

Re: New Win 10 PC - 22/06/2018 23:18

Originally Posted By: BartDG
You still don't have to, but they did a good job of hiding the offline option. It's still there, but you have to look for it. (Sorry, can't tell you exactly where - I have to look for it everytime myself)
If you happen to remember how/where, please post it here.

I foresee a new Windows 10 (or whenever they call it next) laptop in my future. Not looking forward to it smirk
Posted by: jmwking

Re: New Win 10 PC - 23/06/2018 02:01

There's a small bit of text at the bottom of the MS acct page where you can skip and do the offline account thing. I'll be setting up a new Win10 machine next week; I'll get a screen shot (with my camera, because I think I can't do it in Windows before it's set up...).

-jk
Posted by: Dignan

Re: New Win 10 PC - 23/06/2018 03:05

I set up new computers all the time and can confirm that it's there on all Windows 10 installs. I also can't describe it perfectly, but the first time during setup that you see a screen talking about your MS account, there's text on the lower left that'll give you what you're looking for. Then in true MS fashion you have to confirm it on the next screen.

There are no downsides to a local account, IMO.

Also, I believe you can "downgrade" a MS account to a local account but I don't know where that is in the settings...

*edit*
Actually, it's easy to find. Go to Start > Settings > Accounts. Around the middle of that screen should be an option to "Sign in with a local account instead."
Posted by: Shonky

Re: New Win 10 PC - 23/06/2018 04:44

Here:
Posted by: tahir

Re: New Win 10 PC - 25/06/2018 11:58

Originally Posted By: Dignan
I set up new computers all the time and can confirm that it's there on all Windows 10 installs. I also can't describe it perfectly, but the first time during setup that you see a screen talking about your MS account, there's text on the lower left that'll give you what you're looking for. Then in true MS fashion you have to confirm it on the next screen.

There are no downsides to a local account, IMO.

Also, I believe you can "downgrade" a MS account to a local account but I don't know where that is in the settings...

*edit*
Actually, it's easy to find. Go to Start > Settings > Accounts. Around the middle of that screen should be an option to "Sign in with a local account instead."

Thanks Matt, I scoured that screen looking for a skip option, all that blue must have blinded me!

Re: New Win 10 PC - 25/06/2018 19:52

No problem. Christian's image is the one I see every time I set up a new computer. 9 times out of 10 I'm using that offline account.

On the other hand, it's pretty funny to me how many people have a Microsoft account and don't know it. I'll ask if they have one, they'll say no, I'll try their most-used email address anyway to check, and most of the time it goes ahead and asks me for a password, which then requires a reset because if they didn't know they had an account they certainly didn't know they had a password.

But that's all for setting up Office 365. I still set up Windows without the online account.
Posted by: Roger

Re: New Win 10 PC - 26/06/2018 08:40

On the other hand, it's pretty funny to me how many people have a Microsoft account and don't know it.

Oh, I know I've got one; still doesn't necessarily mean I want to use it for logging into my laptop.

Re: New Win 10 PC - 27/06/2018 01:25

Originally Posted By: Roger
On the other hand, it's pretty funny to me how many people have a Microsoft account and don't know it.

Oh, I know I've got one; still doesn't necessarily mean I want to use it for logging into my laptop.

I was talking about my clients. And I said the same thing.