Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome.

Posted by: tfabris

Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 14/08/2019 18:15

Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 15/08/2019 16:28

No text/media?

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 15/08/2019 16:36

On my screen, it's an embedded YouTube video. I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up for you. Perhaps blocked by some sort of content filter in your browser? Anyway, here's a link instead of an embed, maybe that will work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqT1DtLRAPk
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 15/08/2019 23:05

Works fine here. Nearly a year old but seems to be popping up in few places in the last few days.
Posted by: Taym

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 17/08/2019 08:35

OK. That is cool. smile
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 22/08/2019 12:36

Oh, want! PCA was years ahead
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 22/08/2019 18:44

Now, doing this with a quadcopter would be even more amazing. Like, shut-up-and-take-my-money amazing. Never mind that I'd probably get seasick playing it.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 23/08/2019 16:31

You can get a pretty decent idea what it would be like with a quadcopter by riding the Avatar ride at Disney World. smile

Re: Attn PCA: Teleoperation of RC car from inside a cylindrical dome. - 23/08/2019 20:51

I would get equally motion-sick from this, or from a headset view, either with a race car or a quadcopter.

With video games and theme park rides, they can tweak the controls/movements/view so that it reduces the tendency for motion sickness. For theme park rides especially, the motion simulator platform is a big part of it. "Cue Conflict Theory" they call it: The theory is that if you see vehicle motion but don't feel it, your body thinks it's been poisoned and tries to warn you by handing you back your lunch. So for the Avatar ride, they make sure the motion of the beast matches the motion of the projected view.

But for things like the race car in the video, and for a quadcopter, you neither have the corresponding motion platform, nor can you limit the player's movement like they do in VR video games. So yeah, I'd blow chunks.

Even with the stuff they do in VR games to limit motion sickness, there are certain things that some games do with vehicular control which still give me a nearly instant reaction. On paper, I would love racing games in VR mode, but the very first VR racing game demo I tried on PSVR, I went into turn 1 and had to take off the headset immediately. For space/air combat games, roll maneuvers generally cause that to happen, though some games seem to mitigate it better than others. For example, I'm mostly OK with the VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, and the VR missions in Ace Combat 7.