10TB HDD

Posted by: Taym

10TB HDD - 31/03/2020 16:13

Guys,

Any recommendation for 10TB HDD, these days? I may have to upgrade my home server.

Thank you!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: 10TB HDD - 31/03/2020 16:20

Here's the latest reliability report:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2019/
Posted by: Dignan

Re: 10TB HDD - 31/03/2020 17:48

Wow! I threw some 8/10TB drives in my Synology a little while ago to bring me to ~24TB total. I was at about 90% capacity and now I'm down to 30%.

I'll be using some of my quarantine on DVD ripping, I think.

*edit*

BTW, when I was looking for 10TB drives, they weren't super plentiful and carried quite the price premium. I ended up buying some WD MyBook drives and tearing them apart, which was quite fun laugh I'm not super concerned about the reliability of these things. I've had good luck with most WD drives. And I'm not using this as my only storage for the essential stuff, and the rest is stuff that's replaceable.
Posted by: mlord

Re: 10TB HDD - 31/03/2020 22:40

I have not tried any 10TB drives, but I do have a pair of 14TB Hitachi WDC drives here that were acquired last year. So far, totally trouble free despite a somewhat dodgy UPS which I finally replaced yesterday.

A bit noisy on head movements, but otherwise pretty quiet. Fast. Big. They are being used to hold/serve the video collection here now.

EDIT: They are actually WDC branded drives, not Hitachi.
Specifically: WDC WUH721414ALE6L4 Ultrastar "Data Center HDD"

I got them on a deep discount in 2019; current price here is CAD$500/each.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: 10TB HDD - 01/04/2020 11:39

I'm using a 10TB Hitachi (HGST) drive. Very happy with it. It's been rock stable for me and plenty fast, since I only use it as an additional storage drive (my desktop's OS and programs are on an SSD drive). This drive is actually a server/NAS drive since there are almost no desktop 10TB drives. But it works very good, and has been now for more than a year.

Re: 10TB HDD - 02/04/2020 07:44

I'd gladly buy two larger units, but they are really expensive, still!

Yes, Mark, same price here.

I'll try to wait a bit more, but mechanical drives don't seem to be getting cheaper as they used to.

Re: 10TB HDD - 02/04/2020 21:28

... and I just found this on Amazon.it:

Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC520 (HUH721212ALE604) HDD 3.5" SATA di Classe Enterprise 7200 RPM, 12 TB

at "only" € 374.04 , and 12GB, not 14GB like yours, Mark.

It seems a good deal, these days.
I may be going for it. Still undecided.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B071W4BVVT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A293E49NB6QZYB&psc=1

Re: 10TB HDD - 02/04/2020 21:46

My local shop has the 14T for CAD$100 less than the same thing from Amazon.. Not that that does you any good.

Re: 10TB HDD - 02/04/2020 23:20

Seagate Exos X14 Sata III [ST12000NM0008]
1200 GB, 7200 rpm

€ 300. Not too bad.

It's the best I could find on-line. Not on Amazon.
I haven't bought a HDD in a local shop for more than a decade. I would not even know where to go. smile

Re: 10TB HDD - 19/04/2020 14:45

Originally Posted By: mlord
I have not tried any 10TB drives, but I do have a pair of 14TB Hitachi WDC drives here that were acquired last year. So far, totally trouble free despite a somewhat dodgy UPS which I finally replaced yesterday.

A bit noisy on head movements, but otherwise pretty quiet. Fast. Big. They are being used to hold/serve the video collection here now.

EDIT: They are actually WDC branded drives, not Hitachi.
Specifically: WDC WUH721414ALE6L4 Ultrastar "Data Center HDD"

I got them on a deep discount in 2019; current price here is CAD$500/each.

Sigh.. It appears one can no longer blindly rely upon WD drives:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/...ected-channels/

The 14TB Ultrastars I got last year appear to have been superseded in the market by very similar SMR drives -- STAY AWAY!

The Arts Technica link above does have this useful tidbit for WD RED/NAS drives: Avoid those with an EFAX suffix. The "good" drives are those with the older EFRX suffix.
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: 10TB HDD - 19/04/2020 18:57

Originally Posted By: mlord
The Arts Technica link above does have this useful tidbit for WD RED/NAS drives: Avoid those with an EFAX suffix. The "good" drives are those with the older EFRX suffix.

Unfortunately even that isn't clear-cut. For example, the WD60EFAX (6TB) Red drive is SMR, but the WD80EFAX (8TB) and WD101EFAX (10TB) Red drives are (at present) not.

Bear in mind that WD have historically made significant changes to drives without updating the the model number at all -- for example, in an earlier iteration of WD Red 2TB drives, you could buy a WD20EFRX with either three platters (slower, heavier, hotter) or two platters (faster, lighter, cooler), with no way to determine which you had externally other than by weighing it. Hopefully the negative press coverage will discourage them from doing the same with SMR drives...

The best resource I've found so far to help determine is The HDD Platter Capacity Database, which lists the platters used in various models, and indicates whether they're likely to use SMR. But even that may not be 100% accurate and complete.
Posted by: jmwking

Re: 10TB HDD - 22/04/2020 19:52

Seagate weighs in:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tech...d-smr-dont-mix/

Belloni confirmed that Seagate is using SMR technology in some desktop hard drives but stressed that the company is not "submarining" SMR disks into NAS (Network Attached Storage) channels.

Seagate confirms that we do not utilize Shingled Magnetic Recording technology (SMR) in any IronWolf or IronWolf Pro drives—purpose-built for NAS solutions. Seagate always recommends to use the right drive for the right application.